• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Missing Piece

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
So, I started playing competitively back in October of last year and since then I've been reading the forums of this website, MIOM, and watching streams/videos. I've learned all the techniques and tricks Marth has(still don't have them perfect, but I can do them all). I don't know every single matchup perfect either, but I've how to approach each opponent but it's never as easy what I read. I also have been to about 6 local tournaments and have done poorly which is expected, but I have improved over the months.

The thing that's bothering me though, is with all the videos I've watched, all the threads I've read, and all the guides I've studied, I still feel like something is missing. I feel like I can't put it all together consistently. I play against KFC about once a week starting recently, and I know he's amazing but with all the times I play him I don't feel like I'm getting any closer to actually being a challenge for him. Often times he beats me using one move and trolling me lol.

I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing or does it really just takes months/years of playing to get better? It's frustrating at times when i feel like I'm not improving. How do you know if you're improving besides tourney placings or beating people you have lost to before? I just need some guidance.

This is the only footage I have of myself playing. My game starts at 5:43:42
http://www.twitch.tv/dead_on_tutorial/b/521326467

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I can't watch your matches to really comment on your skill level but I can give you general advice.

It does take time to really improve (especially going from a friendly level to tournament level). It's based on the people you play but taking 4-6 months playing good players to really notice improvement would be a good estimate, and this is after you get solid tech skill fundamentals and can focus on movement/strategy/combos over technical execution.

Your best methods of noticing improvement are what you mentioned, improving your tourney placements and recognizing when you beat players you typically lose to. KFC is a really good player so being able to judge your skill level off playing him would be rather difficult, because even if he points out any common faults you have, you need to realize he already knows multiple ways to deal with whatever you figure out to solve that common issue. KFC is simply very very experienced so even when you improve certain aspects of your game it won't look like that much improvement vs him.

What I do recommend doing to be able to help improve your game regardless is MOVEMENT. Basically, just try to weave in and out of attack range and wavedash/waveland around the stage making it really hard for them to hit you. If you can make players whiff and get frustrated trying to hit you, while being only a few millimeters away from their hitboxes, then you know your understanding of spacing is getting solid. It also makes you calmer under pressure. When I first started playing good players just making it so they couldn't instantly kill me was an accomplishment heh.

djmath

Smash Apprentice
From watching your matches, I would say your biggest mistake is overcommitting / overreaching. Your movement is really awesome until you try to approach. You play marth very aggressively, the first game was fun to watch, but this style hurts you in game 2 as much as it helped you in game 1. Marth isn't falco, you spend a lot of time too close to your opponent and you get punished for it. Spacing is key with marth, even though you won both matches you could have won game two much easier by staying out of Peach's face more. You were so close I swear I thought you were going to start pillaring. Listen to Arc and whatever anyone else has to say. You're not a bad marth, and you could be really dope if you keep playing. Don't get discouraged by losing, just keep at it.

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
I can't watch your matches to really comment on your skill level but I can give you general advice.

It does take time to really improve (especially going from a friendly level to tournament level). It's based on the people you play but taking 4-6 months playing good players to really notice improvement would be a good estimate, and this is after you get solid tech skill fundamentals and can focus on movement/strategy/combos over technical execution.

Your best methods of noticing improvement are what you mentioned, improving your tourney placements and recognizing when you beat players you typically lose to. KFC is a really good player so being able to judge your skill level off playing him would be rather difficult, because even if he points out any common faults you have, you need to realize he already knows multiple ways to deal with whatever you figure out to solve that common issue. KFC is simply very very experienced so even when you improve certain aspects of your game it won't look like that much improvement vs him.

What I do recommend doing to be able to help improve your game regardless is MOVEMENT. Basically, just try to weave in and out of attack range and wavedash/waveland around the stage making it really hard for them to hit you. If you can make players whiff and get frustrated trying to hit you, while being only a few millimeters away from their hitboxes, then you know your understanding of spacing is getting solid. It also makes you calmer under pressure. When I first started playing good players just making it so they couldn't instantly kill me was an accomplishment heh.
Thank you for the advice. That definitely makes sense about KFC, I probably shouldn't expect to get close to beating him anytime soon lol. but I definitely will try working on my movement more. I honestly am reaching for Dr PeePee level movement(his is so sexy lol) I know mine isnt really crisp atm but I will work on it a lot from now on.

From watching your matches, I would say your biggest mistake is overcommitting / overreaching. Your movement is really awesome until you try to approach. You play marth very aggressively, the first game was fun to watch, but this style hurts you in game 2 as much as it helped you in game 1. Marth isn't falco, you spend a lot of time too close to your opponent and you get punished for it. Spacing is key with marth, even though you won both matches you could have won game two much easier by staying out of Peach's face more. You were so close I swear I thought you were going to start pillaring. Listen to Arc and whatever anyone else has to say. You're not a bad marth, and you could be really dope if you keep playing. Don't get discouraged by losing, just keep at it.
Thank you for the compliments and advice. I didn't actually think I was that aggressive but after watching it again I guess I am a lot more than i thought. I'm actually not sure if that's a good thing or not. Cactuar has said that Marths should be aggressive, and other people have said Marth should be patient. Idk who is right, or if neither of them are right. I will try to keep my head up though. I know I can get better I'm just very impatient lol.

djmath

Smash Apprentice
[quote="Cactuar has said that Marths should be aggressive, and other people have said Marth should be patient. Idk who is right, or if neither of them are right. I will try to keep my head up though. I know I can get better I'm just very impatient lol.[/quote]

Honestly, the amount of aggression you need depends on who you're playing, how they play, and the momentum of the match. As marth, you need to control the pace of the match; if that means going in when you have a combo, go for it, if that means hang back and wait/bait out punishable approaches and mistakes from your opponent, do it. There's some really solid info here on everything marth https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Daf_Dqod1HoMj7L26ITeUM-xKUKhfxh2vJLWOl2N0C8/edit and be sure to keep playing and keep learning

Top Bottom