• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Than River City Ransom / Super Dodge Ball: Kunio! (Kunio Three Kingdoms/RCG2 at TGS, Oct. 2/3)

Are you planning on getting the Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle?

• Without a doubt!

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Leaning towards yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Leaning towards no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not that I know of, but there's a download link somewhere in the comments. Not sure if I'm allowed to link it here or not.
Seeing as MUGEN isn't emulation, and you don't need to pay for anything, linking to MUGEN characters isn't against any rules.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They're not great though. If you know how to make a video, make one showing off his moveset. You'll get a like from me at least. :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So at the end of the day, was the Kunio + Double Dragon Retro pack on Switch worth it?

One of the reason I held back on it was that there's like 4 games on it that are free on the NES Online.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So at the end of the day, was the Kunio + Double Dragon Retro pack on Switch worth it?

One of the reason I held back on it was that there's like 4 games on it that are free on the NES Online.
In short: YES. There's plenty of games you wouldn't normally get otherwise, plus the original JP versions of ones like River City Ransom.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Nice to see them playable in a crossover fighter, but the eyes and bags around their eyes look weird to me.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
The general tone of Mighty Fight Federation looks... well, it's supposed to be gritty, so I guess they did their best at making Kunio and Riki fit in the best they could. I'm really hoping for an update on that, 'cuz as of right now their eyes look SUPER bugged out.

To add onto Kirby's comment -- yes, yes, definitely yes. There is so much in that pack you can't get anywhere else, like less lag, etc, and even better translations that you can't [legally buy a Famicom, a patcher add-on, the game, and apply an English patch for]. I'd 100% recommend it as the way to start out with Kunio-kun games, if only it was on PC.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
So some guy finally uploaded nearly everything there is to show in River City Rival Showdown, for those who wanna see.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
For anyone looking into Mighty Fight Federation, it's out, but Kunio and Riki will be DLC characters added in the future. Hopefully that gives them plenty of time to iron out the weirdness in their models.
Also,
DAMN.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I've got no words, I'll just let this tweet explain itself.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Fun news:
"Kunio-kun series" celebrated its 35th anniversary
In commemoration of this, the "Renegade Kunio-kun 35th Anniversary" project has started! In addition to the release of new games in the series, various projects such as related products and collaborations are underway. Please look forward to future updates.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Can't quite change the poll again, so, here's the River City Girls 2 announcement! What are your hopes?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Can't quite change the poll again, so, here's the River City Girls 2 announcement! What are your hopes?
Glad to see that Marian seems to be playable! (At least, I assume that's why she's shown off alongside the announcement. Not sure if the person on the right is new or not - I'm not super familiar with the series)

I'm hoping that Billy and Jimmy are unlockable, at the very least. (I realize that they've got plenty of games under their belts, but as far as I know, this is the only one where they're voiced by the Game Grumps, so they'll likely have entertaining lines)

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Glad to see that Marian seems to be playable! (At least, I assume that's why she's shown off alongside the announcement. Not sure if the person on the right is new or not - I'm not super familiar with the series)

I'm hoping that Billy and Jimmy are unlockable, at the very least. (I realize that they've got plenty of games under their belts, but as far as I know, this is the only one where they're voiced by the Game Grumps, so they'll likely have entertaining lines)
Considering RCG redesigns everyone in the Kunio series to hell and back, it could be anyone really. Billy and Jimmy would be nice to see, especially since they're trying to link Double Dragon and Kunio together in some aspects.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Calling Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka "River City Girls Zero" feels like some serious false advertising.

It's like calling FF7 "Cait Sith Origins".

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It figures that they'd announce a physical release for the brawler bundle shortly after I bought it on a discount.

Also, I was 100% sure we'd get a River City Girls sequel. Wayforward never does DLC for anything unless it's crowdfunded.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Calling Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka "River City Girls Zero" feels like some serious false advertising.

It's like calling FF7 "Cait Sith Origins".
I'm just hoping the new stuff they put in there isn't like, trying to transform an old game into their River City Girls "canon". 'Cuz that would be one hell of a thing to do, especially considering the events of Shin Nekketsu and how
Misako and Kyoko nearly freaking die and pretty much get booted out for the rest of the game lmao
I hope the guys behind the translations for the Kunio-kun bundle do it, though, it might've been simple text but they managed to not screw it up, which is pretty much all anyone can ask for these days.

It figures that they'd announce a physical release for the brawler bundle shortly after I bought it on a discount.

Also, I was 100% sure we'd get a River City Girls sequel. Wayforward never does DLC for anything unless it's crowdfunded.
I hope the physical collection comes with some stuff that was previously only Japan-exclusive. Like, these are just things I vaguely remember seeing a couple years back, but the Kunio collection on 3DS came with some exclusive artbooks.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Here's an interesting article on the production of RCG2 and River City Girls Zero. Key points are:
RCG2 takes place immediately after RCG1 and focuses on the "consequences" of it, ideally the world is supposed to be bigger and have more freedom too. Devs are still thinking about how to handle River City Girls Zero and properly translating Shin Nekketsu -- from just slightly River City Girls-flavored dialogue, to making two entirely different translations: one for Shin Nekketsu and the other for being more of a "RCG prequel".

Also, I'm a couple hours late to report on this, but figured it's still of interest for the future.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, the pre-orders for the Brawler Bundle's physical release are coming soon.

The special edition is pretty reasonable, as far as LRG stuff goes. Still cool though, I never thought we'd get a better deal than Japan's World Classics.

Here's an interesting article on the production of RCG2 and River City Girls Zero. Key points are:
RCG2 takes place immediately after RCG1 and focuses on the "consequences" of it, ideally the world is supposed to be bigger and have more freedom too. Devs are still thinking about how to handle River City Girls Zero and properly translating Shin Nekketsu -- from just slightly River City Girls-flavored dialogue, to making two entirely different translations: one for Shin Nekketsu and the other for being more of a "RCG prequel".

Also, I'm a couple hours late to report on this, but figured it's still of interest for the future.
Honestly, the two localizations approach seems like it would be the best course of action; we'd get our cake and eat it too.

On a related note, the physical pre-orders for RCG1 on PS5 are forthcoming.

Some merch...

...And pogs. For some reason.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Uh, wow. I'm late to the news this time but here's what we got:

More info up here.

Pretty cool that River City Ransom Underground's getting its own shoutout. But, what in the hell's up with Randy and Andy's new designs?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I was not expecting to see Provie again.

I guess Randy and Andy are supposed to look like...dragon, themed? Even though they look more like cats...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Uh, wow. I'm late to the news this time but here's what we got:

More info up here.
Freakin' sweet, now she can actually get to show off her martial art skills for the first time in 34 years! :banjohere:

(Well, aside from that one non-canonical Neo Geo game)

I was not expecting to see Provie again.

I guess Randy and Andy are supposed to look like...dragon, themed? Even though they look more like cats...
Well, it is the age of deep cuts showing up in games, after all. Good to see it being acknowledged nonetheless, since it seemed strictly in a different continuity.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now I want Paul back...

Yeah, it was expressly a sequel to the NA version of RCR.
With any luck, he might show up as a shopkeeper.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they'll bring in any more returning characters, especially since two shopkeepers were left on the cutting room floor.
Not to mention that Sabu is in all probability going to be pissed if he finds out that his daughter got her ass kicked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom