• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Missing stages from previous smash titles on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRedKnightMC

Smash Cadet
Super Smash Bros. 64:

• Planet Zebes
  • Sector Z

Super Smash Bros. Melee:

• Icicle Mountain
  • Mushroom Kingdom
  • Mute City
  • Poke' Floats
  • Flat Zone (Ultimate has Flat Zone X)

Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

• Rumble Falls
  • Flat Zone 2 (Ultimate has Flat Zone X)
  • Pictochat

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS:

• Pac-Maze
  • Rainbow Road

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U:

• Jungle Hiijinxs
  • Woolly World
  • Pyrosphere
  • Orbital Gate Assault
  • Miiverse

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Sector Z and Planet Zebes are fairly large stages that are outdone in their layout/gimmick by Corneria and Brinstar respectively. Love these stages to death as someone who grew up with 64, and it would've been awesome to have every 64 stage in the game for the first time since the original, but they're ultimately redundant and it's fine that they're not here.

Icicle Mountain, Orbital Gate Assault, and Rumble Falls are auto-scrollers that aren't all that fun, honestly. They cross the line of bringing the attention to fighting the stage more than your opponent, and that's probably why they were cut.

Flat Zone and Flat Zone 2 were combined into Flat Zone X as you said, so they're both technically present anyway.

Mute City and Pictochats both have outright replacements in Port Town Aero Dive and Pictochat 2; again, they'd be redundant.

No joke, I had to look up Mushroom Kingdom's layout because I couldn't remember what it was. And it's really similar to the 64 stage of the same name, which is probably why it's not here.

I think Pac-Maze had some functionality with the pellets thing that might not have played well outside of the 3DS set-up. There's still Pac-land, so it's not as if Pac-Man lacks a stage, but I honestly would've preferred it over Pac-Land.

Jungle Hijinx, Pyrosphere, Woolly World, and Miiverse all have something that clash with elements present in Ultimate and their own design. Jungle Hijinx has that weird background thing that wouldn't play ball with Stage Morphing, Pyrosphere prominently features Ridley as a giant boss and was likely removed to not confuse the layman. Miiverse's primary functionality as a display area for Miiverse posts is now moot because the service has been shut down, and Woolly World is... actually, I don't know. I was thinking the Stage Morph thing might not have played well, but then Castle Siege is in the game, so I don't know.

Poke Floats is based on old designs and proportions and consisted of models ripped straight from Pokemon Stadium and the like. Normally this isn't an issue, as the stage could be remade with new assets, but I'm not sure there would be a way to completely re-create the stage with the newer designs, and the Pokemon Company probably has enough of a say on how their property is portrayed that Poke Floats would have to change too many of its own elements for it to retain its exact layout. If this stage would return, it would have to be a successor based on the updated designs and larger Pokedex.

Rainbow Road would look great in HD and probably the only one I'm sad isn't in the game. There's nothing that's preventing its inclusion redundancy-wise or design-wise, except that it's unmistakably based on the Mario Kart 7 Rainbow Road and they'd likely want Rainbow Road to prominently feature 8's version instead.

Miikon

Smash Cadet
There are 6 stages I could see return, the rest are too limited by Ultimates mechanics or too similar to existing stages to be included.
Pictochat - is similar to its 2 counterpart, but like the two pokemon stages, there is a lot of different hazards/layouts between them, but maybe some of its drawings have been put into 2. making it redundant. Lets see.
Orbital Star Gate & Rainbow Road - both may be too much work, compared to how loved they are. But could come back. Orbital Star Gate may have some bugs with stage morphing or could have that, and they dont want to try and rebuild it compared to the risk.
Pyrosphere & Pac-Maze - remove the problem, and let us keep what is left. both stages would still be great without Boss-Ridley and Ghost/Pellet-gimmick.
Woolly World - why was this cut? is the transformation really that complicated, that it cant work with stage morphing?

I hope we see at least Woolly World come back as DLC, but the chances are small.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think it will at this point. We're gonna be getting 5 new stages for DLC from how Sakurai explained the DLC pack
They can release DLC stages separately. Smash 4 had a bunch of stages released independently of new fighters, which included quite a few returning stages as well as the Mario Maker stage.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
They can release DLC stages separately. Smash 4 had a bunch of stages released independently of new fighters, which included quite a few returning stages as well as the Mario Maker stage.
And? What happens if it's just 5 new stages?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And? What happens if it's just 5 new stages?
There's most likely going to be DLC content outside the Fighter Pass, especially considering that Nintendo themselves had a hand in choosing the DLC characters. The only way I think that there's not going to be any more DLC than this is if Ultimate flops.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I would argue Zebes isn't redundant due to the different layout.

In any case, I'd be up for almost all to return except maybe the Flat Zones since X does that well enough.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
There's most likely going to be DLC content outside the Fighter Pass, especially considering that Nintendo themselves had a hand in choosing the DLC characters. The only way I think that there's not going to be any more DLC than this is if Ultimate flops.
Again, how would you know if they're gonna unleash more DLC stages? The rumor of the 103 in the base roster plus 5 DLC seems pretty true and I don't see why we need anymore old stages to return even though there are some I'd like to see return

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Again, how would you know if they're gonna unleash more DLC stages? The rumor of the 103 in the base roster plus 5 DLC seems pretty true and I don't see why we need anymore old stages to return even though there are some I'd like to see return
Because they need to sell more DLC and I don't think that they would have just fighters and Mii Fighter costumes available after they released the five characters on the fighter pass.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
The 50-Fact Extravaganza for Smash 4 had confirmed DLC was happening with the announcement of Mewtwo being in development. No other plans had been laid out at that point, but it became clear after launch they already knew what they were going to do. Mii Costumes, more characters, other stages, etc.

Assuming Piranha Plant and the Fighters Pass are the only DLC content we'll see for the game would be a huge mistake. Even the Wii U with its much smaller install base sold plenty of Smash Wii U copies and made lots of money from their DLC output, and the 3DS probably sold even more of each. Ultimate will absolutely have more DLC than what we've seen so far.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Rainbow Road is the only stage here that really needs to return...honestly so much perfection and uniqueness from that Mario Kart stage

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The 50-Fact Extravaganza for Smash 4 had confirmed DLC was happening with the announcement of Mewtwo being in development. No other plans had been laid out at that point, but it became clear after launch they already knew what they were going to do. Mii Costumes, more characters, other stages, etc.

Assuming Piranha Plant and the Fighters Pass are the only DLC content we'll see for the game would be a huge mistake. Even the Wii U with its much smaller install base sold plenty of Smash Wii U copies and made lots of money from their DLC output, and the 3DS probably sold even more of each. Ultimate will absolutely have more DLC than what we've seen so far.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that there's gonna be more DLC to come.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think that it will be characters, stages, Mii Fighter costumes, and much more.
Characters I agree with, but we don't know if Sakurai is going to make a second pass. He could just give these guys a go then take a break for a year or so before going to make the second DLC pack. The Switch is going to be out for a long while, and I think it's a good thing for Sakurai to take a break before returning to something like Smash

Stages, like I said above, are iffy. It depends on what type of stages we're gonna get. If it's returning stages, I'm down but I'd like to know what we're gonna get too. New stages are needed with the amount of new stages in Ultimate being fewer than ever

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah. I'm pretty sure that there's gonna be more DLC to come.
But the question is what? Just stages and alt attires alone isn't gonna do much
I think that it will be characters, stages, Mii Fighter costumes, and much more.
Characters I agree with, but we don't know if Sakurai is going to make a second pass. He could just give these guys a go then take a break for a year or so before going to make the second DLC pack. The Switch is going to be out for a long while, and I think it's a good thing for Sakurai to take a break before returning to something like Smash

Stages, like I said above, are iffy. It depends on what type of stages we're gonna get. If it's returning stages, I'm down but I'd like to know what we're gonna get too. New stages are needed with the amount of new stages in Ultimate being fewer than ever
They could just release stages, songs, and costumes on their own like with Smash 4 (Mario Maker, Dream Land/Mushroom Kingdom/Hyrule Castle 64, Pirate Ship,...Miiverse...)

Khao

Smash Lord
I'd legit pay extra to have Sector Z in the game. I was massively dissapointed by Corneria since the first time I ever played it back on Melee, and I'm honestly always somewhat annoyed to see it return while Sector Z stays ignored.

Corneria just feels freaking tiny. The layout just doesn't work at that size. Gameplay-wise I find it to be awkward as ****. The stage is just a tiny slope, and there's a small wall to the right that just gets in the way more than anything. And thematically... It just doesn't feel like the Great Fox, you know?

Sector Z, though. You basically get solid flat ground from the middle to the right to the stage. There's space to actually have a regular freaking battle. The slope just feels like an entirely different area. You're probably going to survive longer there because you're so far away from the edges. And then there's the right-most area which is unlike any other freaking stage in the game. The size just changes everything. It's not the best stage for a 1-1 match, because then it'll just take forever. But for a free-for-all battle, especially now that we have 8 players? It's the freaking best. And, of course, the thing just freaking feels like the Great Fox. It's supposed to be Star Fox's headquarters. It's where they freaking store their ships. Logically, the thing should be even larger yet, but in Sector Z, I can buy that. It does give the illusion that the ship could do that. But damn, to see what they did to it in Corneria is just such a letdown. At least the background is pretty, I guess. But the stage itself just feels annoying to play and just looks like a sad imitation. The fact that even Venom is coming back just makes it worse.

I think that's the only stage I'm really gonna miss. I guess Poké Floats is also a stupid-unique stage unlike anything in every other game, but ultimately I never played it. I think the rest of the missing stages are either of forgettable or have a decent replacement.

EDIT:

Also, on the subject on extra DLC for stages.

How do you think people will react if they buy the fighters pass for $25, and then it turns out that the pass was not in fact access to all the paid DLC to come?

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
DLC Pack 1: Kamek, Wooly World, Yoshi's Crafted World soundtrack

DLC Pack 2: Dixie Kong, Jungle Hijinx (with the foreground/background removed and covered in ice), Tropical Freeze soundtrack

DLC Pack 3: Captain Toad/Toadette, Rainbow Road, Mario Kart 8 soundtrack

DLC Pack 4: Slippy Toad, Orbital Gate Assault, Star Fox Zero soundtrack

DLC Pack 5: Gen 8 Pokemon, PokeFloats, Gen 8/Let's Go music.

StormC

Smash Hero
Rainbow Road and Woolly World feel like the biggest missing stages to me.

Jungle Hijinx would be nice just to have the only modern-era DK stage back, buuuuuuut I can live without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom