• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Momentum Canceling

Guide Momentum Canceling

F-ric

Smash Cadet
F-ric submitted a new guide:

Momentum Canceling - Advanced techniques to give you more control over Luigi's crazy movement

Momentum canceling (MC) is a set of techniques used to stop momentum during a wavedash or when sliding from a hit. It can be performed with any character; however Luigi has by far the best and most useful MC due to his traction and incredible wavedash. He can put himself in a situation to use one of these options anytime he wavedashes. The other characters uses for these tools are much less overall and I would rather focus on how it can impact Luigi specifically. MC is extremely useful and...
Read more about this guide...

F-ric

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone I updated this guide and posted it in the guide section. I only see a few top Luigis utilize only a couple of these techniques and I think these could help advance the Luigi metagame. I really hope you guys take the time to read and understand this as I think it is extremely useful to know. I'm happy to answer and respond to any comments/questions/criticisms, thanks!

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
Couldn't you wavedash down on the spot? Since airdodges stop momentum but make new momentum?

F-ric

Smash Cadet
Couldn't you wavedash down on the spot? Since airdodges stop momentum but make new momentum?
Like sapo said a wavedash down has about 15 frames of lag before Luigi becomes actionable again whereas most of these techniques optimally take somewhere between 3-5 frames. A 10 frame difference is very significant in Melee.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
That being said, wavedashe in place is an interesting feint-it plays the sound clip of a wavedashe "Ya!" and creates a cloud under luigi like a typical WD. This may cause your opponent to panic and throw an attack out in hopes of stopping your 'approach'

Top Bottom