• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Missing Modes

Lucas Storey

Smash Cadet
So far Coin, Events, Home-run contest, Break The Targets and Stage Builder and more are gone! do you miss them?

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Literally never played coins in Sm4sh.

Events were pretty much replaced by Spirits, and they're honestly an improvement.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Home-Run, don't think I'm gonna miss it.

Break the Targets though? Was definitely one of the things I wanted to see return the most in some form.

Stage Builder is the biggest ommision to me. I used it a lot in both Brawl and Wii U, and it led to a lot of stupid ****ing matches with my friends. Some of my fondest Smash memories have been in custom stages.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
They said on the website "more modes to come". This isn't all of the modes.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Stage Builder, not at all. For me it was so limited that the inclusion in the game was just to give the impression of more content, but the levels done with stage builder were never beautiful or really interesting.

The Coin mode I remember playing it one time and never more on the WiiU version of the game. I thought it was super boring.

Home Run Contest for me is just like a browser minigame that I played one time and never more. I will not miss it too.

But I liked Break the Targets, it was a cool mode to play alone some times. Would be nice if it had a return.

The Events mode seems to be integrated with the Spirts adventure mode, and I'm super ok with that, cause at least it has a cooler map and I hope to see better challenges.

So, in general, I always thought smash had a lot of trash/irrelevant/boring minigames that dont add any value at all for the game, because they give me no desire to play them and only pollute the menus with a lot of garbage options of bad modes of games. So, I will not be affected by the removal of all these modes. I actually really preffer if most of them just go away and they bring new better modes. The only extra mode I really liked were Break the Targets and Multi Man Smash and Events, that is returning.

Last edited:

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post; double posting(Please edit your messages instead).
They said on the website "more modes to come". This isn't all of the modes.
They showed all the menus though. And I really think they would have mentioned it if they have a mode in the works.

For me, not having stage builder might be the reason I won't buy the game. Before you say that's a bit dramatic, I don't own a switch yet and would have to buy 1 solely for smash. I'm definitely not made of cash, and you know, I would if I really love it... But I'm in an e-sports community, and will be able to play just competitive matches with friends on a bunch of different set ups a few times a week. Single player content however will be rare for me, unless I buy said switch. And you know, the stage builder was by far my most used and loved single player feature in smash 4. (Not too brag, but I like to think I also made some really fun stages) I loved coming up with interesting ideas for stages. Most of them were based on an idea not currently represented in the stagelist. I also made some really fun mini game stages. Of course the infamous Smashketball, which I had an improved design for. I made a volleyball stage which was really fun, And a couple king of the hill/ capture the flag stages using the flag item. I spent many hours making and testing stages, and seeing my friends enjoy them. I think it played a large part in my satisfied feeling of buying a wii-U (again solely for smash). And I'm not sure the Spirits mode really is for me. It seems to target the collectors or completionist crowd. I'm more in the creativity camp.

I guess what I'm trying to say. Stage builder not being in the game is the biggest unfulfilled desire of mine,. So big it makes me reconsider purchase. If it's coming in an update, I hope they inform us soon, but it's looking like a pipe dream to be honest.

Stage Builder, not at all. For me it was so limited that the inclusion in the game was just to give the impression of more content, but the levels done with stage builder were never beautiful or really interesting.
Have you seen all the levels ever made in stagebuilder? Or are you basing your opinion on a few crappy levels made by people too lazy or uniformed to use the straight lines tool? I say this because I get very annoyed at people hating on stage builder because it didn't produce good levels. It might be this very reaction that caused it to be scrapped!

So yes,I agree the mode was definitely very barebones and could be greatly improved. But there was already enough there to make great stages! If you don't believe me please do some research and look up old stage creation contests. I don't think my old stages are find-able online anymore, but you can also see tons of other good stagebuilders. Nicholigh comes to mind as someone who also tried to push the boundaries of the mode.

So the fact that most people didn't know how to use it to it's fullest extent isn't a reason to just get rid of it. It's a reason to improve it. Make it more intuitive and user friendly. Make stage sharing easy, and logical with a ranking system or times downloaded so you can easily separate the good stages from the bad. I've made earlier posts describing all my wishes for an improved stagebuilder. I really think it can easily be one of the best things for a Smash game, also for the people who don't like building their own stage. You could have people making their own target smash stages, sharing them and voilá: character specific target smash. Or board the platforms. If they're really ambitious (Like my suggestions) they could even allow us to create adventure stages. Making our own event matches, linking them together for player created story modes.

Excuse my rambling, I'm just passionate about smash, and the stagebuilder functionality always fills my head with ideas and possibillities.

TLDR; Improve stage builder, don't just cut it.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Coin Launcher, Home Run Contest, Break the Targets, and all of Smash 4's crappy revamps of modes that apply here are modes that could have been omitted and I won't care. The spirits mode looks to be a glorified events mode, so I'm not complaining.

Unless they're preparing extra software for this, I don't like the omission of stage builder. It feels like a major mode I used a lot just got cut from the game, and while I'm not particularly happy, I'll live.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
The only modes I'm gonna miss are Home Run Contest and Break the Targets and Smash Run (kinda). Stage Builder, Coin Smash, Master/Crazy Orders, Smash Tour, Board the Platforms, All-Star mode, Target Smash, Trophy Rush as well as Trophies, can all take a hike for all I care.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Home Run Contest had lost its luster to me as the same one-dimensional mode 3 games in a row with minimal changes. If it's gone, then that's fine imo. Individual Break the Targets is always going to be the dream, but designing 70+ of these one-use obstacle courses was never going to be feasible if the game was going to expand in other areas.
All-Star changing to basically Endless Melee makes sense with the ever-ballooning roster. The Master/Crazy Orders thing was fun, but I'm not losing sleep over its loss.
Overall, I'm happy the priority was given to character inclusion instead of mode inclusion.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Software updates could add new game modes later on. After all, Mario Kart 8 didn't have 200cc to start out.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Have you seen all the levels ever made in stagebuilder? Or are you basing your opinion on a few crappy levels made by people too lazy or uniformed to use the straight lines tool? I say this because I get very annoyed at people hating on stage builder because it didn't produce good levels. It might be this very reaction that caused it to be scrapped!
I don't care... there's no way to share stages in Smash4, so, it's pointless to me. since I can't download cool stages done by some skilled people. I feel bad for people that liked the tool, but I think most people just used it to create a stage with their names and never more.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
The only one of these I really wish we had not lost is home-run contest, I always have enjoyed taking a couple days and going through and clearing it with every fighter each game, plus it has been in every game pretty much untouched since melee so its kind of going to be weird to not have it but oh well, can always go back and play it in an older smash i guess.

As for the rest spirits seems to be a successor to events, as much as i like break the targets it was absent last time so i have always questioned whether or not it would be brought back, and I were I liked stage builder in brawl, i never really got into in 4 and am not too upset to see it gone.

I actually completely forgot coin matches were a thing, were they even in 4, I honestly do not remember. I am pretty I have not played a coin match since when brawl 1st came out so that is also not a big deal to me.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll miss coin matches but if the price is getting an adventure mode, I'll gladly take it.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'm gonna miss stage builder for sure. And I don't know why they wouldn't include Home Run Contest, as I assume it would be fairly simple to port over.

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
Modern Home Run Contest boiled down to everyone just trying to emulate the bat-throw-cheesing they saw on YouTube. Keep it dead.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I don't care... there's no way to share stages in Smash4, so, it's pointless to me. since I can't download cool stages done by some skilled people. I feel bad for people that liked the tool, but I think most people just used it to create a stage with their names and never more.
There totally was a way to share stages. Unfortunately, it was tied to Miiverse, so when that was taken down, R.I.P.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
So far Coin, Events, Home-run contest, Break The Targets and Stage Builder and more are gone! do you miss them?
I will miss break the targets, home-run contest and stage builder... dearly. :( Hope they get patched in.....

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I'll mainly focus on Home Run and Targets because those are the ones I care most about. If Stage Builder came back better than ever then great, otherwise meh.

Home Run is the most confusing cut for me. Both that and Targets are staples of the series, but Home Run seems easy enough to implement that it's strange it isn't in Ultimate. With Targets I suspect they didn't want to do Target Smash again, but also didn't want to use the same five stages for every fighter and the roster was too big to reasonably develop unique targets stages for each.

I'm half-convinced those types of modes MIGHT be somewhere in World of Light like a Stadium you can visit or something, but that could just be hopeful speculation. I would be pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of Stadium modes come back in an update, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got cut for good to make room for everything else in the game.

The game's gonna be amazing anyway so I'm not too concerned, they just would've been EVEN MORE infinite hours poured in if those modes were back.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
EVENT MODE: Seeing how spirits is the new event mode essentially. I welcome the change.

Breakt The Targets & Home Run
I’m not going to miss these honestly. Had they have brought back Melee style Targets. Then I’d be hyped. Home Run has been the same for the last 15+ years. It’s time to move on. My big issue with these modes absence is. I’m baffled how they didn’t try to replace these single player mode with something else. Like some new mini game types of some sort. To remove these modes and not replace the void with something new, is my only problem with this.

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
i'm going to miss stage builder. i always loved creating the stupidest stages i can come up with and playing on them with friends.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Home Run Contest absent is honestly a mistake. There's incredibly no reason for it to be missing, making this Smash even more less "Ultimate" for me.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, I certainly miss the additional modes in Ultimate. If there is one area that I feel Ultimate is legitimately lacking in, it's the modes. The overhaul of Classic I LOVE for example. Tourney needed to be back in the base game. Smash Down and Squad Strike are neat additions to Smash mode. And Spirits does look like it's done a lot to create a large and interesting mode (That said I don't know how much I'll personally enjoy it...).

I can deal with Event Mode gone since Spirits kind of consumed it. A Boss Rush mode would have been great considering we got bosses back, but I'm willing to compromise that. Smash Run was always going to be way too huge of a thing to develop with brand new HD assets. Smash Tour got all the hate it deserved.

The rest is what I do miss. Crazy and Master Orders were interesting additions with cool risk/reward mechanics and I would have liked the chance to unlock things through other modes (Plus they weren't super complicated). I'm now such a huge fan of All-Star being co-opted in to Multi-Man. And speaking of Multi-Man, where are the other options like 10 Man, Endless (with Mii Fighters), and Rival Smash? I liked the different options and challenges that came with those.

Home Run Contest is such a simple aspect of the game, that while not super popular I imagine, depresses me to see gone. I mean that's where we got Sand Bag from, and it was fun to play for challenges again as a nice little distraction mode or to compete with friends.

And Break the Targets / Board the Platforms are super big fan favorites that just would have been nice to see in some form, even if it was only stages like Brawl...

The rest of the game is packed with content, and Spirits may be a lot more than I'm thinking, but I do grieve the loss of some our long standing modes...

Ciro Blanco

Smash Cadet
I think they are gonna announce more modes the next year at the E3! I hope Break the target, stage builder and home run contets will be back...

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
Well to me, WoL kinda looks like event matches mushed together to make a story...so there is that. The only other 2 modes I had so much fun with, trying to get SLIGHTLY faster times with every character, was break the targets and board the platforms. I would like to see UNIQUE stages for both of those for each character to use their strengths and abilities optimally.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I think Home Run Contest is still in the game somewhere, buried under a menu we haven't seen yet. I could see it being in a sub-menu under Training, like how Century, All-Star, and Cruel Smashes are under Mob Smash. I didn't actually watch Sakurai's menu tour, so I could be wrong, but that's my thought.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I can accept the fate of break the targets, with how they weren't that good since they stopped making them exclusive to each character in brawl, to turning into an angry birds mode, I'm not going to be down about it not appearing here especially with over 70 characters would be too much to work on. Coins, well... I mean is anyone really going to miss that? Stage builder, while I've went crazy on using it as a child on brawl, I barely ever used it on 4. Still, I can see why people would be disappointed.

Now home-run boggles me. It's honestly a favorite of mine but I didn't think too much about it until we came to a realization that it could not be included this time around. I don't even understand why, it's a simple yet fun mode that breaks away from the core gameplay, designing it wouldn't take long as all you're doing is making a platform and a launch area to see how far you can send the sandbag. They could of ported it from the Wii U version similarly to the other Wii U stages and possibly make some design tweaks here and there if they wanted to make this mode even easier. Seeing it disappear made me noticed how something small gave the game more variety.

I will definitely not miss the coin battles, already accepted targets death, a bit disappointed with stage builder seemingly to be non-existent, and sad and confused on why home-run was cut. Hopefully stage builder and home-run are just hidden somewhere else in the menu rather than being completely taken away.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
They might add some modes as software updates/free dlc just so you know

But spirits is technically event match and adventure mode and I never cared for the trophies I would rather them do this than those and not as much work needed

Chance home run contest and break the targets for updates

I really hope master/crazy orders gets brought back as a mode in a update for ultimate but slim chance though

fewmets

Smash Rookie
I think they may have seen home run contest as redundant with the new training mode. One of the biggest reasons seemed to use home run contest was as a measure of their ability to rack up percent, and judge angles of their killing moves. The new training mode does this all for you more intuitively than home run did.

I'm sure people will miss that feeling of watching Sandbag fly off into the distance, but the utility of the mode is still there.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Last edited:

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
This page: https://www.smashbros.com/en_GB/howtoplay/mode.html

Has all the known modes (outside of Spirits, which is in a separate page) but also says "And even more modes!" at the bottom of the page.
Well this is interesting, the fine print is quite small though (on mobile) so I wonder if its intentional. If it is I wonder if we will be getting free updates with new game modes like Nintendo's other multiplayer games.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well this is interesting, the fine print is quite small though (on mobile) so I wonder if its intentional. If it is I wonder if we will be getting free updates with new game modes like Nintendo's other multiplayer games.
I wouldn't rule that out.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I certainly miss the additional modes in Ultimate. If there is one area that I feel Ultimate is legitimately lacking in, it's the modes. The overhaul of Classic I LOVE for example. Tourney needed to be back in the base game. Smash Down and Squad Strike are neat additions to Smash mode. And Spirits does look like it's done a lot to create a large and interesting mode (That said I don't know how much I'll personally enjoy it...).

I can deal with Event Mode gone since Spirits kind of consumed it. A Boss Rush mode would have been great considering we got bosses back, but I'm willing to compromise that. Smash Run was always going to be way too huge of a thing to develop with brand new HD assets. Smash Tour got all the hate it deserved.

The rest is what I do miss. Crazy and Master Orders were interesting additions with cool risk/reward mechanics and I would have liked the chance to unlock things through other modes (Plus they weren't super complicated). I'm now such a huge fan of All-Star being co-opted in to Multi-Man. And speaking of Multi-Man, where are the other options like 10 Man, Endless (with Mii Fighters), and Rival Smash? I liked the different options and challenges that came with those.

Home Run Contest is such a simple aspect of the game, that while not super popular I imagine, depresses me to see gone. I mean that's where we got Sand Bag from, and it was fun to play for challenges again as a nice little distraction mode or to compete with friends.

And Break the Targets / Board the Platforms are super big fan favorites that just would have been nice to see in some form, even if it was only stages like Brawl...

The rest of the game is packed with content, and Spirits may be a lot more than I'm thinking, but I do grieve the loss of some our long standing modes...
About the Multi-Man Smash, I feel that only Rival Smash is out.
We have Century Smash, All-Star Smash, and Cruel Smash on Ultimate.
The options of play 10 Man Smash and 3-Minute Smash are just fillers. Why you need 10 man smash? It barely has any challenge, it leasts just some seconds and then you go to 100 Man Smash that just has 10 Man Smash inside itself. 10 Man Smash is pointless, you can really finish it before you blink, it's a filler option.
Also, what is the point of 3 Minute Smash too if not to be another filler mode? When we have Endless Smash, you dont need 3 minute Smash, you have a timer already, and a kill count. If you survives 3 minutes in Endless Smash and see your kill count, that's it, you have 3 Minute Smash, you have 4 Minute Smash, you have 10 minute Smash.. all inside Endless Smash. If we extend that thinking, we could even imagine that Endless Smash could even make 100 Smash pointless.. you just need to defeat 100 enemies in Endless Smash and that's it.
This game mode really dont need too many options, and in my thinking, it should just have Endless Smash with a menu with a list of objectives to acomplish, like kill 100/200/1000 Man,, survive 3 minutes, 5 minutes and so on... Dont need to be different buttons to give the impression of being different modes.
And about the Endless Smash, I think All-Star Smash is just the same, the infinite Endless Smash, so, only Rival is not in the game.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
About the Multi-Man Smash, I feel that only Rival Smash is out.
We have Century Smash, All-Star Smash, and Cruel Smash on Ultimate.
The options of play 10 Man Smash and 3-Minute Smash are just fillers. Why you need 10 man smash? It barely has any challenge, it leasts just some seconds and then you go to 100 Man Smash that just has 10 Man Smash inside itself. 10 Man Smash is pointless, you can really finish it before you blink, it's a filler option.
Also, what is the point of 3 Minute Smash too if not to be another filler mode? When we have Endless Smash, you dont need 3 minute Smash, you have a timer already, and a kill count. If you survives 3 minutes in Endless Smash and see your kill count, that's it, you have 3 Minute Smash, you have 4 Minute Smash, you have 10 minute Smash.. all inside Endless Smash. If we extend that thinking, we could even imagine that Endless Smash could even make 100 Smash pointless.. you just need to defeat 100 enemies in Endless Smash and that's it.
This game mode really dont need too many options, and in my thinking, it should just have Endless Smash with a menu with a list of objectives to acomplish, like kill 100/200/1000 Man,, survive 3 minutes, 5 minutes and so on... Dont need to be different buttons to give the impression of being different modes.
And about the Endless Smash, I think All-Star Smash is just the same, the infinite Endless Smash, so, only Rival is not in the game.
Those modes give you a clear way of playing for best time and would allow for leader boards. The fun of a 10 Man Smash was seeing just how quickly you could do it. I know their superfluous in the grand scheme of things, but they are also already in the game for all intensive purposes. Why not include them as something a little extra? Sure the mode can already be said to be in the game, but I shouldn't be asked to do more work to play a mode I have previously in the past. It makes the game feel a little less featured when you don't have those modes and challenges.

Plus All-Star mode is the new Endless, which means you're objectively getting rid of an entire main mode of the previous games with All-Star. They just replaced the frequency of main characters to be only those fighters. I had hoped for a revision of All-Star that took us somewhere more interesting and made the mode easier to deal with and feel less painful, not a complete gutting of the mode to fit on to the Endless Smash name.

Cobalt Chalcedony

Smash Rookie
Stage Builder: If its more like brawl's (which it will have to be thanks to the Switch not forcing the touch screen on you) but with more options and less restrictions

Coin: i played this like, once and then forgot it ever existed

Homerun & Target Smash: While i think they are almost guaranteed but i would only slightly miss them to be honest, theyre fun but they get boring for me fast

Events: I'd really miss them but i guess the new singleplayer mode kind of acts like one from what ive seen, so i wouldnt miss it too much

Last edited:
Top Bottom