• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More echoes down the line?...

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
If we were being conservative and said echo fighters take twice the amount of effort as Mii costumes, then there'd be 18 of them to correspond with Smash 4's 36 costumes.

But yeah, echo fighters would probably be sold in bulk and at drastically reduced prices. However, again, it sounds like Echo fighters as paid dlc is off the table for Ultimate. Hopefully that means they have their sights set on other, more substantial forms of content or that nobody will ever have to worry about buying echo fighters when they're passed out for free. More skins for existing characters wouldn't go unappreciated either.
That sounds like a challenge!

1. Urban Champion (Little Mac echo)
2. Impa (Sheik echo)
3. Dr. Wily and/or Dr. Eggman (Bowser jr Echo)
4. almost any other Belmont character (Simon Belmont echo)
5. Amazon from pro Wrestling (Inceniroar Echo)
6. Shadow (Sonic echo)
7. Sami from the Wars series (Solid Snake eco) ... I would have picked Andy but I think Sami is closer to her body type
8. Captain N (Fox echo)
9. Justin Bailey (Samus echo. Either armored of Zero suit would work)
10. Dixie Kong (Diddy Echo)
11. Funky Kong (Donkey Kong echo)
12. Medusa (Palutena echo)
13. Hilda (Zelda echo)
14. Pious Agustus (Robin Echo)
15. Ms. Pac-Man (Bowser echo) just seeing if you're paying attention
16. Elite Beat Agent (Wii Fit trainer echo) I can see those stretches and exercises being passed off as cheers and dance moves
17. Original Style Jumpman (Mario and/or Luigi echo)
18. as for the 18, practically every fighting game has a Ryu character. Just pick one
You can't be serious, those I bolded don't make any sense...

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I can't?

Awww.... but I wanted to!
Well two of them I bolded have way too different body structures and to be honest it always somewhat disappoints me when someone list Dixie as an echo when she has never been that similar to Diddy and has a lot of potential of her own caliber with that giant ponytail of hers.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well two of them I bolded have way too different body structures and to be honest it always somewhat disappoints me when someone list Dixie as an echo when she has never been that similar to Diddy and has a lot of potential of her own caliber with that giant ponytail of hers.
I think Chrom having an entirely different recovery move from Roy is what made people a little more accepting of Dixie as an echo since she could then still have a different up special and carry animation and be an echo. A semi clone like Isabelle would still be far better of course but I can see why people may think an echo isn't that awful.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I think Chrom having an entirely different recovery move from Roy is what made people a little more accepting of Dixie as an echo since she could then still have a different up special and carry animation and be an echo. A semi clone like Isabelle would still be far better of course but I can see why people may think an echo isn't that awful.
It still wouldn't be enough for her, seeing her not using her ponytail and doing cartwheels would seem so out of character plus her ponytail is so huge it might not allow her to be an echo(the current Echoes have no extra body parts that stand out like Dixie's ponytail which would require more body frames and polygons) and her doing a variant of Dk's up b move would require unique animation since he does it with his arms.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This would be a smart business move but Nintendo is too stupid to do it. I am really jaded about this game based on the trainwreck that was the final direct and the rumored characters from Verge and Hitaki.

Nintendo and Sakurai could have easily stuck one more character that people wanted like Rayman, Isaac, or SkullKid into the game but instead we got Incineroar.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't see them adding echoes on the side. The developing team is probably exhausted after putting together Ultimate, so the 5 DLC character are the most they're willing to manage before wrapping up. I'd rather have them focus their creativity and energy on making 5 unique characters, nothing more.

Besides, the base roster + :ultpiranha: + 5 DLC brings the roster total to 80, which is a nice round number.
Yeah, I could see them take a long break after this and pull a Super Mario Galaxy 2 later in the Switch's life, in the event people have grievances over the final 5 additions, much like this game being a response to Smash 4 and the Wii U's failings.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we'll be seeing DLC echoes. I feel like after E3 everyone thought echoes were gonna be a HUGE deal and they were gonna fill out the roster with them, but I feel like we were mistaken. I mean how many more did we get after E3? Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Ken. Only four. So I don't think echoes were what we thought they were, as a way to fill out the roster, but rather Sakurai trying to get in a few more characters that were highly requested and made sense in Smash. To be honest I would rather see 1 unique character for DLC than 10 echoes. I'm not a huge fan of echoes because there's already so much overlap on the roster, with the three Links still being similar, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf essentially still sharing the same moves, Mario and Luigi still being far too similar... imo the last thing we need is more characters with the same moveset. I feel all the echoes that I was okay with are in the game, which was Richter, Chrom, and Ken as they do have a lot of similarities to the person their echoing.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I don't think we'll be seeing DLC echoes. I feel like after E3 everyone thought echoes were gonna be a HUGE deal and they were gonna fill out the roster with them, but I feel like we were mistaken. I mean how many more did we get after E3? Richter Belmont, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Ken. Only four. So I don't think echoes were what we thought they were, as a way to fill out the roster, but rather Sakurai trying to get in a few more characters that were highly requested and made sense in Smash. To be honest I would rather see 1 unique character for DLC than 10 echoes. I'm not a huge fan of echoes because there's already so much overlap on the roster, with the three Links still being similar, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf essentially still sharing the same moves, Mario and Luigi still being far too similar... imo the last thing we need is more characters with the same moveset. I feel all the echoes that I was okay with are in the game, which was Richter, Chrom, and Ken as they do have a lot of similarities to the person their echoing.
The echo thing seems like Sakurai's official term for a clone and semi-clone, but it was implemented weirdly. Technically, Dr Mario, Pichu and Young Link (etc) are echoes, but because Sakurai wanted the characters to be in 'order', they weren't given that status (even though he was happy to move Lucina and Dark Pit around.)

But the moment you give them a term like that and separate them from 'original' characters, you naturally expect that echoes are easier to develop and will be revealed in mass - which didn't quite happen as we thought it would.

I think Sakurai already said that the Fighter Pass characters wouldn't be echo fighters, but you could speculate that we might end up with free echo fighters being released in the period between releases, or at a cheaper price. I wouldn't be against that.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
The echo thing seems like Sakurai's official term for a clone and semi-clone, but it was implemented weirdly. Technically, Dr Mario, Pichu and Young Link (etc) are echoes, but because Sakurai wanted the characters to be in 'order', they weren't given that status (even though he was happy to move Lucina and Dark Pit around.)
Yeah echoes are just really confusing to me, and I feel like we never got a clear definition of what they were. Yes, Nintendo did define them, but there's still a lot of unanswered questions. I mean Ken and Dr. Mario both have unique moves yet Ken is an echo and Dr. Mario is not. Pikachu and Pichu are extremely similar but aren't echoes, while Samus and Dark Samus, who do have some differences, are. Chrom shares moves from two fighters, just adding to the confusion.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Yeah echoes are just really confusing to me, and I feel like we never got a clear definition of what they were. Yes, Nintendo did define them, but there's still a lot of unanswered questions. I mean Ken and Dr. Mario both have unique moves yet Ken is an echo and Dr. Mario is not. Pikachu and Pichu are extremely similar but aren't echoes, while Samus and Dark Samus, who do have some differences, are. Chrom shares moves from two fighters, just adding to the confusion.
I think it's purely a timing thing. Any clone/semi-clone after Brawl is an echo, any clone/semi-clone before Wii U is 'unique'. As for what fine details differentiate classing a new fighter as a unique or echo is beyond me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it's purely a timing thing. Any clone/semi-clone after Brawl is an echo, any clone/semi-clone before Wii U is 'unique'. As for what fine details differentiate classing a new fighter as a unique or echo is beyond me.
Proportions, according to Sakurai's statement on why Isabelle isn't considered Villager's echo.

Top Bottom