• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More tournament options?

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking about how limited the Melee tournament scene is as far as maps and modes go, so I started thinking, would it be a good idea to have sub-events like stamina mode or item battles? Obviously it would be separate from normal events (like singles, doubles, stamina, something like that).

D

Deleted member

But that's the thing. Most serious, competitive players never want to deal with the intrinsically random nature of items. And of course stock matches with time limits have always been the standard for tourneys. With stamina mode, there is no time limit to dissuade camping/stalling. There are a lot of reasons why tournaments use the rule sets they do: to mitigate and minimize chance-based elements.

That being said, I am not a competitive player but I like to make my own tournaments every now and then using stamina and/or items.

BagrB0y

Smash Cadet
The reason these aren't used is because a lot of times they are random or good for the competitive integrity of the game.

Top Bottom