• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Than River City Ransom / Super Dodge Ball: Kunio! (Kunio Three Kingdoms/RCG2 at TGS, Oct. 2/3)

Are you planning on getting the Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle?

• Without a doubt!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Leaning towards yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Leaning towards no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Oddball

Smash Lord
He could be a fun character, but I'd much rather him keep the shirt closed. it's his more well known look.

This is Kunio-kun much more than

than this is.

Although to be perfectly honest, I'd still end up using this far more

But as long as his moves involving hitting people with nondescript sticks, trashcans, and tires, I'm cool.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Realistically, I have to agree with Oddball even if I like the added personality of Kunio's new look. If Kunio gets in I think the most likely palette choices would be something like several different colors for the closed shirt uniform and several different colors for Alex's clothes, maybe alongside an extra bit for the open shirt (since it seems to be the design they stick with in-game nowadays, but oddly enough not in any promotional art, likely to say "HEY GUYS REMEMBER KUNIO?!") and his sports uniform from Super Dodge Ball. To generate more excitement, I don't think it'd be too shocking to see Alex's clothes used in a special trailer for the west but hopefully still call him Kunio.
If anything though, even if Kunio had the open shirt as his main look first, it kinda makes him look too much like Kiryu Kazuma. I like this clothing design the best, personally.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think if Kunio gets in, there's a chance we'd also get Riki as an echo or alt costume.

And since Riki also wears his shirt open, having Kunio do the same means they don't have to do as much alteration to the model to do both of them.

To generate more excitement, I don't think it'd be too shocking to see Alex's clothes used in a special trailer for the west but hopefully still call him Kunio.
I don't think they'll even reference Alex, as even in NA they don't call him that anymore or use that appearance.

ArcSys seems to want to forget about it, and since Kunio is the Japanese original, I can't imagine much push from Nintendo's end to use it.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Apparantly Double Dragon's confirmed to be on Kunio-kun: The World Classics Collection, alongside the release itself being multi-language. That's pretty damn swell if it's true, especially if it comes with translated ROMs.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I hope this is still a thing. I'll be keeping an eye on it! :)
Gonna be a thing for as long as we're all around, the train don't stop won't stop. There's still hope for DLC if Nintendo of Japan's handling at least some of the DLC choices and Arc Sys isn't just hogging Kunio for Cross Tag Battle, as sweet as that would be, though for a game like that I'd prefer the Double Dragons.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Oh crap I forgot to mention; the world classics released in Japan some time ago, it's about everything you'd expect. Fortunately it's multi-language so you should be able to grab it on your Switch and understand what's going on.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Oh crap I forgot to mention; the world classics released in Japan some time ago, it's about everything you'd expect. Fortunately it's multi-language so you should be able to grab it on your Switch and understand what's going on.
Even the games that never came out in English are in English now?

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Even the games that never came out in English are in English now?
I don't have a single clue about the games themselves as of yet so I can't say, but the menus for the game selection, options and all that can at least be in English

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So I've recently picked up a great interest in Kunio-kun.
I've been meaning to play River City Ransom for over a decade, and I finally can thanks to the Nintendo Switch Online service. And I'm having a blast.

My first experience with Kunio was back in the NES when I played the Nintendo World Cup soccer game.

I've always been fascinated by the character design. And I would love to pick up that Collection up so I can experience more games from the series.

Also, count me in as a supporter!

Little fact. Back on the Wii, RCR was going to be my first game on the VC. But I forgot the name of the game. I ended up buying Urban Champion of all games. x_x worst $5 spent ever..

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So I've recently picked up a great interest in Kunio-kun.
I've been meaning to play River City Ransom for over a decade, and I finally can thanks to the Nintendo Switch Online service. And I'm having a blast.

My first experience with Kunio was back in the NES when I played the Nintendo World Cup soccer game.

I've always been fascinated by the character design. And I would love to pick up that Collection up so I can experience more games from the series.

Also, count me in as a supporter!

Little fact. Back on the Wii, RCR was going to be my first game on the VC. But I forgot the name of the game. I ended up buying Urban Champion of all games. x_x worst $5 spent ever..
Welcome to the crew, added you to the list. I personally never got why Nintendo had such a thing for Urban Champion. Granted, much like the Kunio series it was a pioneer of its time but c'mon.

This week's Watch Out For Fireballs was on River City Ransom too.
Really? I personally hope that they gave a mention to the Kunio-kun series as a whole, because to this day a lotta RCR fans still don't know about Kunio, even if that's changing faster than ever nowadays.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Really? I personally hope that they gave a mention to the Kunio-kun series as a whole
They do, but it's clear they don't know a ton about it, because they obviously haven't played anything that wasn't localized.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So in light of new Kunio games, sadly the new "official" one is just a Switch port of the Battle Royale one on Steam. There was however some minor news of a new game involving Kobayashi (so Thor of the Zombies in RCR) in Taiwan, but I think that's by the same guys behind some of the lesser-known Kunio mobile games -- just now officially licensed by ArcSys. Which, in my eyes, is pretty neat, since I kinda like their art style.

But more importantly...
https://gonintendo.com/stories/332956-wayforward-rating-for-river-city-girls-appears
Wayforward and (potentially) Kunio-kun?! I hope this doesn't just turn into another RCRU but rather actually gives some look into the world of Kunio. and everyone knows Shantae DLC in what could be a beat-em-up would have people throwing their money at the screen. Maybe if we tweet at them enough about this we could get some more info?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I wish they'd put Rival Showdown on Switch. As a remake of the original, it's the best place to enter the series.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
support ;)

This is a rare occasion where nostalgia and fond fun is enough for me to like the character getting into smash.
I wonder how remembered kunio is in japan.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I wish they'd put Rival Showdown on Switch. As a remake of the original, it's the best place to enter the series.
Agreed in terms of the western audience's case. River City Rival Showdown released at a kinda fair date in Japan but really only released very silently here in the west during the age of the Switch hype, not allowing for many people to know about it when it mattered most.
support ;)

This is a rare occasion where nostalgia and fond fun is enough for me to like the character getting into smash.
I wonder how remembered kunio is in japan.
Kunio still very much has his niche in Japan, in fact at some point back in March of last year, I think, or at some point he got into the 'other popular requested characters' section of a big Japanese gaming magazine's section on wanted Smash newcomers, though is nowhere to be seen on expected. I think that image is still in this thread somewhere.
...speaking of images, seems I have to reupload a couple. Never rely on SmashBoards to keep your images long-term. :p

He also very recently got a stage play that was overseen by Arc Sys Works, which is its own niche in Japan.

Also, everyone's been added.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It will be an instant buy from me for sure :)
I mean...it will be an instant buy from me once I'm sure it's a brawler and not some kinda dating sim.

But, if it's a real RCR game, made by WayForward, well, doesn't get much better than that.
Oh my GOD!!! ArcSys?? River City game?? WOW. DEFINITELY getting this.
The last, like, 3 RCR games were made by ArcSys(well, not Underground). They own the franchise.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I mean...it will be an instant buy from me once I'm sure it's a brawler and not some kinda dating sim.

But, if it's a real RCR game, made by WayForward, well, doesn't get much better than that.
The last, like, 3 RCR games were made by ArcSys(well, not Underground). They own the franchise.
Seems to me both Arc and WF are gonna be working on it together which bodes well, and while I do expect it to be a brawler like the others in the series, if it does happen to be different I'll probably still like it :p

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I kinda hope they change the art style to match the ones on the box arts.

Don't get me wrong, I love those NES sprites, but I'm worried it might be holding the series back for them to still be using them, even now.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Dating sim? Unlikely. WF currently has only two modes; Metroidvania and beat-em up. There's no question which they'll go for.

I kinda hope they change the art style to match the ones on the box arts.

Don't get me wrong, I love those NES sprites, but I'm worried it might be holding the series back for them to still be using them, even now.
I can trust in WF for their animesque leanings to shine through.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They do?

They all look like they use the chibi art style, and not the NES sprite style to me?
Depends on whether you're talking about in-game graphics or box art.

If it's the former, then like I said, I think WF will go for something different. Even if it's just using a more proportioned sprite style similar to that Super Famicom entry.

Unless WF has been so overworked that they'd jump at the chance to draw something "simpler". No idea what we're in for, really. :drshrug:

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was saying it would be nice if the in game graphics of one of the games looked like the box art the series has been using since it's inception.

Like, this guy and this guy don't even look like the same character. And never have, but that was excusable in the NES era.

But now they keep using the NES sprites out of nostalgia, and keep using the same box art, so the character continues to not look like he does in his own artwork, which is weird at this point.

And if Kunio was to end up in Smash, I can't image they'd make him look like a sprite. So it'd be really weird if a character was in Smash and looked a way that he never looks in ANY of his games. Hence, why it would be nice to have at least ONE RCR game where the characters looked like their artwork.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
At least it's better than this, lol

I like the nes graphics too for the game, including the nostalgia, but i wouldnt mind revamps so long as the game is still as fun (or more). Since the main protag will be a girl this time, I wouldn't mind a different style, but i'll just leave it up to them and see what comes out the other end :)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/wayforward_and_arc_system_works_announce_river_city_girls
For those who have yet to see it, River City Girls has officially been announced! If this game doesn't get some kind of reveal at E3 I'll be shocked considering the crowd on Twitter right now.
I’m so happy for this.
Glad to see WF going for another series I’m interested in.

I bet they’ll keep faithful to the overall design proportions. Maybe they’ll make them less blocky and more curvy (because... you know). And mostly, the character personality might receive a boost in perkiness.

Pretty much, I can see them Shantaezising the designs a bit. But only enough to still remain recognizable as Kunio-Kun franchise.

... now if you excuse me, I’m still real behind on the original RCR. :(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, it does makes me wonder, if Technos was still alive, if they'd do things differently than ArcSys (who obviously have no problems doing modern things for their in-house IPs, while doing this weird double-standard for the Technos IPs they own now).

Also, let's compare the recent Double Dragons. IV went full-on Retro under ArcSys' supervision, while WF's Neon looked totally different and much more badass (albeit being a good-natured riffing of the 80s), so it's likely that WF may not use the NES-style sprites at all (especially if it would limit the girls' looks).

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
https://twitter.com/kaynimatic/status/1119352102554226688
Seems at least one of the main animators for this game has been found. I really, REALLY hope this means that everything is, well, at least not animated in Flash if you get my gist. Like everything has an already drawn out frame and isn't just rotated in Flash. Now granted I don't mind that since it takes a lot to animate, but to make a great game be an awesome game you NEED to put a lot into it.
Either way, this person seems really promising!

I’m so happy for this.
I bet they’ll keep faithful to the overall design proportions. Maybe they’ll make them less blocky and more curvy (because... you know). And mostly, the character personality might receive a boost in perkiness.
Judging by WayForward's past and this animator we're getting... that's almost a guarantee. maybe they can even fix mizuzu's curse lmao

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think we can agree that no one wants to see that one in non-SD form. :p

https://twitter.com/kaynimatic/status/1119352102554226688
Seems at least one of the main animators for this game has been found. I really, REALLY hope this means that everything is, well, at least not animated in Flash if you get my gist. Like everything has an already drawn out frame and isn't just rotated in Flash. Now granted I don't mind that since it takes a lot to animate, but to make a great game be an awesome game you NEED to put a lot into it.
Either way, this person seems really promising!

Judging by WayForward's past and this animator we're getting... that's almost a guarantee. maybe they can even fix mizuzu's curse lmao
In fairness, the modern MLP showed that great things can be done with Flash if there's enough effort put into it, so I think we're in safe hands.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Exactly!

I wish I could find a video clip or gif of Sonic Swing in use, but I've looked around the net and haven't been able to find one.
Me too, but I'll also like to see Nitro-Port as well (add me as a supporter since Kunio seems to have potential for a beat 'em up character besides Billy/Jimmy Lee and Battletoads).

Top Bottom