• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Falco Q&A

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Thanks, Mogwai. I didn't know that there were so many ways to laser. Looking forward to the HW coming up. (Never thought I would say that). Well done. What about ledge hop reverse laser, or is that just pointlessly flashy?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Thanks, Mogwai. I didn't know that there were so many ways to laser. Looking forward to the HW coming up. (Never thought I would say that). Well done. What about ledge hop reverse laser, or is that just pointlessly flashy?
it's fine, I just didn't mention it because I stopped mentioning reversal variants after the Retreating SHL. You're just better doing a drop down double laser for those cases anyway (why would you be on the ledge? I guess after a ledgehop bair -> regrab vs Peach/Samus/Jiggs maybe...).

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Falco School is too good. Let's give him a minute before we start asking for lesson 3. At least wait till lesson 2 is done. I have to perfect my laser game.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
This comes right at the time when I'm picking up Falco and realizing that my approach sucks because I forget I have those **** lasers. My combos are solid and spacing is decent, but I get ***** in between combos/edgeguarding. This should come in handy.

Ryucloud

Smash Journeyman
A Place Where *****s Are Real=Rhode Island BABY!!!
Yo yeah i have a question im not really a falco player but my friend is and he needs some advice he has everything preety much down from lasers to wavdashing and shines the only thing is that he wants to learn falco piliaring to bring his game to the next level especially on the L cancel any advice

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Put a "dead" human controller in the second slot. Set items to very high, but only turn on starmans. The invincibility simulates a shield. This should help his timing. You work a little bit slower when going against a shield.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
You work a little bit slower when going against a shield.
Yeah. There are 3 SHFFL timings: whiff (hit nobody), hitting somebody, and hitting a shield. Really, hitting the shield is the most important timing because it'll help you not get shield grabbed (especially using Falco), but all 3 are important.

One way to practice the "hitting someone" timing is to get a wavebird, hold the stick up, then turn it on. Then play Falco in another slot and set the wavebird to Bowser. Then set damage ratio to 0.5. Go to FD and dair to shine like a madman.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Yeah. There are 3 SHFFL timings: whiff (hit nobody), hitting somebody, and hitting a shield. Really, hitting the shield is the most important timing because it'll help you not get shield grabbed (especially using Falco), but all 3 are important.

One way to practice the "hitting someone" timing is to get a wavebird, hold the stick up, then turn it on. Then play Falco in another slot and set the wavebird to Bowser. Then set damage ratio to 0.5. Go to FD and dair to shine like a madman.
Thanks, I'm going to go try this.

@Ryucloud: Pardon?

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i hella falco's shield pressure.
when the player knows how to mix it up well, it's entertaining to watch.

but peach's pillar is sicker!!!! ha

ridikulus

Smash Apprentice
rofl
uuhhh
idk if this is new or not lool
but i was bored and i did it by accident, so i recorded it with my phone :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfQX_6V9Oxs
idk??? anything new? if not sorry for wasting your time ^_^ , thought it was cool so i thought i'de share :p

edit: also, sorry cuz i didnt know where i should put this, probably wasnt worth a thread :p

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Yo yeah i have a question im not really a falco player but my friend is and he needs some advice he has everything preety much down from lasers to wavdashing and shines the only thing is that he wants to learn falco piliaring to bring his game to the next level especially on the L cancel any advice
the starman practice stuff is OK, but I really just do the stuff in my note on HWs in the laser guide except with a level 1 comp (9 handicap, you at 1, dmg ratio at .5) and just shffl the hell outa them.

the bigger thing to learn is that pillaring is not half as useful as you ever want it to be. don't think that learning it will really solve any problems in your game. I suggest focusing on the other parts of your game and as your l-canceling gets more consistant, it'll come....

...also just learn to shine grab rather than attempting to sustain a pillar

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
rofl
uuhhh
idk if this is new or not lool
but i was bored and i did it by accident, so i recorded it with my phone :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfQX_6V9Oxs
idk??? anything new? if not sorry for wasting your time ^_^ , thought it was cool so i thought i'de share :p

edit: also, sorry cuz i didnt know where i should put this, probably wasnt worth a thread :p
not new, not terribly useful. It's slower than most standard ways of getting to the ledge. If you're anywhere close to the ledge at the end of Falco's up B, it ignores facing and just grabs the ledge for you.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Falco's grab game isn't all that, but a free grab is a free grab. Good advice, Mogwai. I think we all have a subconscious desire to break a shield.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
Falco's grab game isn't all that, but a free grab is a free grab. Good advice, Mogwai. I think we all have a subconscious desire to break a shield.
can i sig that last sentence? lol i really couldn't agree more.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
If you're good at predicting Falco's tech chase game with f-throw or d-throw becomes pretty **** good, just make sure every grab you made is jc'd. This makes falco gameplay more fluid imo, but I think a lot of falco players don't like to grab that much.

Btw grab out of shine is way better than pillaring, hell! it's even better than double shining pillaring... unless you can do it frame perfectly, well idk but last time I did it and didn't mess up, my friend managed to grab me after the 2nd shine just like you would grab a normal pillar. Scotu told me that fair pillaring was "ungrabbale" if you could do it frame perfectly, you have to fastfall it and hit twice; but still, there isn't anypoint on doing it when you can buffer a roll at anytime...

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Not sure maybe...

*logs on msn to ask scotu*

sry his not in. I'll ask him later

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
Aren't we all? FAIR actually has a use? Then again, not many can do anything frame-perfect THAT consistently. I might try that dthrow tech chase. I also play Falcon, so I can brush up on my predicting skills while playing Falco. Thanks.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i knew you could full hop double laser and get one laser at pea jump height and the second at normal SHL height. But i didn't know about immediate double jumped double laser... good to know.

i also thought that the SHL spacing section was very insightful and useful and i never thought about it in that way.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
OK ive been waiting for like ever to post here..Mogwai awesome awesome post on lasers.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
shine grab isnt always better than regular shield stuff

dair/nair shine shenanigans let you follow rolls or whatever, shine grab only works if it connects

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
me and my friend just tried out fair pillaring and it's a little odd

when you say frame perfect, are you referring to how quick you fair out of the shine?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
yes, and the shuffling speed too... You have to hit twice an be fast. But seriously tho, people shouldn't bother trying it.

Pressure with pillar and stuff like multishines isn't bad. Just be sure to don't mess up anything and be as fluid as possible : : use other moves like nair, lasers,jabs with really good spacing so you don't get grabbed

Top Bottom