• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Than River City Ransom / Super Dodge Ball: Kunio! (Kunio Three Kingdoms/RCG2 at TGS, Oct. 2/3)

Are you planning on getting the Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle?

• Without a doubt!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Leaning towards yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Leaning towards no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253

Teeb147

Smash Legend
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1075580/Queen_City_Chaos/
http://www.queencitychaos.com/
While we might not be getting any River City Girls news for a good while, it seems that someone's cashing in on the growing popularity. Might be worth keeping up on, might not.
There's also The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa going around, but I tried that and it's more or less a story disguised as a beat-em-up.
oo. I'll probably get it if isn't expensive. any idea on release date?

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
oo. I'll probably get it if isn't expensive. any idea on release date?
No clue, hell the only way I heard about this is someone on Twitter raising a ruckus about copyright.
It seems to be heavily under development though, I looked everywhere I could and there's no current release date -- fine by me though, I don't mind waiting a while if it means we get great quality.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Now that I got my Erdrick, I can refocus my attention on Kunio and Hayabusa.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Now that I got my Erdrick, I can refocus my attention on Kunio and Hayabusa.
I'm gonna try to keep an eye out on Treehouse's indie segment if I can remember to. It's a bit of a shame River City Girls didn't even get a single lick of an announcement on E3, since I was sorta hoping that'd spark more people into coming around here.
Ah well. Two slots, maybe more. Imagine.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
THIS IS NOT A DRILL
THIS IS NOT A ****ING DRILL
RIVER CITY GIRLS PROMO RELEASED! It honestly looks promising, feels Scott Pilgrim vs. The World-like.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Early September is much sooner than I would have anticipated, and playable at AX2019 to boot. Hoping they release an eShop demo down the line.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
THIS IS NOT A DRILL
RIVER CITY GIRLS PROMO RELEASED! It honestly looks promising, feels Scott Pilgrim vs. The World-like.
Looks like we’re not the only ones to be reminded of SPvtW. Regardless, Ireally love what I’m seeing!

Looks like we finally got a new art-style that isn’t the traditional blocky 8-bit Kunio style. Not that I ever complained about it, but this feels like an in-between Kunio and Double Dragon.

I want to get it. $30 is a bit over what I expected it to be for a beat em up (which are usually short) but if there’s a demo, I’ll let that be the decisive factor.

Glad this franchise is alive and well! (In the west).

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Looks like we’re not the only ones to be reminded of SPvtW. Regardless, Ireally love what I’m seeing!

Looks like we finally got a new art-style that isn’t the traditional blocky 8-bit Kunio style. Not that I ever complained about it, but this feels like an in-between Kunio and Double Dragon.

I want to get it. $30 is a bit over what I expected it to be for a beat em up (which are usually short) but if there’s a demo, I’ll let that be the decisive factor.

Glad this franchise is alive and well! (In the west).
We've been alive and well for years on end (despite all the journalists saying "WOW A SEQUEL TO RIVER CITY RANSOM WE HAVEN'T HAD ANYTHING IN YEARS, WHAT'S KUNIO-KUN?") but this is honestly looking to be one of the best.
I really, REALLY love how they're giving Shin Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-tachi No Banka some love too, since this entire game and artstyle seems to be based on, well, almost all of that game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
We've been alive and well for years on end (despite all the journalists saying "WOW A SEQUEL TO RIVER CITY RANSOM WE HAVEN'T HAD ANYTHING IN YEARS, WHAT'S KUNIO-KUN?") but this is honestly looking to be one of the best.
I really, REALLY love how they're giving Shin Nekketsu Kouha: Kunio-tachi No Banka some love too, since this entire game and artstyle seems to be based on, well, almost all of that game.
That's great to hear! I admit I might have missed everything in between RCR and the 3DS Kunio-kun game, so I'm not sure how many entries have come over here. Still, it's underrated as heck, so I'm glad this will be a big push in popularity.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
THIS IS NOT A DRILL
Pretty much my line of thinking! And it'll make up for the loss of that game.

But yeah, I knew we wouldn't need to worry about the same 8-bit sprites being used again. WayForward have pixel chops. While I wouldn't expect the game to be long, it should at least be a fun time.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I love that Kunio and(I assume that's Riki) are the ones that are kidnapped in this one. :p

Kyoko and Misako are some deep pulls too.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
It's got an interesting art style and looks fun. It's a bit of a shame that Kunio/Alex isn't in the spotlight, but it's not a deal breaker.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
It's got an interesting art style and looks fun. It's a bit of a shame that Kunio/Alex isn't in the spotlight, but it's not a deal breaker.
I honestly bet he'll be playable in some form, it wouldn't be much of a Kunio game without Kunio himself.
In other news...
The JP site is now up! And so is a video!
https://www.kuniokun.jp/rcg/

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Misuzu is slightly less of an ogre than she used to be.

Game's got a real Kill La Kill vibe going on.

Also, Kunio straight up looks like Kazuma Kiryu in this. :p

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Misuzu is slightly less of an ogre than she used to be.

Game's got a real Kill La Kill vibe going on.

Also, Kunio straight up looks like Kazuma Kiryu in this. :p
Indeed, Misako seems like an off-brand Ryuko here.

Also, it feels so good to see the words "Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun Gaiden River City Girls". WF has definitely made it big in a way that the Canadian devs of River City Underground could only dream of.

Edit: Oh, BigShad BigShad is gonna be happy about this.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm not sure a River City without pompadours is a River City I want to be in...

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Indeed, Misako seems like an off-brand Ryuko here.

Also, it feels so good to see the words "Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun Gaiden River City Girls". WF has definitely made it big in a way that the Canadian devs of River City Underground could only dream of.

Edit: Oh, BigShad BigShad is gonna be happy about this.

Nice, so the game isn't just "rescue the boy and it's over," there's a bit more meat in there that I wish the American trailer showed off.

I'm not sure a River City without pompadours is a River City I want to be in...
Me neither man. The biggest theory as to why everyone in this game is redesigned is to match modern delinquents and bancho media, but... c'mon, Riki's haircut? That's an accidental head shave by the Wal-Mart barber who accidentally slipped her razor.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I assume they were both in development at the same time. And ArcSys's Kunio team just seems to be in perpetual cranking out releases mode these days. You get, like, 1 or 2 a year.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
To bad it's Japan only.

Hmm, I thought that was Crash 'n' the Boys at first, but I guess that's actually an EARLIER Kunio sport challenge game.

Goddamn there were so many FamiCom Kunio games...****ing ELEVEN of them! Take that Mega Man!

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Kyoko trailer dropped!
I'll be honest, I'm not too sure about these voice actors. They feel like they're kind of afraid to really give an 'oomph' to their yelling or else they'll wake their neighbors up or something.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
With any luck, there will be language track selection for this. Did they run out of time and budget for proper English voice cast performers or something?
That's what I'm wondering, and by watching the Japanese trailers I've noticed the same English voices are in there too. I don't mind the fact that they're not big names (as far as I know, and really I appreciate them trying to be fresh) but they really don't seem confident on the mic just yet.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That's what I'm wondering, and by watching the Japanese trailers I've noticed the same English voices are in there too. I don't mind the fact that they're not big names (as far as I know, and really I appreciate them trying to be fresh) but they really don't seem confident on the mic just yet.
Well, I think it's safe to say that the people voicing these characters are not fresh if Kyoko's voice actor is to go by.
This is an amazing VA. And even before then, I didn't really find much wrong with the voice work.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The thing is, American VAs, depending on the role, have this perceived reputation of not being Nekketsu enough. I know this ain't Dragon Ball, but still.

I suppose we'll just wait a couple more weeks and reserve our final judgement until the game's arrived.

Edit: https://gonintendo.com/stories/3423...w-we-talk-to-wayforward-about-all-things-rive

This new interview confirms that Kunio and Riki's girlfriends from the "main" continuity will have a role in this game.

Edit 2: According to the comment chain here, the game will only have English voices, sorry lads. It really is like God Hand all over again.

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1163556492949127169

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't hear anything wrong with the voice acting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't hear anything wrong with the voice acting.
I agree. Maybe it's because I am not super familiar with this sort of thing, but the voices seem perfectly fine and are done by some pretty talented individuals.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, we simply haven't heard them in much of any fighting contexts yet, so we'll see what happens.

In the meantime, another alumni got revealed:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Here's a fun thought I had in mind, more likely than not there's gonna be people who're wanting Misako/Kyoko in Smash, if you see those kinds of people try to redirect them here! We could always use more supporters, and it'd give River City Girls fans a chance to learn even more about the Kunio-kun series.
In any case, prepare your wallets, because they'll never be the same again.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So the time has finally come! Sadly I ain't got the cash on hand to get the game, but hopefully it's as good as the reviews say 'n all that.

Top Bottom