• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moonwalking Tech, You've been lied too

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
OK so I felt like this is worth its own thread. So I was hitting the lab when I discovered something with moonwalking.
Instead of your typical motion
Half circle:GCR::GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL: or Triangle:GCR::GCDL::GCL:
If you just go straight across :GCR::GCL: fast enough you still get the moonwalk. It has to be fast but its much easier.
So no more flubbed moonwalks.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
How do you do that without triggering the turnaround?
You have to imput your directions on back to back frames. Ive heard from others you have a 3 frame window at the beginning of your dash when you cant turn around and thus have a larger window for imput but I cant confirm this. In any case just flick your controll stick as fast as you can and you should get it. The timing is tight but it isnt too bad.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Hmm... I have a hard time believing this, but I guess I'll have to test it. Could make things easier.

In any case, I don't have a terribly hard time moonwalking in PM.

Melee, on the other hand...

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... I have a hard time believing this, but I guess I'll have to test it. Could make things easier.

In any case, I don't have a terribly hard time moonwalking in PM.

Melee, on the other hand...
I thought it was too good to be true at first but I was able to get it to work consistently both in and out of debug mode. I was unable to test it frame by frame in melee because I do not have acces to debug but It was working just fine for me in melee as well. Which is why this is a big deal.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
Regrettably, I don't have the capacity to make videos of any sort of quality at the moment. The mechanic really isn't hard to test in debug mode though.

Gnarkill Evan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Astros795
Correct me if I am misunderstanding but are you saying to just dash dance?

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
This input has always been known, and referred to as the perfect moonwalk. It's just not feasibly reliable, so the triangle method is the next best thing.

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
DD is triggered by the control stick passing through neutral for at least one frame, making you turn around. In theory, if you move your control stick fast enough, the time it is in the "neutral" position will happen between frames and the game won't make read the control stick as ever being in neutral and you will effectively have skipped over that input and gone straight to holding back, causing the backwards run.
The problem with this method (other than it being reeeallly fast) is it also depends on when you put the input. Even if you do the same input (with perfect speed) every time, starting it half a frame later will mess it up and cause you to just turnaround instead.

alex9918

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I am misunderstanding but are you saying to just dash dance?
No, Were taking the momentum of a dash and transferring it through a turnaround without triggering the turnaround animation. So it makes the character model see as if its sliding (moonwalking) across the stage.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
Again, it's not a "new moonwalk." As I explained, then Xtra_Crispy explained in greater detail, it's been known about since before brawl, in Melee. It's an old, well-known method of moonwalking. As we both explained, it's NOT FEASIBLE to consistently do in tourney. It's called a perfect moonwalk because it is literally the best way to moonwalk. All TASes use it in their videos, but the next best thing is semi-circle or triangle. There's no difference between those two besides preference.

Top Bottom