• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK Banned! Will the world be ruled by Robots?

Bees!

Smash Ace
Now this is all merely speculation and doesn't really have to be based on evidence, but in light of the recent news I would like to see what my fellow Brobots and fembots think of this news and how will it effect ROB? Just kind of a floor for discussion on predictions of the new metagame and how if at all we should change our approach to the metagame now that MK will not be a part of it in the future. I hope the moderators will find this appropriate. If not then I am dumb and go ahead and lock this thread down.

But anyways. What say you?

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
I don't think ROB will move up, if at all honestly.
There will be a large influx of other high tier use, namely DeDeDe, Snake, and others.

ROB does not fare well against the aforementioned characters. He will not change.

Bees!

Smash Ace
good prediction however I would say that in terms of MUs those are much less severe than that of MK. But again now that MK isn't there to stop all ROBs it will be interesting to see how those characters do. Also D3 mains are few and the only one that pose great threats would CO-18(don't know if he plays), Coney(pretty sure he quit) and probably Atomsk(Who is a super smart player regardless of who he uses) I know snake will be an issue but with MK out of the way ROB mains can now pour all of the efforts into learning other MUS and thus advancing their metagame, finding new tactics, ect. But again, it will be interesting to see how or if those bad MUS change in time.

8Bitman

Smash Master
Ehh, I think nothing of it. I never wanted him banned to begin with.

It feels like they're taking the game away. =(

R.O.B will maybe move up a little bit but I doubt it. Even though the MU is hard for R.O.B many of the high tiers still **** R.O.B. If R.O.B goes up it will only be by a few spots just putting him further up on the Mid tier list.

R.O.B IS good but none of us can really show his true potential we all have our flaws. Then again the same goes for many other characters. I guess what I am trying to say is that R.O.B's metagame won't be affected much. Just one less HARD MU for us to care about.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
We need M2K to switch to R.O.B. Or Ally.
[jk]

Since R.O.B.'s previously second largest issue is now going to be his first (as well as most other characters') I don't think R.O.B. will move up very much, if at all. Unless we somehow come up with an AT that makes R.O.B. 10 times better.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I think ROB usage will go up, but he won't necessarily move up. It's hard to tell until the metagame plays out a little more.

Also Ally played ROB for a bit, he was pretty good.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I think ROB usage will go up, but he won't necessarily move up. It's hard to tell until the metagame plays out a little more.

Also Ally played ROB for a bit, he was pretty good.
Yes but people like MisterEric, myself and Chibo poured tons of time into the MU with MK. Now quite honestly ROB vs MK is one of the most fun MUs for me to play. My opinion for him being banned has less to do with me than the community. I digress
With ROB mains putting most of their time and effort into the MK MU. (Considering you are way more likely to encounter MKs than you are D3, Falco, Snake or Oli(probably combined) My point is now ROBs can put time into other MUs and quite possibly we may start to see new strategies evolve from it. Who knows? Maybe even good use for some ATs that are usually overlooked. That being said I think there may be a chance for ROB to get better. A chance mind you but if the Metagame changes then we may change with it.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Well for my ROB, I spent more time focusing on other MUs besides MK. I just used Peach for MK, because it was much less frustrating. I think my ROB is pretty well trained against Snake, Marth, Falco, Wario, and a few others, so hopefully I'll start moving up the ranks with no MKs in my path. :)

And I want ROB to move up, don't get me wrong, I just can't see him moving much right now until we actually see some good ROB placings in the new metagame.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
If DDD Olimar and Falco rule the new metagame, ROB will stay the same (or drop?). If Diddy ICs and Marth rule the new metagame, ROB will rise.

imo

Bees!

Smash Ace
Ya personally I have spent the last 2 years fighting MKs and Snakes. I know the Snake MU rather well but prefer to go Kirby in it usually(Even though I know it better with ROB lulz). But I may start using ROB in that MU. Also Oli is tough for ROB but not as tough as some are thinking. Also I think(just a theory) that if we learn to tech a lot more and ps like a pro then the Flaco MU will be a lot easier.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ROB absolutely decimates Diddy off stage
On stage ROB can use bananas basically as good as Diddy can if he can get a hold of his bananas
Throwing gyros into the mix incredibly messes up Diddy's banana game
It's hard for Diddy to kill ROB, and a little easier for ROB to kill Diddy
I still don't think people realize that bananas are just an item and catching them is like... fairly easy.

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
^^^^what that dude said but seriously, i think Rob will move up some... not a huge jump. and i personally love the snake matchup. idk why, but i find it fun, and think he's fairly easy to deal with.

8Bitman

Smash Master
^^^^what that dude said but seriously, i think Rob will move up some... not a huge jump. and i personally love the snake matchup. idk why, but i find it fun, and think he's fairly easy to deal with.
How many good snakes have you played. I love any MU if the person using them sucks... If the Snake is good I want to shoot myself, the MU is so annoying.

idc who is on the roster, i'm gonna ****

:phone:
^^^ This ^^^

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"
Mr. Eric with that Rise of Robots mindset. Lets take over all of the tourneys we go to.

Also, I don't think snake is that bad either. I've beaten HRnut in friendlies and in doubles with Ryo. And whenever Ryo plays Snake for us to get MU practice I do well.

I guess I just need to get on that item mechanics practice.
Can someone link me to something that works as an item use (bananas) tutorial?

8Bitman

Smash Master
I guess it's just cuz I played ******** Snakes like MVD, and my brothers. THE BETTER ONES! *Went there*

XD

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
In all fairness, R.O.B. was a top tier threat in the beginning, and I'll hazard a guess he dropped down more and more drastically because of Meta Knight. Yeah, there are other factors as well, but I'm pretty sure MK was the biggest reason for R.O.B.'s lowered tier placement.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Considering many of the top ROB mains quit because of MK as well...I could see why he fell so fast. Look at Kirby ever since Chu quit lol

Bees!

Smash Ace
that too. but again things may change. It is interesting to see what theories people have about those changes.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
And also his "camping" game LuLz.

But seriously, I don't see how R.O.B. could rise, even if Meta Knight's banned. Sure, he's finally out of the way (thankfully), but then we have to deal with Snake, Falco, King Dedede, Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, Mr. Game & Watch and Toon Link (and maybe Fox, but definitely not Olimar) - MUs which suck for us R.O.B. mainers.

The one who's going to rise - if anybody - is Pit. Think about it: He has better MUs than R.O.B., and since Meta Knight's removed, he has a better chance rising IMO aka not as many obstacles as R.O.B.. That means R.O.B.'s going to drop because Pit's going to rise (sorry to being so pessimistic, but it's the truth so what to do?).

I'm still loving him though. ([OO]

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
He fell so much because ROBs didnt want to think outside the box.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
He fell so much because ROBs didnt want to think outside the box.

^ This. It seems most R.O.B. players spent more time with MK than with their other bad match-ups, I'd hazard a guess that they didn't take the time to study or practice the other bad match-ups as much as they did with the MU against Meta Knight. With MK gone, we can now shift our focus to other problem MUs and try to find ways to overcome them, if possible.

Bees!

Smash Ace
And also his "camping" game LuLz.

But seriously, I don't see how R.O.B. could rise, even if Meta Knight's banned. Sure, he's finally out of the way (thankfully), but then we have to deal with Snake, Falco, King Dedede, Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, Mr. Game & Watch and Toon Link (and maybe Fox, but definitely not Olimar) - MUs which suck for us R.O.B. mainers.

The one who's going to rise - if anybody - is Pit. Think about it: He has better MUs than R.O.B., and since Meta Knight's removed, he has a better chance rising IMO aka not as many obstacles as R.O.B.. That means R.O.B.'s going to drop because Pit's going to rise (sorry to being so pessimistic, but it's the truth so what to do?).

I'm still loving him though. ([OO]
I really don't have issues with Tink, Lucario or Mr Game and Linear(kidding). I think ROB has the tools to keep out both Lucario and Mr Game and Watch. Also ROB can camp smart vs Tink.
Speaking of which have any of you tried instant throwing bombs oos? I noticed that bombs usually bounce up off of shields. Like bananas. Like SH instant throwing them back at Tink to get the pressure off of you and on to him? Obviously this wouldn't be too practical against Tink in closer quarters but I wonder how it will work otherwise? Also for that matter Diddy's bananas. I played Dekar in Losers Finals at the last oos tourney I went to. While I don't know much about Diddy. Using some of Diddy's tactics helped me fair much better than the past times I played Dekar. He still beat me but it wasn't like the previous times I played him when he ***** my face off. I wonder in the hands of other ROB mains what they might be able to do with it.

Drake12

Smash Ace
Look at Rob's MU's compared to other characters. The harder MU's he has is DDD, ZSS, TL and fox.
Compare that to someone as high as GW. GW has got some harder MU's like snake, marth, IC's and Pika.

ROB is a potent opponent against many many hight tiers. MK had a bigger influence on him and his placing then almost the whole cast IMO. No character above him has a -3.
Get rid of his terribad MU, and look at how decent he is against other high tiers and I think he will rise at least 4 spots.

8Bitman

Smash Master
I agree with you Drake, but honestly those are the types of characters that people are going to switch too after dropping MK because of the ban.

Just saying, plus we won't know how things will turn out until a few months after the ban. So until then, continue the MK metagame. ^_^

Drake12

Smash Ace
You believe that lots of people will switch toDDD, ZSS, TL and fox??
Whys that? I think it would raise popularity with all the high tiers like maybe falco's warios, marths snakes etc.
If they're isn't that many DDD, ZSS, TL and fox's then why would they be the type of characters that people would switch to now?

Not trying to argue, just understand :p

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I still think that our only real threats are DDD and ZSS. DDD I can see rising, but ZSS not so much. I might be looking into picking up someone just for DDD.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I use Kirby vs D3 normally. Except for D3/ICs mains. I just suck it up and play ROB then. I would rather fight D3 with ROB than ICs with Kirby. >_<

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Falco would be great to pick up for the two but I'm really not into spacies. Might just try to specialize in those two mus with Pikachu.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Falco would be great to pick up for the two but I'm really not into spacies. Might just try to specialize in those two mus with Pikachu.
I like Kirby because he is simple, relies heavily on spacing(which I love) and doesn't over shadow ROB in anyway. They are both the same in terms of ability imo. Just different types of ability. Also kind of inspiried by Kira Flax in that regard. He mains 2 mid tier characters and is awesome.

Spin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
spinpai
i mean, ive played Infern, and a few other good ones from the midwest. i dontusually win against them, i just think its a fun matchup

T0MMY

Smash Master
The Meta Knight ban didn't really help R.O.B., unfortunately he has a lot of bad matchups and without MK there those characters we usually don't see come out in droves. In a way R.O.B. has a more difficult time because there are more Falcos, Dededes, etc.

T0MMY

Smash Master
When did you ever think Falco was a hard counter?
I personally hate that matchup, but there's always Pikachu's chaingrab to use instead of R.O.B. ;^D

Top Bottom