• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mirror, Mirror - Dark Metaknight (Alt Costume of Metaknight confirmed!)

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
After all the Echo discussion I figured i'd make this.

Who Is Dark Metaknight?
Dark_Meta_Knight4.png

Dark Metaknight is the Mirror World version of Metaknight, first seen in the GBA Kirby game "The Amazing Mirror" as an antagonist who meddles with Kirby in two big boss battles one of which he poses as Metaknight to attempt to fool Kirby. He's much more pragmatic than the original, and has no sense of knightly honor. Willing to ambush and fool his opponents. He doesn't even offer Kirby a sword before they fight, what a jerk!

His attacks mirror (hah) Metaknights for the most part in his debut, besides having a stronger version of his tornado attack being able to use it as a projectile almost in a hurricane form.

He'd later appear in Triple Deluxe as a super boss, with several suped up attacks. Tricks that Metaknight never employed such as Mach Tornados from the background, swords that fly up from the ground, and even splitting into mirror copies.

In Star Allies he finally becomes playable and has moves based on the Mirror Copy power, which is pretty cool.

MrElectroG64 MrElectroG64 was kind enough to also let me use his schematic for how Dark Metaknight would work as an Echo Fighter.

Dark Meta Knight Echo Schematic.jpg

Why Dark Metaknight?
Echo Fighters seem to be more plentiful than we first expected. Dark Metaknight while not the most popular choice does have a decent fandom, and would be fairly easy to create. That along with the seeming Hero & Villain focus this game has. He'd be an actual clear villain from Kirby instead of the more anti heroic Metaknight or the Neutral Dedede.

Dark Halves of characters tend to also be fairly popular in media in general, Dark Metaknight would likely make people more curious about his outings and Star Allies introducing him recently as a playable character. Which also has put him more in the public eye of late (doubtful that would contribute to his getting in or not). His chances are well kind of unknown as of right now, but I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to include the guy as an Echo. If Bandana Waddle Dee got in, Dark Metaknight might have a shot to appear alongside him in the trailer, despite them being fairly unrelated besides being in the same franchise.

His main competition would be Galaxia Knight.

Stock Icons thanks to KMDP KMDP
25235F88-F863-4807-9124-96EA86865AD5.png
B8AAB13C-0903-449F-AD4F-BBAA345A64B3.png

He has a very awesome battle theme that they could put in as well.

1. SHSL Jedi
2. MrElectroG64
3. EarlTamm
4. grizby2
5. Fenriraga
6. ThePocketPencil
7. Kirbyfan391
8. The DanMan051
9. Sheng Long
10. psb123

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Count me in. Even though i never really intended to become a supporter, I brought up this guy enough when discussion of Galacta Knight came up that I have gotten attached. I firmly believe that if there will ever be a Kirby echo, this is it.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Count me in. Even though i never really intended to become a supporter, I brought up this guy enough when discussion of Galacta Knight came up that I have gotten attached. I firmly believe that if there will ever be a Kirby echo, this is it.
Welcome to the crew, hope I did the OP well enough. I've never made one of these threads haha.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Dark Meta-Knight would be an interesting addition to the roster and a good choice as an Echo Fighter if Galacta Knight isn’t chosen. Dark Meta-Knight would actually be easier to make and develop.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Welcome to the crew, hope I did the OP well enough. I've never made one of these threads haha.
It's good. Definitely has all the things a good op needs, at least that I know of. Anyway, there is one thing I immediately want to bring up. We know that MK has a GK alt, it even has a mask design that emulates Galacta Knight. So does MK have one for his dark doppelganger? I feel like it would almost be easier, all you would have to do is give him his dark design and the scar and BOOM, Dark Meta Knight. And yet we have only seen a GK alt.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
It's good. Definitely has all the things a good op needs, at least that I know of. Anyway, there is one thing I immediately want to bring up. We know that MK has a GK alt, it even has a mask design that emulates Galacta Knight. So does MK have one for his dark doppelganger? I feel like it would almost be easier, all you would have to do is give him his dark design and the scar and BOOM, Dark Meta Knight. And yet we have only seen a GK alt.
I'd like to say we haven't seen one that's like DMK, I myself have only seen the GK one as well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd like to say we haven't seen one that's like DMK, I myself have only seen the GK one as well.
We probably have not, since the only places we have seen Meta Knight's alts is on the Smash site, since he has not been playable in any demo if I recall, and even then they can withhold other alt's and costumes from us. I am looking at you, Meta Ridley.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
He was a bizarre ommission from the demo, when I was at EVO I thought to myself "Metaknight not being here feels off"

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Sure, why the heck not? Amazing Mirror is my favorite Kirby game, as uncommon an opinion as that is. Can't say Dark Meta Knight really resonated with me, but he'd make a great echo.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Having one Kirby rep in the demo just felt off in general.
It really really did.

Sure, why the heck not? Amazing Mirror is my favorite Kirby game, as uncommon an opinion as that is. Can't say Dark Meta Knight really resonated with me, but he'd make a great echo.
It's a favorite of mine as well, although my huge bias for Crystal Shards and Superstar kinda overshadow it at times.

i'll support him!

I think the idea of a teleport that also acts as a reflect is actually pretty damn sweet.
Sorry for the late reply, yeah it'd be a really cool movement option and very unique to smash just by giving it that property.

Dark Meta-Knight would be an interesting addition to the roster and a good choice as an Echo Fighter if Galacta Knight isn’t chosen. Dark Meta-Knight would actually be easier to make and develop.
Part of me hopes we get at least 4 "Dark" characters for a 4 for all Dark fight haha.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Part of me hopes we get at least 4 "Dark" characters for a 4 for all Dark fight haha.
Well we have Dark Pit and Dark Samus for a start. I think we can count Shadow under this category when he inevitably gets in. Sure, he is not exactly Dark Sonic, but I think his pure edge, abilities, and "Faker" lines more than qualify him.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
True, Shadow would fit there. Funny enough i'm supporting him too, I must secretly be an edgelord.

Also I think personally it'd be cool if all of his specials had a mirror aspect to them while not being very different from Metaknight, an odd compensation for his shorter sword reach or something to "mirror" his stuff.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
True, Shadow would fit there. Funny enough i'm supporting him too, I must secretly be an edgelord.

Also I think personally it'd be cool if all of his specials had a mirror aspect to them while not being very different from Metaknight, an odd compensation for his shorter sword reach or something to "mirror" his stuff.
Yeah, I think the mirror ability would really give him his own flair. That is where I agree with the sketch above. Though, I don't think his final smash would be like Met Knight, even if they are echo's. Chrom is a good example of an echo with a new final smash.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yeah, I think the mirror ability would really give him his own flair. That is where I agree with the sketch above. Though, I don't think his final smash would be like Met Knight, even if they are echo's. Chrom is a good example of an echo with a new final smash.
I agree, I think they could really go all out with the Mirror and him like cutting it to pieces after trapping his opponent(s) inside it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I agree, I think they could really go all out with the Mirror and him like cutting it to pieces after trapping his opponent(s) inside it.
I think of it like this, it would have the same capturing ability as Simons final smash, kinda sucking the opponent into the mirror. After they are in, you get a stylized moment of DMK delivering a multitude of blows or a single blow in the mirror space, followed by a shattering effect that then translates to the victims taking major knockback and damage. The effect would kinda look like the end of this finisher, except much less anime beauty and much more dark edginess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kyPsX4g0NE

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think of it like this, it would have the same capturing ability as Simons final smash, kinda sucking the opponent into the mirror. After they are in, you get a stylized moment of DMK delivering a multitude of blows or a single blow in the mirror space, followed by a shattering effect that then translates to the victims taking major knockback and damage. The effect would kinda look like the end of this finisher, except much less anime beauty and much more dark edginess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kyPsX4g0NE
Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought of Es with it.

Also I wonder if his voice would be even deeper than Metaknights.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought of Es with it.

Also I wonder if his voice would be even deeper than Metaknights.
Glass shattering is just a very cool effect, and Es's finisher is a prime example. As for his voice, can it get any deeper?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's see we got

Dark Pit
Dark Samus
Dark Link (costume)

And potentially

Dark Meta Knight
Shadow the Hedgehog
Hilda

This may be a good game for evil/anti-hero doppelgangers (RIP Mimikyu)

BTW, I found this leak that mentions Dark MK. Shout out to DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon for braving the chans to find it in the first place.

I've played the most recent build, things are mostly wrapping up with bug fixes.

Spirit Mode is basically a Metroidvania style Adventure mode that plays like the Temple stage from Melee's Adventure. 95% of all content in it is from pre-existing IPs. There's no story mode and the mode is randomized each play.

The blurred out section on this screen is the Smash Store, DLC was a requirement from Nintendo and the game will receive regular updates.

You can find spirits of characters which if returned to their trophies unlocks them, you can also buy spirits with coins earned, or you can just play multiplayer matches. This is what Sakurai meant by "Streamlined Unlocks"

Roster to be revealed
Kirby
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Dark Meta Knight (Echo)
("This game's winner is!" was changed to "X Wins" because of the long Kirby Character names)

Pokemon
-Incineroar
-Gardevoir
-Gothielle (Echo)

Misc
Shadow (Echo)
Black Shadow (Echo)
Elma
Skull Kid
Dixie Kong (Echo)
Geno
Ken (Echo)

Isaac w/ Felix (Echo) was considered, but Camelot refused saying they have no interest in seeing Golden Sun revived... but would consider DLC if there was enough demand.

--

DLC is planned, anything cut for time constraints will be free

Expect the first major update to drop January 19th 2019

Only things that bug me about that are A. Issac being refused until demand is seen (What the flip was the ballot for then?) and B. DLC coming as early as January.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Let's see we got

Dark Pit
Dark Samus
Dark Link (costume)

And potentially

Dark Meta Knight
Shadow the Hedgehog
Hilda

This may be a good game for evil/anti-hero doppelgangers (RIP Mimikyu)

BTW, I found this leak that mentions Dark MK. Shout out to DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon for braving the chans to find it in the first place.

I've played the most recent build, things are mostly wrapping up with bug fixes.

Spirit Mode is basically a Metroidvania style Adventure mode that plays like the Temple stage from Melee's Adventure. 95% of all content in it is from pre-existing IPs. There's no story mode and the mode is randomized each play.

The blurred out section on this screen is the Smash Store, DLC was a requirement from Nintendo and the game will receive regular updates.

You can find spirits of characters which if returned to their trophies unlocks them, you can also buy spirits with coins earned, or you can just play multiplayer matches. This is what Sakurai meant by "Streamlined Unlocks"

Roster to be revealed
Kirby
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Dark Meta Knight (Echo)
("This game's winner is!" was changed to "X Wins" because of the long Kirby Character names)

Pokemon
-Incineroar
-Gardevoir
-Gothielle (Echo)

Misc
Shadow (Echo)
Black Shadow (Echo)
Elma
Skull Kid
Dixie Kong (Echo)
Geno
Ken (Echo)

Isaac w/ Felix (Echo) was considered, but Camelot refused saying they have no interest in seeing Golden Sun revived... but would consider DLC if there was enough demand.

--

DLC is planned, anything cut for time constraints will be free

Expect the first major update to drop January 19th 2019

Only things that bug me about that are A. Issac being refused until demand is seen (What the flip was the ballot for then?) and B. DLC coming as early as January.
Interesting, that’s a kind of bizarre set of conditions on that leak haha.

But nice to see the Dark Metaknight name on there.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, what would the codecs about Dark Meta Knight be like? With how many Dark copy's there are running around, I feel like it's only a matter of time before Liquid is brought up.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Hey, what would the codecs about Dark Meta Knight be like? With how many Dark copy's there are running around, I feel like it's only a matter of time before Liquid is brought up.
I’d imagine Snake to make the Liquid comment in relation to Mewtwo more than say Dark Metaknight.

DMKs codec would probably be focused on the whole Mirror aspect, maybe a glamor joke here and there or the fact that Metaknight of all people has an edgier counterpart.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I’d imagine Snake to make the Liquid comment in relation to Mewtwo more than say Dark Metaknight.

DMKs codec would probably be focused on the whole Mirror aspect, maybe a glamor joke here and there or the fact that Metaknight of all people has an edgier counterpart.
Yeah, I can see that. Mewtwo could also be one of those sadder "I can relate" sort of codecs. One thing about DMK's reflections though, how would they balance him out compared to his original counterpart. The power of reflection can be majorly effective against many other characters, so what is his weakness?

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yeah, I can see that. Mewtwo could also be one of those sadder "I can relate" sort of codecs. One thing about DMK's reflections though, how would they balance him out compared to his original counterpart. The power of reflection can be majorly effective against many other characters, so what is his weakness?
Maybe he’s not as quick as Metaknight, the compensation for why he has to rely on his more pragmatic nature.

Not sure besides that.

ThePocketPencil

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1006-0411-0276
Yeah I think he's a great choice if Galacta has been soft deconfirmed as a costume, maybe Morpho but Dark is cooler and has a bigger history in the series, the dream is to have Marx and DMK or bandanadee playable eventually

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yeah I think he's a great choice if Galacta has been soft deconfirmed as a costume, maybe Morpho but Dark is cooler and has a bigger history in the series, the dream is to have Marx and DMK or bandanadee playable eventually
Honestly any of them would be cool, I just have a bias for DMK.

Also KMDP KMDP made us some stock icons!

B8AAB13C-0903-449F-AD4F-BBAA345A64B3.png
25235F88-F863-4807-9124-96EA86865AD5.png

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I've always found the idea of a quicker yet more defensively inclined character to be an interesting one; I may regret this as a Robin main (due to the deflector properties), but count me in.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I've always found the idea of a quicker yet more defensively inclined character to be an interesting one; I may regret this as a Robin main (due to the deflector properties), but count me in.
Just gotta counter pick the counter pick of course! (Also wasn't expecting to see you getting an account here).

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for including my schematic, as well as adding me to the supporters list! I'd really love to see Dorb become playable, and honestly I feel like he has a really good shot at getting in!

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
YES! I really want DMK as a Meta Knight echo in Smash Ultimate even more so than Galacta Knight since I loved his reveal for Star Allies. Just like MrElectro up here said before, I have also described that DMK can have the mirror/glass like aspects in his moveset.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Thanks for including my schematic, as well as adding me to the supporters list! I'd really love to see Dorb become playable, and honestly I feel like he has a really good shot at getting in!
I like that confidence, and I agree.

Thank you for letting me use it in the first place!

YES! I really want DMK as a Meta Knight echo in Smash Ultimate even more so than Galacta Knight since I loved his reveal for Star Allies. Just like MrElectro up here said before, I have also described that DMK can have the mirror/glass like aspects in his moveset.
That Star Allies reveal was big for me in both DMK and the Crystal Shards content haha. Welcome to the crew.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
How good would a slower Meta Knight with reflecting capability be? Guess it depends on who the opponent is.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
That's what Richter will be for! Also dang this quoting system is so much nicer than SF's
I know right!

How good would a slower Meta Knight with reflecting capability be? Guess it depends on who the opponent is.
I don't think he'd be THAT much slower, he'd probably have a little more power to compensate.

We also don't have much data on how Metaknight is in this game yet besides uair and up b seemingly getting nerfed.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Someone came up with an idea on how Dark Meta Knight could be a non-Echo:

D

Deleted member

The whole "Mirror" ability thing they gave him in Star Allies has me interested in him as his own character now. But him being a Meta Knight Echo is another option and one I'd be okay with.

Either way, I support Dark Meta Knight.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Someone came up with an idea on how Dark Meta Knight could be a non-Echo:

Awesome this is a great video. Do you wanna be added to the supporters?

The whole "Mirror" ability thing they gave him in Star Allies has me interested in him as his own character now. But him being a Meta Knight Echo is another option and one I'd be okay with.

Either way, I support Dark Meta Knight.
Adding you to the list!

Top Bottom