• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mirror of Truth or Palutena's Advice? Both available at all hours of the day

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Hey all. What are your overall thoughts on the Pit v. Greninja match-up?

Meta Knight struggles with Greninja because Shadow Sneak invalidates Shuttle Loop as a KO option (he's the only character in the game that can do so) so I'm looking for an answer to Greninja as rare as they may be. I have a pocket Pit that's probably good enough to move up to a proper secondary so I figured I'd start my search here.

Pit seems like he has the right tools for the job, albeit weaker frame data, but I'd like a second opinion.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hey all. What are your overall thoughts on the Pit v. Greninja match-up?

Meta Knight struggles with Greninja because Shadow Sneak invalidates Shuttle Loop as a KO option (he's the only character in the game that can do so) so I'm looking for an answer to Greninja as rare as they may be. I have a pocket Pit that's probably good enough to move up to a proper secondary so I figured I'd start my search here.

Pit seems like he has the right tools for the job, albeit weaker frame data, but I'd like a second opinion.
Hm, I know Earth thinks Pit vs. Greninja is easy as far as high tiers go, but he never was very specific about it. Myself I don't have a very strong opinion of the matchup.

Going to tag ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology and see how he thinks Pit vs. Gren stacks up against MK vs. Gren.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Do you guys not have a video thread? I'd like to see some high level pit play. My pit is ok but I could really use something to model my play around that goes beyond just fundamentals.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Okay I know this sounds really dumb but can the arms hit people on the ledge?
Specifically Electroshock because that would help alot more then Upperdash.

Because I did it before, and now I can't do it now and I'm really confused

And I don't have video proof :C

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Okay I know this sounds really dumb but can the arms hit people on the ledge?
Specifically Electroshock because that would help alot more then Upperdash.

Because I did it before, and now I can't do it now and I'm really confused

And I don't have video proof :C
I did it once too, either it only works on the characters that poke their heads above the ledge like charizard or your opponent jumped just before you hit him.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
I did it once too, either it only works on the characters that poke their heads above the ledge like charizard or your opponent jumped just before you hit him.
But I did against Zelda and Peach, whose head doesn't pop up iirc

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
But I did against Zelda and Peach, whose head doesn't pop up iirc
Maybe they jumped? I'd love the arm to hit people on the ledge, that would give a much better kill option than downsmash.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Heym I didn't know you played Pit, Nice!
He's the closest thing I have to a secondary, none of my fighters even come close to half of what I can do with my Meta Knight tho. I only really pick Pit to counter people who have really figured out my MK as a last resort sort of thing.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
CHOMPY CHOMPY do you know what stages to pick and ban against Diddy?
Our best player in Chicago mains Diddy. He loves taking people to SV and T&C, so I strongly recommend banning those two (or one of those 2). Diddy struggles on Lylat, due to the slopes of the ground that can get in the way when tossing the banana. I have seen him lose pretty often on that stage, he sometimes win on it, but usually he wins on Smashville. Battlefield can be a good option to take Diddy too, since the banana tends to land on the lower platforms at times, and your opponent would be able to pick it up easier.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Our best player in Chicago mains Diddy. He loves taking people to SV and T&C, so I strongly recommend banning those two (or one of those 2). Diddy struggles on Lylat, due to the slopes of the ground that can get in the way when tossing the banana. I have seen him lose pretty often on that stage, he sometimes win on it, but usually he wins on Smashville. Battlefield can be a good option to take Diddy too, since the banana tends to land on the lower platforms at times, and your opponent would be able to pick it up easier.
Wait so would Pit benifit from:
Camping under the moving platform in SV and use our anti-airs to keep Diddy in a wierd spot?

Even then would you still ban SV?

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
No matter what, I would ban SV. Other Diddy players, like MVD, Angel Cortez, Jtails, and many others tend to do very well on that stage. Not to mention that the smaller blastzones greatly help Diddy's bthrow kill earlier than other stages, like BF, FD, Lylat, and Dreamland.

Pit can really benefit on battlefield because the usmash has disjointed hitboxes that can go through the platforms.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
How should you recover with both pit and dark pit? Low or high?

For Dark Pit, with his arrows, when should i use them? for ledgeguarding ONLY? or should i use them to space out opponents..?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
How should you recover with both pit and dark pit? Low or high?

For Dark Pit, with his arrows, when should i use them? for ledgeguarding ONLY? or should i use them to space out opponents..?
Recover with Fspecial when you can, and go low when you need to resort to Uspecial.

Go ahead and use them onstage too, just need to be a little careful with characters that can close in really fast.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Hey does the angels have any attacks that cover most/all get up options?

Like, does dsmash cover at least 3 and usmash maybe cover 3 but the attack design can be a bit misleading

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
I think down-smash covers 3 and Up-smash covers three, but don't quote me! :ness2:
I think the usmash won't catch the roll on smaller fighters so maybe 2?

And if dsmash covered 3 then either roll/getup/attack would be the sourspot tipper :/

Not too sure though

Oh maybe as a misc question which fighter has the longest reach for their ledge get up attack?

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I am picking up Pitt/Dark Pitt as secondaries.

When I take him into training mode, what do you think are the 1st things I should work on?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
I am picking up Pitt/Dark Pitt as secondaries.

When I take him into training mode, what do you think are the 1st things I should work on?
I guess going offstage and working out how deep you can go and with what attacks is a good start as pit excels offstage.
After getting a feel of pit try out his moves and their knockback angles, combos and followups, then maybe work on spacing.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
What is the best way to deal with ZSS's nair and Z-air?
From my experience the three ways to deal with nair are
-Power shield
-Just respect it and wait for ZSS to do something else
-Punish with dash attack, even if you don't make it in time, dash attack > zss jab. If they start shielding dash attack then start grabbing.

With zair
-if you have an open stage try utiliIng full hop arrows in neutral. arrows > zair
-otherwise just respect it, although i do find luck in punishing it with dash attack at times.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Any thoughts on the cloud matchup?
I know he was just recently released but he is becoming an enormous problem for me. This is the third character I have posted in a forum for (after mewtwo and link) on this topic. I normally main pit but my dark pit just seems to be doing better.
Anyway, how should I go about the matchup and getting past his very, very powerful (and fast) moves?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
:4megaman: main here looking for a secondary, and I have a Pocket Pit and Dark Pit (or Pitpocket?) I thought I could maybe bust out in tournies. I like to think I've got most of the basic fundamentals down with them and I can tell that they're fairly easy to learn compared to other characters so that makes them a likely candidate for me. Before I do this though I wanted to ask:

Is the Sheik matchup managable for your character? Can the Pits do fine against :4mario::4falcon::4fox: and maybe :4pikachu: too (I say maybe because I'm not yet convinced MM loses to Pika, despite my hatred for fighting him)? Sheik tops most everybody in the cast I know, but she's just too much for MM to handle and he doesn't really come close to beating her at this point in the meta.

If it helps, I also like to think MM has winning matchups against :4diddy::4ryu::4villager::4peach::4ness::4sonic: and these characters are being quite common now it seems, if the Pits happen to have any trouble with any of these it'd be a cool coincidence. We also have a +2 matchup against D3, for whatever reason I hear Pit has hard time with him (could someone maybe elaborate on why?) despite the negative outlook on him as a character in general.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
:4megaman: main here looking for a secondary, and I have a Pocket Pit and Dark Pit (or Pitpocket?) I thought I could maybe bust out in tournies. I like to think I've got most of the basic fundamentals down with them and I can tell that they're fairly easy to learn compared to other characters so that makes them a likely candidate for me. Before I do this though I wanted to ask:

Is the Sheik matchup managable for your character? Can the Pits do fine against :4mario::4falcon::4fox: and maybe :4pikachu: too (I say maybe because I'm not yet convinced MM loses to Pika, despite my hatred for fighting him)? Sheik tops most everybody in the cast I know, but she's just too much for MM to handle and he doesn't really come close to beating her at this point in the meta.

If it helps, I also like to think MM has winning matchups against :4diddy::4ryu::4villager::4peach::4ness::4sonic: and these characters are being quite common now it seems, if the Pits happen to have any trouble with any of these it'd be a cool coincidence. We also have a +2 matchup against D3, for whatever reason I hear Pit has hard time with him (could someone maybe elaborate on why?) despite the negative outlook on him as a character in general.
Fortune they we already talked about this in the MU thread~

Here's the front page: http://smashboards.com/threads/batt...-discussion-peach-r-o-b-mr-game-watch.414936/

And quotes for the others

http://smashboards.com/threads/batt...o-b-mr-game-watch.414936/page-7#post-20587440

DDD is apparently a hard matchup because his Gordon can mess up our recovery because of the angle he sends it in. I'm not too knowledgeable on it soo... :L

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
can someone send me a list of pits Advance tech.
I have been lurking here for a good while now and i been wondering about Dark Pits Roll cancel grab is that useful at all in a competitive game or what?
he can also perfect pivot roll cancel throw but im just having a hard time finding it on the forums.

Found it on page 8 in the meta discussion.

Last edited:

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
how do I improve at spacing with pit?
I usually go for Ftilts, DTilts, SHFair, SHNair, FHDair(Thats for just a few situations), Upairs when there are platforms. But those are just the moves I feel more confortable, you'll need to get some practice and see what works for you.

Top Bottom