• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MM Worst Matchups

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What matchups do you think are toughest for Mega Man? And why? Is it because MM struggles to kill them? Do they have better neutral over MM?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Fox, who can hold his Reflector up as soon as Mega Man starts shooting and just send all the nuisance pellets right back at him.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Fox might be a problem, but you can play around his Reflector. And the reflected lemon will cancel out the following one, so you'll only get hit by at most one, and that's if you don't react in time. Reflector is most dangerous on a Charge Shot, but a reflected Metal Blade or Leaf Shield can disrupt or enable further punishment. But Metal Blade, if thrown from far enough away, won't travel all the way to Mega Man when reflected. And both Metal Blade and Crash Bomber can be lemoned out of existence if they're reflected.

Charge Shot is a bit better than it was in SSB4, so it matters more than it used to that you have to be very careful with f-smash against reflector characters. But I find that that's the most dangerous part of playing against a player with a reflector (or Villager/Isabelle with Pocket). Most of Mega Man's projectiles aren't powerful enough individually for it to be very dangerous. Especially since Air Shooter will be reflected downward and Hard Knuckle is typically used on recovering opponents who won't be able to use their reflectors anyway. They're not going to reflect every move you put out, unless you're really predictable, and if they're really trying to do that, they're inevitably going to open themselves up to grabs, fairs, bairs, or unthrown Leaf Shield, etc. You have to take a different approach, but I find it's not nearly as bad as being Wii Fit Trainer against a reflector character - Sun Salutation is a more important part of her kit than Charge Shot is for Mega Man and with the damage bonus reflectors give, a mistake can be a KO more easily than a mistake with lemons, MB, LS, etc.

I think characters that can combo Mega Man well and get in easily are more of an issue than reflectors per se.

Last edited:

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I think characters that can combo Mega Man well and get in easily are more of an issue than reflectors per se.
Pretty much this, Mega Man's fast fall speed makes him combo food for any rushdown character that can manage to get in his face. So Fox can be a difficult matchup, but not really because of his reflector. I'd say the matchup is slightly worse than in 4 on account of the changes to Leaf Shield, it was one of his best tools in the matchup imo.

It's funny you bring up WFT, because I found her to be a surprisingly tough matchup in 4. She has the mobility to get away from attacks and can heal the few weak hits you manage to land on her. And if she's healing she's most likely throwing her charge projectile at you, something I think MM can really struggle with. I don't think every charge projectile character beats MM, but they can usually invalidate a majority of his projectiles (aside from characters like Corrin, whose projectile has super low durability). For example, the dynamics in the Samus matchup are almost night and day depending on if she manages to get Charge Shot fully charged. So I'd say at least characters with good mobility and charge projectiles can be difficult (like WFT and Mewtwo). I'm not sure about Lucario but on paper he seems like a difficult matchup, given Mega Man's ability to rack up damage and difficulty in landing KOs.

I feel like Bowser is worth mentioning. Idk if he's necessarily a losing matchup, but his tough guy armor shuts down any lemon-centric playstyle. At the very least you have to adapt to using different attacks more.

Swordies can be a tough time, too. They also excel at mid-range and their disjointed hitboxes can stuff projectiles without much risk.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
WFT is my other Smash 4 main. Definitely find Fox and his reflector to be a much bigger problem for WFT than Mega Man, in both games. Villager is also much more challenging for WFT since Pocket deprives WFT of the ball altogether for some reason, while Mega Man is allowed to pull another Metal Blade. Add in that Lloid and tree can block the ball, and letting a Villager with a charged Sun Salutation in Pocket is extremely dangerous... Pocket isn't really a big deal for Mega Man though (although pocketed Air Shooter is far more dangerous than a reflected one).

Regarding Mega Man vs. WFT... I do kinda have to say that while in SSB4, there was a clear advantage for Mega Man (I could win more easily with Mega Man in most matchups, although WFT was more likely to benefit from an opponent being unfamiliar... not that Mega Man was a super common character either), in SSBU, they gave WFT a lot of buffs (most normal attacks are just faster or stronger, some improvements to Header and big buffs to Deep Breathing). A lot more than buffs to Mega Man who doesn't seem changed enough to significantly alter his tier placement... So I'm finding more success with WFT so far (consistently my highest GSP character). Might be that I'll make WFT my SSBU icon at this rate...

Not enough experience on either end of the matchup in SSBU, but in SSB4 I thought the matchup was clearly but not overwhelmingly in Mega Man's favor. Yes, a charged Sun Salutation is a wonderful thing against Mega Man, but you have other advantages. You have lots of options to knock the Header ball back at WFT and the common WFT tactic of running off ledge to hit the ball low on the stage can backfire if Mega Man shoots a lemon or Crash Bomber and hits the ball before she launches it... she takes it to the face instead. Lemons and such can make it difficult to charge Sun Salutation. I was not typically jumping offstage to charge SS, but it's a much more dangerous move with the new airdodge mechanics, which makes it even harder to charge if someone is getting in your face. So Mega Man needs to get in WFT's face and not let her charge SS, be mindful of the Header ball and look for opportunities to interrupt the ball or hit her lower body (if she's on-stage). WFT's normals don't have great range, so if you're close enough to interfere with her projectile plans but keeping in that midrange zone, she can have trouble. Use lots of lemons. Mega's other aerials generally outrange hers too. I would keep in mind that the new lower default angle on Header in SSBU makes it more useful at midrange than it used to be though.

Could be with the WFT buffs in SSBU that the matchup is more even, but I think most of those dynamics should still hold up. I guess I'll see what I think after I've played the matchup from both sides more, but I expect it will still be somewhat in Mega's favor. You definitely need matchup familiarity on both ends, since both characters are unusual.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Yeah I would agree Fox is bad for Mega Man, but not necessarily just for the reflector. It's the fact that he makes combo food out of Mega Man, you have a pretty hard time landing against him. Z-dropped metal blades or throwing them down helps and so do fast-fall f-air / b-air, but he's still going to get off gross amounts of damage on Mega Man from juggles.

Keep in mind that Fox can immediately cancel his reflector with jump, spot dodge, roll or shield only if it reflects something. So if you bait it out and he doesn't reflect anything, he still suffers ending lag from the move (a bit less than in S4). You can use that cool down to punish him. Remember he doesn't like being offstage, that's the best place to put him.

Last edited:

DCavalier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cavalierredeyes
Switch FC
SW 5638 2481 3507
Zelda is a really bad matchup for Megaman thanks to Phantom and Nayru's Love.

Phantom protects Zelda from pellets, MB and Crash Bomber, even if something goes tru it she can always Nayru to avoid it.
Nayru's Love is a bigger pain than Phantom in that it makes approaching for the kill really hard because of the invincibility frames and the lingering hitbox.
Also note that Zelda can Farore's Wind on reaction to your Metal Blade or Pellets and you won't be able to Shield or Jump in time if grounded.

If you play against a Good patient Zelda you are in for a rough time.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The Lovespam is really a problem. I remember that being a very annoying matchup in Smash 4, even though she was low-tier. They've only made her better in SSBU...

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I was thinking the Ness matchup would be difficult for Megaman but now that I think about it Magnet only really eats forward smash. I think the matchup is actually pretty even and I can’t decide if either have advantage. Maybe Megaman’s fair for edgeguarding shifts the match up slightly in his favor but I’m not sure on that because Ness can avoid it

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I was thinking the Ness matchup would be difficult for Megaman but now that I think about it Magnet only really eats forward smash. I think the matchup is actually pretty even and I can’t decide if either have advantage. Maybe Megaman’s fair for edgeguarding shifts the match up slightly in his favor but I’m not sure on that because Ness can avoid it
PSI Magnet eats the small pellets (jab/forward tilt/neutral air) as well. And, yes, for anyone having trouble with the Dr. Wily fight: use Ness or Lucas. The AI will happily shoot pellets into your magnet over and over again.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
PSI Magnet eats the small pellets (jab/forward tilt/neutral air) as well. And, yes, for anyone having trouble with the Dr. Wily fight: use Ness or Lucas. The AI will happily shoot pellets into your magnet over and over again.
True but I still don’t think it’s necessarily and advantage match up for Ness and I think it might be slightly in MMs favor. He can out zone Ness hard and keep Ness off him with leave shield. Ness can do plenty to MM but not enough to give him advantage

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
PSI Magnet eats pellets, charge shot (f-smash) and the explosion from Crash Bomber. But you're not going to generally get to absorb more than a couple pellets at a time, and it's probably not worth it to absorb a couple pellets if you get punished (or you incorrectly predicted pellets and instead get a Metal Blade or Leaf Shield).

Crash Bomber is probably the most useful thing you'll get to absorb, unless you get lucky with an f-smash. I guess you might have more success with that against someone who just picked up Mega Man in SSBU though! It was a much less safe move in SSB4, and I probably need to use it more since it's better now. But against a Ness I'm pretty unlikely to just throw it out.

Of course, you'll need to be careful that when you go to absorb the Crash Bomber explosion you don't get interrupted by getting hit with something else...

Anyway, I would say that Ness and Lucas are not Mega Man's worst or best matchups by any means. They're somewhere in the middle, but I'm not confident enough to say beyond that.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
PSI Magnet eats pellets, charge shot (f-smash) and the explosion from Crash Bomber. But you're not going to generally get to absorb more than a couple pellets at a time, and it's probably not worth it to absorb a couple pellets if you get punished (or you incorrectly predicted pellets and instead get a Metal Blade or Leaf Shield).

Crash Bomber is probably the most useful thing you'll get to absorb, unless you get lucky with an f-smash. I guess you might have more success with that against someone who just picked up Mega Man in SSBU though! It was a much less safe move in SSB4, and I probably need to use it more since it's better now. But against a Ness I'm pretty unlikely to just throw it out.

Of course, you'll need to be careful that when you go to absorb the Crash Bomber explosion you don't get interrupted by getting hit with something else...

Anyway, I would say that Ness and Lucas are not Mega Man's worst or best matchups by any means. They're somewhere in the middle, but I'm not confident enough to say beyond that.
Same actually, I’m not confident to where to exactly place the matchup but it’s somewhere close to even I believe

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm more concerned with the Leaf Shield. How do you deal with that when Mega Man has it and walks into you? I would think you want to rush down Mega Man because he relies heavily on zoning, but when he pulls out that Leaf Shield, it becomes difficult. There is an amount of delay in Ness' attacks when throws out an attack against Leaf Shield, too. Use dair against Leaf Shield and you'll see what I mean. If you have answers on how to deal with that, that would be appreciated. I would do fine against this MU otherwise. Leaf Shield is my bane at the moment, however.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Mario makes me want to break something. His cape is way too safe and can shut down a ton of Rock's options. Then there's the fact that he can combo you for days. Not a good time.

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
I would say the only thing Mega man struggles with is killing heavy characters. So I would say maybe rob/yoshi is a bad match up but as a Mega man main I honestly do not have trouble with any characters or at least none that come into my head that I always have trouble with. I think Mega man is in a strong spot.

Mr. Man

Smash Rookie
I would say the only thing Mega man struggles with is killing heavy characters. So I would say maybe rob/yoshi is a bad match up but as a Mega man main I honestly do not have trouble with any characters or at least none that come into my head that I always have trouble with. I think Mega man is in a strong spot.
Yoshi I could see because of the buffs he got in this game as well as the super armor but if your patient enough and play the mid game fine you should be good. rob is a rather decent matchup for MegaMan because he can pellet all of his really good moves so aside from rob being really good hes not going to be much trouble in my opinion.

SneakOak

Smash Rookie
Yoshi I could see because of the buffs he got in this game as well as the super armor but if your patient enough and play the mid game fine you should be good. rob is a rather decent matchup for MegaMan because he can pellet all of his really good moves so aside from rob being really good hes not going to be much trouble in my opinion.
https://m.facebook.com/beaesneak/po...tn__=EH-R&cached_data=false&ftid=&mdp=1&mdf=1
I have footage on the Yoshi MU, very doable

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
Ya megaman seems to go pretty even with everyone. I only said Rob cause he's so heavy and megaman can have trouble killing at times and he can range with us. Yoshi I said because he's so fast and can edgeguard us super easy. His out of sheild game is just insane and he can spam eggs if needed but you guys are right there both easily winnable as well.

SneakOak

Smash Rookie
I believe Megaman do have some bad matchups, like Fox which is near imposible or Pichu which is too small and comboes Megaman forever, however, Megaman does have other good MUs

SneakOak

Smash Rookie
It seams that this is the only thread alive about Megaman, so I may ask you, how do you beat Ricther? The cross seams to block us all and he can up b out of everything when close, he seems really hard

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Fox is for sure bad for Mega Man. But I think it's very doable myself. It all comes down to having to adapt to him and knowing how to bait reflector, abusing his disadvantage state as much as possible too and capitalizing on him being offstage.

Ditto Wolf, ditto Falco, ditto (Dr.) Mario, all who are not as bad.

Just don't get predictable charging F-smash to cover ledge against them or whatever. Catch your habits with your projectiles especially against these characters. Otherwise, you can bet they'll punish with their reflective moves.

Mr. Man

Smash Rookie
It seams that this is the only thread alive about Megaman, so I may ask you, how do you beat Ricther? The cross seams to block us all and he can up b out of everything when close, he seems really hard
You just have to get good at maneuvering around projectiles. No real easy way to deal with them.

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice

Would DK be a problem or would it be a winning matchup for MegaMan!? wanna know bc im a dk main and im just curious with this matchup.

Last edited:

Leap of Faith

Smash Cadet
megaman has an easy time with dk imo since he is super easy to edge guard for us. Just for you as a dk player watch of for are uptilt and down smash off stage since there are best ways to kill dk.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm not the best Mega Man out there lol so I'm not the best person to ask. But I would say that characters that don't have great ways to deal with Mega Man's projectiles (reflector or absorb moves or their own good projectiles to spam that cancel out or outrange Mega Man's) usually have trouble with him, especially if they're slow. But DK does have good range on a number of attacks, which helps him out.

I personally find DK to be a favorable matchup for MM most of the time. But you know, that's against me and the people I go up against on Quickplay. Could be that higher level players would have a different view tho.

Last edited:

Afro Ninja

Smash Rookie
Mega Man honestly doesn't have many bad matchups imo. His worst 2 MUs imo are Fox and Pikachu. Fox, reasons already said, is quick, combo heavy, and has a reflector. However it should be noted Mega Man will absolutely destroy Fox off-stage so it isn't that bad. Pika also is rather quick and will combo Mega Man to death. It is extremely hard to get out of disadvantaged against Pika especially when you are off-stage. Pika can go so deep and there isn't a whole lot you can do when Pika goes out for an edgeguard.

ZSS is also kind of tough just because she has virtually no disadvantage and can around pellets really easily.

Top Bottom