• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moonwalking Information

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen anybody else post much about this, so I will post what I know.

If you don't know what moonwalking is or how to do it, please watch this video first:

Moonwalking
Please note that I didn't make this video.

C Falcon is not the only character who can moonwalk. Here is a list of all the characters who can.

C Falcon
Link
Y Link

High
Mewtwo
Yoshi

Middle
Ganon
Peach
Zelda

Low
Samus
Bowser
Kirby

Bottom

Everybody else

Basically, top tier can moonwalk with a purpose. It is good enough to use for mindgames, edgehogging, and to get more distance out of a jump. High tier can use it for a surprise edgehog, maybe a mindgame or two. Middle tier can use it to edgehog, barely. Low tier can move backwards, but not enough to get off the edge, so I don't know how it would help them. Bottom tier can't do it at all. Italicized characters can moonwalk into a sliding up B edgehog.

Also, when a character is wearing a Bunny Hood, their ability to moonwalk is greatly increased. Every character gains at least the ability to moonwalk into an edgehog, and most can moonwalk a considerable distance. This list goes from longest to shortest moonwalk while wearing a Bunny Hood. If this is wrong, it is only by a pixel or two, it is very very close to correct.

Falcon
Mewtwo
Yoshi
Y Link
Link
Ganon
Sheik
Samus
Luigi
Bowser
Kirby
Falco
Fox
Peach
DK
Roy
Zelda
Jiggs
Marth
Pikachu
Pichu
IC
Doc
Mario
Ness
G & W

Common Questions
Application
This is the most common question about moonwalking. "Why do I need to do it? It seems so unimportant." Well, it isn't very important. If you are still working on learning advanced techniques, there are many that are more important and more helpful than moonwalking. However, there are still a few applications. The most important of which, edgehogging and getting more distance out of a jump, are shown in the video. Another important variation is the moonwalk to sliding up B edgehog.

Another technique with moonwalking is what I call a "crawl". A crawl is a dash that moves much slower than a normal dash. To do it, start a moonwalk and rotate the stick back towards the direction your character is facing as soon as the moonwalk starts. If you rotate correctly, your character will start a dash but will move very slowly and will take a while to speed up to full dash speed. This technique works with some characters that can't moonwalk, but is much more effective when started with a moonwalk. EDIT: this is actually called a "sticky walk", and is further explained in the picture further down the page.

Basically, moonwalking is very subtle and will probably never win you a match. It is just another way to move around the stage, and more options is always better.

Why does it work?
To my knowledge, nobody is sure why certain characters can moonwalk and which factors determine how well a character can moonwalk. If this information becomes known, I or somebody else will post about it.

Post any questions, comments, or other information about moonwalking in this topic. Hopefully I will be able to answer your questions.

And yes, I came up with the lists and statistics myself after doing the testing on my own. If you see a problem with them, let me know.

Here is a picture created by Red Shirt KRT that helps explain the controller movements for moonwalking and sticky walking.

Hosting problems, just look at page 5 for the picture. Sorry.

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
Hah, I already saw this on GameFAQs, wumpy.
Yeah, I didn't intend to post it here because I assumed that somebody else had already figured most of this out. Then I searched this forum and didn't see anything, so I put it here. Also, I am much more likely to get new information or other help here.

For Mewtwo, according to my arbitrary tier list, it can be used for some mindgames (work it into his dashdance game) and edgehogging. I don't think it can get any extra distance out of a jump, and it certainly doesn't go as far as his wavedash.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nice, masterwumpus. I've always wondered how useful the moonwalking of certain chars was. You've solved all my confuzzles about moonwalking. Good ****. :grin:

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
Nice nice! Sadly, i havn't learned how to moonwalk correctly yet even though iv'e played SSBM for over a year :cry: but good tips nonetheless, *runs upstairs to try to master moonwalking*
:grin:

I can show you a Fox moonwalk, LOL. (Inside Joke) I say that to ppl and then usmash them, LOL. It always works at least once on most ppl, lol. :D

Dalal

Smash Ace
Final Destination - I have been trying to master t
I tried this today with Falcon. I can't even get past the first moonwalking training in the video - the one where you roll to the edge, and then perform an edge hog. I got it in 1/4 speed, but even then I had to move the control stick extremely fast (for the half-circle). What am I doing wrong? Or am I just slow?

SporeFrog

Smash Cadet
When I tried learning the edgehog for falcon, I thought I must be doing something really wrong too. Most importantly, be sure to hold backwards after rotating the stick from forward to down to backwards. Other than that, it all seems to be speed. When I tried doing it faster and faster, it eventually worked.

Mr.C

Smash Master
try dash dancing then the half circle, during the animation hold down for a second then do the rest of the circle...=/

idk if that helps lol cause its kinda hard to explain.

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
A moonwalk is basically just a dashdance with a cirlce instead of flicking it back and forth. You have to go fast, and spend as little time in the down postition as possible, but still go there.

When you slow it down, it actually gets a little trickier because you can do it fast enough to not even have to push down at all. In 1/4 speed, you can do a maximum distance moonwalk, where you tap the stick in one direction and immediately back in the other without ever pushing down and still moonwalk.

For practicing purposes, I suggest doing it exactly like the video shows. That's the way I learned it. For the first 15 minutes, it feels completely impossible. Then, you start to see you character go backwards a little. Just keep practicing, it'll come. :)

Shiner

Smash Apprentice
moonwalking is officially the hardest f-ing thing i've ever atempted in my life... partly bcuz my controlers sticky... and partly because its imposible. lol

shiner said:
moonwalking is officially the hardest f-ing thing i've ever atempted in my life... partly bcuz my controlers sticky... and partly because its imposible. lol
you must no have attempted many things, and no controls tcik johns, lol.
LunInSpectra said:
Watch Isai/SilentSpectre moonwalk.
i dont think that will help, its what you do with your fingers that troubles ppl. watch their fingers, lol.:)

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
Good luck. :)

So is there anybody else who has information about moonwalking? Is there any information somebody wants me to try to figure out?

Alam

Smash Apprentice
i was at zhus house and i asked him to teach me but didnt really learn anything form him in person. thought it woulda helped... but i went home and watch his vid like 5 times and finally got it. Just PRACTICE ALOT!

Cort

Apple Head
Moonwalking just makes Falcon THAT much more sexier.

For some reason I can moonwalk right easily and get really impressive distance with it most of the time, but I have the hardest time going left. I guess I don't practice that way enough...

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
I've got some information. ^_^

Luigi can indeed moonwalk, his is just...special. In order to perform his magnificeint (sp?) moonwalk, you first have to do a fat WD backwards, then while still sliding, dash forward and apply moonwalk thing. Lol, probably even less useful than low tier chars moonwalks, but it exists!

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
Praise to masterwumpus, because he either has sweet videos or apparently points them out. This is something that I definately need to get into my game.

As for questions, is moonwalk jumping a faster mode of travel then dashing or wavedashing (in general or variable with different characters)?

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
Moonwalking is not the fastest way of moving around the stage. However, it is the fastest way to move backwards, which is why it is useful for getting more distance out of a backwards jump. A moonwalk to a jump gets much more distance than merely jumping and holding back.

Ka-master, that is interesting. It is a different type of moonwalking, since you are really just riding the momentum of the wavedash. Nana is another character who has a way to moonwalk that is fundamentally different but still looks like a moonwalk. Thanks for the info.

cyclone248i

Smash Journeyman
masterwumps I'm in need of your help
I'm a Link main and I noticed he's right after captain falcon in the moonwalk tier list.
I've been able to do it with Link since I found out but can he pull off that jump like C falcon? or anything special since he's so high up

masterwumpus

Smash Journeyman
cyclone, Link's moonwalk jump is virtually identical in length to his normal backwards jump, I think it's slightly longer. There are several reasons I placed Link as high as I did on my "tier list." His moonwalk is very long, and also the easiest to pull off consistently IMO. He can use it for mindgames and work it into his dashdance game. It is easy to edgehog with it, and it isn't too tough to moonwalk to a sliding up B edgehog. Also, like I said, it doesn't hurt his backwards jump, and adds a bit of a mindgame to it.

Is moonwalking essential for a Link player? Probably not. Is it fun and flashy? :grin:

Top Bottom