• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Than River City Ransom / Super Dodge Ball: Kunio! (Kunio Three Kingdoms/RCG2 at TGS, Oct. 2/3)

Are you planning on getting the Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle?

• Without a doubt!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Leaning towards yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Leaning towards no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Really sorry if this counts as double-posting, but there's another important announcement that those watching the thread should know!
https://www.kuniokun.jp/kobayashisan/
The Kobayashi spin-off game has just been announced! Sort of! It's got a whole bunch of Japanese text a friend of mine put through google translate, and here's everything: https://pastebin.com/UKdCX9xP
By the sounds of it, it seems like it takes place in the future, and Kobayashi, otherwise known as Thor in RCR, is from the future or something along those lines.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I like how much weirder those kids from RCR become as the series progresses and gets more ridiculous...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Clearly, getting sucker punched in the stomach and carried off made her go, "Never again..." Try punching that gut now.

I guess at this point they've just completely abandoned the notion that Double Dragon takes place in a post-apocalyptic future?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seems to me like Neon is treated as its own thing that's separate from the main games (1-4), seeing how it, Nekketsu Kouha Kunio and The Combatribes all seem to co-exist in the same setting now (especially the latter, despite the fact that Martha clearly dies in her game of origin).

Either that, or time has passed long enough for society to rebuild itself into one where everyone is strong, and fists trump any laws. :4pacman:

Also, it seems that something changes during the endgame if you can find all of Sabu's statues and wreck them.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Double Dragon was always post apocolypse in the early games(just look at the skyline of the first level of DD1).

In fact, in RCR: Tokyo Rumble, Double Dragon is even a movie set. So none of those characters should be real people in RCR.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Aw, ****, my favorite DD villain is in the game!

Skullmageddon's easily the most out of place in this entire setting and not that known, so it's a wonder that WF decided him to bring him back for fun.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I'd be down for Kunio to get in if it means I can get "The Hunt" from River City Girls in Smash (preferably a smashing new remix)!

Considering its success so far I think there'd be at least one RCG song. But we're more likely to get remixes of classic Kunio songs.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Martha Splatterhead.... friggin, MARTHA SPLATTERHEAD! The Renegade Cyborg and fabulous babe is back. I never in a million years expected that.

They better have the "Cyborg's ain't ladies" line in there.

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
I saw Kyoko from River City Girls get brought up on this thread.
This makes me wonder. Do you think she would be a skin, an echo, or her own thing?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So the game does have characters from Double Dragon in it? I thought I was going crazy there for a second

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Sure, put me down for Kunio with Riki as an alternate skin.
As much as my extreme female character bias makes me much rather support Misako, I know that the original main character of the whole series deserves to make it in first (maybe I'll be shocked and we'll see Kunio, Riki, Misako, and Kyoko as the skins).
I mean, I've only just got into the series for the first time with River City Girls, but lets go classic with the designs and base them off their Super Famicom art from Shin Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-tachi no Banka, but perhaps modernized/mixed with elements from different versions like was done with Richter Belmont being primarily based off of Rondo of Blood but with a few touches from later iterations of his character. I do think it'd be cool to keep the 90s anime artstyle though, no one in Smash has that thus far.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I saw Kyoko from River City Girls get brought up on this thread.
This makes me wonder. Do you think she would be a skin, an echo, or her own thing?
More likely than not she'd be a Spirit, since she does play a role in Shin Nekketsu which is a fairly old game. I could see her colors being used in one of Riki's outfits though.
As for her fight, it'd be a bit hard to pin down. Maybe Peach.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I just hope that if we get Kunio, he comes with the Double Dragon theme. Which is, honestly, the best part of the entire Double Dragon franchise, and DOES appear regularly in RCR games.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I just hope that if we get Kunio, he comes with the Double Dragon theme. Which is, honestly, the best part of the entire Double Dragon franchise, and DOES appear regularly in RCR games.
If it ain't coming with Kunio then it'd likely come with the Bimmy and Jimmy Mii costumes. And this too.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Okay, so I've finished River City Girls. My thoughts:

I think it looks really good and I mostly enjoy the writing.

Tonally, this game feels a LOT like River City Underground did. Like, right down to having labs creating zombies and such.

And, I know I said the exact opposite before, but after playing this, I think maybe some of the more ridiculous elements of this game don't fit with the Kunio-kun setting. All the stuff with the skeletons and the robots and such worked a lot better in Double Dragon Neon than they did here. I think I prefer Kunio just being about martial arts high schoolers with the occasional ki power.

I'm also not quite certain I like the way it plays. It's not bad, but I think Rival Showdown plays better.

Also, a lot of people are raving about the music...but I don't really care for it. The various Noize songs are not the type of music I would normally listen too, and I also think they aren't at all fitting the mood of people getting punched in the face.

That said, the amount of obscure lore **** the makers of this game have not just for Kunio, but for all of Technos' brawlers is crazy. There's a freaking Combatribes enemy in this game for crying out loud! And the conversation at the end with the bonus boss? That's some good lore nerd stuff.

Overall, it's a good River City game. But I think Rival Showdown is better.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Okay, so I've finished River City Girls. My thoughts:
Yeah, I really felt like most of the music wasn't made for a beat-em-up in general. Granted some of it is really good, but most of it honestly felt like background noise, and I was really hoping the general music would be a lot more punkish like the first track. Two of my favorite tracks have to be The Hunt and the Abobo Boss theme, and I like how Don't Give A... sort of sounds like the RCR main theme.
I just wish that they took the chance to reference more Kunio games in their music. I mean, maybe they did, but I'm just not hearing it due to how it's remixed? And quite a few of the animations at least reference some Kunio-kun games, like how [REDACTED SECRET BOSS] sort of references one of Nekketsu Katakou Dennsetsu's mechanics.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Two of my favorite tracks have to be The Hunt and the Abobo Boss theme, and I like how Don't Give A... sort of sounds like the RCR main theme.
I just wish that they took the chance to reference more Kunio games in their music. I mean, maybe they did, but I'm just not hearing it due to how it's remixed?
Well, I think you might actually have most of the RCR themes in the game. There's the shop theme, Abobo's boss theme is the RCR boss theme. And, I'm not sure, but I think the music that plays in the playground in Downtown is a heavily remixed version of the normal streets theme of RCR.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I’m kind of slow on this since I have a lot of characters on my mind, but I JUST remembered Kunio could essentially cargo-hold (better than DK). And yes, this is essentially part of the moveset on the OP, sorry. But I just love the idea of cargo-hold characters. And Kunio would be amazing mostly for this.

BTW where do the sprites from the OP moveset come from? It looks like an amazing game! Tbh I’m kind of getting bored/stuck in RCR, but the move variety from the moveset in the op caught my eye. It looks really fun!

Also, I was too lazy to post this the other day,
What do you guys think about that new Kunio arena brawler game?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
BTW where do the sprites from the OP moveset come from? It looks like an amazing game!
That's either Tokyo Rumble or Rival Showdown.

Get Rival Showdown, it's probably the best River City game, and is a stealth remake of the first River City Ransom as well.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Also, I was too lazy to post this the other day,
What do you guys think about that new Kunio arena brawler game?
It ain't exactly anything new since a much older version is already on Steam, but I do like the new mechanics that actually encourage some combos. I played the older PC version and it kinda felt really slow on that. I also really hope they get a somewhat better translation team.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Alright, so for some reason I can't change the poll so lemme ask this question since it's been a while:
For those that have played River City Girls, are you enjoying it/did you enjoy it?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Alright, so for some reason I can't change the poll so lemme ask this question since it's been a while:
For those that have played River City Girls, are you enjoying it/did you enjoy it?
I loved it. I'd never played any River City games before (or really any beat-em-ups before, tbh) but I found it really fun. As far as gameplay goes it wasn't my all-time favorite or anything, but as far as the visuals, music, writing, and just about everything else, I loved it. I was smiling 90% of the time I played it. I only really played it because I'm a fan of WF (and also I'm a fan of cute girls) but I'm glad I did.

Also you can put me down as a supporter I suppose. Kunio is definitely a pretty influential and important character. I recognize him despite not caring about beat-em-ups at all. He seems like he's on the same level as Ryu Hayabusa in my mind, except Kunio has a possibility of bringing Kyoko and Misako with him in some form.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
New trailer for River City: Melee Mach! It's showing off the canceling system.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Huh. I thought I posted this before but appears I didn't. Here's a list of Kunio-kun/Double Dragon cameos in River City Girls
There was a problem fetching the tweet

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tting_a_western_release_and_its_out_this_week

Welp, it looks like River City Melee Mach on Switch is indeed getting imported, and it's releasing in a couple of days for a steal.

I suppose that Thor/Kobayashi's spin-off will get that next.
That's actually really shocking (and nice!) though it also makes me VERY concerned about its potential shoddy English translation. The ArcSys Kunio games on Steam aren't exactly known for their great English, though maybe it'll make for some funny screencaps.
Either way, here's to hoping they made a profit so Kobayashi's game potentially gets better.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
River City Melee Mach is now out! If the game gains enough traction I'll see about talking with a mod to make a poll for it.

Also, more info on Stay Cool, Kobayashi-san is here. It's getting a worldwide release this November 7th!
https://www.kuniokun.jp/kobayashisan/en/

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I like that Kunio design in Kobayashi.

1570737824885.png

He needs his trademark face bandage though...

Last edited:
Top Bottom