• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Mirror of Truth or Palutena's Advice? Both available at all hours of the day

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So ive been having this issue with recovering with Pit recently. When I use his up+B, sometimeshe just shoots past the ledge and i get ****ed for it. I dont know whats causing it and it doesnt happen consistently. Ive tried just inputting the up+B and not holding up / down / etc and he still goes shooting past it sometimes. This most often happens when I am coming up to the ledge from a steep angle. And its not like im using up+b outside of his ledgesnap grange. I always do it so he grazes the ledge.

Any insight?
First half of the move doesn't ledge snap. You can aim a notch lower and grind up the side of the stage so you grab it though.

Alternatively, holding downwards keeps you from ledge snapping at all.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
According to KuroganeHammer, yes.
http://www.kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Pit

Though it seems they are meaningless
Well I saw that but I remember that LancerStaff sad they were active only on the ground a while back. But I guess that means that they're active in the air, too, since there's nothing that differentiates the grounded from the aerial version

I wonder if that's why it flies over the edge at times

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nope, none in the air. It's a completely different animation. KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer should probably note it. And how exactly faf works so people will quit arguing with me when I say fullhop arrows are basically as low commitment as Luigi's fireballs. And why Marth's walk is trash.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Really? I don't see the telltale white flashing and couldn't find any invincibility at all when I tested it.You sure it's not applied improperly or something?

Oh and guys, I-frames shouldn't interfere with ledge snapping.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Thanks for the reply. The damage looked really enticing (30% just from d-airs meng), but I guess it isn't as important if it doesn't work on everyone. Would you happen to know who can get double/triple locked?
Almost everyone can get double locked, only fat characters like ROB can be tripled. Sorry I dont have a detailed list :<

RMK-FAST

Smash Rookie
Hi , im a New pit player , i watched a lot of earth's matches and i have a question : Why do earth rolls a lot ? Personally i never Roll, is it bad ?

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Hi , im a New pit player , i watched a lot of earth's matches and i have a question : Why do earth rolls a lot ? Personally i never Roll, is it bad ?
Well, I don't really watch Earth play too much, so I can't confidently answer why he rolls so much, because I don't even know how much he rolls.

But I can answer your second question. Rolling can be good, if you use it moderately. That's why it's such a bad habit for some players because rolls give you distance and allows you to dodge. But it can be punished, especially if you're opponent catches on your pattern. So yeah, you should roll (it's not bad), but don't over-use it. If you're thinking you're over-using it, send the Pit boards one of your videos and just ask us if you're rolling too much. It's SUPER important you don't roll too much though

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
There can never be too much rolling as long as you are rolling wisely. It's bad, predictable rolling you want to avoid, iirc I think Earth or someone who knows him mentioned Earth rolls alot to condition people.
Besides Pit has one of the best rolls in the game~

Last edited:

Squanchy

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSmithsAreDead
3DS FC
4656-8236-9363
Dumb question, but are Pit's arrows ever a different color other than blue ? I swear I've seen him use pink/reddish arrows twice before. Once was on a friend's mod and then a second time online, either on For Glory or playing someone on Anther's. Just a mod thing?

Last edited:

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Dumb question, but are Pit's arrows ever a different color other than blue ? I swear I've seen him use pink/reddish arrows twice before. Once was on a friend's mod and then a second time online, either on For Glory or playing someone on Anther's. Just a mod thing?
Pit's arrows are always blue, even with customs, so probably a mod thing

Last edited:

Sonnance

Smash Rookie
So, this has probably been asked before, but for the life of me I can't find anything on it, but has anyone else ever had a shadow ball volley with mewtwo and on your second reflect (the third reflect, counting confusion) the shadow ball just passes straight through mewtwo? Like, the projectile is still there but it acts like it doesn't have a hitbox anymore. Can anyone explain why this happens, or is it maybe something wrong with my copy of the game?

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
So, this has probably been asked before, but for the life of me I can't find anything on it, but has anyone else ever had a shadow ball volley with mewtwo and on your second reflect (the third reflect, counting confusion) the shadow ball just passes straight through mewtwo? Like, the projectile is still there but it acts like it doesn't have a hitbox anymore. Can anyone explain why this happens, or is it maybe something wrong with my copy of the game?
Woah, that sounds bizarre... Do you have footage of it?

At first I thought it was because Mewtwo's reflector broke, but judging from your description, that doesn't seem to be the case because apparently it didn't have a hitbox.

Sonnance

Smash Rookie
Woah, that sounds bizarre... Do you have footage of it?

At first I thought it was because Mewtwo's reflector broke, but judging from your description, that doesn't seem to be the case because apparently it didn't have a hitbox.
Actually, I do, now that you mention it. Though, you'll have to pardon the quality, I only have a replay of it on my 3DS.

These are both from the same match, but it happens everytime I try it, so it's consistent, at least.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Actually, I do, now that you mention it. Though, you'll have to pardon the quality, I only have a replay of it on my 3DS.

These are both from the same match, but it happens everytime I try it, so it's consistent, at least.
This seems to be unique to Pit and Dark Pit's reflectors. I'm not sure what causes it but if I had to guess....
the difference between Orbitars and other reflecters is that orbitars increase the speed the most of all reflectors at x1.7 in comparison most other reflectors don't even increase the speed. I'm guessing at that point the shadow ball is moving so fast along with it's wavy movement that somehow the hitbox sometimes skips over mewtwo.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

InfinitySoul

Smash Apprentice
There can never be too much rolling as long as you are rolling wisely. It's bad, predictable rolling you want to avoid, iirc I think Earth or someone who knows him mentioned Earth rolls alot to condition people.
Besides Pit has one of the best rolls in the game~
But why doesn't he foxtrot back and forth then ? Is Pit dash so bad, rolling is better for him ?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
But why doesn't he foxtrot back and forth then ? Is Pit dash so bad, rolling is better for him ?
Opponent is more likely to react to your rolling than your dash dancing so I guess, it works better for conditioning. With that being said though Earth does foxtrot too.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The reflected Shadow Ball is still Mewtwo's, actually... It's impossible for him to get hit by or do anything with it so it's totally harmless for both sides.

Still no idea why this happens though.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
The reflected Shadow Ball is still Mewtwo's, actually... It's impossible for him to get hit by or do anything with it so it's totally harmless for both sides.

Still no idea why this happens though.
I don't think its a case of failed ownership transferring, because it only passes through mewtwo sometimes whilst other times it hits regardless of the amount of reflects.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't think its a case of failed ownership transferring, because it only passes through mewtwo sometimes whilst other times it hits regardless of the amount of reflects.
What happens depends on the freshness/charge on Shadow Ball, actually. Never bothered getting it exact... Generally just a weird interaction and not our problem.

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
What are Pit's most reliable kill options? does he have a 50/50 throw option? or does he rely only on up smash reads and gimping?

Squanchy

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSmithsAreDead
3DS FC
4656-8236-9363
Any tips on the Ike matchup? Couldn't find much on him in the matchup discussion thread, although maybe I just couldn't find it.

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
Hey guys, I'm a Robin main who's strongly considering picking up Pit as a secondary to help deal with some character matchups I'm having trouble with; specifically Mario and Mewtwo. Would you say Pit does fairly okay against these two (and similar characters)? I'm not necessarily looking for a secondary with a strong advantage against them, just a character I can play comfortably with who does alittle bit better than Robin when concerned with those matchups. Thanks in advance!

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
Hey guys, I'm a Robin main who's strongly considering picking up Pit as a secondary to help deal with some character matchups I'm having trouble with; specifically Mario and Mewtwo. Would you say Pit does fairly okay against these two (and similar characters)? I'm not necessarily looking for a secondary with a strong advantage against them, just a character I can play comfortably with who does alittle bit better than Robin when concerned with those matchups. Thanks in advance!
Pit is known as the most honest character for a reason; his matchups barely deviate from even. Pit goes even with many characters, and either barely wins a match up or barely loses a matchup. That being said, i remember ANTi said a while back that Earth's Pit beats Mario, but i've never heard anything about Mewtwo. However, being that almost all of Pit's matchups are next to even, you can assume that Pit can hold his own against Mewtwo. So to answer your question, yes. Pit can cover those Matchups. If you end up not liking Pit, theres are other characters that beat both Mewtwo and Mario. This includes Cloud, Marth, Corrin, and Sonic.

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
Pit is known as the most honest character for a reason; his matchups barely deviate from even. Pit goes even with many characters, and either barely wins a match up or barely loses a matchup. That being said, i remember ANTi said a while back that Earth's Pit beats Mario, but i've never heard anything about Mewtwo. However, being that almost all of Pit's matchups are next to even, you can assume that Pit can hold his own against Mewtwo. So to answer your question, yes. Pit can cover those Matchups. If you end up not liking Pit, theres are other characters that beat both Mewtwo and Mario. This includes Cloud, Marth, Corrin, and Sonic.
Thanks for the advice, I'm pretty 50:50 between Corrin and Pit for my secondary at the moment but it sounds like either will work. Glad to know!

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Is there anything cool you can do with side+b reflect, that down+b can't?
like deflecting a projectile in a specific trajectory or something?

Top Bottom