• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Not entirely sure. I don't think I've ever gotten a kill off of forward throw alone. In my experience, I always have to do something else afterwards to get a kill.

Funny enough, I get plenty of kills with F-Throw into Auto Reticle. Only two things can come out from this. Either it gimps their second jump (with exception to multi-jump characters) due to them instinctively jumping after being knock away from the stage, or they wait out the Auto Reticle, and sometimes either jump over it or air dodge. Either way, it adds pressure, and make off stages punishes more in my favor.

Edit: Man, to think the first comment on this page was from April.... :dizzy:
I see. Thanks for your input. Man, I really should use autoreticle more for gimping and such.

Also, lol yeah. It's safe to say there's no activity on this board.

snook

Smash Apprentice
Funny enough, I get plenty of kills with F-Throw into Auto Reticle. Only two things can come out from this. Either it gimps their second jump (with exception to multi-jump characters) due to them instinctively jumping after being knock away from the stage, or they wait out the Auto Reticle, and sometimes either jump over it or air dodge. Either way, it adds pressure, and make off stages punishes more in my favor.
Really cool to see other people do stuff like this consciously as well :p.
Definitely does add some pressure to the player you're edge-guarding, once they hear the noise of A.R they might be inclined to make a reaction quickly, and once they lose their double jump by jumping into it, it's pretty much a free dair if you react fast enough. Depends on the matchup too and positioning to an extent but it can be a good option and only reason not to use it really is if the opponent has a way of quickly punishing you (like fox's illusion to stage or something.)

Also, lol yeah. It's safe to say there's no activity on this board.
Everyone is practicing all the Palutena tech obviously!
No time to post on Smashboards anymore.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
It's nearing the end of October, fall is here, the election day is coming, and I still can't f-throw -> autoreticle.

And people still haven't posted anything here.

Lovely.

snook

Smash Apprentice
f throw A.R doesn't hit directly.
It controls space that opponents can jump into when thrown at a mid percentage, making this option for a high instant recovery unavailable. If they do jump into it, that's basically a free followup if you can react fast enough.

You probably already knew that but hey look someone posting!

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
f throw fair doesn't hit directly.
It controls space that opponents can jump into when thrown at a mid percentage, making this option for a high instant recovery unavailable. If they do jump into it, that's basically a free followup if you can react fast enough.

You probably already knew that but hey look someone posting!
That's an interesting mixup I never thought of. I should try that out.

Lol, and yeah. It's great to see other people posting \o/

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I ended up looking through the first comments here.

Needless to say, it's pretty cool to see all the hype build-up for Palutena long before the release of the game. Although, I lol'd when I saw pepole'a different "moveset theories".

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Playing Palutena aggressively is so hard against top tiers. lol

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I really need to get back into more tourneys. The last one I was in was back in September, and I had some pretty fun matches against 914-Goomba's Megaman.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I really need to get back into more tourneys. The last one I was in was back in September, and I had some pretty fun matches against 914-Goomba's Megaman.
Sounds like a plan! I'm guessing you'll be using Mario if you do enter one, but you should try out Palu. She's pretty good and fun to use. lol

Speaking of which, I should do the same. It's been a while since I entered a tourney. Maybe one day.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Sounds like a plan! I'm guessing you'll be using Mario if you do enter one, but you should try out Palu. She's pretty good and fun to use. lol

Speaking of which, I should do the same. It's been a while since I entered a tourney. Maybe one day.
Funny enough, I use Palutena a lot more in tourneys than I do Mario. Not that I think Pally is a better character, nor do I think I'm better off playing as Pally than Mario, but I just like the experience of playing against top level players with Pally. It's great practice, and the difference between tourneys and FG is like night and day!

Plus there are just some characters that I feel more comfortable just using Palutena. Example, I don't like fighting sword characters or any character with reach when playing as Mario. Not that it's impossible for me, but I just feel out of luck sometimes. I feel much more at ease using Pally's Bair or Fair.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Funny enough, I use Palutena a lot more in tourneys than I do Mario. Not that I think Pally is a better character, nor do I think I'm better off playing as Pally than Mario, but I just like the experience of playing against top level players with Pally. It's great practice, and the difference between tourneys and FG is like night and day!

Plus there are just some characters that I feel more comfortable just using Palutena. Example, I don't like fighting sword characters or any character with reach when playing as Mario. Not that it's impossible for me, but I just feel out of luck sometimes. I feel much more at ease using Pally's Bair or Fair.
Ah, yeah. Palu's pretty decent against a few characters Mario might struggle against, especially the sword fighters. Palu's b-air is self-explanatory at this point, but her f-air is still pretty underrated, I feel. It's a long-reaching, not-too-slow aerial that is safe on shield and can be a good hit confirm at early % and a safe get-off move at later %. I'm glad you find use for her.

It's pretty cool that you prefer to use her over Mario in tourneys. She is a very fundamental-based character, so I'm sure that's why you enjoy using her. And, I agree with you that tourneys are so much better for improving than FG. Better players, better environment, etc.

Anyways, good luck out there!

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Well, it's been a while, but I'm still alive (kinda).

My drive for this game has been rather lacking, to say the least. Months ago, I would be appalled to hear that I would get bored of this game in the near future. Funny how things go in the end. Oh well.

The lack of passion also got me losing to people I never thought I would lose to. However, I'm more surprised at how well I took the loss, to be completely honest. Welp.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Well, it's been a while, but I'm still alive (kinda).

My drive for this game has been rather lacking, to say the least. Months ago, I would be appalled to hear that I would get bored of this game in the near future. Funny how things go in the end. Oh well.

The lack of passion also got me losing to people I never thought I would lose to. However, I'm more surprised at how well I took the loss, to be completely honest. Welp.
That's good that you can take loses well. Some players (unfortunately) just don't know how to handle those kind of things, and take all of their anger and frustration out on the chairs...lol.

It's kinda weird, but I don't go to my local tourneys with a winning mindset. I go more for a fun learning experience. Funnily, that mentality helps me place high cause I'm not feeling the pressure to win. But when I do lose, I shake their hand and move on looking for friendly matches.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
That's good that you can take loses well. Some players (unfortunately) just don't know how to handle those kind of things, and take all of their anger and frustration out on the chairs...lol.

It's kinda weird, but I don't go to my local tourneys with a winning mindset. I go more for a fun learning experience. Funnily, that mentality helps me place high cause I'm not feeling the pressure to win. But when I do lose, I shake their hand and move on looking for friendly matches.
Poor chairs... lol

Yeah, I guess it is a good thing I'm taking my losses well. Definitely much better than making a fool out of myself.

I can definitely see how people can place higher when they don't feel the pressure. It's the kind of mentality that allows them to stay healthy with their opponents and themselves.

Unfortunately for me, though, I kinda lost the will to do my best AND try out new things. I've gotten really stale because of that. Oh well. Maybe it'll get better for me in the future.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
What's up, Palutena mains? I've recently been playing Palutena recently after playing Kid Icarus: Uprising, and I have to say: I like her a lot. She's my Smash waifu, but let's not get into that. As someone who tends to play characters who are more defensive than offensive, I gravitated towards Palutena pretty quickly. I've been learning how to use her for the past week, mainly because I'm taking a break from my co-main team of :4megaman: and :4kirby:. :4palutena:'s going to be one of the characters I use for fun. I just really love that green hair and eye combination. I dig stuff like that. :p

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
What's up, Palutena mains? I've recently been playing Palutena recently after playing Kid Icarus: Uprising, and I have to say: I like her a lot. She's my Smash waifu, but let's not get into that. As someone who tends to play characters who are more defensive than offensive, I gravitated towards Palutena pretty quickly. I've been learning how to use her for the past week, mainly because I'm taking a break from my co-main team of :4megaman: and :4kirby:. :4palutena:'s going to be one of the characters I use for fun. I just really love that green hair and eye combination. I dig stuff like that. :p
Hi there.

Glad you find Palutena fun to play as. She is definitely more geared towards defensive players, so I'm sure you'll have a good amount of success with her. Buuuuuuut, most importantly, as you have already noticed, she has the looks. ;)

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
After making a thread about Palu's place in the meta game, I began to wonder.

Is it possible to still discover new things for this character? Are there any other combos we can develop? Any chance for a new kill option? Etc etc etc...

Palutena is kinda frozen in the meta game right now, and she has made no progress whatsoever. It's a bit concerning for the character.

I wish there were at least some discussion about this character. I feel like Palutena still has some potential, but we definitely can't get there without any real talks about her toolkit.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
After making a thread about Palu's place in the meta game, I began to wonder.

Is it possible to still discover new things for this character? Are there any other combos we can develop? Any chance for a new kill option? Etc etc etc...

Palutena is kinda frozen in the meta game right now, and she has made no progress whatsoever. It's a bit concerning for the character.

I wish there were at least some discussion about this character. I feel like Palutena still has some potential, but we definitely can't get there without any real talks about her toolkit.
I feel like the basic premise for her has already been figured out. Only thing left is perfecting it, strengthening execution, and discovering new ways to apply them.

For example, I bumped my Warp cancel succession rate to 75%, were beforehand it was about 55%. Because of this, mind games and follow ups became more potent. I even started training with grabbing/dropping/using items during Warp Cancels. It makes a relatively safe edge guard/pressure game. I got inspired to practice with these things thanks to a certain Megaman player at my local tourneys. For instance, I practiced with Megaman's side b, because if it lands on you, Warping pass Megaman will stick to him as if you just walked next to him. Basically, I took something I've known as a movement tool, and turned it into a offensive tool.

It's things like that that I believe will help us get better with her. And what I mean by the premise has already figured out, it's things like Jab, DThrow to...well everything lol, Nair > Nair, or Nair > Uair, etc. Best thing we can do is try to strengthen what's already known. Like you can do DThrow > Nair > Nair > Nair > Uair for 51% (might be slightly lower due to staling) on battlefield if you land on the platforms correctly.

So yeah, I think her gameplay will (for the most part) stay the same unless some brand new tech got discovered that canceled aerials(auto canceling), smash attacks, or tilts. That or if the competitive scene brought customs to tourneys. Also I agree, Pally mains should do more discussions.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I feel like the basic premise for her has already been figured out. Only thing left is perfecting it, strengthening execution, and discovering new ways to apply them.

For example, I bumped my Warp cancel succession rate to 75%, were beforehand it was about 55%. Because of this, mind games and follow ups became more potent. I even started training with grabbing/dropping/using items during Warp Cancels. It makes a relatively safe edge guard/pressure game. I got inspired to practice with these things thanks to a certain Megaman player at my local tourneys. For instance, I practiced with Megaman's side b, because if it lands on you, Warping pass Megaman will stick to him as if you just walked next to him. Basically, I took something I've known as a movement tool, and turned it into a offensive tool.

It's things like that that I believe will help us get better with her. And what I mean by the premise has already figured out, it's things like Jab, DThrow to...well everything lol, Nair > Nair, or Nair > Uair, etc. Best thing we can do is try to strengthen what's already known. Like you can do DThrow > Nair > Nair > Nair > Uair for 51% (might be slightly lower due to staling) on battlefield if you land on the platforms correctly.

So yeah, I think her gameplay will (for the most part) stay the same unless some brand new tech got discovered that canceled aerials(auto canceling), smash attacks, or tilts. That or if the competitive scene brought customs to tourneys. Also I agree, Pally mains should do more discussions.
Very late reply, my b.

It's natural to do better at the game when you master what is already known. Of course, getting better with the neutral game also helps a lot.

The problem is, people already know this like the back of their hand. In fact, a lot of Palu players got better with what is already known, ranging from movement options to combos, and they're still getting better. Despite this, Palutena does not produce any results. Just look at characters like Cloud, Sheik, Mario, etc. For every single option Palu has, they have three. It just adds so much into their tool kit, which also allows them to be versatile, unlike Palutena who struggles in that department of creativity.

My point is, a lot of the top/high tier characters are still being developed while Palutena is not. If the basic premise has already been fully established for her, then I'm afraid she will not only remain unviable, but become even more irrelevant in the future.

snook

Smash Apprentice
And when she's irrelevant and everyone has forgotten the matchup we'll strike back lol.

But really this is kinda the unfortunate life for Palu mains because her moveset is pretty limited compared to other characters making it a lot harder to develop the meta further.

I feel like warp cancelling still isn't utilised to the highest potential but aside from this I don't really know what else we can work on.
I actually lab a lot of setups, particularly on tri-platform stages, but all in all the convoluted setups aren't really worth the effort with this character other than to look fancy lol.

Wish I could add more input but that's all I got for mow :s

Edit: Just a little note I'll add on a difficult tech I'm getting much more consistent at. Has anyone tried warp cancelling into instant ledge getup? It's pretty hard to time but you can literally do anything out of it (warp cancel > instant getup > grab etc...)

Atm I can only do it on ledges on the left side of the screen but working on it :p. If we could get consistent at this it could really help her punish game out.

I can post some examples of it but got no recording software so it'd just be a crappy recording from my tablet or something.
Not sure if people actually do this tech already but I think it's worth practising.

Just to throw it out there btw, it's a super mixup if your opponent is expecting a warp cancel trump.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
And when she's irrelevant and everyone has forgotten the matchup we'll strike back lol.

But really this is kinda the unfortunate life for Palu mains because her moveset is pretty limited compared to other characters making it a lot harder to develop the meta further.

I feel like warp cancelling still isn't utilised to the highest potential but aside from this I don't really know what else we can work on.
I actually lab a lot of setups, particularly on tri-platform stages, but all in all the convoluted setups aren't really worth the effort with this character other than to look fancy lol.

Wish I could add more input but that's all I got for mow :s
Well, it's great to hear that there are a few ppl who are actively looking into her toolkit. I do agree that her moveset is kinda limited compared to the really good characters. But hey, doesn't hurt to continue looking, right?

Warp cancelling is a good tech, but it isn't a huge trump card for her, since it can be read by good players. I do think that normal teleports are underutilized tho, as you have told me in the past. Under the right conditions, it can allow Palutena to gain stage control without getting punished. It may be a lot better at getting Palu out of pressure than i originally thought.

Speaking of trump cards, though...

Edit: Just a little note I'll add on a difficult tech I'm getting much more consistent at. Has anyone tried warp cancelling into instant ledge getup? It's pretty hard to time but you can literally do anything out of it (warp cancel > instant getup > grab etc...)

Atm I can only do it on ledges on the left side of the screen but working on it :p. If we could get consistent at this it could really help her punish game out.

I can post some examples of it but got no recording software so it'd just be a crappy recording from my tablet or something.
Not sure if people actually do this tech already but I think it's worth practising.

Just to throw it out there btw, it's a super mixup if your opponent is expecting a warp cancel trump.
That's actually a really interesting idea. I never thought about using instant get up even for a moment lol. From what I know, though, instant ledge get up doesn't give her any I-frames, so she may sometimes get up faster from ledge only to get punished by someone who immediately inputted a get up attack lol. I could be wrong though, and it is an interesting idea. The instant ledge get up would be able to immediately cover normal get up and roll get up, that's for sure.

I also have a question while we're on the ledge trump subject. After attempting a ledge trump, would it be practical to punish someone doing an instant get up attack by letting go of the ledge and u-airing? I usually go for b-air to punish ppl not avoiding ledge trumps, but I have no answers for someone who immediately does a normal get up or get up attack to avoid my ledge trumps.

snook

Smash Apprentice
Well, it's great to hear that there are a few ppl who are actively looking into her toolkit. I do agree that her moveset is kinda limited compared to the really good characters. But hey, doesn't hurt to continue looking, right?

Warp cancelling is a good tech, but it isn't a huge trump card for her, since it can be read by good players. I do think that normal teleports are underutilized tho, as you have told me in the past. Under the right conditions, it can allow Palutena to gain stage control without getting punished. It may be a lot better at getting Palu out of pressure than i originally thought.

Speaking of trump cards, though...

That's actually a really interesting idea. I never thought about using instant get up even for a moment lol. From what I know, though, instant ledge get up doesn't give her any I-frames, so she may sometimes get up faster from ledge only to get punished by someone who immediately inputted a get up attack lol. I could be wrong though, and it is an interesting idea. The instant ledge get up would be able to immediately cover normal get up and roll get up, that's for sure.

I also have a question while we're on the ledge trump subject. After attempting a ledge trump, would it be practical to punish someone doing an instant get up attack by letting go of the ledge and u-airing? I usually go for b-air to punish ppl not avoiding ledge trumps, but I have no answers for someone who immediately does a normal get up or get up attack to avoid my ledge trumps.

Yeah instant getup has no I-frames so can usually be punished if the opponent does getup attack as a buffered option so I guess doing this as a mixup for ledge trump really depends on how your opponent plays, if you notice them choosing to buffer roll or jump this mixup works pretty well. If they buffer getup attack more often you can always go for a real trump which should avoid the attack and give you enough time to possibly drop down up air (which is actually mentioned below in your question.)

I feel like it's hard to actually visualize instant getup out of a warp cancel so I'm just gonna put a crappy example I made when practicing.

Sorry for the poor quality.

When it comes to trumping you can't buffer a normal getup to my knowledge so trump should always work against that if you notice that's their preferred option. Only way they could get it is if you're trumping too late.
As for getup attack drop down jump Up air can work and it's usually the best possible punish if you have a read on it. But this can be risky if you miss because you'll most likely need to double grab the ledge putting you in disadvantage.

I find rolling to be the hardest thing to cover out of the buffered options to be honest and dealing with that really depends on who the opponent is playing and whether they choose a defensive option afterwards or offensive.

Edit:

Yo just gonna throw this in here too.
I'm actually wondering if Palu just has some weird properties with her jump at the ledge lol.
I'm getting extremely similar results on ledges whenever I jump at the exact right frame while moving slightly in the direction of the ledge I'm facing (moving around mid-slow walk speed.)
(In the above example I think I just did the slow walk without the jump to get back on but can't really remember. It happens way less often than instant getup after warp cancel so it could just be a glitch.)

I've just been calling it instant getup whenever I do it, due to it looking so similar, but could it be something else specific to her?
It works on platforms too after sliding off (either from rapid jabs or ledge canceling correctly) so I'm not really sure what to call it lol.

I know other characters can rapid jab and slip off the ledge too but never have seen people get back on stage that quickly and considering the same result can occur out of a ledge cancel starting to think it's Palu exclusive.

Just a random thought, maybe I'm just consistently getting glitches lol.

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Yeah instant getup has no I-frames so can usually be punished if the opponent does getup attack as a buffered option so I guess doing this as a mixup for ledge trump really depends on how your opponent plays, if you notice them choosing to buffer roll or jump this mixup works pretty well. If they buffer getup attack more often you can always go for a real trump which should avoid the attack and give you enough time to possibly drop down up air (which is actually mentioned below in your question.)

I feel like it's hard to actually visualize instant getup out of a warp cancel so I'm just gonna put a crappy example I made when practicing.

Sorry for the poor quality.

When it comes to trumping you can't buffer a normal getup to my knowledge so trump should always work against that if you notice that's their preferred option. Only way they could get it is if you're trumping too late.
As for getup attack drop down jump Up air can work and it's usually the best possible punish if you have a read on it. But this can be risky if you miss because you'll most likely need to double grab the ledge putting you in disadvantage.

I find rolling to be the hardest thing to cover out of the buffered options to be honest and dealing with that really depends on who the opponent is playing and whether they choose a defensive option afterwards or offensive.

Edit:

Yo just gonna throw this in here too.
I'm actually wondering if Palu just has some weird properties with her jump at the ledge lol.
I'm getting extremely similar results on ledges whenever I jump at the exact right frame while moving slightly in the direction of the ledge I'm facing (moving around mid-slow walk speed.)
(In the above example I think I just did the slow walk without the jump to get back on but can't really remember. It happens way less often than instant getup after warp cancel so it could just be a glitch.)

I've just been calling it instant getup whenever I do it, due to it looking so similar, but could it be something else specific to her?
It works on platforms too after sliding off (either from rapid jabs or ledge canceling correctly) so I'm not really sure what to call it lol.

I know other characters can rapid jab and slip off the ledge too but never have seen people get back on stage that quickly and considering the same result can occur out of a ledge cancel starting to think it's Palu exclusive.

Just a random thought, maybe I'm just consistently getting glitches lol.
Oh?

Will definitely have to lab this. I've never really looked into this, but is this on all stages, or just a select few?

snook

Smash Apprentice
So far I've been able to get it on Smashvile, town and city and battlefield.
Works on moving platforms too but not really sure how to execute it consistently on those.

As for normal ledges I find it works best out of a short hop warp to ledge cancel, holding down and towards the stage the instant after you input the direction of the warp.

Oddly enough if you use bidou controls it's slightly more consistent to pull off due to being able to perform the fast fall with c stick.
So the inputs with bidou would be :
Short hop Warp cancel -> start bidou by holding L (or whatever you set to special on your triggers) -> Hold towards the stage with normal stick, press down on c stick the instant you appear -> Jump at the right frame.

Doing it this way I got it a bit more often on the side I was struggling with but I don't think I'll bother learning bidou with Palu just for that use.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
So far I've been able to get it on Smashvile, town and city and battlefield.
Works on moving platforms too but not really sure how to execute it consistently on those.

As for normal ledges I find it works best out of a short hop warp to ledge cancel, holding down and towards the stage the instant after you input the direction of the warp.

Oddly enough if you use bidou controls it's slightly more consistent to pull off due to being able to perform the fast fall with c stick.
So the inputs with bidou would be :
Short hop Warp cancel -> start bidou by holding L (or whatever you set to special on your triggers) -> Hold towards the stage with normal stick, press down on c stick the instant you appear -> Jump at the right frame.

Doing it this way I got it a bit more often on the side I was struggling with but I don't think I'll bother learning bidou with Palu just for that use.
You know, when you were saying "Instant get up", I thought you were talking about that old ledge tech nobody uses lol. Imo, the thing you are doing isn't exactly the "instant ledge get up" we are all aware of. It just looks like Palu being super weird (as usual) lol.

Thanks for uploading the gifs. It's so weird, though. I never knew that Palu has that weird property with ledges. How do you exactly do this again? Anyways, now I know what you mean by how this can be used as a trick play on ledges. It could be really useful, considering how people will more than likely react to the warp before Palu goes (or at least, pretends to go) for the trump.

Again, I have never heard about or seen this before. This is news to me, honestly, and I seriously doubt that other characters have this weird ledge property with them. Thanks for letting us know that this exists. It definitely adds more options to Palu's playbook.

Edit: This isn't much, and it probably won't matter on the long run, but I think the "instant get up" is the same result of Palu's strange walking properties that also allow her to do "swagwalking". She is the only person who can swagwalk and do this "instant get up". I doubt the similarities are just coincidence.

Last edited:

snook

Smash Apprentice
You know, when you were saying "Instant get up", I thought you were talking about that old ledge tech nobody uses lol. Imo, the thing you are doing isn't exactly the "instant ledge get up" we are all aware of. It just looks like Palu being super weird (as usual) lol.

Thanks for uploading the gifs. It's so weird, though. I never knew that Palu has that weird property with ledges. How do you exactly do this again? Anyways, now I know what you mean by how this can be used as a trick play on ledges. It could be really useful, considering how people will more than likely react to the warp before Palu goes (or at least, pretends to go) for the trump.

Again, I have never heard about or seen this before. This is news to me, honestly, and I seriously doubt that other characters have this weird ledge property with them. Thanks for letting us know that this exists. It definitely adds more options to Palu's playbook.

Edit: This isn't much, and it probably won't matter on the long run, but I think the "instant get up" is the same result of Palu's strange walking properties that also allow her to do "swagwalking". She is the only person who can swagwalk and do this "instant get up". I doubt the similarities are just coincidence.
Hey I still try to use the actual instant getup from time to time lol.

But yeah as for how to do it, the only way I get it consistently is by short hopping, ledge canceling at pretty much max warp distance (so you get the longest slide at the end of the warp on the ground), and as soon as you slip off the ledge hold towards the stage and down. After this you just gotta jump at the right time and it should cancel the jump animation and go into the landing squat.

If you want to practice it you can also try doing it on battlefield by walking off either side platform and ledge canceling at the ledge closest to you and then performing the actions I said above.

Edit:

I can get it 100% of the time on 1/2 speed using that battlefield method. Road to consistency :)

You know what I just realised rather than calling this ledge cancel to instant get up it makes more sense to call it Ledge cancel to Jump Cancel or maybe Ledge slip to Jump Cancel.

Ok last edit for tonight.
I said hold down and towards the stage before but I'm actually getting better results just holding towards the stage, the only problem being if you take too long to jump you will grab ledge. This wouldn't happen if you held down like I was doing before but it also made it much harder to time.

Next for the actual timing I have some visual ques that might help. For lack of a better way of phrasing this, when you see Palu's butt just barely above the ledge that's the frame you jump at. I tried to see any particular visual ques once I got the timing down but that was the only one that stuck out for me lol.

For best results using battlefield method start off with 1/4 till you get it at least 3 or 4 times then move on to 1/2 and then normal speed (Just skip 2/3 I think it's gonna mess with your timing at normal speed in the long run.)

Will upload a clip once I actually pull it off outside of training mode.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Hey I still try to use the actual instant getup from time to time lol.

But yeah as for how to do it, the only way I get it consistently is by short hopping, ledge canceling at pretty much max warp distance (so you get the longest slide at the end of the warp on the ground), and as soon as you slip off the ledge hold towards the stage and down. After this you just gotta jump at the right time and it should cancel the jump animation and go into the landing squat.

If you want to practice it you can also try doing it on battlefield by walking off either side platform and ledge canceling at the ledge closest to you and then performing the actions I said above.

Edit:

I can get it 100% of the time on 1/2 speed using that battlefield method. Road to consistency :)

You know what I just realised rather than calling this ledge cancel to instant get up it makes more sense to call it Ledge cancel to Jump Cancel or maybe Ledge slip to Jump Cancel.

Ok last edit for tonight.
I said hold down and towards the stage before but I'm actually getting better results just holding towards the stage, the only problem being if you take too long to jump you will grab ledge. This wouldn't happen if you held down like I was doing before but it also made it much harder to time.

Next for the actual timing I have some visual ques that might help. For lack of a better way of phrasing this, when you see Palu's butt just barely above the ledge that's the frame you jump at. I tried to see any particular visual ques once I got the timing down but that was the only one that stuck out for me lol.

For best results using battlefield method start off with 1/4 till you get it at least 3 or 4 times then move on to 1/2 and then normal speed (Just skip 2/3 I think it's gonna mess with your timing at normal speed in the long run.)

Will upload a clip once I actually pull it off outside of training mode.
Seeing how you have to jump towards the ledge at a specific time, it DOES kinda look and sound like the instant ledge get up. As for the name, I think just "ledge slip" is most fitting for this tech lol.

But, seeing how you're getting consistent at this, i guess this tech isn't as impossible as the actual instant ledge get up. That's good, since it means that it can be used practically without TOO much risk of failing to pull it off.

Speaking of which, though, how did you even find this? As I said before, no Palu main I knew of ever mentioned about this. It's pretty amazing how you were the only one who knew of this.

snook

Smash Apprentice
I just lab a lot and always hypothesised the idea of being able to do any move out of ledge cancelling.
Before though, I assumed it was only possible on moving platforms as I got it kinda randomly one time on TnC.
Ever since then I've been trying to recreate the tech and only recently begun to get it.

And yeah there's not much risk if you mess up the tech, worst case scenario you grab ledge and might be in a disadvantageous position. I've been practising by performing the tech into F-smash and usually if I whiff it just does jump away F-air which isn't too bad.

Why other people haven't found it yet? I don't know maybe they have and just didn't say anything about it thinking it was a random glitch.
It is pretty obscure tbh though.

Here's how to do it easier on battlefield.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
I wonder if it's possible to efficiently use this tech and immediately dash. That would make punishing roll getups with u-smash more guaranteed. Otherwise, this tech seems to cover a lot of options. Of course, though, as you say, f-air would do well to punish things, even roll getups.

But, f-smash tho. That move is too unreliable for punishing get ups imo. You gotta be on point to land that dumb move on any moving foe with i-frames to the point where it physically hurts lol. Oh well, at least it's still stupidly strong af if you DO manage to sweetspot it. (I'm also secretly hoping for Palu's d-smash to be buffed someday so that it would be more efficient at covering situations like this :p)

Yeah, maybe you're right that the others who might have come across this tech doubted that it would serve any usefulness in the meta game. Or perhaps you're one of the few really creative Palu mains that can put the puzzle pieces together for the goddess in the current meta :v. I knew of two Palu mains who are really creative with Palu and are trying to push her meta in different ways. They really knew how to break out of the norm and discover/try out new things for her. Unfortunately, one of them more or less quit the game and the other is on an indefinite hiatus. I'm gonna flatter you for a moment, but it seems like you're just about as creative as they are, and I'm glad that someone as creative and imaginative as you are actively searching for ways to improve Palutena. Admittedly, that's a trait I really really wanted from the beginning of my Smash 4 career, but I just cannot grasp it for some strange reason. I guess I'm fated to be a boring-ass Palu trapped in a box :v.

Keep up the good work, man. I'm really interested in what you have to offer now (not that I wasn't interested before, but you know :v)

Last edited:

snook

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the kind words friendo, still just practising the inputs but also trying to do it mid match now with actual follow ups.
So far I'm only good at doing fsmash after it but I'm getting there!

Will show a little bit of the progress so far.
Btw really sorry for the awful quality lmao, got no other way of uploading stuff atm which kinda sucks but hopefully it's decent enough for you to see what I'm doing.

probably the cleanest I've ever done it on a platform.

Same concept but reacted a bit slower

Nothing special here but I wish I saw movement like this more often.

This was okish, no follow up just practice but I didn't space it very well.

ANNNND here's just some goofy thing she can do for whatever reason

I really hope I can have this tech ready for the next time I go to an event with a decent amount of entrants, just want to show off the more advanced stuff she can do :0.

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Don't mention it.

You got the tech down so well in the first gif. Smooth as hell.

And, looking at the rest of the gifs, I gotta say that this tech has a lot more potential than I thought. I should really try this out soon.

Man, if you get this down to the point where you do it consistently, that would be insane lol. Keep up the good work, man. I'll try to look into this myself as soon as I resume this game again.

Also, don't mind about uploading potato-quality stuff. It's definitely watchable and it's most definitely better than nothing.

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
Thanks for the kind words friendo, still just practising the inputs but also trying to do it mid match now with actual follow ups.
So far I'm only good at doing fsmash after it but I'm getting there!

Will show a little bit of the progress so far.
Btw really sorry for the awful quality lmao, got no other way of uploading stuff atm which kinda sucks but hopefully it's decent enough for you to see what I'm doing.

probably the cleanest I've ever done it on a platform.

Same concept but reacted a bit slower

Nothing special here but I wish I saw movement like this more often.

This was okish, no follow up just practice but I didn't space it very well.

ANNNND here's just some goofy thing she can do for whatever reason

I really hope I can have this tech ready for the next time I go to an event with a decent amount of entrants, just want to show off the more advanced stuff she can do :0.
"probably the cleanest I've ever done it on a platform"

That's very interesting! I knew you could do those on solid stages, but not on platforms.

"Nothing special here but I wish I saw movement like this more often"

That is exactly why Battlefield and Smashvile are my top two picks at my local tourney. The amount of movement those stages give is amazing. Plus on Smashvile, that moving platform gives Pally a confirmed kill throw if the platform is moving in the direction Pally is facing while doing down throw.

Nice to see others making use of these things. Keep it up.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Well, Christmas Eve is coming to an end.

It's been a funky year. I hope you guys finish the day on a positive note. Especially you two, snook and kmpyj. As someone who doesn't really use discord, I gotta say, it's gotten really quiet here ever since Discord took over lol, but talking to a few still on here was great.

Here's hoping the board kinda revives in the future, but it was still pretty fun talking to you guys lol.

snook

Smash Apprentice
Honestly if you want people to actively discuss things with, joining the discord group would be a good idea.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Honestly if you want people to actively discuss things with, joining the discord group would be a good idea.
Eh, I have my reasons for not joining the discord group. I was actually a part of it for nearly a year before leaving. In fact, I was a mod lol.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I'm unsure which thread is best to ask this, but I think here is a safe bet.

I've got a tournament on Saturday, and by now I know my pool, and there is a very skilled Palutena in there (PR'd player in my region). The problem is, I know nothing about the Palutena MU... with any character.

When playing seriously, I use Rosalina, Marth, Bayonetta and ZSS, but my ZSS in general is still a W.I.P., so "competitively" or in tournament, I use the first 3, so I'm most likely going to be using one of those (or a few, should the situation call for it).

With that in mind, could I have some MU advice please?

Not limited to just these questions (as any more advice would be MUCH appreciated), but here are a few things I am wondering:

• Which of those characters would be best to use?
  • Could anybody explain briefly about those character's (even ZSS, it would be helpful for my development with her) MU's with Palutena (do they win or lose etc, and why)?
  • Is there anything I should be doing against her?
  • What should I be looking out for?
  • Anything I shouldn't be doing?
  • Any particular notes about her (like, some characters you can completely break them by simply DI'ing a certain way for example)?
Thanks to anybody who can help in advance!

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210

I've got a tournament on Saturday, and by now I know my pool, and there is a very skilled Palutena in there (PR'd player in my region). The problem is, I know nothing about the Palutena MU... with any character.

When playing seriously, I use Rosalina, Marth, Bayonetta and ZSS, but my ZSS in general is still a W.I.P., so "competitively" or in tournament, I use the first 3, so I'm most likely going to be using one of those (or a few, should the situation call for it).

Not limited to just these questions (as any more advice would be MUCH appreciated), but here are a few things I am wondering:

• Could anybody explain briefly about those character's (even ZSS, it would be helpful for my development with her) MU's with Palutena (do they win or lose etc, and why)?
  • Any particular notes about her (like, some characters you can completely break them by simply DI'ing a certain way for example)?
I don't mind helping with this. But first let me give a little preface about this character. Palutena is a character with a very strong defensive gameplay style, so most Pally players are going to play with that in mind. They use that strong defense as an offense by baiting out attacks, and trying to go for hard reads and punishes. However, she is a very slow fighter (fighting wise), and struggles with kill options. But she makes up for it with fast mobility, and of course the defensive style that I mentioned. With that said, lets dive in.

"What should I be looking out for?" / "Anything I shouldn't be doing?"
I think it'd be best to start with these since it could paint a clear picture on who you should use. The top most used moves by Palutena's of all skill levels is Jab 1, Fair, Bair, Uair, Nair, Dash Attack, Grab.

Jab 1: Jab 1 comes out very quick, and is almost a must use for Palutena players. If you get hit by it, DON'T air dodge unless you are jumping after getting hit. It happens so quick that most people either don't think about it, or assume Palutena can't do anything out of it, but SHE CAN! From Jab, she could go for Smash attack, a dash attack, an aerial (if the percent is high), or (and the most common one) a grab. The best way to handle this is to jump after getting hit by it, and then air dodge, or pull out a very fast, but safe attack.

Fair: I put forward air on here because I promise you, you won't go through a match without seeing this at least 20 times. Startup is quick, has very little landing land, and is a good spacing tool. From a short hop, it can true combo into Jab, which can lead to all the other mixup options I mentioned above.

Bair and Dash Attack: Alright this is definitely something you NEED to look out for. Both of these moves have shield frames on them, which means most if not all of your attacks would lose to these moves. You won't see a Palutena player use Dash Attack as much as you will see Bair. Bair is a more safer option that basically does the same thing Dash Attack does. Only difference, Bair does more damage with less knockback, and Dash Attack does less damage with more knockback.

Uair: If Palutena has rage, and you are at 65% or above and get hit by this move, pray! It has stupid knockback, and is Palutena's most strongest kill move IMO. It's easier to connect than her Smash Attacks, and is usually safe to use if the Palutena player is in the air long enough. It has a long lasting hitbox, and a weird final hit that expands that hitbox. It looks so stupid it's laughable. Even If Palutena misses the first few hits, all you see is this little "pop" and it sends the opponent off. If you're in the air, most moves can't beat it, so it's best to avoid it entirely. I know there are a few characters who can beat the move, but I forgot who. To make up for how strong this move is, it has incredible landing land. So if a Palutena player tries this on you and completely misses, they are wide open (as a matter of fact, a lot of Palutena's moves are like that). However there is one way to get past that endlag, and that is if the Palutena player uses Fair before touching the ground. It's weird, but it's a way to avoid the endlag.

Nair: This move has very quick start up, and is one of Palutena's strong edge tools. A Palutena player might use this move when your off stage to gimp you, or stage spike you. It can also true combo into Uair or Fair at early percents.

Lastly, her Grab: You are looking at the number one most used move by Palutena players. Expect to see this a lot. Down Throw is the BnB for Palutena players, and it also has 2 true kill combos. First is DThrow into Uair, and the other is DThrow into Bair. DThrow into Bair works if you DI directly away from Palutena. An example of this is when Prince Ramen played against ZeRo. The correct DI is diagonally up and away from Palutena. She can't land Uair, and Bair becomes a struggle to land.

"Could anybody explain briefly about those character's MU's with Palutena?"
Palutena > or = Marth: The reason why I say this is because a lot of the moves Marth has Palutena can beat out. But it's not completely in her favor though. Marth can out-reach her in some cases with proper spacing, which is something Marth is very good at.

Palutena < or = ZSS: ZSS is very strong, and Palutena isn't an aggressive fighter. She struggles greatly with characters that can fight fast. Despite this, similar to Marth, it's not entirely in ZSS's favor though, due to some moves being beat out. I would only use ZSS Neutral B when Palutena is off stage. Reflect is really slow, so a seasoned Palutena player probably won't try to reflect it off stage. At distances, try using ZSS's air grapple move. Doing this will keep pressure on Palutena, and may keep the player out the air, or from thinking about using Auto Reticle.

Palutena > Bayonetta: Based off of everything I mentioned above, Bayonetta would be the worst to use out of the four due to a lot of moves Palutena has that would beat out Bayonetta's moves. Palutena is a reaction based character, and one of the ways to deal with Bayonetta is patience, and good reads. This is something most Palutena players would be prepared for. Bair would be used a lot in this match, and forget witch time because most Palutena players would be going for a grab anyway. Side B loses to Bair, Dair loses to Uair, and Neutral B can be reflected. Coming back to the stage, Palutena could use Nair or even Up Smash in some cases.

Palutena < Rosalina: Where do I even begin. Rosalina is super light, which kills most of Palutena's kill options, and Luma just blocks everything. This MU IMO opinion is one of Palutena's worst match ups. Almost all of Rosalina's moves out-reaches Palutena's moves, and Luma is.......well.....Luma.

"Which of those characters would be best to use?"
With all that said, Rosalina, by a landslide. If for whatever reason Rosalina doesn't work, use ZSS. If ZSS doesn't work, use Marth.

Some additional notes to mention:

Palutena's Side B (Reflect) is unblockable, and can kill people off stage by pushing them away from the ledge.
Example (the kill use): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXsoXlhp80o @1:32

Palutena can also warp cancel. Not sure if your tourney does stage bans or strikes while selecting stages, but you might want to strike off stages like Battlefield or Smashvile. Try picking stages with the least amount of platforms. This will by definition, restrict Palutena's movement options greatly.

But even on FD, look out for things like this:

Smash attacks are very slow, but hit very hard. FSmash and DSmash both have wind boxes on them, and USmash might be used if the Palutena player thinks it's safe. USmash can also hit you on ledge so be careful.

And don't worry about tilts, I promise you won't see those. Out of the 3, DTilt is pretty good, but I don't see many Pallys use it. It can also gimp people on ledge. UTilt wouldn't be such a bad move if the endlag wasn't bad. It can kill at high percents though. And if you ever see STilt, I guarantee you it was an accident.

Sorry this is too long, I know you wanted this to be explained briefly, but this was the best I could do at taking a stab at it. I hope this helps any, and good luck at your tournament!!

Also, if it helps, I made a Palutena guide video a year ago, and put my foot in it. It mostly covers everything I just said, but more in depth and with demonstration. Towards the end of the video, I also showcased some combos she is capable of.

Guide Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srHs0E6NZBw&t=1s

Last edited:

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario

Seems like kmpyj got the in-depth answer covered.

Obviously, the best method to get used to the MU is to practice with a Palu player. I'll still give you some of my thoughts, tho:

Of the four characters you mentioned, I'd honestly say ZSS does best against Palu, considering how Palu just struggles against fast-falling rush-downers in general. However, I do not recommend using her if your ZSS is still a WIP.

The other three characters you mentioned all do even/well against Palu. None of them have a clear-cut advantage, however, so you just have to go with the character you're most comfortable with.

In truth, none of the characters you listed lose any options in this MU. All that can be really said is:
-Careful not to directly challenge b-air and dash attack (careful of dash attack when landing, especially, since it grants her i-frames).
-Careful not to challenge her shield too much (or get shield grabbed).
-Palu's range is deceptively long, even her jab. Careful when you're micro-spacing.
-Generally, you should just DI away from all of her attacks, even d-throw.
-Her warp can be very tricky, but that's it. Don't let it scare you if your opponent starts doing crazy junk with it.

Just keep these five things in mind and you should be good to go. Don't confuse yourself with other smaller things for now and just go for it in the tourney.

If anything, she's a bit similar to Marth. If you're having trouble grasping Palu's nature, just think of her as Marth.

Keep it simple, and good luck.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I honestly couldn't have asked for nicer, knowledge rich answers. The longer the better!

I sometimes feel a little awkward coming out of the usual character boards I linger about in; some of them can be quite nasty, and I really appreciate the kind, helpful responses.

kmpyj kmpyj and sjb.dario sjb.dario , thank you both!

And I appreciate the best wishes for the tournament, I'm going to need it, lmao!

So then, in regards to Dthrow kill confirms, is away DI the best, or is it diagonally up + away?

Last edited:

kmpyj

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kmpyj1
3DS FC
1032-1329-6718
Switch FC
SW-4997-6150-9210
I honestly couldn't have asked for nicer, knowledge rich answers. The longer the better!

I sometimes feel a little awkward coming out of the usual character boards I linger about in; some of them can be quite nasty, and I really appreciate the kind, helpful responses.

kmpyj kmpyj and sjb.dario sjb.dario , thank you both!

And I appreciate the best wishes for the tournament, I'm going to need it, lmao!

So then, in regards to Dthrow kill confirms, is away DI the best, or is it diagonally up + away?
No problem. Always glad to help!

In my experience, DI diagonally up and away would be best to avoid Uair and Bair. Away would just set you up for Bair/Fair (maybe Dash attack too, but I haven't tried it), and no DI at all would set you up for Uair. If you use Rosalina, escaping DThrow kill confirms should be easy due to the lightweight + DI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom