• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mississippi Smash University - Check post 881

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
its not just that its that pounds ruleset is the standard in the US. No one has complained and looking at the thread its just a loud minority. I know armada is coming to this and I respect the EU community but unless the MBR says otherwise I am pretty firm on the ruleset staying the same.

Composeur

Smash Ace
I definitely agree with all bracket matches being bo5 rather than bo3. GFs, at least, should be bo7 because it's like the final boss...I mean, come on...

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
I don't care about bracket matches being bo5 (it would be nice, though I don't suspect I'll make brackets :bee:), but I wish Alex would reconsider letting MSU remove jank stages :\

Winnar

Smash Lord
All matches except winner's finals, loser's semi-finals, loser's finals, and grand finals will be best of 3. The aforementioned finals will be best of 5. I can't change this because we just don't have enough time.

As for the counterpick stages, there actually HAS been some debate on this in the US. A few months ago Hax posted this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=292049

The thread's title is Ban Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise, and it's basically just a bunch of top players (except wobbles) agreeing that we should go to the European stage set. Wobbles joins in after a while and more or less spearheads the anti-banning argument, but for the first several pages it's a lot of really good players saying that they'd support the ban.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Oh ****...I knew about Genesis 2, but I didn't know you guys were trying to get them for MSU, and Apex 2012. GOOD ****.
This is a very recent development, but yeah I'm really excited about it!

Also, yay Reflex :D Bring Georgia Brawlers!

Winnar

Smash Lord
Okay so VUE and I have been talking, we're not getting a lot of interest in 64. We both REALLY want to run this event, but we have to start getting some more interest! Tell all your 64 friends about this, please! :D

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Okay so VUE and I have been talking, we're not getting a lot of interest in 64. We both REALLY want to run this event, but we have to start getting some more interest! Tell all your 64 friends about this, please! :D
Can you research what is the best airport to fly in for international players? What airport is Armada flying in?

I would enter N64.
Me too, except I'm not officially 100% confirmed.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
I would enter N64.
That's good to hear :D We need to know who's actually gonna play N64. It would be nice to get at least 16 people playing. I would love to do the event we just have to make sure it's a good, unbiased decision.

Can you research what is the best airport to fly in for international players? What airport is Armada flying in?

Me too, except I'm not officially 100% confirmed.
Memphis airport is probably the best airport for international players. I've flown internationally from there plenty of times.

N-Gage

Smash Apprentice
You HAVE to fly into MEM if u want 1) the airtran discount and 2)shuttle service from MEM (memphis) to MSU

Edit: Also, the reason for the Best of 3 is because we are doing this on campus in our main event center (the union) policy is that we can only enter a 7am and must exit the building by 10pm. This keeps security nice and tight and I think yall would like that. The rooms we have will have be armed with security systems so no one stuff is not going anywhere (in addition to our security we will have on foot at the event)

edit: new avatar. MARIO IS A PIMP

Composeur

Smash Ace
Any more news on which hype melee players (i.e. PP and Hbox) confirmed for the event? I don't know how long it's been since the info's been updated. Just curious ^^

Winnar

Smash Lord
That's good to hear :D We need to know who's actually gonna play N64. It would be nice to get at least 16 people playing. I would love to do the event we just have to make sure it's a good, unbiased decision.

Memphis airport is probably the best airport for international players. I've flown internationally from there plenty of times.
If over 200 people come to this and only 16 people are registered for N64 I guarantee you I won't be running that event.

I guess it's your call because it's technically your event and your $500, but that would be the equivalent of the amount of people who entered the 64 tournament at the VUE.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: We can do much better than 16 entrants, people just need to start spreading the word about 64. I mean iirc, Isai said he was interested. Should be automatic hype, I think?

Also yeah Memphis, TN is the place to fly into, international or not.

Also also I'm pretty sure the list in the OP is up to date. At least, it's up to date for people who have contacted me personally or posted in this thread.

Mew2king contacted me via aim a few weeks ago asking some questions about MSU, so I'm going to assume that means he's interested.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
If over 200 people come to this and only 16 people are registered for N64 I guarantee you I won't be running that event.

I guess it's your call because it's technically your event and your $500, but that would be the equivalent of the amount of people who entered the 64 tournament at the VUE.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: We can do much better than 16 entrants, people just need to start spreading the word about 64. I mean iirc, Isai said he was interested. Should be automatic hype, I think?
We can definitely do better than that, and I would like to not use the $500 if only 16 people showed up. My argument is that if the top 16 people showed up and no one else I'd still do it, but 16 nobodies will not do. So we need some 64 HYPE! :bee:

Blaise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1078-3265
I'll enter 64. As far as I know I'm Louisiana's only serious smash 64 player though.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
I'm starting to think having MSU on 8-19-11 is a bad idea or rather having BEAST 2 on 8-11 is a bad idea because it is two big back to back tournaments. Well since BEAST 2 was just announced yesterday, it is not Ryan's or Justin's fault obviously. I'm just pointing this out. Anyways where are the pictures?

Winnar

Smash Lord
I'm starting to think having MSU on 8-19-11 is a bad idea or rather having BEAST 2 on 8-11 is a bad idea because it is two big back to back tournaments. Well since BEAST 2 was just announced yesterday, it is not Ryan's or Justin's fault obviously. I'm just pointing this out. Anyways where are the pictures?
Pics are in Justin's first post in the thread

I guess I need to talk to BEAST 2 dudes.

Um wait that's a swedish tournament, what's the problem?

Winnar

Smash Lord
Once again, it's in Sweden. There is literally an ocean between us. We're on different continents.

What is the problem?

BunBun

Smash Master
There is no problem. It would slightly limit some Europe from coming over here, but since Armada is being paid for, it shouldn't affect him at all.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
If I some how get my hand on a lot of money I'll definitely fly down to this

Armada

Smash Lord
Why would Beast affect me?

I will attend both.
We already talked about flying from England cause SNY2 maybe happen afterall.

Im lookeing forward to this tournament =).

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Pics are in Justin's first post in the thread

I guess I need to talk to BEAST 2 dudes.

Um wait that's a swedish tournament, what's the problem?
Once again, it's in Sweden. There is literally an ocean between us. We're on different continents.

What is the problem?
There is no problem. It would slightly limit some Europe from coming over here, but since Armada is being paid for, it shouldn't affect him at all.
Why would Beast affect me?

I will attend both.
We already talked about flying from England cause SNY2 maybe happen afterall.

Im lookeing forward to this tournament =).
I was under the impression that Armada would like to come to the USA like 2 weeks in advance of the tournament to travel around the USA and relax and explore but I guess nevermind then. :)

Winnar

Smash Lord
I was under the impression that Armada would like to come to the USA like 2 weeks in advance of the tournament to travel around the USA and relax and explore but I guess nevermind then. :)
Hehe yeah then that would have been a problem, but nope! He's just here for smash O:

And your money

Armada

Smash Lord
BunBun: i have a bit lucky when it comes to attend tournaments.

metalreflectslime: I will stay in US 2 weeks before Genesis so i will visit a lot of places =).

Top Bottom