• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 MLG 2010 Season Feedback and Suggestion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
So 5 events later and a lot of crazy chants, cheering, large checks given out, and all the great moments that come with tournaments and MLG we have officially closed the 2010 season.

Like everything there is always room for improvement. So wanted to give everyone a chance to provide their thoughts. Many you traveled to an event or in the case of some awesome people all the events (Shout-out to Mikehaze, appreciated the opinion thread). So by all means tell us what you liked, what could be better, if we are back on the 2011 season what would make your MLG experience that much more awesome?

Some of my thoughts.

After talking to a lot of players and seeing everything this season the TVs were actually pretty good for LCDs, but they are several years old now and could be better. I would love love to have a stream with some world class commentary (curse you Nintendo, just give us the OK!) and a main stage. The rule-set could probably use some tweaking. And there are some more radical new technology things we could do to inform people about their matches and get them to their stations. Super models to give me a back rub and feed me grapes while I am working at an event (Ok, I consent, last one probably not gonna happen).

Ultimately there are lots of factors that go into many of these decisions and they end up being complex. Be it space, cost, shipping, setup, fire code, power load, legal, other tournaments going on at the MLG and their schedule, etc. But we are always looking to improve where we can and above all else throw great tournaments for the community. So any thoughts in that regard are welcome.

TP

Smash Master
Would going down to 128 entrants from 256 create enough time for pools? If so, I'd strongly recommend making such a switch. With random seeding (except for a small proportion of players who went to multiple events), there were crazy matches that happen way too early. Pools make the bracket smoother and give everybody more games, which makes them enjoy the experience more overall and makes them feel they are getting their money's worth.

Teh Future

Smash Master
replace random seeding with seeding by location. No reason to have people travel across the country to play against people they play with every week. Brawl is not played online. MLG needs to recognize this and scrap wi-fi matches as well.

ruleset should also not include green greens and nofair (although norfair obviously should be out while i think you can still make an argument for GG since not as many people counterpick it)

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Conclude singles on Sunday. It's the main event. It draws the most hype. The best way to end events on the highest possible note would be to save singles for last.

Nike.

Smash Hero
After talking to a lot of players and seeing everything this season the TVs were actually pretty good for LCDs, but they are several years old now and could be better.
Agreed.

I would love love to have a stream with some world class commentary (curse you Nintendo, just give us the OK!) and a main stage.
Agreed.

The rule-set could probably use some tweaking.
Agreed.

And there are some more radical new technology things we could do to inform people about their matches and get them to their stations.
Although it's not exactly needed (AZ was pretty good at announcing matches and referring players to the help station), this would be nice. I kinda see it as a luxury.

It appears as though you guys are already on the ball with the major issues. This only increases my faith in MLG. You guys are amazing <3

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I'm asking to Uplift the banning of Wii Remote controllers.

Or at least make some rules about using them. There have been plenty ideas floating around concerning the Wii remote use. Taking those into consideration is a good idea. Allowing the wii remotes to be played allows more people to participate. Allowing more people to participate makes it easier for MLG events to sell out. And when it sells out, that's more money for MLG! And more competition for us!

Regardless of what you do with the Wii, you HAVE to use a Wii remote in order to play the game. There have been times where the game system had to be restarted and Wii Remote was used.... They even have a Wii station set up for side events at MLG, what's the excuse for that, When I saw that....my Jaw Dropped. So, I really think that would make things much better for the next installments of Brawl next season. Simply taking out your batteries will solve everything and checking them into the main station where the announcers are. Marked specifically so we know who's controller belongs to who. Or maybe charge a $5 fee for using Wireless...something like that... Just throwing out ideas. I hope someone talks to the big dogs about this so I can come to more Events...

MKOwnage

Smash Journeyman
I'm asking to Uplift the banning of Wii Remote controllers.

Or at least make some rules about using them. There have been plenty ideas floating around concerning the Wii remote use. Taking those into consideration is a good idea. Allowing the wii remotes to be played allows more people to participate. Allowing more people to participate makes it easier for MLG events to sell out. And when it sells out, that's more money for MLG! And more competition for us!

Regardless of what you do with the Wii, you HAVE to use a Wii remote in order to play the game. There have been times where the game system had to be restarted and Wii Remote was used.... They even have a Wii station set up for side events at MLG, what's the excuse for that, When I saw that....my Jaw Dropped. So, I really think that would make things much better for the next installments of Brawl next season. Simply taking out your batteries will solve everything and checking them into the main station where the announcers are. Marked specifically so we know who's controller belongs to who. Or maybe charge a $5 fee for using Wireless...something like that... Just throwing out ideas. I hope someone talks to the big dogs about this so I can come to more Events...
I know quite a few good players that wanted to go to MLG but didn't because they were nun chuck users. I don't use the nun chuck but I believe lifting some of the restrictions on the controller side of things could help broaden the amount of competitors.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
If possible announce tournaments date ASAP so we don't have to conflict with other tournaments, use better locations that would attract more people (New york, Cali,etc) I liked mlg tbh no complains except maybe the stage list, take some off it's ridiculious.

And don't tax me no more.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Conclude singles on Sunday. It's the main event. It draws the most hype. The best way to end events on the highest possible note would be to save singles for last.
qft

replace random seeding with seeding by location. No reason to have people travel across the country to play against people they play with every week. Brawl is not played online.
YES YES YES

THIS TIMES INFINITY

ruleset should also not include green greens and nofair (although norfair obviously should be out while i think you can still make an argument for GG since not as many people counterpick it)
I think the opposite; GG is way worse

but both should be gone

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Planking problems are what make Norfair a questionable counterpick. I'd ban it too. Green Green...has a stupidly low roof and bomb shenanigans.

If I had to pick one over the other though, I'd go with Norfair. Unless I'm Fox on Green Greens. Then I can laser some bombs from afar and get fast kills. lolz

[EDIT]

On a personal feedback note? I suppose I can certainly vouche for the use of LCD TVs for the use of Smash Bros.

One of our players here in Alberta, diminisht, has a Plasma screen TV that has zero lag when it comes to input of controls. If high def TVs can still pull it off (clearly my Samsung cannot, HD consoles work fine though), I encourage the movement of LCD/LED/Plasma TVs for the use of competitive Smash at MLG.

Doing research and getting the best quality with no drop of inputs to get even better results next season would be amazing! Sucks that the Wii isn't a HD console in the new day and age, but you guys make it work.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Planking problems are what make Norfair a questionable counterpick.
This is completely untrue. I don't think we saw any character successfully plank on Norfair the whole season. Actually, we barely saw anyone even try because the lava comes up and hits you off the edge!

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Planking isn't the problem with norfair rofl

It's random fire pits that give you no where to go literally trapping you and potentially killing you for nothing you've done wrong. If there was no fire it'd be awesome though

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yea, the whole planking thing is the teh spammerer COT4 myth still rearing its head, even though we never actually saw videos or had any proof of what he did, and all indications were it didn't even involve using the edges. People just love to assume that more edges = more planking.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
water!

also,
It's random fire pits that give you no where to go literally trapping you and potentially killing you for nothing you've done wrong. If there was no fire it'd be awesome though
first of all, the hazard appearing is completely non-random. its on a timer. but the actual hazard that appears is random.

it gives you plenty of warning. and with your logic, we should ban brinstar also because sometimes you have nowhere to go sometimes.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Norfair isn't a problem because of planking, that is a false statement. For me, the problem is the flares-- they are far too random and far too big of an effect on the match. Even Green Greens is far LESS random than Norfair, so that's saying a lot.

Regardless of the fact that both Norfair and GGs are considered borderline by many Smashers, I don't think their presence has a very noticeable effect either way. My personal preference would definitely be to see Norfair banned next season, but again it's not a huge ordeal either way.

Anyway, proper seeding please! Basically what Future said regarding seeding by location (omg he said something useful and didn't troll!?!? <3)

The LCDs weren't even bad at all, people just complained too much about them. They could be better, but the lag that they had was really, really minor. Getting a new LCD with better response time and possibly even a VGA connection would be ideal, but this year's weren't bad at all.

I think the #1 thing though is getting a stream with commentary. That would help SOOOO much.

Overall, MLG was a great experience and I think we can learn a lot from it to make it even BETTER next year :)

edit:

omfg yes I almost forgot. PLEASE give away WATER in addition to the soda and whatnot. Please!

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I'd love to see MLG sponsor some of our communities larger tournaments i.e. Pound V, Genesis II

And work on getting Nintendo to let you stream and commentate on the **** thing. If they don't like what smash has become, they can just sell the ****ed rights to smashboards or something.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
water!

also,

first of all, the hazard appearing is completely non-random. its on a timer. but the actual hazard that appears is random.

it gives you plenty of warning. and with your logic, we should ban brinstar also because sometimes you have nowhere to go sometimes.
You literally proved my point. Except you're just wrong about brinstar, that's completely false. There aren't hazard flares that KO you by no fault of your own. The fire rarely even KO's you.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Yea, the whole planking thing is the teh spammerer COT4 myth still rearing its head, even though we never actually saw videos or had any proof of what he did, and all indications were it didn't even involve using the edges. People just love to assume that more edges = more planking.
lol you haven't played teh_spamerer

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
This MLG was amazing but after a full day of eating and drinking nothing but Doritos and Dr. Pepper you start to feel like a ton of crap. Maybe instead of purchasing it MLG may be able to get a sponsorship. Maybe some healthier snacks as well. Gamers have a stereotype of being sedentary people and the whole Doritos/Dr. Pepper thing only enforced that stereotype.

I agree with the whole PA system thing. I'm actually hard of hearing but I had no problem hearing my own matches and the matches of my friends that I was listening for. At the most a single large screen to display it would be the most and that's not even a necessity

With the whole Wiimote thing I don't think it would be too difficult for refs to regulate it. Have the refs personally sync the wiimotes and have them remove the batteries when the matches were over. Even better only have MLG dispense batteries. The refs would hold them and take them at the conclusion of the match to ensure no mix-ups. Possible Energizer/Duracell sponsorship???

Not sure on MLG or the hotel regulations but bringin your own chair would be nice.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I think the Dallas tournament was amazing. The ONLY things I'd say that could be improved upon would be: Water (I normally really only drink water, so having so much Dr Pepper threw me off, and probably didn't help the acne breakout I coincidentally had RIGHT after MLG :/), more benches. Like there were those few benches facing the big stage next to the Brawl section, more might be nice (although I remember AZ mentioning that there wasn't the space, so maybe nvm. But if it were possible, more seats/benches would definitely be appreciated). And maybe some kind of screen that shows the matchse that are happening. Like a big screen, but shows the four main matches that are happening (like how there were two large TVs on both sides. But it was impossible to keep up with both sides, so I missed some matches that would've been cool to see).

idk I think being able to see the big matches happening on the other side would be nice, but that's more of a random idea of a more luxuryish thing. Water and benches would be preferred more, imo.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Water would be amazing. I appreciate what MLG provides, but after Raleigh, I made it a point to pursue alternative food and beverage options at DC, like at any other tournament.

Some people were annoyed that we couldn't bring outside food and drinks into the venues, but looking at how big of a mess is left behind anyway, this restriction is definitely needed.

There are garbage cans everywhere, people really need to stop being slobs and dispose of their trash properly. The refs are busy enough as is, would be nice if they didn't also have to worry about litter in the playing areas.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
RAGE. I am SO tired of people spouting bogus things about Norfair.

You guys all need to read THIS thread before you are allowed to ever complain about Norfair. The plumes and walls operate on a schedule for god's sake! (Feel free to ignore the Marth-specific parts)

Norfair should stay, man up and learn the stage, it hasn't been proven even REMOTELY broken in practice.

Also, yeah, more accessible Water and Benches, please. And Japes.

I brought a bottle of Mountain dew because I hate Dr. Pepper, but they wouldn't let me bring it in. T_T

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't blame you Raziek, Dr.Pepper tastes like cough syrup. I can't believe people willingly drink the stuff...

Even though I wasn't there: it really sounds like you need a variety of drinks there. Or at least let people bring their own non-alchololic drinks in.

Gnes

Smash Master
All this Spam **** is getting annoying. Spam timed people out, so what? he barely won some sets, I've seen better time outs than him.
This This This Who cares about some ancient mk that played gay?

Norfair isn't too bad once you learn the stage. Now Green Greens...

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
1. Try and get livestream
2. Use smashboards most common stagelist.
3. change the pause rule
4. Try and find t'vs with no lag

Honestly i dont think the seeding is too bad :/

solecalibur

Smash Master
Friendlies , wii remotes, maybe 2 bans with all these jank stages (one starter and one CP?)

Other then something you guys cant control i cant think of anything else

** on the note of lag TV , No one really noticed it until m2k / ally pointed it from what I heard so I bet when someone didn't preform something correctly instead of blaming themselves they blamed the TV as it wasn't that bad (Use a lag HDTV to practice next time smashers?)

TP

Smash Master
Friendlies , wii remotes, maybe 2 bans with all these jank stages (one starter and one CP?)

** on the note of lag TV , No one really noticed it until m2k / ally pointed it from what I heard so I bet when someone didn't preform something correctly instead of blaming themselves they blamed the TV as it wasn't that bad (Use a lag HDTV to practice next time smashers?)
All these jank stages? It's not like PTAD and Luigi's Mansion are on. Norfair and Green Greens aren't THAT bad, and certainly not a big enough issue to warrant an additional ban. As for TVs, if you were there (and used a technical character), you would know it was an issue. I was having major trouble with choke followups as Ganon, and another Ganon confirmed with me that the TVs were screwing up his followups too. Also, you could just feel the pain of every ICs player there.

Note that the TVs weren't that bad, and I'd be fine with them being used again, but to say that people were just blaming the lag for their own mistakes is wrong.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace

The lag wasn't that bad. i did notice a small bit of lag but because they let us have free play before we actually play our tournament matches, it's pretty easy to adjust.

I wouldn't make too much of an issue with the TVs since its pretty hard to track down 20 perfectly good CRTs in this day and age.

solecalibur

Smash Master
All these jank stages? It's not like PTAD and Luigi's Mansion are on. Norfair and Green Greens aren't THAT bad, and certainly not a big enough issue to warrant an additional ban. As for TVs, if you were there (and used a technical character), you would know it was an issue. I was having major trouble with choke followups as Ganon, and another Ganon confirmed with me that the TVs were screwing up his followups too. Also, you could just feel the pain of every ICs player there.

Note that the TVs weren't that bad, and I'd be fine with them being used again, but to say that people were just blaming the lag for their own mistakes is wrong.
Arn't that bad still means bannable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2awuCWxgdJM
Skip to 3:00 is more then a reason for pictochat

Greengreens isn't that bad when you get hit by a falling bomb (of course you can air dodge past everytime you pass through the blocks but air dodge into your opponent? lol) , there is no reason to approach with the blocks in place , low ceiling and CG zone that breaks over time is ok but im really not going in depth with this.

Norfair causes quiet a bit of game changing but so does RC so no real complaints other then the flares trapping you, which can be game changing (Of course you can see them but what if your already shielding flares from a previous wave?)

MLG was run very well and Im complaining about something that I can't change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom