• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Than River City Ransom / Super Dodge Ball: Kunio! (Kunio Three Kingdoms/RCG2 at TGS, Oct. 2/3)

Are you planning on getting the Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle?

• Without a doubt!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Leaning towards yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Leaning towards no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Oddball

Smash Lord
I think the River City Spirit Even was kinda odd. It just seemed conspicuously lacking in spirits. Just four of them and they all came from the same game.

No sports titles, no Alex from River City Ransom, none of the SNES stuff, no River City Girls, not even any actual artwork was used.

It makes me wonder if maybe something larger is being planned.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think the River City Spirit Even was kinda odd. It just seemed conspicuously lacking in spirits. Just four of them and they all came from the same game.
All the stand-alone spirit events have been like that. Sword/Shield, Astral Chain, Daemon Ex Machina, Resident Evil...all only 4 spirits.

I mean come on, if they couldn't do more than 4 for RESIDENT EVIL then clearly they're capping themselves at 4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Besides, we all know how much of a blatant love affair ArcSys has for the NES Kunio sprites. It takes either the original series creators or other outside developers for any other aesthetic to be used for that series nowadays. I bet they told the smash staff to specifically only use sprites.

Anyway, Code Shifter is out, I guess.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
All the stand-alone spirit events have been like that. Sword/Shield, Astral Chain, Daemon Ex Machina, Resident Evil...all only 4 spirits.

I mean come on, if they couldn't do more than 4 for RESIDENT EVIL then clearly they're capping themselves at 4.
You're right. My mistake. I was thinking of the other spirit events where they used a bunch of spirits that were already in the game and fit them into one theme, not the original spirits.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So, uh, Code Shifter is out.
It's already leaving a confusing taste in my mouth. Like this is someone's very first... something.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Basically, it's someone's self-insert fan fiction story, a flash cartoon from the '00s, Pocket Rumble and a fan-made game all put into a blender, then set to the purée setting.

I want to know who wrote and directed this game so that I can question their thought process, if this is their rebuttal to not getting Kunio playable in Smash.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Basically, it's someone's self-insert fan fiction story, a flash cartoon from the '00s, Pocket Rumble and a fan-made game all put into a blender, then set to the purée setting.

I want to know who wrote and directed this game so that I can question their thought process, if this is their rebuttal to not getting Kunio playable in Smash.
Well let's see... looking at the thumbnail it's... copyrighted in 2015?

Surely they must have updated the copyright since that long ago... right? Right?
But regardless, that's on the very freaking title screen.

I tried to see if any of the companies involved might have to do with who wrote this absolute mess, but it seems they're all mostly small game companies, one of them known for making not-Lego/not-Minecraft games. I guess we'll have to wait and see who beats this game. Or, god I don't want to judging by impressions, play it ourselves.

Oddball

Smash Lord
So, you're controlling characters that control characters that turn into other characters.

There's at least one level too much there. The fact that each level of character has it's own art style really doesn't help.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Now HERE'S something worth looking at! Officially announced, and it's gonna be out near the end of this month!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh dip, they're actually localizing all those other games?!
Honestly, it seemed pretty obvious to me, since the leak listing had translated titles on the game's main graphic.

Doesn't make it any less sweeter though. The cancelled release for the hockey game has finally been done justice. I'll have to see if I can get some more PSN funds for this.

From what I can gather, it appears that you get to play both the Western and original versions of the Kunio games that were brought over decades ago.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I pre-loaded the Double Dragon and Kunio collection; I'm a sucker for retro collections, and it seems like there's quite a bit of variety in there. Kunio seemed to be like Technos's version of Mario or Mega Man back in the NES days, seeing as he was in way more sports games (or game genres in general) than I expected. (I was under the impression that his games were all beat-em-ups)

Out of the games in the collection, I've only played a bit of River City Ransom and a small amount of Double Dragon, so I'll be interested to see what the other games are like!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I pre-loaded the Double Dragon and Kunio collection; I'm a sucker for retro collections, and it seems like there's quite a bit of variety in there. Kunio seemed to be like Technos's version of Mario or Mega Man back in the NES days, seeing as he was in way more sports games (or game genres in general) than I expected. (I was under the impression that his games were all beat-em-ups)

Out of the games in the collection, I've only played a bit of River City Ransom and a small amount of Double Dragon, so I'll be interested to see what the other games are like!
The only downside is that Technos relied on Kunio to the point that they just did games for him after a while, and that bankrupted them, whoops.

That said, the collection is so fantastic that it's a shame that only the Game Boy and Super Famicom entries are missing.

Granted, all of the sports in here involve close contact or hitting people, so...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I played a bit of the Double Dragon and Kunio-Kun Retro Brawler Bundle. My plan, as of now, is to play the games in release order so I can see how they evolved, though the first game (Nekketsu Renegade Kunio-Kun) is a bit rough. (the controls take some getting used to, since the button inputs seem to change completely depending on which way you're facing - punching is A if you're facing right and B if you're facing left, for example)

I figure the game's going to be tough (one of the achievements is for beating the first level), so I might try another game rather than sticking with this one.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
the controls take some getting used to, since the button inputs seem to change completely depending on which way you're facing - punching is A if you're facing right and B if you're facing left, for example
A better way to think of it is "B attacks Left, A attacks Right"

But yeah. Renegade is different than the other games because Renegade(at least in the arcade) is just straight up 1 player Double Dragon.

It's not till RCR that all the things that the series considers, the Kunio-kun series, come into existence.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I played a bit of the Double Dragon and Kunio-Kun Retro Brawler Bundle. My plan, as of now, is to play the games in release order so I can see how they evolved, though the first game (Nekketsu Renegade Kunio-Kun) is a bit rough. (the controls take some getting used to, since the button inputs seem to change completely depending on which way you're facing - punching is A if you're facing right and B if you're facing left, for example)

I figure the game's going to be tough (one of the achievements is for beating the first level), so I might try another game rather than sticking with this one.
Oh, like Double Dragon 2!
Yeah I hated that scheme. But like DarthEnderX said, think of it like attack left and attack right. Kick is good for retreating.
But at least I gotta give DD2 props for improving the hitstun that DD1 lacked.

Can’t wait for your full opinion of all games to see if I should pick it up in the future. Considering DD1 and DD2 are already on the NES Online service, so it would be mostly for the Kunio games, from which we only have 2.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I skipped ahead to try Double Dragon and River City Ransom, since the collection had fairly easy achievements for both (beat level one of Double Dragon, eat all of the meals from the Sushi Bar in River City Ransom). Either I haven't played Double Dragon 1 before, or I forgot that it had a leveling system where you unlock new moves. (though I probably would have only known about the new moves part thanks to the manual in this collection)

I'm surprised at how forgiving River City Ransom seems to be, especially for an NES game. There don't seem to be any lives (at least, as far as I can tell) - if you die, you just respawn in the nearest town with half of your money (which can easily be regained by beating up thugs). By contrast, running out of lives in Double Dragon forces you to restart the game, and dying in Nekketsu Renegade Kunio-Kun forces you to restart the level.

I don't know if I'll focus on River City Ransom or the newly-translated Japanese version (by my understanding, they're basically the same game, with RCR being re-skinned for a western, or at least non-Japanese, audience), but I'll stick with one of those for now when I play this collection, and I'll likely pick up River City Girls when my next paycheck comes in.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I downloaded the pack.

I'd forgotten what it was like to start playing a game with no idea where to go or what to do. I think I've gotten too used to game holding my hand and forcing tutorials on me.

Also, I'd love to see a Crash and the Boys costume for Alex/Kunio. Maybe give him a historical drama Kunio costume to even it out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I beat River City Ransom (or rather, the Japanese version in the Switch collection, Downtown Nekketsu Story). It was fun, felt surprisingly ahead of its time in a lot of ways, and made me want to play the Scott Pilgrim game again. That isn't available digitally, however, so I'll try River City Girls now.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Well boys, we may or may not be back in business!
With Min Min around (and a very big congrats to those who wanted her in, ARMs is first party so that's always great), spirits should be back on the table for the realm of possibility now.
Of course, Min Min is a base and Kunio is an extra spirit, so if you're really wanting to stretch the "rules" a bit Kunio may still have a bit of trouble, but regardless, this is gonna be interesting.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Of course, Min Min is a base and Kunio is an extra spirit, so if you're really wanting to stretch the "rules" a bit Kunio may still have a bit of trouble, but regardless, this is gonna be interesting.
Yeah, but anyone trying to stretch the rules like this is just being contrary for the sake of it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, DLC anything seems to have a more definite intent. It'd be a bit of time crunch to put out a DLC spirit, then turn around and make one of them playable, when there are other things to prioritize. Barely a stretch at all, if you ask me.

I'm just grateful that River City Girls is getting some new stuff, at least. Especially after Code Shifter...

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
As far as I see, DLC anything seems to have a more definite intent. It'd be a bit of time crunch to put out a DLC spirit, then turn around and make one of them playable, when there are other things to prioritize. Barely a stretch at all, if you ask me.

I'm just grateful that River City Girls is getting some new stuff, at least. Especially after Code Shifter...
I dunno man, the Kunio spirits, as nice as they are to have, look like they'd take basically no time to put out. They probably quite literally just used the stock sprites they've had lying around for decades.

That being said, holy HELL Code Shifter was a disappointment. I think everything in it had great potential, even the whole weird plotline, but it just felt like shovelware from my experience.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dunno man, the Kunio spirits, as nice as they are to have, look like they'd take basically no time to put out. They probably quite literally just used the stock sprites they've had lying around for decades.

That being said, holy HELL Code Shifter was a disappointment. I think everything in it had great potential, even the whole weird plotline, but it just felt like shovelware from my experience.
Yeah, but not every company can get someone playable in the same game at once, especially since Sak recently reiterated how Pass 2 is this game's final DLC wave. I'm fine with Kunio only getting those sprites for this time, because at least a lot of prospective new supporters got exposed to his series.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I guess now's a better time than ever to bump the thread a little for exposure.
But check THIS out.
This is from a baseball gacha mobile game in Japan that recently had a Kunio-kun crossover. Look at how clean that damn model is.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Just an FYI for any River City Girls fans, the game's free on the Xbox Game Pass.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
i'll support, River City Ransom rules. I've also played some of the Japan-only Kunio games, I particularly like the tag team wrestling one
Added, glad to see we're still getting supporters.
The tag team wrestling one honestly has to be my favorite out of all of the classic games. Like, sure it's a cakewalk until the Tiger Twins, but like most games of its time it's just got stuff no other game in the NES library could offer.
Really surprised they haven't remade it yet like how ArcSys likes to keep on remaking the triathlon sports games. I know there's fan games out there, but still.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I feel like River City Melee is just meant to replace the wrestling one.
Meant, yeah, but it can't in my heart ;_;
Like, I'd seriously argue the wrestling one (especially with the upgrades from the Retro Collection) is still a much more fun time overall. For some reason ArcSys has always been hellbelt on the remakes having a slower pace than their originals.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
According to you, is Knights of Justice decent? I've been considering that one.
A good question and I wished I could've answered this sooner.
It's what I'd like to call "decently bad."
Like, there's a novelty to getting to punch and kick the hell out of dragons and other monsters as Kunio and a rather expendable squad, and the game can get pretty tough if you don't know what you're doing (like with all games, but still)
But, it is a very short and very rushed game, like in the vein of all of the Kunio 3DS games excluding Rival Showdown. I still personally enjoyed it when I played it, I just really wished there was more to it.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Okay.

I had managed to acquire Super Dodgeball Brawlers on the DS, so how does it stack up to the original?
I'd say it's overall more flashy and complicated than the original, so if you like being able to factor in extra stuff (like extra moves, super meters and whatnot) then I'd say it's a perfectly fine game on its own. Whether or not it actually "beats" the original is up to you.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Some madman actually made Rival Showdown Kunio in MUGEN, like by the looks of it, it's a faithful recreation.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Top Bottom