• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monster Hunter Discussion - any installment

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Insect Glaive is tons of fun. I guess I have a secondary weapon now. I wasn't planning on picking this on the release, but I have no choice it seems. Can't believe I will spend $80 in games in one single day (Monster Hunter and Majora's Mask), but it will be worth it.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Insect Glaive is tons of fun. I guess I have a secondary weapon now. I wasn't planning on picking this on the release, but I have no choice it seems. Can't believe I will spend $80 in games in one single day (Monster Hunter and Majora's Mask), but it will be worth it.
First of all, many thanks to @ LasermasterA LasermasterA for giving me a demo code!

I already knew I wanted it, but man, now that's just been reinforced by how the weapons have been improved. I started out slow, with Gunlance, to get used to the controls. The controls are actually really nice, even without the CPP or the C-stick. It's not too bad hitting the touch screen for the camera, but you don't even need that with Monster lock-on, most of the time.

It's so great having new areas to explore! These new areas have a lot more going on than past games, and they look beautiful, too.

The graphics themselves are nice. It's not HD quality, of course, but it still looks great. The 3D in this game is excellent. This is the first game I've played where I feel I would want to play with the 3D on more than one time.

When I switched to the bow, I noticed a lot of good things. For one, shooting with R and aiming with X (the opposite of past games) felt really disorienting at first. However, once I got the hang of it, I feels really nice. I remember when MH4 came out, I translated an article on why they did this, and I believe it was to allow the player to have fingers free in a comfortable position so they could tap the touch screen. Anyway, I was worried that the Bow would be underpowered like in 3U, because I saw people online complaining about not killing the monsters before time-out in the demo. However, it turns out that - surprise! - most people just can't into Bows, yet. I killed Great Jaggi waaaaay faster with the bow than with the Gunlance, and I never even used Power Coating until he was limping. The "screen shake" that happens at ideal range/damage is absolutely what was needed. And oh man, the power shot you can fire with A is great for stacking on damage when the target is lined up. Aiming when you tap X is only tricky because you manually aim with the D-pad. Being a gunner, I think the C-stick would be of most benefit to people like me; Blademasters probably don't need it.

The other main component to gunning is shooting the weak point as much as possible, so I'm gonna look up where best to shoot Tetsucabra and Gore Magala later. It's usually the head for most monsters, but some are different (Urugaan's tail and belly, Diablos' belly, etc.).

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
I wonder why they changed the bow controls. My friend was complaining about it for some time since it's his main weapon. Long Sword is still pretty sweet. The new move we got makes it even easier to finish a spirit combo. Hammer is still godly and the charge blade is so sick. Insect glaive seems like a good weapon, but it's not for me. Despite the great online, I will probably stick with my usual group of hunting friends at least for the first month or two since all the newer hunters don't care if they trip you up or not.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
First of all, many thanks to @ LasermasterA LasermasterA for giving me a demo code!

I already knew I wanted it, but man, now that's just been reinforced by how the weapons have been improved. I started out slow, with Gunlance, to get used to the controls. The controls are actually really nice, even without the CPP or the C-stick. It's not too bad hitting the touch screen for the camera, but you don't even need that with Monster lock-on, most of the time.

It's so great having new areas to explore! These new areas have a lot more going on than past games, and they look beautiful, too.

The graphics themselves are nice. It's not HD quality, of course, but it still looks great. The 3D in this game is excellent. This is the first game I've played where I feel I would want to play with the 3D on more than one time.

When I switched to the bow, I noticed a lot of good things. For one, shooting with R and aiming with X (the opposite of past games) felt really disorienting at first. However, once I got the hang of it, I feels really nice. I remember when MH4 came out, I translated an article on why they did this, and I believe it was to allow the player to have fingers free in a comfortable position so they could tap the touch screen. Anyway, I was worried that the Bow would be underpowered like in 3U, because I saw people online complaining about not killing the monsters before time-out in the demo. However, it turns out that - surprise! - most people just can't into Bows, yet. I killed Great Jaggi waaaaay faster with the bow than with the Gunlance, and I never even used Power Coating until he was limping. The "screen shake" that happens at ideal range/damage is absolutely what was needed. And oh man, the power shot you can fire with A is great for stacking on damage when the target is lined up. Aiming when you tap X is only tricky because you manually aim with the D-pad. Being a gunner, I think the C-stick would be of most benefit to people like me; Blademasters probably don't need it.

The other main component to gunning is shooting the weak point as much as possible, so I'm gonna look up where best to shoot Tetsucabra and Gore Magala later. It's usually the head for most monsters, but some are different (Urugaan's tail and belly, Diablos' belly, etc.).
I think the main reason they switched it to R to shoot and X to aim is because it is much easier to aim if you are not holding the R button. I remember in 3U, I tried to use bows, but aiming with R, trying to aim with the right circle pad (I was using the CPP,) and then trying to hit the X button to fire sucked. So my guess is that they made it easier/more comfortable for touch screen users as well as CPP users.

clearly you must be plat and you dont know it yet
I know what my account is. I am Gold. I checked it the night before they released the codes for the US.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I wonder why they changed the bow controls. My friend was complaining about it for some time since it's his main weapon. Long Sword is still pretty sweet. The new move we got makes it even easier to finish a spirit combo. Hammer is still godly and the charge blade is so sick. Insect glaive seems like a good weapon, but it's not for me. Despite the great online, I will probably stick with my usual group of hunting friends at least for the first month or two since all the newer hunters don't care if they trip you up or not.
Like I was trying to say, the new control scheme for Bow is way more natural. If it was like 3U, you'd be holding X with your thumb to shoot, holding R with your pointer finger to activate aim, and you'd be left to hit the touch screen either with your clumsy ring finger or your left hand. Now, you just hold the 3DS normally, and you can easily do anything.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Like I was trying to say, the new control scheme for Bow is way more natural. If it was like 3U, you'd be holding X with your thumb to shoot, holding R with your pointer finger to activate aim, and you'd be left to hit the touch screen either with your clumsy ring finger or your left hand. Now, you just hold the 3DS normally, and you can easily do anything.
I see. Never really touched gunner at all, but that does sound more comfortable. Overall, I'm super happy with this demo. The Freedom Unite and 3U demos were pretty unwelcoming to newer players, but this one seems to do a better job of easing people in. I can see why people who have played 4G say that there's no point in playing older versions of MH after playing 4U.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Nice analysis.

I have used bowguns and bow before but have never used them much. Although I did find manual aiming to be a bit tedious with bow. I didn't use the bow yet so didn't know about the R and X thing, well gotta try it out I guess.

The game is definitely faster paced then the previous game and the graphics look excellent. It does take some time to load though and same with shutdown but I guess it just uses the original 3DS hardware to a greater extent.

The game has definitely come out great though. I loved the Charge Blade and Insect Glaive as well. The Charge Blade was a decent brother to the Switch Axe, and the Insect Glaive sort of felt like a Long Sword. Plus it has the leap ability of its own making getting onto monsters back easier. 2 more weapons I am going to try my hand at.

Guess that just leaves the Hunting Horn which I don't know how to use, at all.

clearly you must be plat and you dont know it yet
I don't think it worked like that. I got codes and I am still 110 points from plat. Same with my sister who is not even Gold yet.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I've fought the Gore Magala like 10 times and already, it has become my utmost favorite monster in the series.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I've fought the Gore Magala like 10 times and already, it has become my utmost favorite monster in the series.
I'm gonna fight it for the first time tonight!

For those interested, as best as I could decipher, Tetsucabra's weak point is his tail (like Lagiacrus), and Gore Magala's weak point is his head. There isn't much info out there, but this seems to be correct. Of course, Great Jaggi's weak point is still his head.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Hey anyone has a spare EU code? My friend has an EU 3DS so I can't really give him a code, and he didn't get one yet.

Till then I will farm myself a Vangis X armour, gotta finish MH3U completely before MH4U comes out.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I'm gonna fight it for the first time tonight!

For those interested, as best as I could decipher, Tetsucabra's weak point is his tail (like Lagiacrus), and Gore Magala's weak point is his head. There isn't much info out there, but this seems to be correct. Of course, Great Jaggi's weak point is still his head.
You can throw a stick and it will possibly die.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
You can throw a stick and it will possibly die.
Yes, but you see, as an archer you become obsessed with hitting the weak point with every possible arrow. It's part of the challenge! That, and never getting hit.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yes because dying in 1.2 hits (sometimes just 1!) is fun.
Are you replying to me? I can't tell since you didn't quote me.

If you are replying to me, I do find using Bow and HBG to be the most fun. Usually, Gunners have the more creative mixed armor sets, and it's not uncommon to be able to utilize a Blademaster helm to boost your defense by a good amount.

Do Gunners die more easily? Of course. But you have to consider that if monsters didn't 2-shot Gunners, it wouldn't be any fun. You already get hit so rarely that if you could take twice as many hits, you would never be in any danger. Most people go for Blademaster, and that's fine. I play Hammer, Greatsword, and others on occasion, too... I have to, or I wouldn't get any tail cuts when playing solo! With that said, I don't look down on Blademasters for playing the way they enjoy the game. I think it's only fair that people who want to play Gunner classes be treated with the same respect.

Again, I find the increased challenge of using Bow to be the most fun. Not only do I build skill by never or rarely getting hit by a monster, but I also build skill by constantly flanking the monster and targeting weak points and hard-to-reach breakable parts. It's about precision, timing, and all that good stuff. Compare that to, say, a Dual Blades user. Do they need to avoid getting slaughtered? Sure, but they don't have many options at all as to what parts of the monsters they can target. Conversely, they do put on lots of damage in a very consistent manner over time, and look cool doing it. There are positives and negatives for any class.

With Bow, I can target anything I want (Alatreon's head, etc.), whenever I want (even flying enemies, unless it's Alatreon, because he's too high up), have great mobility, do damage while applying status, exhaust, KO, etc.. The only thing I can't do is reliably cut tails. I have cut off weaker tails with the Bow before, but monsters like Barioth are just silly. Using the Bow means I have a large amount of freedom and control. Basically, the reason Super Smash Bros. Melee is so popular

I think dying in 1 or 2 hits is an acceptable tradeoff for that freedom and level of control. To most, it is not. But that's good! If everyone used Bow, it wouldn't make me look as cool as a skilled archer; I'd just be lost in the crowd. If anything, the thing I hated most in MH3U was the Kelbi Slingshot spammers who didn't understand Bow fundamentals at all. Because the weapon was overpowered, many people used it without having to get good at that class first. It gave Bow users a bad name. Even though I was using a different weapon, I have been kicked from online rooms for being an archer in 3U because people are sick of the cheese... and the bumblers getting killed.

Anyway... Can't wait to be able to do this:

Pretty sure it's the first time Bow has ever gotten an event weapon in the West.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Sometimes it's annoying, yeah. I don't like it when a set of Gunner armor looks exactly the same as the Blademaster armor, and yet has half the defense. Link's green tunic is iconic, though, so "whatever" with that one.

I died twice on my first time fighting Gore. One of the blademasters died, and we lost. We were close! I think we did all the breaks on him. Pity. It always sucks to fail, and it sucks the worst when you feel responsible. Gore is no joke. The bugger has a lot of variety in the way it can attack you.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
gore is easy once you figure out that staying close to it is important

Me and @boozer failed 3 times, once by time out, and the other two times thanks to both of us carting too many times.

But now it's like

lol ez mode

I've solo'd it with every weapon, and killed it in like, 9 minutes just before with the switch axe.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
It's much easier to solo Gore since the solo version has very little health. Most of my kills are within 7-8 minutes with LS, but doing the multiplayer one with a friend takes almost the full quest timer. It's still a fun fight though and the virus mechanic is pretty sweet.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I'm Platinum and didn't get a code :(. I'm hyped to try it out, I'll be looking for a code all day so if anyone can steer me in the right direction please do.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
A buddy of mine, me and some random sub 10 mins completed Alatreon last night

Monster is difficult guize :>

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
Here's a free code for anyone who wants it.

A0700XSA0SWYK7RD

Just let me know if you use it.

Last edited:

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
Here's a free code guys, got extras in my email and gave a couple to some friends.

A0715WG32HS52KGW

Just mention if you use it.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I am digging the fact that Capcom is giving us some of the cool stuff that they typically release in Japan only now. Just goes to show you how far MH has come.

Cannot wait for my New 3DS to show up in the mail soon.

Last edited:

VValter

Smash Rookie
Here's a free code guys, got extras in my email and gave a couple to some friends.

A0715WG32HS52KGW

Just mention if you use it.
I got it, many thanks mah man, watching gaijin hunter tutorial videos wasn't cutting it (the hype) for me so thanks once again!

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Look on what Amiibo have wrought and despair.

I, uh... I love the new Bow controls. :happysheep:
Yup, they are way better than before, but I have met people who thought that the new bow controls suck, so yeah.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
What's up Hunters?

In celebration of MH4U coming out, I created an FB Group called Smash Hunters, consisting of smashers who like to hunt down monsters as well! NinjaLink plans on streaming some videos into the group for those new to the franchise. If you'd like to join, click the following link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/smashhunters

See you guys there!

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I can't wait for Friday! I didn't get into MH until Tri, and I beat the Ceadeus in the village and quit on that. MH3U, on the other hand, I have devoured. My best friend and I play together as often as possible, and we've beaten every monster in the game at least once (Abyssal Lagi was surprisingly not difficult, and I'm 2 mantles and a cloudy moonshard short of it's armor set).

I'm a Bow main and a Switch Axe sub in MH3U, but I really like almost all of the weapons (including the new ones in the demo). I'm not super crazy about Lances or Gun Lances, and I'm not overly experienced with the Bowguns. My plan in MH4U is to have at least 1 weapon in each type, but I don't think I'll ever stray too far from my beloved Bows (or resist making a ton of them for all purposes).

My greatest monster anticipations are the Nerscylla and Najarala. I've been so psyched to someday fight a spider monster, and Najarala just looks like too much fun!

Welp, sorry for the blathering. I'm just excited for Friday to be here! See ya out there, hunters!

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well for me Friday has already arrived and I can't absolutely wait to download the game as soon as it comes out on the eShop. Unlike many people, I actually really liked the demo of MH3U and it was what convinced me to get the game. After that I played MH3U primarily on 3DS, then a bit of MHF and MHFU and now MH4U today onwards.

Although I fear I have developed an unhealthy obsession with Monster Hunter considering I have been playing 3U almost non-stop since a few months (after a hiatus), trying to get all achievements solo (I currently just have the 3DS version at university) and I am just as stoked for MH4U.

Well see you all there! I have not really spoiled myself for MH4U so I am trying to keep some monsters as surprises. I will definitely keep playing 3U as well considering I am still not convinced that I have played the game to my satisfaction.

Here's to more Monster Hunting! Good luck!

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
This is my final goodbye. After today, I will retire to some cave in the mountains to play MH4U for the rest of eternity. I want to thank all of you for fueling my obsession.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
This is my final goodbye. After today, I will retire to some cave in the mountains to play MH4U for the rest of eternity. I want to thank all of you for fueling my obsession.
Don't worry. I might end up in the same cave.

Just waiting for the game to come out on the eShop already!

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Does anyone know where I need to go to register for Guild Quests?

Top Bottom