• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Raleigh Results - August 27th-29th - Full Results and Brackets Up!

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
Wow good **** to Lounis gettin back up there after Colo. Also good **** to Micaelis, Reflex, Kismet, 4GOD.

GA Represent!

Eazy23

Smash Lord
I gave Izumi explicit instructions to get those guys to order a cab. Atomsk even said they were told this. Izumi stayed because if he left HE would likely have been DQd instead of them.

Its very simple; round started right on time at 2:30. I told everyone on Friday to get there at 2:00pm. I also posted a schedule on Saturday around 10-11AM that said get there 30 minutes before start time to be safe (aka 2:00PM). Their group didn't arrive until 3:00PM.

I have little sympathy in this situation because I gave explicit instructions in how not to get themselves DQ an HOUR before their match was scheduled to start (aka order a cab). I was told numerous times they were only "10 minutes from the venue". We are in downtown Raleigh, and anyone who lives in a city can tell you if you order a cab it'll be there within 20 minutes if you tell them you need it ASAP (probably faster actually). +10 = they would have been there a HALF hour early if they just followed my instructions (in other words even if the cab was late it would have to be a half hour late + the ~20 extra minutes they had before they were finally DQ'd completely).

The burden of getting them should not have been placed on Izumi considering he had to play a match at 2:00PM and Ally/ADHD/etc match was scheduled at 2:30PM.

Btw, M2K showed up over 3 hours before his match time. As did many other pros. Taking such a huge risk is ultimately irresponsible.
If they were only 10 mins away, why couldnt Izumi go get them and play his match when they got back?

Izumi could have been constipated and held up his match for 20 mins, does that get him dq'd as well?

ANTi_

Smash Hero
You guys should change the rule to like

"If you pause you lose a stock"

Why would you lose the whole game from a pause that happens on one stock?

Jerm paused against Swordgard @ Apex and he just had to SD, that's it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If they were only 10 mins away, why couldnt Izumi go get them and play his match when they got back?
Izumi had to play at 2PM. He told me of the situation at 1:30PM. If you don't think he jeopardized his own tournament match by leaving for a "10 minute" drive (the quotes is cause "10 minutes" is likely a underestimate) then you are nuts. Aside from the drive he would also have to leave the venue, come back in the venue, likely wait for them to get their stuff cause I highly doubt they would be outside in the driveway just waiting to be picked up, etc etc. To many unknown factors. Meanwhile Izumi was there, on time/early and ready for his match. Why should he risk himself getting DQ'd when the answer to the situation was as simple as them calling a taxi? There really isn't any excuse here.

I've been to 30+ MLG events in 20+ different cities. I go by taxi at ALL of these places. Trust me, if they were as close to the city as they claimed and had called a taxi at 1:30PM when they were told to do so, then they would have been picked up and at the venue not just in time for the 2:30PM start time of the match, but likely 20 minutes prior to that. I told them (via telling Izumi to tell them) to do this, it would have worked, and atomsk confirmed to me that they got the message even. But they chose to wait for Izumi for some reason (and also to set up the situation in the first place where they would only be at the venue right before their match instead of arriving decently early like every other player at the tournament).

Izumi could have been constipated and held up his match for 20 mins, does that get him dq'd as well?
Maybe/Probably? I'd have to evaluate whether he had an actually unavoidable medical condition/problem/was sick.

You really want to compare someone doing everything they can to get to their match on time, then having something unfortunate like being sick happen?

Versus someone who planned poorly, slept in, and didn't do something as simple as making a phone call to a taxi company?

What am I gonna hear next? That in the days of the internet they didn't know the taxi number?

-Ran

Smash Master
You guys should change the rule to like

"If you pause you lose a stock"

Why would you lose the whole game from a pause that happens on one stock?

Jerm paused against Swordgard @ Apex and he just had to SD, that's it.
Or if you pause during a grab, you just let them get the grab again. I've accidentally pressed pause before against Smoon in a match when I was attempting to mash out and our solution was just to let him get his grab again.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Or if you pause during a grab, you just let them get the grab again. I've accidentally pressed pause before against Smoon in a match when I was attempting to mash out and our solution was just to let him get his grab again.
For a reason i don't feel like explaining i dont agree lol.

Minor explanation - The re-grab kills the momentum they had the first time when they grabbed you.

The SD is a better option.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I think im gonna roll with antis rule for pound 5, ill call it that

"Anti's rule: If you pause mid match, you must forfeit 1 stock to the opponent."

Although we may ask everyone to disable pause altogether, not positive. We'll see

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
So who all is teaming with who in dubs?
Tyrant/Lee
M2k/Ally
Rich brown/Zex
DEHF/atomsk
Inui/random
Havok/Mikehaze
Doom/Big Lou

all i know.

to the pausing convo: i think taking pausing off is the best option. the only drawback about it is scenario: mew2king puts 99 stocks on vs someone or computers'. if it happens, dq him or something. make a rule about not changing the stock count for friendlies before hand.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
I think im gonna roll with antis rule for pound 5, ill call it that

"Anti's rule: If you pause mid match, you must forfeit 1 stock to the opponent."

Although we may ask everyone to disable pause altogether, not positive. We'll see
yayuhzzzzzzzz.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
to the pausing convo: i think taking pausing off is the best option. the only drawback about it is scenario: mew2king puts 99 stocks on vs someone or computers'. if it happens, dq him or something. make a rule about not changing the stock count for friendlies before hand.
This actually happened in Columbus. Had to reset the wii. :(

Coney

Smash Master

also pausing mid-match should be a one-stock forfeit

that's really huge in a single match and might as well be the whole match, except in cases of one player being that much better than the other

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Maybe/Probably? I'd have to evaluate whether he had an actually unavoidable medical condition/problem/was sick.

You really want to compare someone doing everything they can to get to their match on time, then having something unfortunate like being sick happen?

Versus someone who planned poorly, slept in, and didn't do something as simple as making a phone call to a taxi company?

What am I gonna hear next? That in the days of the internet they didn't know the taxi number?
No, I am trying to determine whether the amount of time the match would have been held off is the reasoning for Izumi's possible dq, or whether it was the reasoning for the amount of time.

Was there no way for Izumi's match to be played last?

If a 20 min hold up is too much time, then for no reason should anyone be excused for creating one. Whether it was a medical condition, poor scheduling, w/e, I get it.

If the 20 min holdup could have been excused for one reason or another, given this situation, I'm fairly certain that most people would argue that it should have been. (Given the caliber of the players, the impact on the tournament, and what would be the overall consensus of the community.)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Giving someone a pass due to illness or unforseen/unavoidable circumstances is not comparable to giving someone a pass just because, everyone likes them, or their really good, or they impact the outcome of the tourney.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
If izumi's match was at 2, and it was 1:30 when he approached AZ, and AZ said the hotel was only 10 mins drive time, he could've easily been back for his match at 2pm. Not sure what the logic on that one is.

That's my last thought on that issue, time to focus on doubles.

Lets go inui and atomsk

D

Deleted member

Why are you arguing, they were late because of poor scheduling/not calling a cab and they were DQed from winners. Thats how life is, if you are late you get punished, end of story.
Nick riddle got gayed too, he got 5th at the tournament.
the cheese DQs are ******** though

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If I could have held the matches to a later heat I would have. However, Izumi was already in the 2nd heat of his round (heat 2 of 2). And there was only 1 heat for the 2:30PM winners round. So I couldn't do anything to help in terms of simply swapping them to a later heat or something.

Obviously I don't like seeing such high caliber players getting DQd. However at some point people will have to learn to be plan well and to be early for their tournament matches. I shouldn't have to tell them obvious-life-abilities like calling a taxi can get you places when you don't have a ride, especially when you need to be somewhere in an hour and its only a "10 minute" ride away.

If the 20 min holdup could have been excused for one reason or another
Staying up late the night before, sleeping in, counting on a ride from someone who has his own tournament matches to worry about, and ignoring good advice like getting a taxi would not qualify under...well anyones definition of a good excuse.

---

It's funny, at most tournaments you see the "mages DQ rule" in effect. That gives you substantially less time to get to a match (under 10 minutes) and typically they don't even have a tentative schedule (aka you need to be in the venue at all times otherwise you risk being DQ'd). Then these tournaments run overtime and people blame the ruleset or stalling or camping when the real problem was the TO not DQing people for being late for matches--in accordance with their own rules!

AZ said the hotel was only 10 mins drive time, he could've easily been back for his match at 2pm. Not sure what the logic on that one is.
Actually Izumi at the time said 15 mins IIRC. Some other people told me 10. Its a best case estimate (those are almost always wrong) and doesn't take into account
-getting to the car
-extra traffic
-likely having to wait 5-10 mins for these guys to get their stuff after he gets to the house
-getting back inside the venue/finding parking
-etc
Again, I'm putting "10 minutes" in quotes because its a best case scenario. Have you guys seriously never had your friend tell you he was "10 minutes away" just so you didn't have to hear the reality that they were 20-30 minutes away?

I looked at the reality of the situation and all the extra variables that I guess many people don't take into account, so I told Izumi he should stay so he wouldn't risk getting DQ and that he should tell Ally/ADHD/NL/Atomsk to order a taxi right then (1:30PM). Izumi forwarded this message but they decided to ignore it and instead take the risk that Izumi could play his 2:00PM match, leave the venue, pick them up, and get them back by 2:30PM.

Kole

Smash Lord
No, Cheese is a terrible scumbag. Stop talking like you were here or saw anything. From what I heard from many people, Cheese went into the game vs will attempting to get him to pause because he couldn't win any other way. I'm glad when I fought him in the consolation round I double 2 stocked him using the tag 4WILL. Didn't even shake his hand, just said "Your horrible" and walked away

~Atomsk
mad loss of respect.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
CO how did u lose to Fatal son lol, no offense to Fatal but that's an upset considering your track record v/s Snake. Might wanna start hitting up them locals again.
As surprising as that is, fatal actually is pretty decent at the DDD mu so it doesn't surprise me too much. Does anyone know how the set count went? When I played fatal at orlando it went down to game 3 last stock. Kinda wondering how it went for co atm

OverLade

Smash Hero
As surprising as that is, fatal actually is pretty decent at the DDD mu so it doesn't surprise me too much. Does anyone know how the set count went? When I played fatal at orlando it went down to game 3 last stock. Kinda wondering how it went for co atm
But you're bad and nobody would ever compare you to CO

Get ***** by my Snake moar scrub. :laugh:

Im Jk but get mad

Gea

Smash Master
Look, I'm with Burntsocks on this one. It REALLY sucks when your ride doesn't come through or you get conflicting info or you misjudge time.

But as having been a TO myself, most players REALLY take advantage of the time given to them to get to their matches. Even if the "mages rule" is in effect for tournaments it is really rare to see a time DQ happen to a notable player. This isn't fair to the person they are playing who is there on time, this isn't fair to the non-top players who don't get as much leeway, and this isn't fair to the TOs who have to hold up the bracket.

It sucks hard to be DQ'd, especially after traveling for such a big tournament, but it's just a lesson for next time.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Look, I'm with Burntsocks on this one. It REALLY sucks when your ride doesn't come through or you get conflicting info or you misjudge time.

But as having been a TO myself, most players REALLY take advantage of the time given to them to get to their matches. Even if the "mages rule" is in effect for tournaments it is really rare to see a time DQ happen to a notable player. This isn't fair to the person they are playing who is there on time, this isn't fair to the non-top players who don't get as much leeway, and this isn't fair to the TOs who have to hold up the bracket.

It sucks hard to be DQ'd, especially after traveling for such a big tournament, but it's just a lesson for next time.
end of discussion.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
But you're bad and nobody would ever compare you to CO

Get ***** by my Snake moar scrub. :laugh:

Im Jk but get mad
**** son, so thats how it is? Ok ok I see, I always thought you were chill. Talking that ish I see. Don't worry I'll get you later and win and walk off just to spite you ;) You best be prepared when I've got more than 3 hours of sleep at the next tourney lol

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
why are you guys even discussing it? its in the past. not like atomsk ally adhd and nl will be un dq'd and continue the tourney. its over.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
~ADHD

K so, we were disqualified because MasterDave was told to play his match out when he was to pick us up DESPITE alphazealot knowing he was our ride and that we would be disqualified if he had done so. I'm so glad the disqualifications saved so much time, because the tournament only ended an hour earlier based on the schedule! Alphazealot, big man. Get ***** by East Coast more often, plz.

I spend 233 motha ****ing dollars to get here, and this **** happens. We had constantly been updating our status by phone and that we were fully trying to get there as fast as possible and on the way, despite there being yesterday, a player for no reason warranted whatsoever a delay for the SAME amount of time. I don't get it, I really don't. No reason in the world can convince me that the reasoning was actually justified other than making their ***** feel bigger.

90 players had a free bracket to winners, despite being mediocre. Cheese is SO average, and a dirty as hell player. MLG is FAIL.

Btw, I lost to atomsk. Game 1 I messed up when I shouldn't have, but game 2 was close and he won legit.

Lets be real here its not like AZ physically restrained him from leaving to pick you guys up. He had a match, he told him if he leaves he risks being dq'ed. He CHOOSE to stay and play. Show some personal responsibility and be here on time. And if your not do not blame other people. Take a cab, split a hotel with 6 people so you can walk 20 feet to the venue, rent a car, or do whatever you need to do. But the tournament is not going to be held up for an hour because you guys had ride problems. No professional competitive event in the world gets held up because participants fail to have enough personal responsibility to be there when they are supposed to. And well our MLG tournament was not, and will not be held up for any player. Your an adult, act like one.

And you didnt spend $233, you got a $200 stipend at the door for being a top 16 player, so you spent $33.

I back up AZ 1000%

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Change the subject.

It's getting old and tired.
Agreed, props to M2K for just being a sick individual when it comes to smash and Lee on 2nd.

On a good news note, I think I should have a cool announcement in the near future about thing/s in store for DC soon.

Takeover1806

Smash Champion
Agreed, props to M2K for just being a sick individual when it comes to smash and Lee on 2nd.

On a good news note, I think I should have a cool announcement in the near future about thing/s in store for DC soon.
I cannot wait for DC updates :)

Top Bottom