• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Than River City Ransom / Super Dodge Ball: Kunio! (Kunio Three Kingdoms/RCG2 at TGS, Oct. 2/3)

Are you planning on getting the Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle?

• Without a doubt!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Leaning towards yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Leaning towards no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
In all honesty, I'm kinda so-so on it. At one point yeah it's feel-good, and people say it's consistent with the trailers where they're, say, at a table together. And that's adorable. But take a deeper look at that scene though. Kunio and Riki are 100% disinterested, Kunio's just looking out the window and only looks at the two to snatch a good piece of food, and Riki's just looking at his phone the whole time.
I have a feeling they did it just to appease all the people who thought the end scene was weird, though at the same time at least it's a proper secret ending.
Honestly it feels like:
These characters kinda blew up with this game and became popular. And it'd be kinda hard to keep using them going forward in the series if they're just perpetually psycho stalkers.

I too enjoyed the joke the way it was before. But if these two are going to become regulars(which things like Code Shifters suggests they are), it makes sense for them to do this.

That said, it's still possible to read the new ending as they're not actually Kunio and Riki's girlfriends. As they call them "you girls" and it almost seems like they're just inviting them along because they're there.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I liked the original ending a lot better than the new one.

In all honesty, I'm kinda so-so on it. At one point yeah it's feel-good, and people say it's consistent with the trailers where they're, say, at a table together. And that's adorable. But take a deeper look at that scene though. Kunio and Riki are 100% disinterested, Kunio's just looking out the window and only looks at the two to snatch a good piece of food, and Riki's just looking at his phone the whole time.
I have a feeling they did it just to appease all the people who thought the end scene was weird, though at the same time at least it's a proper secret ending.

That said, it's still possible to read the new ending as they're not actually Kunio and Riki's girlfriends. As they call them "you girls" and it almost seems like they're just inviting them along because they're there.
I'm going to go with that. In fact, I'm going to go with the idea that Kunio and Riki don't see themselves as having girlfriends as much as they think every girl loves them. There's girlfriend is whoever is there at the moment.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

This is expectedly awesome yet equally "Ah, alright"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't know what that says.

Edit: Oh, it's a spirit event. Well, that's disappointing.

I was hoping we'd at LEAST get a Mii Brawler costume. But I guess this will have to do.

Good news for Sol Badguy fans I guess.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I don't know what that says.

Edit: Oh, it's a spirit event. Well, that's disappointing.

I was hoping we'd at LEAST get a Mii Brawler costume. But I guess this will have to do.

Good news for Sol Badguy fans I guess.
TBF, I wouldn't count a Mii costume out either for you guys, especially if Sol happens.

smash puffle

Smash Ace

This is expectedly awesome yet equally "Ah, alright"
I wasn't expecting this at all honestly. This is a little suspicious, hmm...

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Well, while the iron's still hot. I haven't exactly paid attention to spirit board events, what were a few of the past ones? Did Ubisoft ever get a spirit board event? I'll edit this post with stuff I find out, I'm just wondering if Kunio's REALLY deconfirmed (which is likely the case) or if Sakurai is setting us up for another crazy train ride and opens the floodgates.

Remember, Kunio was listed in one of the other choices in "most popular" but nowhere to be seen in "most expected" within one of the most popular Japanese Smash Ultimate polls back in... March 2018, I think it was? Around then? It's somewhere in this thread, for those who want to see it. This is an excellent way to turn eyes on Kunio.

Even if he is deconfirmed, there's still hope for classic Technos reps Billy and Jimmy Lee.

EDIT: https://www.ssbwiki.com/Spirit_Board So take a look at this. Notice anything peculiar? All the spirit board events so far are for series that already have presence in Smash, or are from games/series exclusive to Switch. Normally Spirits alone, especially Spirits from updates, should deconfirm someone, but what about an entire Spirit Board event for a series from a company that has never been represented?
Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but even if it deconfirms Kunio the chances of some Arc Sys character has definitely heightened, this is something new here,

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Unless it's an intentional bait and switch(which I don't see it being) they wouldn't have a RCR spirit event if they were planning to add the character, they'd come WITH the character.

Honestly, I prefer it this way. It's better to know he's not happening this time around than to waste my energy on false hope.

Even if he is, there's still hope for classic Technos reps Billy and Jimmy Lee.
I kinda hope that doesn't happen, as they're very redundant with Kunio. If we get Billy and Jimmy, that would probably kill Kunio's chances for future games as well.

Last edited:

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice
Misako and Kyoko haven't been deconfirmed yet so I choose to believe!

...yes I'm in the Denial phase

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was more expecting the Lee brothers to happen anyways. Gotta have the opportunity for that Battletoads team-up to become canon, and all. Also, there's an easy way to differentiate the Brothers from Kunio and Riki: Kunio and Riki focus on using anything as a weapon, while the Brothers use bare-handed martial arts. This isn't exactly a swordsmen differentiation situation.

But hey, look on the bright side, this event will increase exposure for Kunio. Even NL recognizes that Kunio hadn't always gotten much attention outside Japan.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...later_this_week_four_new_spirits_up_for_grabs

It's probably the best outcome for this time, since Smash demand for him hasn't exactly been too high worldwide for now.

Misako and Kyoko haven't been deconfirmed yet so I choose to believe!

...yes I'm in the Denial phase
Let's just hope that you skip Anger.

new-understanding-the-stages-of-grief-1.png

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sorry for your loss Kunio fans. While I never really played the Kunio-kun games, I researched the series while doing a RTC post and I think it'd be worth seeing Kunio playable sometime in the future.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
I'm hurt yet happy.

Then again, I was one of the ones who were killed by RE.
Anyway, it's not too bad, right...?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm hurt yet happy.

Then again, I was one of the ones who were killed by RE.
Anyway, it's not too bad, right...?
Better than nothing, but I still think he could have at LEAST made a great Mii Brawler.

Something I could give them money for, to show my support for next time.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, this is new.

And I all wanted to do was to boot up this game to wind down. Gah.

My heart's sunk down. I truly feel Kunio would have been such a perfect addition of a 3rd Party on Smash due his cult following and cool spinoffs (Dodgeball-series). and having this on-going recency to boot... :urg:

I guess what's more worrisome is that Spirit-based deconfirmation will be quite a norm then for next two years, probably cutting off various forms of support followings to a full halt.

Hoo boy.

I can only hope ArcSys lets Kunio join in to the upcoming Guilty Gear-title to give him the glorious treatment he deserves.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Hi guys, Doomslayer fan here, I feel for everyone here right now upset about current news about our characters. :(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's not turn this into a pity party, at least RCG and this event have raised awareness for Kunio overall. Also, nothing says we won't get more completely pointless spirit events with silly themes in the meantime.

Besides, I wasn't really expecting much to happen in this case, seeing how there wasn't much visible Kunio campaigning webwide in the Smash 4 days.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Let's not turn this into a pity party, at least RCG and this event have raised awareness for Kunio overall. Also, nothing says we won't get more completely pointless spirit events with silly themes in the meantime.

Besides, I wasn't really expecting much to happen in this case, seeing how there wasn't much visible Kunio campaigning webwide in the Smash 4 days.
Eh, just wanted to shown sympathy for those who think their character is done for. Especially since there is quite the amount of people who are happy with Doomslayers chances being over. Just wanted to be positive.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Have any of you bought Cuphead Mii? Canucks need love, too.
I honestly hope a lotta people buy it, Cuphead was an extremely good game that managed to get "flavor of the month" status too, which made me kinda sad to see the sheer hype for it fall down (at least in my neck of the woods).
A lot more games need to be stylized, like Cuphead and even Okami. Glad PMDX is doing it too... to a degree.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm more baffled about the fact that Kobayashi isn't getting a spirit, even though he just had a game. Spirit team, you had one job! :drflip:

On a side note, the DA artist Karakato recently did a nice little WF tribute sprite art.

EOfEAMKU0AArBCL Karakato.png

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I like the games, but still didn't expect 'any' smash recognition, so while it's sad that it may deconfirm them, I think it's amazing they have a presence in smash :)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At the same time, I can understand why; a while ago, Sak did state that they were running out of big-name Japanese series/companies to include for major content, so in a sense, this spirit event is basically a statement in regards to reaffirming this view, especially since :ultbanjokazooie: may be a sign of what's yet to come.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Yeah well for better or worse is that maybe we are getting the Lee brothers in the future as they are more popular across the world than Kunio characters. Or we are getting the girls as they are new and popular.

An idea was to include Lee brothers, Kunio characters, RCG and Renegade as skins similar as the Koopalings.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Maybe it's just me but anyone get vibes that the Kunio Spirit battle had the Mii wearing his outfit from the Western version of Renegade?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ugh, Double Dragon billed over Kunio...stupid Westernization...

Also, calling it a Brawler Bundle is dumb given that half the games are sports titles.

Kinda surprised it's not called Double Dragon & River City...

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Are these all the games so far?

Dumb question, but is Double Dragon Neon included?

If Kunio couldn’t make it to Smash, I hope Billy/Jimmy do with their Neon designs, abilities, and personalities.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While this smacks of "Sonic & Sega All-Stars", at least ArcSys finally took a chance to actually translate the Japan-only Kunio titles. Guess they needed Smash's exposure for that so it wouldn't be a money sink.

Though I will say, I would have found it hilarious if they gave you the option of both playing DDII on Game Boy and Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun: Bangai Ranto Hen.

Are these all the games so far?

Dumb question, but is Double Dragon Neon included?

If Kunio couldn’t make it to Smash, I hope Billy/Jimmy do with their Neon designs, abilities, and personalities.
So far it doesn't seem to be the case for Neon as it focuses on both series' classic titles.

I wouldn't guarantee personalities, but they could definitely get aspects and moves from all their appearances.

Last edited:
Top Bottom