• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Than River City Ransom / Super Dodge Ball: Kunio! (Kunio Three Kingdoms/RCG2 at TGS, Oct. 2/3)

Are you planning on getting the Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle?

• Without a doubt!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Leaning towards yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Leaning towards no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Wtf? I need to see gameplay.
here's your gameplay bro

No but seriously, the official Twitter says it'll reveal more info in the future. If they really just do a spin on the novel, then that's all fine and dandy 'cuz that hopefully means they can focus more on improving gameplay/graphics.
Otherwise, I'd love to see some Claw of Kowloon inspirations. Or maybe pull a SEGA and basically just throw modern-day Kunio into the novel like those Sonic Wii games.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So, who would be Lu Bu in this case, Goda?
do not pursue lu bu

A couple bits of small news:
The game sees familiar characters such as Guan Yu (Kunio), Liu Bei (Gouda), and Zhang Fei (Godai) run-amok in the world of Sangokushi (Romance of the Three Kingdoms).

Development is currently 65 percent complete.
Have you seen the special article of Weekly Famitsu's "Kunio-kun's Three Kingdoms, All-Member Assembly!" In addition to the introduction of military commanders, there are plenty of game screens! Please check it out on your way home from work or school!
Looks like the spriter for Rival Showdown's still on the team and even worked in brown hair, very nice.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So here's something for you v-tuber lovers.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And if you're not a fan, it still means two things:
Arcsys is actually advertising Kunio on their own now, and we'll get to see some actual gameplay!
I'm still just hoping that no matter what they do, they don't butcher the western release.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I mean hey, WayForward was never known for having very good storywriters (much less with a guy heading the project who just saw the girls in Shin Nekketsu and wanted to roll with it). I do look forward to seeing how they're gonna explain the jump from Shin Nekketsu to the wacky world of RCG. Part of me's hoping for Kunio crossing over with some WayForward IP in the future, and due to WayForward storytelling shenanigans, at some point they just [$%#@]ing cause a time paradox in Kunio's world that creates the RCG universe -- but that's a pipe dream. Would be both an ArcSys AND a WayForward move tho.

I am feelin' a bit bad for them right now on Twitter though, they showed off this game as just "River City Girls Zero" and failed to mention the potential for the "original translation" and the "RCG-prequel" translation and they're pretty much getting blasted on both sides lmao.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think they usually do a decent job when the plot isn't a minimal setup like "recapture/rescue the Hooligans!" or "kill the ancient mummy!", or is anything that doesn't involve Kickstarter funds (although it is funny how Double Dragon Neon somehow has a better plot than DDIV, even though it wasn't serious in the first place). But yeah, RCG1 felt like a bog-standard fanfic at times (especially "also, Sabu has a daughter that just wasn't mentioned before"). I can at least hope for RCG2 to have a Cycle of Revenge setup to mitigate it some more.

It's just that I expected the RCG0/Kunio-Tachi No Banka anime opening to be just a music video, not the equivalent of No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle's Side Job setups, even if Kunio is an universal adaptor setting.

(Although it's neat how it came about with some degree of involvement from best skeleton)

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The weird thing is the load the writers are taking on, because RCG, as a continuity, is trying to mash together the continuities of Renegade, River City Ransom(Japan), River City Random(NA), and a bit of Double Dragon. Which is kinda like 4 different things.

Although I guess Tokyo Rumble already tried to mash 3 of those together anyway, although their explanation for Double Dragon is "It's a kung fu movie in the RCR universe."

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
The weird thing is the load the writers are taking on, because RCG, as a continuity, is trying to mash together the continuities of Renegade, River City Ransom(Japan), River City Random(NA), and a bit of Double Dragon. Which is kinda like 4 different things.

Although I guess Tokyo Rumble already tried to mash 3 of those together anyway, although their explanation for Double Dragon is "It's a kung fu movie in the RCR universe."
In all fairness, trying to explain the Kunio canon post-Technos would very likely get you on some sort of secret underground hit list. Much like trying to explain the Zelda timeline. ArcSys has pretty much been doing very, very weird stuff with the continuity in Kunio themselves, like with what you said with Tokyo Rumble. In there, apparently it's just a movie (featuring real-life Green Abobo), but then in Rival Showdown, apparently they're such legends that even a strand of their DNA alone can create incredibly powerful fighters (like Randy and Andy's super moves in that game). Then there's the weird crap in Stay Cool Kobayashi-san where apparently directors thought that Kobayashi was "Kunio's biggest rival" or something.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, during the Technos era, even the Japanese games are split into two sorta timelines. The more serious games of the Renegade/River City Girls Zero branch, and the more lighthearted chibi NES games like River City Ransom/Crash & The Boys, etc.

You can basically tell which is which by the box art. If it's little chibi characters on the box, it's the latter, if it's the more realistic art style, it's the former.

And those were kinda separate for awhile(and is the origin of Kunio and Riki's two different sets of girlfriends in RCG), but then Tokyo Rumble mashes them together again. Because while it's very much one of the goofy chibi games, plotwise, it is a DIRECT sequel to the original Renegade.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Yeah, during the Technos era, even the Japanese games are split into two sorta timelines. The more serious games of the Renegade/River City Girls Zero branch, and the more lighthearted chibi NES games like River City Ransom/Crash & The Boys, etc.

You can basically tell which is which by the box art. If it's little chibi characters on the box, it's the latter, if it's the more realistic art style, it's the former.

And those were kinda separate for awhile(and is the origin of Kunio and Riki's two different sets of girlfriends in RCG), but then Tokyo Rumble mashes them together again. Because while it's very much one of the goofy chibi games, plotwise, it is a DIRECT sequel to the original Renegade.
It's times like those that I wish the other Kunio Japanese 3DS games got english releases (mainly Renegade SP and Riki Dennsetsu), because it actually does find a way to throw the "Nekketsu Kouha" (Renegade) timeline into the "Downtown Nekketsu" (RCR, etc.) timeline pretty well.
If I remember right, Renegade SP basically had Hiroshi being a big target for stuff like even the Yakuza because his father is a very important worker for... something or other. The government I think. And Riki Dennsetsu was basically a story of before Riki fighting Kunio for the first time -- he basically was at risk of getting expelled because he defended his school from Shinji's bikers (the guys you fight in Stage 2 of Renegade), and had to become involved in part of that Yakuza plot. Could be wrong though.

Of course, there's still the big plot hole of Mami (Cindy in RCR) and then Kyoko. Kyoko was just kinda "there" in Tokyo Rumble's New Game+ as a way to swap between characters, but otherwise I don't think either even got mentioned until Rival Showdown where Mami was hooked up with Riki at the time.
Either way, very weird and confusing stuff.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Someone uploaded the v-tubers playing River City Three Kingdoms. Bit of a volume warning.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So.
Kunio's 35th anniversary. New (higher quality mind you) River City game coming out in December.
Sakurai apparently saying something about it being "a character some of you might not know" (don't exactly know the specifics)
ArcSys practically showing a whole damn hour of Kunio at TGS, when Strive was in the same slot (paying respect to guilty gear fans btw, not meaning to start crap)
ArcSys practically ramping the Kunio advertising in Japan up to 100.

If tomorrow ain't prime time for Kunio, I dunno what is. Could be anyone, but I've got my hopes up.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Just a brief post before this sub-forum's apparently closing down:
Someone uploaded more River City: Three Kingdoms gameplay!

I'll also make sure to back up everything here just in case this thread doesn't end up moved to the "Next Smash" sub-forum or something, too. And I'll try to remember to make a new thread if so.

Top Bottom