• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ModestoLand

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah i agree. i have been trying to practice brawl again and seriously i can't play any other character besides MK

he can do everything

the man

Smash Apprentice
I think that's the main problem with brawl, competitively anyway. MK is just too good and it doesn't really make sense to pick anyone else. MK dittos are pretty boring imo.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha they're fun to me because i'm good at him

anyway, at top level, mk has a few difficult matchups: ic's, olimar, diddy kong. snake and falco to some degree as well. and then there's those random ZSS players that do amazingly well sometimes.

3 of those characters are gimmicky and have to play defensively: ic, olimar, snake
diddy, falco, and zss all have solid neutral games to fight mk

but all those characters have other kinds of matchup problems where MK does not.

keep in mind the winner of apex 2014 was a japanese ic's player, so godlike but so lame LOL

Last edited:

the man

Smash Apprentice
I'm impressed by 9B, did he beat m2k or nairo? Either way that's incredible. Falco doesn't seem to be that good of a counter towards MK mainly because he dies really early to shuttleloops and is easily gimped. Other than his laser and some of his oos options after shuttleloop I don't see how he would work out tbh. The other characters I understand to an extent because they have a pretty good punish game.

Falco gets dunked, it's not even close. MK and ICs all day, but then you realize the amount of effort ICs take (not a whole lot) is just better put on MK LOL.

MK dittos are fun. Lmfao I accidentally typed "brawl dittos are fun" when I typed it out first then i realized what I said. too good subconsciously saying the only matchup is mk vs mk

Last edited:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
mk dittos are legit fun

the only other characters i can get excited fighting mk with are snake, diddy, and ic's, because i feel like my projectiles actually do something. any other matchup against mk is just extremely hard

though i wanna practice ness haha

yo maybe sometime I can hold a smashfest here or something if you guys wanna play PM, brawl, and melee. Just have to pick a day where we can get the most people to show up or something. I'll buy you guys food like last time with my yugi bucks. dat avocado freestyle

Last edited:

thechuckcharles

Smash Rookie
NNID
thechuckcharles
Is this a place to meet up with fellow modesto peeps? I'm confused. I'm also pleasantly surprised there appears to be a boat load of Modesto Smashers out there. If there's anyone out there who is serious about trying to get better PM me! I could go for a Smash Bud to try and practice with. I'm extremely rusty and its been awhile, but if someone is willing I have a lot of free time. and I'm not a douche, so there's that!

the man

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played smash with andre, nick or anyone else in awhile. When I first started lurking this thread I really wanted to get into competitive smash but I always found myself overwhelmed with improving and investing to go to tournaments. Also, most major tourny's are about 1-3 hours away or are in L.A. I want to start smashing more for real now that I'm off my 1-2 year hiatus.

I still want to and now I have every reason to since schools out for awhile and my job doesn't require all of my time. Problem is, I'm not that great at the game and my only half decent character is falcon. My tech skill is bad too. In both P:M and melee. I'd prefer to get some experience before going to a tournament tbh so I can get a grasp of what to expect and learn from other people.

My motivation has kind of wavered over the past year and a half or so due to school and other events in my life but I always find myself coming back to smash because it's one of my favorite game series' of all time and it's always fun even when I'm getting pwned. And project M is the best of both worlds IMO. My bro and I have been playing a lot lately and he picks up games so fast man. He has a better grasp on wavelands/wavedashes than I do and I practiced that stuff for hours on end. All I had to do was tell him how to do it and an hour or two later he's wavedashing better than me.

I can't seem to implement consistent wavedashing into my gameplay for whatever reason and to see my little bro pick up on it 10000x faster than me is pretty sad.

TL;DR Pointless wall of text, I'm bad and I wanna start playing more. Hit me up through a pm or whatever and we can smash when I'm not working which is pretty often.

thechuckcharles

Smash Rookie
NNID
thechuckcharles
maybe the three of us can get the Modesto scene going again? Look, technical skill can be gained...with practice against human beings. I suck, so if you suck that's perfect. If I played with a legit pro he'd be bored out of his mind as he consistently mopped the floor with me. I'm all about having fun and if me and my fellow smashers suck oh well, we tried. Gaming isn't about dominating to me its all about having fun. As long as you have fun you will get better. If you guys do want to play PM Me.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
maybe i'd be down if something happened...lol

i don't really play melee anymore but i'd still just be down to go and play once in a while

also the list of actives/semi-actives/people still around is as follows:

suuwo
choknater
the man
thechuckcharles
me (i guess)
park???? (the legend)

thechuckcharles

Smash Rookie
NNID
thechuckcharles
so 6 including myself? That's not bad! We can have a little smash group together. Have some days where we meet up, get some wing stop, and then practice together

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sup man

you can text me at 2096046978

or add me on facebook, my name is Andre Theus Felix

i don't check smashoards as often but i still wanna keep the scene alive

i may be going to a fresno tourny this weekend so if yall wanna come/hitch a ride let me know

thechuckcharles

Smash Rookie
NNID
thechuckcharles
between Andre and the man looks like we got a little group slowly forming. add me on Facebook and message me as well if you want in, I am determined to bring the scene back and get some fun times in before the new smash comes out!

facebook.com/chucklesxcore

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
let's do tournaments lol. current venue that we use is in manteca but it'd be cool to have them closer to home in modesto

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yea the evo matches were crazy! wish we could've seen Armada v Mango grand finals, but hbox was on fire!

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Modesto Players we know you live far but come up and get your smash or any other game you like to play on.

We Hungry and we want competition and for that reason I want to invite you guys to come up to The Biggest Little City. Come represent your town or City, Come see how you stack up to Reno’s Finest.
Starlite Fight Night

Games List: Casual USFIV, UMVC3, Xtekken, KOF, TTT2, Melee, Brawl, PM
Dates / Days:Friday-Sat
Times: 630pm-1amSaturday
Address: (1201 Stardust street, Reno, NV 89503, USA)
Prices: 1$ raffle donation no required fee
Stream Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/prod7gy
Group's SRK Thread, Facebook, Twitter, Webpage Links ect.
RENOCREW 2011 (Northern Nevada's Fightin Game Scene)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/122190174533481/

Starlite Fight Night Tournament Edition
Games List: USFIV, UMVC3, Melee, PM (Xtekken, KOF, TTT2, Brawl, Tournament pending enough entrants)
Dates / Days:Last Friday of Every Month
Times: 630pmFriday-1amSaturday
Address: (1201 Stardust street, Reno, NV 89503, USA)
Prices: 6$ entry, 5$ dollar for tournament and 1$ for venue. Dollar raffle that happens this day also available for 1$
Stream Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/prod7gy
Group's SRK Thread, Facebook, Twitter, Webpage Links ect.
RENOCREW 2011 (Northern Nevada's Fightin Game Scene)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/122190174533481/

CBK

Smash Journeyman
Man we always rolling to norcal socal vegas oregon washington for tournaments and competition, we just inviting those who want to come haha. But I know modesto is far haha.

tikobroje

Smash Rookie
What are you nerds up to next week? between August 3rd and August 8th? ill be in Cali for a week and trying to decide if i should bother bringing a controller

this is anthony btw

tikobroje

Smash Rookie
ill bring a controller not to hard to throw it in my dufflebag. do you guys play PM? i havent played melee since 3.0 came out pretty much only play PM. but i guess when your in texas thats not a bad thing lol

also who do you guys use?

i play Wario, Diddy, and Roy,dabble wit lucas and of course fox/shiek/falcon

not 100% sure what days ill be free to play if at all but it'd be nice play some while there got a big tourney coming on the 14th MD/VA most likely showing up along with Houston and some from San Antonio dont wanna lose out on weeks worth of practice

Last edited:

Electric Lady

Smash Rookie
NNID
JohnQuixote
3DS FC
0662-4546-8146
Reporting in as a Melee/PM baddie. Just moved back into town from the Bay Area and am practicing so I'll be coming around the topic to see what's going on in Modesto for sure. Otherwise I'm certainly down for netplay every once in a while.

In PM I've mostly been playing as Bowser, but I think I'll be able to get used to the faster characters soon, too. I like playing a little bit with Lucas.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hey what's up

on fb we have a couple groups called "Central Valley Smash" and "Official CentralCali Smash" which is based around fresno, and also Sacramento Smash. most local tournaments are posted there

otherwise yeah this page is usually just for random chatting

we SHOULD be talking to war torn front in manteca to host a tournament soon but i can't find a good time

the next bigger tourny should be the fresno project m monthly on Aug 16, which i will likely be driving to so people can hitch a ride

the man

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully I'm not working on the 16th otherwise I'll go for sure. No plans or anything.

Time to practice that Yoshi/falcon/ike tech.

Top Bottom