• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MookieRah's Road To Glory (Video Dump Thread)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm certainly no Zoma but due to the incredible lack of Mewtwo vids and the ease of recording I have with my current setup I might as well share some of the better videos of my play for critique as well as just to expand the amount of M2 goodness on youtube. I also plan to sort of share my thoughts on training and developing my M2 here, if anyone is interested.

Some vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kflz0jPixXM: Me versus a sick Ganon
I actually know this guy, so I'll get to play him more in the future. Sadly I couldn't play many matches with him, and he is rarely on netplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M87xiHXkKI : Me versus a Silver III ranked Fox/Falco.
I'm kicking myself because the first and last matches I had with this guy were not recorded or something failed. In these matches I was playing on point and did much better than the rest of the video shows. I even three stocked his Fox the last match, and did lots of really nifty/flashy ****. Anyways, still good vids. I make a lot of technical flubs, but overall my execution and punishes are improving.

------------------------

Current Training Goals:
Combos/Punishes: My combo game is crap compared to Zoma and probably lots of other Mewtwo players. I think half the reason I do as well as I do is because my grab game is pretty solid, but if I had Zoma level combo tech I could dish out way more pain. To me, in the long run it's best to focus on this, because if this isn't up to snuff it doesn't matter if I can EC Teleport on command where I want to be because I wouldn't be able to follow up on it.

Edgeguarding: I've always kinda sucked at it, and I honestly feel like M2's offstage edgeguarding game is unparalleled and all of us (Zoma included) aren't doing it right. So many times I will have guaranteed kills if I just did a better job of observing my opponent, or simply taking the ledge.

SUNC & Ledge Teleports: This is still scary for me to do and I often fail when I try. I often feel pressure to succeed, which leads me not to attempt this despite the fact that I should be half decent at it by now.

Good Teleport Decisions: This kinda blends in with the above, but it goes for other things too. I am fairly predictable with teleports at times. I'm aware of it, but I haven't really changed it up much. It's slowly getting better, but it's holding me back.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Current Training Goals:
Combos/Punishes: My combo game is crap compared to Zoma and probably lots of other Mewtwo players. I think half the reason I do as well as I do is because my grab game is pretty solid, but if I had Zoma level combo tech I could dish out way more pain. To me, in the long run it's best to focus on this, because if this isn't up to snuff it doesn't matter if I can EC Teleport on command where I want to be because I wouldn't be able to follow up on it.

Edgeguarding: I've always kinda sucked at it, and I honestly feel like M2's offstage edgeguarding game is unparalleled and all of us (Zoma included) aren't doing it right. So many times I will have guaranteed kills if I just did a better job of observing my opponent, or simply taking the ledge.

SUNC & Ledge Teleports: This is still scary for me to do and I often fail when I try. I often feel pressure to succeed, which leads me not to attempt this despite the fact that I should be half decent at it by now.

Good Teleport Decisions: This kinda blends in with the above, but it goes for other things too. I am fairly predictable with teleports at times. I'm aware of it, but I haven't really changed it up much. It's slowly getting better, but it's holding me back.
I feel you man, except for the SUNC and ledgeports; I always try em and sometimes kill my self.

Something I noticed you werent doing in neutral is CC dtilt below 25% against fox's strong hit nairs. If you crouch with the control stick diagonally forward you can land cancel hitstun and still ASDI in to get closer. At like 25% - 30%(probably a bit more) you can still land dtilt but it'll only be the tip. Havent really done any testing against the weak hit but I just use these %'s because it's guaranteed that way.
I also like pivot DJC bair in neutral when theyre at high %s.

As for followups, it seemed like you knew what to do but your execution was just a bit off like in that match vs falco on FD. The only advice I can offer is that when you get someone on a platform you should waveland on instead of sharking when theyre at high %s.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I feel you man, except for the SUNC and ledgeports; I always try em and sometimes kill my self.
I forced myself to try them in other matches and I died a lot xD. That's fine though, I was playing with a very cool dude that I have played a lot now on netplay. I gotta work more on those, so many missed edgehogs and attempts to get on the stage due to me not putting in the work.

Something I noticed you werent doing in neutral is CC dtilt below 25% against fox's strong hit nairs. If you crouch with the control stick diagonally forward you can land cancel hitstun and still ASDI in to get closer. At like 25% - 30%(probably a bit more) you can still land dtilt but it'll only be the tip. Havent really done any testing against the weak hit but I just use these %'s because it's guaranteed that way.
You mentioned this before, but I forgot about it. There are a lot of little things like this that I need to start keeping tabs of. I would gladly take a nair to the face if it meant I got off a solid dtilt > fair string.

I also like pivot DJC bair in neutral when theyre at high %s.
I should try this as well.

As for followups, it seemed like you knew what to do but your execution was just a bit off like in that match vs falco on FD. The only advice I can offer is that when you get someone on a platform you should waveland on instead of sharking when theyre at high %s.
It's partly execution, but it's also not being able to react fast enough to things. I have come a long way with that since I began my new Mewtwo journey, as I'm now able to see and exploit openings I couldn't only a couple of weeks ago, but the road to Zoma's level is long and winding. I think the only thing I can really do is to keep pushing myself with my observation and reaction, and keep putting in the 20XX time with DJC aerials and combos. It's exciting though, being able to see a fair and it coming out in the nick of time that I could never do before.

Regarding wavelanding on platforms, yeah, it's another thing I want to incorporate but I actually keep forgetting it. That and simply planting a fair where I think they will tech (something Zoma does all the time). These aren't really hard to do or spot, I just have to get into the habit.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
I write these things down on a memo on my phone and leave it open during sets to read in between games. Sometimes just seeing the phone in the corner of my eye between stocks reminds me.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
hey, can i dump my vids here too?
I have 20 minutes of footage of me getting bopped tonight.

overall, i think every aspect of my game is weak, but ive just been spending a lot of time on fox and marth lately.
i dont know how valuable this is, theres tons of footage like this ive had before that I just didnt share because i'm p trash
i make a lot of decisions that hinge on me doing things i'm not comfortable doing, and a lot of weird things are me trying something new.

just tell me what you think, or if I should post any more
https://www.twitch.tv/supershus/v/54352666

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Go ahead and post stuff. I don't mind looking over and giving critiques and suggestions towards what you could work on :-).

Regarding these matches, right out the gate I think your main problem is that you just aren't confident with Mewtwo. You hesitate so much, especially with grabs. When you go for grabs a lot you have to go all in or just don't go at all. There is such a small window you have to hit in order to get them, and you can't second guess yourself or you will whiff practically every time. Also, if you fail your grab and aren't punished, don't grab again, dash around, make yourself unpredictable. Another facet of your grab game is that you need to have a better sense of when you can and can't get a shield grab. You eat a lot of shines because it seems that you are stuck on auto shield grab mode.

The first step towards not making this mistake is to simply label whether or not a player is one that you can shield grab often. Some are so sloppy you can just phone it in, others not so much. When dealing with solid opponents your default should be escaping pressure, not shield grabbing. From there you just have to learn the visual and spacing clues that inform when you can and can't shield grab. Another thing is actively messing up your opponents aerials so that you can almost guarantee a shield grab. If you watch my vids you can clearly see me do stuff like dash towards my opponent at the last minute into shield. This is great because it sets me facing them, I shield DI towards them, and lastly that tiny, tiny difference in spacing from that last second sprint towards them can and will make all the difference towards landing a shield grab.

Which leads me to your general movement. You only seemed to have solid movement in the pokemon stadium match, so I know you can do some really good stuff, it's just that you are under pressure, unconfident, or what have you. I'm very much aware as to how much Falco stifles movement, but you seemed even more rooted in place than you should have been. I'm pretty sure you have read Umbreon's several posts about Marth, movement, and the new Marth philosophy, but it'd be a good idea to go and read that if you haven't or refresh yourself on it. I think a lot of why my Mewtwo is where it is now is because of the fact that I focused primarily on that philosophy with Marth and there is so much carry over with Mewtwo. Obviously Mewtwo is different, especially in the tools he has to exploit things, but the movement aspect is incredibly similar.

Also, tech skill. Lots of stuff you need to work on, but I think you are aware of that.

The last thing is this, if you want to do well with Mewtwo and really push yourself and Mewtwo to his limits, you really have to believe that Mewtwo is a capable, viable character (even if it turns out in the future he isn't). If you cloud your mind with all the little annoying things that only happen because X character can exploit Mewtwo's Y characteristic, you won't be able to progress. It's fine being realistic, as I point out how much I find the Falco matchup to be rough, but I fully believe that Mewtwo has the tools to make it work as well.

If you want me to, I can give you some training tips tailored towards what I think you should work on. In general I feel you just gotta play more Mewtwo and get more comfortable with him, but there are a lot of other things regarding tech and training specific responses that can boost your confidence and awareness.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Here is a vid of me against a pretty solid Falco player last night. The first half is of me losing, but having close matches. Around midway through though, my game gets on point and I start to bring in things that I've been working in training mode.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
you mentioned not knowing samus matchup

some guidlines for you in my experience, living with a samus main

dtilt feels really unsafe all the time, you have to be able to consistently powershield missiles (which isn't that bad) or you will be in sheild. an alternative is trying to nair the missles which is actually really hard to do, or fair them which is also really hard. you can wd ftilt them if they are rarely using missiles but not if theyre missile cancelling and just filling the screen with missiles.

because she's heavy, uthrow and fair aren't that bad of kill options, and edge guarding her isnt too bad off of bthrow but it's worse than youd think because mewtwo is kind of slow and samus has a lot of options

wd around while in shield is pretty good to some extent because of the bad grab she has, but if you try to really abuse it youre going to run out of shield pretty quickly.

to be honest i think it's actually a pretty rough matchup but it isn't unwinnable by any means. it's not really unfair it's jut kind of unfair
SuperShus SuperShus

Oh god, I don't bother going for dtilts against grounded Samus because they CC everything all the time and follow-up with down smash. I personally don't have any glaring problems with the matchup other than just a general lack of experience dealing with some of her moveset and how it affects my play. I will accidentally over-extend comboes or go for things out of ignorance towards what is and isn't safe, for example. I personally don't struggle much with missiles and projectiles, and I don't powershield them. If I'm grounded ftilt seems to deal with them well, but otherwise I try to simply avoid them without putting myself in a worse position.

SBC is amazing against Samus, but at the same time it's hard to land it safely. Her projectile game presents a barrier that makes it hard to be in a good position to think about doing it often, and then her moveset is quite good at keeping you at at distance.

To me, the thing that makes the matchup tough to me is that due to Samus's weight and floatyness, you can't really combo her, nor put a lot of pressure on her. On top of that, she will more than likely survive to higher percents than you, so you are forced to really make the most out of your exchanges, and getting behind is really bad because it's hard to make up the deficit.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
i think where mewtwo really makes up the matchup is edgegaurding. (that's true for many mus i believe)
bthrow, fj off the level with your front to the stage, save the dj and try to hit the bombs if shes bomb jumping, if not just hit her with bair
if she tries to go over you choose between bair and uair obviously
i dont really like going for dair in the mu unless she has no grapple even on reads
so thats my edgegaurding thoughts

sbc is ok, i also like to just grab and ftilt in neutral
sbc is prolly better on low % combos, useful to convert into grabs
i mix up double djc uair and djc uair utilt to wall out coming samus coming down(similarly to how mewtwoking uses it on marth)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
some-call-me-ken some-call-me-ken
I'll just try to focus on more major stuff and not nitpick on this as it would take a lot of time to do a full-eval, plus I think you are aware of a lot of minor stuff.

Early on in your first match with Mewtwo (on BF) you went off-stage and then double jumped up towards the ledge, for seemingly no reason. You then get shined and die at very low percent. Later on in that match you go this route again, get shined, and lose another stock. You try this several more times coming up with nair which results in you getting hit. Your opponent is watching for this, and good opponents will also take note of it and punish you harshly for this as well.

The thing is that it's never a safe option to come up that way in any situation, and trying to go on offense there is a gamble in which you have much, much more to lose than your opponent. In general, Mewtwo has so many options from off-stage that it's hard for me to think of a situation in which coming up in that manner is the best possible choice. In this particular match it costed you two stocks, and it's clearly habitual as you kept doing it.
-----
SBC virtually never works against firefox or illusion. They have to come in at the perfect angle/height to hit the SBC hitbox and not you. It's always better to go for some other edgeguarding option, such as taking the ledge or going off stage.
-----
You need to work on your off-stage edgeguarding quite a bit. It seems like you are hesitant to get out there, yet that is where Mewtwo shines the most. If you hesitate, you will rarely get much out of it, you just have to make the decision to go out there or not. The beauty of it is, if you determine that it's a bad idea to go out there, you can always teleport to ledgehog, which might KO them, and if not it usually puts you in position to punish them on the stage after they land.
-----
You roll too much. Your opponent didn't take advantage of it but better players could. You should be wavedashing, but I don't think you've mastered it yet.
-----
Your second to last match on FD, I'm not sure what happened there. Your everything sorta broke down, and you kept getting grabbed over and over again. I think your opponent simply caught on to your pattern and you just didn't adapt quick enough to not fall for it. You finally manage to get back to neutral, but it's clear that you were sorta busted up mentally.
-----

Summation:

I think that you are pure offense with virtually no defense. You are good when you are in control of the match, but once they have momentum against you, you struggle to get out of it. You need to learn how to use Mewtwo's shield, when to go on the offense from a defensive position and when to try to flee, and you need to work on your movement. Mewtwo cannot safely go full on offense against other characters because his tool-kit loses to moves with high priority (like Fox nair). You have to box them into a corner first, and put them in a position in which they are constantly threatened by Mewtwo's options (like fair, uair, dtilt, SBC, etc), and then it's a game of cat and mouse in which you need to learn not to overextend lest you give them the opportunity to turn that right around on you.

Your last match shows what happens when your game comes together, but to me it seems like that is more of a fluke than it is the norm. Really, that guy has no business taking matches from you or even coming close to winning. A lot of this comes down to a handful of bad decisions that really costed you.

Tech to work on:
Jump canceled grabs
Wavedashing, Wavelanding
OoS options (particularly wavedash out of shield)

Last edited:

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
a small detail that's easy to fix is I saw you dashing away instead of wd back and you kept getting your tail hit

also i saw an opportunity to shoot your charged b during a tech chase to cover everything since you were also standing in the spot where if he rolled in you could grab, but instead you ran up and did a fair on a bad read and got shined which was pretty cringe

some-call-me-ken

Smash Rookie
I'll just try to focus on more major stuff and not nitpick on this as it would take a lot of time to do a full-eval, plus I think you are aware of a lot of minor stuff.

Early on in your first match with Mewtwo (on BF) you went off-stage and then double jumped up towards the ledge, for seemingly no reason. You then get shined and die at very low percent. Later on in that match you go this route again, get shined, and lose another stock. You try this several more times coming up with nair which results in you getting hit. Your opponent is watching for this, and good opponents will also take note of it and punish you harshly for this as well.

The thing is that it's never a safe option to come up that way in any situation, and trying to go on offense there is a gamble in which you have much, much more to lose than your opponent. In general, Mewtwo has so many options from off-stage that it's hard for me to think of a situation in which coming up in that manner is the best possible choice. In this particular match it costed you two stocks, and it's clearly habitual as you kept doing it.
-----
SBC virtually never works against firefox or illusion. They have to come in at the perfect angle/height to hit the SBC hitbox and not you. It's always better to go for some other edgeguarding option, such as taking the ledge or going off stage.
-----
You need to work on your off-stage edgeguarding quite a bit. It seems like you are hesitant to get out there, yet that is where Mewtwo shines the most. If you hesitate, you will rarely get much out of it, you just have to make the decision to go out there or not. The beauty of it is, if you determine that it's a bad idea to go out there, you can always teleport to ledgehog, which might KO them, and if not it usually puts you in position to punish them on the stage after they land.
-----
You roll too much. Your opponent didn't take advantage of it but better players could. You should be wavedashing, but I don't think you've mastered it yet.
-----
Your second to last match on FD, I'm not sure what happened there. Your everything sorta broke down, and you kept getting grabbed over and over again. I think your opponent simply caught on to your pattern and you just didn't adapt quick enough to not fall for it. You finally manage to get back to neutral, but it's clear that you were sorta busted up mentally.
-----

Summation:

I think that you are pure offense with virtually no defense. You are good when you are in control of the match, but once they have momentum against you, you struggle to get out of it. You need to learn how to use Mewtwo's shield, when to go on the offense from a defensive position and when to try to flee, and you need to work on your movement. Mewtwo cannot safely go full on offense against other characters because his tool-kit loses to moves with high priority (like Fox nair). You have to box them into a corner first, and put them in a position in which they are constantly threatened by Mewtwo's options (like fair, uair, dtilt, SBC, etc), and then it's a game of cat and mouse in which you need to learn not to overextend lest you give them the opportunity to turn that right around on you.

Your last match shows what happens when your game comes together, but to me it seems like that is more of a fluke than it is the norm. Really, that guy has no business taking matches from you or even coming close to winning. A lot of this comes down to a handful of bad decisions that really costed you.

Tech to work on:
Jump canceled grabs
Wavedashing, Wavelanding
OoS options (particularly wavedash out of shield)
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I've come a long way since this video was taken but I'm ready to keep pursuing Mewtwo. For some context I was super on tilt for the first 5 games (first set) and realized after this that I was not playing with rumble (which I feel helps me significantly). After that set I collected myself and put on rumble and you'll see a noticeable improvement in my play, for one i could WD properly. Not johning for my ****ty play I'm just saying . . . I'll look to get some more contemporary mewtwo footage for you to look at if you'd be cool with that.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I may have to take back my words about M2 not being able to go on the offense. I was forced to play aggressive against a Pika player, Viktoralsos, whom I play somewhat regularly, as he basically figured out how to camp me to the point I couldn't deal with him at all any other way. So I just went ape**** insane on the offense. I told myself that I will keep him in melee distance for as much of the game as I could, and it worked out. I gotta point out that my offensive game is a bit sloppy, cause it's not my usual gig, but DJC fair is kinda ridiculous. So I went from losing consistently to winning consistently.

After that match I kept that philosophy of crazy insane offense, and it's working out quite well. Played some foxes and a Shiek and the change was quite noticeable. I'll get some videos of me playing this way in a few days, as I want to get more comfortable with playing like this before I post a vid for you guys.

some-call-me-ken

Smash Rookie
Thats cool that you should point that out, because my philosophy is that mewtwo is at his best when the opponent is forced to shield and although his shield pressure isnt the best a mix of spaced djc fairs and IASA dtilts really makes the opponent scared. And then of course come the oh so precious grabs. Ive also got a lot of mileage working with the auto cancel nair timings, mixing up fastfalls, nair -> fair, and nair dj nair, among other things.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
SuperShus SuperShus

Oh god, I don't bother going for dtilts against grounded Samus because they CC everything all the time and follow-up with down smash. I personally don't have any glaring problems with the matchup other than just a general lack of experience dealing with some of her moveset and how it affects my play. I will accidentally over-extend comboes or go for things out of ignorance towards what is and isn't safe, for example. I personally don't struggle much with missiles and projectiles, and I don't powershield them. If I'm grounded ftilt seems to deal with them well, but otherwise I try to simply avoid them without putting myself in a worse position.

SBC is amazing against Samus, but at the same time it's hard to land it safely. Her projectile game presents a barrier that makes it hard to be in a good position to think about doing it often, and then her moveset is quite good at keeping you at at distance.

To me, the thing that makes the matchup tough to me is that due to Samus's weight and floatyness, you can't really combo her, nor put a lot of pressure on her. On top of that, she will more than likely survive to higher percents than you, so you are forced to really make the most out of your exchanges, and getting behind is really bad because it's hard to make up the deficit.
I think youre better off charging SB completely and using nair to beat ASDI(breaks ASDI at 23%). This way you have an option to threaten samus from a distance. You can just clang with missiles using dash attack or ftilt(as mookie mentioned) to stop missiles with minimum endlag. Alternatively, you can NILT past them to close distance.
I dont really know if samus should be living significantly longer than mewtwo; Samus doesnt really have a kill move or easy kill setup on floaties like mewtwo does. Of course samus is much heavier but I think both characters take a while to kill eachother off the blastzones and it really comes down to edgeguarding.

I may have to take back my words about M2 not being able to go on the offense. I was forced to play aggressive against a Pika player, Viktoralsos, whom I play somewhat regularly, as he basically figured out how to camp me to the point I couldn't deal with him at all any other way. So I just went ape**** insane on the offense. I told myself that I will keep him in melee distance for as much of the game as I could, and it worked out. I gotta point out that my offensive game is a bit sloppy, cause it's not my usual gig, but DJC fair is kinda ridiculous. So I went from losing consistently to winning consistently.

After that match I kept that philosophy of crazy insane offense, and it's working out quite well. Played some foxes and a Shiek and the change was quite noticeable. I'll get some videos of me playing this way in a few days, as I want to get more comfortable with playing like this before I post a vid for you guys.
Can you explain what you did exactly? Did you space DJC fairs or something?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I ihasabuket
It's hard to explain exactly what I did because I'm not used to playing in this manner, but the best I can do to sum up my strategy is this:

I threw caution to the wind. Against the Pika it was not an option to hang back and play in my usual defensive way. I had to keep the match in his face to prevent him from getting his thunder-jolt game on. That's how it started anyways, but from there I kept the strategy against other players/characters.

I played faster and looser. I focused less on reacting and more on controlling my opponent. I wanted them to have to run from me, not the other way around. I did this by spamming DJC fairs, but in a smart way. Like, if I down threw and they DI'd away, I would just jump forward DJC fair where they would be if they teched or didn't tech (with the right timing you can cover both) and if they rolled away I would just land and dash forward to dtilt or something else to keep the pressure up. If they rolled through me I made a mental note, and I would cover that option the next time.

I was somewhat unhinged and not as calculating, but I found myself swapping in and out of my hyper-aggression and old style depending on how my opponent was reacting. Whenever they would try to mount their own defense, I slipped into my old way of doing things, which is very punish heavy, but once I gained any momentum it was back to rush-down.

I tried to combo like my life depended on it. This didn't mean I didn't think about my actions, as I didn't want to overextend, but I simply inputted DJC's without trying to confirm things on reaction. It meant that sometimes I dropped things, but more often it meant that my combos were more damaging and intimidating.

I scrapped a lot of habits in which I didn't realize that I had. How I would retreat a lot at the last minute, I think I did that as a bait, except it stops working after a while. I found new openings that I didn't before, and in general I grabbed a lot less and used fair more. I also went for nairs instead of grabs because a lot of the players I faced kept spot-dodging out of techs and that covered them as well as kept up pressure.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't think I ever posted about my goal here, and it's kinda important. My goal is to be the best Mewtwo player I can be, and to prove that he is viable through netplay.

I'm doing it through netplay because I am not able to attend tournaments due to having a family with 3 kids. Tournaments aren't an option. Even if I was the hero Mewtwo that we all need, I will never have a presence at tournaments, but I can change public opinion.

That said, I have built myself somewhat of a reputation through my netplay gaming already. I was sought out by a player the other day, a known Swedish player that went by Eekim on the smashladder. He had both the best Link and Samus I ever played against. I managed to beat his Link and CF, but against his Samus he slaughtered me. Sadly I only had time for one game against his Samus. As a frame of reference, he's considered to by many to be the second best Samus in Scandinavia, and Samus isn't even the guy's real main (it's Marth and Fox).

Still, despite losing to his Samus, I still had a good showing against the guy. I'm constantly improving, progressing, and innovating with Mewtwo, and it's good that I'm making waves this early.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
It's cool to see someone like Mewtwo. Sadly using a character considered low tier gets people flack for some reason. I main Roy now, because I had decided I wanted to see what I could do with him, and half the time I get "gg, but you shouldn't try to get good with Roy." when I use him on Netplay.

For what it's worth stick with what you love, and you'll make something out of Mewtwo. I suppose it's human nature to take even something like this video game and create an environment where there's stigmatism regarding your character preference and you get everyone else's bias imposed on you. I guess people like to think they have it all figured out so they can be so stoic and content in their knowledge being unquestionable. Like you said earlier, people think counter picking Marth is auto win because even with lack of experience against good Mewtwo's, their mind's set that it's that simple and that's how it is. Really the issue imo is that some people have big ego's and have decided in their mind that Mewtwo has too many bad qualities to be effective. To them losing to Mewtwo should not happen and if it does, then it was just luck, instead of acknowledging that maybe there is more to be learned and that there are more possibilities. But to be fair, im sure not everyone is evil hearted. Some players come along and get all this knowledge thrown at them, and they trust it. Like that Marth you played admitted to you that he didn't think Mewtwo could be that good against Marth.

A wise man once told me it's better to be a has-been than a never was. Mewtwo is a fun character from the little I've used him online. Sadly it's not great but it's funny how salty Falco's got when I would teleport around and get early kills with bthrow. I can see why you like Mewtwo. He is good at a lot of things and has useful tools. Maybe if I get tired of Roy i'll try him.

Edit: wow I just watched you against the Netplay Marth. I can see how much hard work you put in I think. You're good at knowing what move works to get around what he's doing, like when he tried what he thought was a safe aerial against you being airborne, you threw him off with the delay that nair has. Mewtwo looks so fun.

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
It's most definitely doable through netplay imo, but that's because most players on netplay aren't exactly notable barring a few. Idk if you remember me (I'm Team Plasma N), but it'd be sweet to play you sometime (though lag so...). Anyways, iirc cassiusgentle and FlyssWhizzle supposedly have good Mewtwos. There's apparently someone in my region called Rimi, I've never seen him play but he apparently got a pretty high rank with Mewtwo.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I got some hot new matches of me versus a Fox player of even skill. Note: It drew audio from my headphones and not just from the dolphin, so I apologize for the fact that you will have to listen to some random iTunes study playlist I had on while studying prior to playing.

Highlights:
https://gfycat.com/DefenselessAssuredApe
https://gfycat.com/BothSardonicChihuahua
https://gfycat.com/ReflectingPointedHartebeest

EDIT: What luck, played another amazing player. I didn't ask his permission to upload so for now he will remain anonymous. His combos are damned amazing.

Last edited:

some-call-me-ken

Smash Rookie
after watching the first vid . . .
What i liked:
  • edgegaurds with last hit nair were crisp
  • you use mewtwo's airdodge to great effect when recovering from high, juking your opponent basically every time
  • that fd game in general, damn
  • calling out doublejumps with nair
  • also you are just super clutch in general
What to work on:
  • stop using charged shadowball in neutral, its such a valuable ko tool at the end of a combo or tech chase . . . 13:39 :(
  • you get called out double jumping to ledge a few times, just jump backwards and do a double jump extension bair (kinda like a shine stall) and it opens up lots of recovery options
  • is there a reason you dash grab a bunch?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I meant to post this shortly after you replied, but I've been so swamped with my summer courses that I haven't had a chance to play or post here.

You are so right about the charged shadowball. I almost always forget about using it as a tech chase tool. I get so many charged shadow balls too, and those could have been devastating to use after a down throw.

I'm not sure what you mean in regards to the double jump to ledge exactly, but my guess is that I just wasn't mixing things up well enough or going for something risky that I had no business going for :-P. It's definitely something for me to work on.

Also, if I dash grab it's simply an input error. I need to do proper tech warm-ups before I play online. That should increase my consistency.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Am I the only one that feels that I improve a lot by simply not playing? I say this cause I've been (and still am) swamped with summer courses and haven't been able to play for two weeks. I hop on yesterday and I just ripped some people apart. They weren't even bad players or anything, I was just on point with everything. I really wish I was recording.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
^ Yeah I know what you mean. It's not really "not playing" that causes improvement. Watching top players on streams and on youtube helps with learning new ideas by osmosis and the next time you play you start to use these ideas as though they were your own.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Except I haven't watched anything smash related in the past two weeks either. I literally just hopped on netplay after a 5 minute warm up and crushed it.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Having some cooldown is good too because it lets your mentality refresh. Then the next time you play, you have a "pure heart", so you are able to be more objective when you make decisions.

some-call-me-ken

Smash Rookie

I'm not sure what you mean in regards to the double jump to ledge exactly, but my guess is that I just wasn't mixing things up well enough or going for something risky that I had no business going for :-P. It's definitely something for me to work on.
Yeah, you started getting called out and shine spiked, being complacent and double jumping to ledge. Mewtwo has a boatload of mixups so as long as you don't auto pilot this can almost always be avoided

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Am I the only one that feels that I improve a lot by simply not playing? I say this cause I've been (and still am) swamped with summer courses and haven't been able to play for two weeks. I hop on yesterday and I just ripped some people apart. They weren't even bad players or anything, I was just on point with everything. I really wish I was recording.
Sometimes it really does feel like that. Idk why, but it seems as though taking a bit of a break and coming back allows you to play with a fresher mindset of sorts. Although then again, the average netplay player's skill level isn't that high either (might be different for you guys in Europe, idk).

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
The average net player is fairly good, but not great. The average person on the Swedish Discord group; however, is generally quite damn good, and I try to play on there if anyone is on.
----

Upon further thought, I'll say this. Netplayers are strictly average. They aren't all that terrible, but they aren't all that good either. It's rare that I run into someone that is very bad, as well as someone that is very good.

The discord group is above average though.

Last edited:

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
You know, I stopped playing Mewtwo a few months ago. He just wasn't fun for me anymore. But after seeing some of Zoma's vids I said more or less "Your movement and speed with Mewtwo is amazing! You inspired me to play Mewtwo again". Then I thought to myself... "Did I really just say that?". Then I thought to myself "Who am I?". Lol. Anyway, I thought it over a bit and I believe that if you feel compelled to play a character (regardless of the reason) then you should play them. The confliction will hinder you if you don't. I have a lot more to say about this but I don't exactly know how to say it. If nothing else, doing our part to spread awareness of a character promotes diversity and helps the community.

Also, hi MookieRah MookieRah . Long time. No see.

SuperShus

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
East#694
from discord:
"i just realized how not technical you are
you do like
safer things that are good
by the FoD game falcon realized you weren't going for the tp to edge angles much and got a few grabs off of it on your first stock
and i dont really agree with tp behind falcon
hes very fast and he grabbed you a lot after

... you often getup attack or roll up as soon as you're about to run out of invincibility
I think you should get comfortable refreshing your invincibility"

ManXan

Smash Rookie
I got some hot new matches of me versus a Fox player of even skill. Note: It drew audio from my headphones and not just from the dolphin, so I apologize for the fact that you will have to listen to some random iTunes study playlist I had on while studying prior to playing.

Highlights:
https://gfycat.com/DefenselessAssuredApe
https://gfycat.com/BothSardonicChihuahua
https://gfycat.com/ReflectingPointedHartebeest

EDIT: What luck, played another amazing player. I didn't ask his permission to upload so for now he will remain anonymous. His combos are damned amazing.

Can you make a combo video? Those three clips alone would get me to watch it! Also, your M2 is SUPER solid and I feel like I'm learning a lot about him just by watching your matches.

Top Bottom