• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mirror of Truth or Palutena's Advice? Both available at all hours of the day

Viridian

Smash Rookie
NNID
WViridian
Do we not have a full combos and percentages article somewhere for Dark Pit? I can't find one that isn't kinda sketchy and is percentage based rather than general beginner stuff. I'm a Peach and Dark Pit dual main and I have 6 or so pages in a notebook filled with frame data, combo percentages, at's, and notes on what top Peaches were doing that I liked, but all that I have solidified for Dark Pit is frame data. The more meticulous, the better

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
When is a good time to use Up-Tilt with :4pit: ? I normally use it as a quick punish at low percents.

Do the Pits have any locking moves? I find myself using Dair for a locking move~

Mr. ShinyUmbreon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0576-7060-3860
When is a good time to use Up-Tilt with :4pit: ? I normally use it as a quick punish at low percents.

Do the Pits have any locking moves? I find myself using Dair for a locking move~
It can hit under platforms to pressure, but that's about it. On BF all hits go through the lower platforms, on DL only the last hit goes through the lower platforms. Not sure about Smashville because I don't play the wii-u version.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
SV's platforms are slightly higher then Dreamland's I believe, pretty confident that Utilt goes through them.

Utilt's good, but how it fit's with Pit's kit isn't near as obvious as everything else. Most apparently it's harder to punish then Usmash, comes out faster then Uair, and isn't either move so it doesn't stale them. (Uair can kill at higher percents, yaknow.)

Another silly thing is that you can use it out of a walk and Pit will slide while doing the move. Sometimes I'll walk up to an opponent and use it on 'em and they'll spotdodge or drop their shield thinking it's something else and get caught in the move.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Alright, so I picking up old Pittoo as a secondary to Dadledingo. I tried Palutena, but her meta is just down throw until she wins: super boring.
I'd like to know how useful you all find Pit and Pittoo's jump cancel up smash is. I don't really use it for Dedede because Dedede's awful, but if it's useful for Pittoo, I'm willing to practice for awhile.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'd like to know how useful you all find Pit and Pittoo's jump cancel up smash is. I don't really use it for Dedede because Dedede's awful, but if it's useful for Pittoo, I'm willing to practice for awhile.
Very much. Usmash kills Mario at like 120% without rage, has a large disjointed hitbox, and comes out frame six. Pretty sure it's the lowest start-up Usmash in the game.

Of course the hitbox on it is a little weird when it comes to hitting grounded opponents... Works really well as a punish on taller characters, but against more middle height ones you'll have to be aware of how their landing animations work to use it properly. That's a really high level thing though, and actually I don't think anybody's tried that yet.

Another think to keep in mind is that if you jump cancel it then you can use a grab button to unleash the attack instantly instead of charging a frame or two if you did with an attack button. Very useful for the early Dthrow > Usmash combos.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Time to ask another stupid question! HOORAY!

What uses do his Back Throw and Up Throw have? I find no use for them besides as a "Get Away From Me" option, since I know the uses of his Down-Throw and Forward throw, but I never use his other 2 throws.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Time to ask another stupid question! HOORAY!

What uses do his Back Throw and Up Throw have? I find no use for them besides as a "Get Away From Me" option, since I know the uses of his Down-Throw and Forward throw, but I never use his other 2 throws.
Not staling Fthrow for one.

Uthrow either does the most or second most (then Fthrow would be the most) damage out of any of his throws. When Dthrow > Uair stops working most go to Uthrow because of the damage and it also keeps the opponent above you to harass with arrows, Uairs, and Usmashes. Also can kill at reasonable percents on platforms, and combos into Uair at 0%.

Bthrow launches low meaning it's good for setting up gimps or jab lock/tech chase stuff. That, and it'd be awkward to not have a Bthrow.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Does platform cancelling still exist? like not the ledge cancel side b cancelling but cancelling your footstool jump on a platform.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Does platform cancelling still exist? like not the ledge cancel side b cancelling but cancelling your footstool jump on a platform.
As far as I'm aware Pit could only do it with the WoI > Dair in Brawl. Dang I miss that move.

Mechanically it's either A: A move stopping your momentum or B: A move that causes your feet to touch the ground. Since they removed everything fast that could do it (IIRC?) it's pretty nonexistent in this game.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
http://youtu.be/iVZ9VVcwlco

LancerStaff LancerStaff I was only wondering after I saw this...apparently it was a platform cancel but I have no idea how.
Didn't see him touch the platform... Not too familiar with Greninja so I couldn't really say if it's just how he works or a technique. Why don't you go ask around the Greninja boards?

I should really be sleeping right now, with the patch thing due tomorrow and I got stuff to do... Maybe I can test some things over lunch if it's that early.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
I'm still trying to learn the corrin matchup, and I find a bit of trouble as fox. I have a pocket :4pit: and :4mewtwo:but would fox be better for the MU?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm still trying to learn the corrin matchup, and I find a bit of trouble as fox. I have a pocket :4pit: and :4mewtwo:but would fox be better for the MU?
I think all of your characters do well against Corrin. Corrin's a character you need to be careful against, though. Don't overcommit and then stay out of tipper range basically.

Pit's the character I know so I can talk about that matchup. With Pit, walk everywhere and stay out of Corrin's sword range. For the most part Pit's grounded attacks have much better range and largely the same frame data as Corrin's grounded sword attacks, so keeping in Pit's ideal range is quite important. Pit doesn't fear counters near as much as other characters because counters only take one hit and calculate damage and knockback like that, and on top of that Pit can snuff counters completely with multihit moves and some luck. Pit's great at exploiting Corrin's offstage game too, between arrows stopping Corrin from Bairing back onstage, being able to challenge Corrin's recovery with Dair, and Pit's Dsmash covering the 2 frames on the ledge well.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If you're feeling confident you can Electroshock through Ryu's side B and gimp him at like 50%.

Just play it safe. Dark Pit is faster then Ryu and has more range. Personally I stick to multihit aerials so Focus Attack can't be a problem.

Inumi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kingluigi28
3DS FC
1289-8795-1666
If you're feeling confident you can Electroshock through Ryu's side B and gimp him at like 50%.

Just play it safe. Dark Pit is faster then Ryu and has more range. Personally I stick to multihit aerials so Focus Attack can't be a problem.
Yeah. But I don't really like to spam the same attack over and over and over. And I'm an offensive Dark Pit.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Let me save you some trouble right now... There's no honorable way to play the game. You play the best you can, you play optimally, you play to win. The game does not know honor or dignity... It only knows the winners and losers.

If your opponent is a fool and falls for the same move over and over, use and abuse said move. You don't just drop a combo/what's effectively a combo because you're afraid of being called a spammer.

Similarly, you're going to lose against Ryu by playing offense every single time. If you don't just walk into people charging smash attacks, why would you approach somebody who wants you to approach?

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
Just picked up pit , and I'm struggling a little with out of shield options. Right now I'm doing short hop Nair out of shield which is alright, but not amazing. Also having trouble punishing someone hitting my shield when my back is towards them. Any advice?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just picked up pit , and I'm struggling a little with out of shield options. Right now I'm doing short hop Nair out of shield which is alright, but not amazing. Also having trouble punishing someone hitting my shield when my back is towards them. Any advice?
Nair OoS is probably the best option most of the time... Usmash is good but the range is meh and tends to miss shorter characters or ones bending down in the recoil of an attack. Grab is also good but still lacking range.

Most of the time Nair should be able to hit people behind you if you jump at them, but if not, you're going to have to commit to a slower option. Dair's got convenient hitbox placement and is fairly safe, and Dtilt/Dsmash/Fsmash/Dash Grab are probably the best ones after that.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
I struggle against characters that are difficult to zone-mostly little mac and captain falcon could I have help?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I struggle against characters that are difficult to zone-mostly little mac and captain falcon could I have help?
Walk around and jab a lot, especially against their dashing options. Stay outside of their immediate range and bait them into doing something punishable. If they're playing patiently then use some spaced Nairs and Fairs for pressure.

some characters out-neutral pit. what do?
Do your best to challenge what they throw out when reasonable while keeping up your defense and be ready with your hard punish options. If they're winning neutral more you need to make your neutral wins mean more.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What is earth's mentality behind his rolls? He almost never gets punished for them.
Not entirely sure... I mean he uses them in a way that they're almost completely safe but I don't know how he comes to it so consistently.

Pit's dodges are tied for sixth best in the game though, so if you're trying it as somebody else (like Rosalina and her mediocre ones) then you're going to have a bad time.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

SmittyBoyTellEm

Smash Rookie
Can any of Pit or DPit's aerials be used to drag opponents down offstage, similar to Fox's fair? I've been trying with nair/fair/uair but no luck.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.
Maybe note the Pits' differences? That's all I can think of that isn't basic gameplay info.

Dark Pit's arrows deal more damage, have higher knockback, and are faster, but can barely be angled. Pit's arrows are better because they can be redirected significantly for harassment in a lot of situations, and can more effectively make use of the much lower aerial FAF. Frame data is the same between them. Thanks to the lower aerial FAF Pit can fire three arrows in the air and still reasonably hit somebody in the time Dark Pit can fire two and outdamage his as a result. Dark Pit's are much worse, though still usable.

Dark Pit's side B launches diagonally, does slightly more damage, has significantly higher knockback, and has an electrical effect. Pit's launches almost straight up. Dark Pit's has so much more knockback it's better in all but the absolute worst situation.

Pit's Ftilt has more knockback then Dark Pit's. That's the only difference. Dark Pit's sets up for certain things but otherwise kills much later then Pit's and can be unsafe on hit.

And lastly Pit's rapid jab finisher is bigger, though the rapid jab is garbage anyway so it doesn't really matter. Besides some minor animation differences, these are the only differences outside of customs.

Can any of Pit or DPit's aerials be used to drag opponents down offstage, similar to Fox's fair? I've been trying with nair/fair/uair but no luck.
Yes, but fastfalling will usually have them fall out and Pit falls pretty slow regardless so it isn't very useful.

SatsumaFS

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble doing multiple jab locks. When I see people do a forward throw d-air jab lock, they get to do two or three d-airs, but somehow I just can't get that to work. By the time I land from the first d-air and short hop again, I missed the timing. Is there a trick to this?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I'm having trouble doing multiple jab locks. When I see people do a forward throw d-air jab lock, they get to do two or three d-airs, but somehow I just can't get that to work. By the time I land from the first d-air and short hop again, I missed the timing. Is there a trick to this?
It doesn't work on all characters and the timing is really tight, also you're not supposed to land after the first dair, you are meant to jump again while in mid air. For a double jab lock you have to use fullhop dair then fast fall dair.
For a triple lock you have to use shorthop dair, jump again before touching the ground and use dair then land with a dair. Although imo this isn't worth learning, its better to use footstool locks, or a single reset (less chance of messing up).

Last edited:

SatsumaFS

Smash Rookie
It doesn't work on all characters and the timing is really tight, also you're not supposed to land after the first dair, you are meant to jump again while in mid air. For a double jab lock you have to use fullhop dair then fast fall dair.
For a triple lock you have to use shorthop dair, jump again before touching the ground and use dair then land with a dair. Although imo this isn't worth learning, its better to use footstool locks, or a single reset (less chance of messing up).
Thanks for the reply. The damage looked really enticing (30% just from d-airs meng), but I guess it isn't as important if it doesn't work on everyone. Would you happen to know who can get double/triple locked?

Last edited:

Hylian_Legend

Smash Rookie
So ive been having this issue with recovering with Pit recently. When I use his up+B, sometimeshe just shoots past the ledge and i get ****ed for it. I dont know whats causing it and it doesnt happen consistently. Ive tried just inputting the up+B and not holding up / down / etc and he still goes shooting past it sometimes. This most often happens when I am coming up to the ledge from a steep angle. And its not like im using up+b outside of his ledgesnap grange. I always do it so he grazes the ledge.

Any insight?

Top Bottom