• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mipha, Champion of the Zoras, for Smash Switch

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
HW always had a "consolation prize" feel to it in regard to Zelda reps. Now it's doing it again for the Champions.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
If Mipha gets revealed for Smash do you think we'll get a new Mipha amiibo or will they stick with the BotW amiibo (which gets a reprint due to the BotW prequel) and don't offer a new Smash one for the first time ever?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If Mipha gets revealed for Smash do you think we'll get a new Mipha amiibo or will they stick with the BotW amiibo (which gets a reprint due to the BotW prequel) and don't offer a new Smash one for the first time ever?
i imagine we'll get a new one. itd be daft for her to be the only one not to. especially after isabelle, inkling, young link all got them

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Mipha was the first Champion they covered in today's trailer. Makes me think the Zora are one of the first parts of the game, or at the very least intended to be one of the first parts like they were in BotW. That would help Mipha if true.

Zangiefsthighs

Smash Cadet
If I had to go for a new zelda rep it would be skull kid all the way, he would be awesome.
Even if we narrowed it down to BotW reps I'd go Revali, Mipha just felt bland to me.
I'm not tryna say you're wrong BTW, just stating my opinion

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sidon was pretty much a lock from the beginning. The guy is way too popular.

Plus, I'm pretty sure just about every Zora who's present in this game was also alive in BotW. It'd be a wasted opportunity to not take advantage of that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sidon was pretty much a lock from the beginning. The guy is way too popular.

Plus, I'm pretty sure just about every Zora who's present in this game was also alive in BotW. It'd be a wasted opportunity to not take advantage of that.
well they werent all alive

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
I love the way nintendo is promoting the Zelda characters. I am glad that they change the focus to only link like in the previous games, I mean I know it is AoC and need this kind of promotion but I feel like Nintendo is getting the love from the fans and is paying some attention. Btm I am all in with Mipha in Smash

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
While we're waiting for AoC, here's my ideal moveset for Mipha:
STANDARD SPECIAL - "Mipha's Grace"
This is different from other Counter specials; instad of attacking, it heals 50% of the damage she would've received. The weakness to this is unlike other counter moves, she's still left open to attack even if the healing is triggered, meaning a rapid/combo attack could suppress her own counter. Mipha's Grace is better suited for one-hit attacks like Ganondorf's Warlock Punch.

SIDE SPECIAL - "Trident Toss"/"Double Cutter"
She'll throw her trident forward. Holding Side B will charge her attack. The longer she charges, the farther her trident will go and the more damage and knockback it can cause. One unique thing about this is after throwing her trident, she'll have to go get it back herself wherever it lands on. If the trident goes past the KO zone, it won't come back for 30 seconds. When she's without her trident, she'll use her fins as substitute. They have a shorter range and can't do as much damage and knockback as the trident, but she can use her fins like boomerangs for the Side B. She'll also use different taunts and idling animations.

UP SPECIAL - "Waterfall Climber"
This is kinda similar to Squirtle's Waterfall, but not quite. Unlike Squirtle who goes a diagonal distance, Mipha's is far more vertical. She'll swim upward and jump up at the end. This up special gets the fighter helpless in the air after use.

DOWN SPECIAL - "Cryonis"
She'll summon an ice block from the ground. As it raises up, it can hit opponents with small damage and knockback. If appearing from water, the damage and knockback rate is 2x greater and can freeze opponents. Afterwards, the ice block can be used as either a shield or a platform. However, it only lasts for 5 seconds and enough attack power can destroy it. In addition to the fact that only one ice block can be out at a time, she'll have to wait 10 seconds (complete with Cryonis' charging sprite) to create another block after a previous one disappears.

FINAL SMASH - "Vah Ruta"
She'll shout "I'm sorry!" as she summons a sphere of water in front of her. Anyone caught in the sphere will be victims of her ultimate weapon. A cutscene follows with her inside Vah Ruta saying "My opportunity has arrived!" before a full shot of Vah Ruta itself. It then fires the ice missiles at the water sphere causing damage to the opponents. The sphere freezes. Finally, Vah Ruta swings its trunk upward crushing the frozen sphere and knocking back all of those who were trapped inside.

HOME STAGE - "Zora's Domain"
In Zora's Domain, it seems hazardless until heavy rain comes (making the floors slippery) and the water below floods the domain. The fighters will then have to fight on floating slippery logs. The high tides are based on historic facts according to the Zora Stone monuments, the Zora river flooded every 10 years. Eventually, the tides go low again starting the stage routine all over again.

VICTORY THEME
Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Theme Snippet (Link would also get this from the version Mipha would be first available in onward)

KIRBY HAT
Mipha's head

OTHERS
Dashing and air speeds are approximately similar to Mewtwo
Medium power (low with her fins)
Long range (mid-low with her fins)
Can walljump (creates small splashes for detail purposes)
Cannot crawl
Can swim longer than others, even with higher damage. (Instead of panicking, she'll look tired as she gets closer to drowning)
Electric attacks' damage and knockback are twice as effective on Mipha than any other fighter

QUOTES
"There!" (Mipha's Grace On Occasion)
"Cryonis!" (Cryonis On Occasion)
"I'm sorry!" (Final Smash Part 1)
"Vah Ruta, give me your power!" (Final Smash Part 2)
"I fight for peace." (Taunt 1)
"I will not fail!" (Taunt 2)
"Are you alright?" (Taunt 3)
"It is my pleasure." (Victory 1)
"My duty has been fulfilled." (Victory 2)
"I hope I didn't hurt you too badly." (Victory 3)
"Please, forgive me, Link." (Victory Against Link)
"This cannot be..." (Blast KO On Occasion )

CLASSIC MODE ROUTE (Aquatic Aid)
Each stage aside the bonus one contains a stage with swimmable water (except for the boss) as well as an ally which references the fact that Mipha aids her friends.
1. ALLY: Mario ENEMY: Bowser/Bowser Jr. (Delfino Plaza - Island Area)
2. ALLY: Young Link ENEMY: Dark Young Link/Mii Brawler (Skull Kid) (Great Bay)
3. ALLY: Donkey Kong/Diddy Kong ENEMY: Giant King K. Rool (Jungle Japes)
4. ALLY: Toon Link ENEMY: Tiny Dark Toon Link (x4) (Pirate Ship)
5. ALLY: Ice Climbers ENEMY: Giant White Donkey Kong (Summit - Water Area)
6. ALLY: Link ENEMY: Dark Link (x2)-Ganondorf (Zora's Domain)
7. Bonus Stage
8. ALLY: Link ENEMY: Ganon

THEMED TOURNEY (Wet N' Wild)
Only fighters with water moves and stage with swimmable water are allowed.

Fighters:
Mario
Villager
Greninja
Pac-Man
Corrin
Isabelle
Mipha

Stages:
Jungle Japes
Great Bay
Delfino Plaza
Summit
Pirate Ship
Tortimer Island
Wuhu Island
Midgar
Zora's Domain

Updated on 11/17

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not that this should really be taken seriously, but they've been featuring a character every day on NoA's Twitter account. Mipha currently has the most likes, and that's more than other popular characters like Urbosa and Impa.

Just more evidence that Mipha is the most popular Champion, which may help her if Sakurai had to choose one Champion for Smash.

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
We may get a Smash teaser in The Game Awards hinting that one of the Champions would be playable, similar to the Arms in Smash teaser.
Or we'll fully know who is next.
...Or nothing Smash related.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We may get a Smash teaser in The Game Awards hinting that one of the Champions would be playable, similar to the Arms in Smash teaser.
Or we'll fully know who is next.
...Or nothing Smash related.
my moneys on the last option

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
This is different from other Counter specials; instad of attacking, it heals 50% of the damage she would've received. The weakness to this is unlike other counter moves, she's still left open to attack even if the healing is triggered, meaning a rapid/combo attack could suppress her own counter. Mipha's Grace is better suited for one-hit attacks like Ganondorf's Warlock Punch.

She'll throw her trident forward. Holding Side B will charge her attack. The longer she charges, the farther her trident will go and the more damage and knockback it can cause. One unique thing about this is after throwing her trident, she'll have to go get it back herself wherever it lands on. If the trident goes past the KO zone, it won't come back for 30 seconds. When she's without her trident, she'll use her fins as substitute. They have a shorter range and can't do as much damage and knockback as the trident, but she can use her fins like boomerangs for the Side B. She'll also use different taunts and idling animations.

This is kinda similar to Squirtle's Waterfall, but not quite. Unlike Squirtle who goes a diagonal distance, Mipha's is far more vertical. She'll swim upward and jump up at the end. This up special gets the fighter helpless in the air after use.

DOWN SPECIAL - "Cryonis"
She'll summon an ice block from the ground. As it raises up, it can hit opponents with small damage and knockback. If appearing from water, the damage and knockback rate is 2x greater and can freeze opponents. Afterwards, the ice block can be used as either a shield or a platform. However, it only lasts for 5 seconds and enough attack power can destroy it. In addition to the fact that only one ice block can be out at a time, she'll have to wait 10 seconds (complete with Cryonis' charging sprite) to create another block after a previous one disappears.

FINAL SMASH - "Vah Ruta"
She'll shout "I'm sorry!" as she summons a sphere of water in front of her. Anyone caught in the sphere will be victims of her ultimate weapon. A cutscene follows with her inside Vah Ruta saying "My opportunity has arrived!" before a full shot of Vah Ruta itself. It then fires the ice missiles at the water sphere causing damage to the opponents. The sphere freezes. Finally, Vah Ruta swings its trunk upward crushing the frozen sphere and knocking back all of those who were trapped inside.

In Zora's Domain, it seems hazardless until heavy rain comes (making the floors slippery) and the water below floods the domain. The fighters will then have to fight on floating slippery logs. The high tides are based on historic facts according to the Zora Stone monuments, the Zora river flooded every 10 years. Eventually, the tides go low again starting the stage routine all over again.

VICTORY THEME
Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild Theme Snippet (Link would also get this from the version Mipha would be first available in onward)

KIRBY HAT
Mipha's head

OTHERS
Cannot crawl
Can swim longer than others, even with higher damage. (Instead of panicking, she'll look tired as she gets closer to drowning)
Electric attacks' damage and knockback are twice as effective on Mipha than any other fighter

QUOTES

Each stage aside the bonus one contains a stage with swimmable water (except for the boss) as well as an ally which references the fact that Mipha aids her friends.
7. Bonus Stage

Fighters:
Mario
Villager
Greninja
Pac-Man
Corrin
Isabelle
Mipha

Stages:
Jungle Japes
Great Bay
Delfino Plaza
Summit
Pirate Ship
Tortimer Island
Wuhu Island
Midgar
Zora's Domain

Updated on 11/17
One additional thing I added to the moveset.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace

DOWN SPECIAL - "Cryonis"

FINAL SMASH - "Vah Ruta"

VICTORY THEME

KIRBY HAT
Mipha's head

OTHERS
Cannot crawl

QUOTES

7. Bonus Stage

Fighters:
Mario
Villager
Greninja
Pac-Man
Corrin
Isabelle
Mipha

Stages:
Jungle Japes
Great Bay
Delfino Plaza
Summit
Pirate Ship
Tortimer Island
Wuhu Island
Midgar
Zora's Domain

Updated on 11/17
One additional thing I added to the moveset.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Oh my, I accidentally posted the same post twice. Can you please remove one of them plus this one?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Bit of a spoiler, but there was something I wanted to say about one of the "surprise" playable characters.

I love how Sidon's special ability is literally his enthusiasm and positivity powering up his attacks. His trademark smile can also stun small opponents.

I don't know who designed Sidon's moveset, but they deserve a raise.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mipha was the first Champion they covered in today's trailer. Makes me think the Zora are one of the first parts of the game, or at the very least intended to be one of the first parts like they were in BotW. That would help Mipha if true.
Not really if you're talking about her chances for Smash. Being in a early part of the game doesn't necessarily show a sign of major importance.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Considering we're getting a Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity spirit event this week (with Impa, small guardian and Master Kogha) do you think this seals the fate of Mipha? Unless she somehow plays a role in Breath of the Wild 2 (which I doubt), I fear this might be it, no Mipha in Smash :/

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Considering we're getting a Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity spirit event this week (with Impa, small guardian and Master Kogha) do you think this seals the fate of Mipha? Unless she somehow plays a role in Breath of the Wild 2 (which I doubt), I fear this might be it, no Mipha in Smash :/
It might have decreased the chances of Mipha or any of the other Champions, but I don't think their entirely out because of this event. BOTW2 is still on the horizon and if one of the Champions is in the Fighter's Pass before BOTW2 than they could just use the BOTW Spirits for their Spirit board like how Min Min's Spirit board reused most of the base game Arms' Spirits.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A certain rumor/leak seems to be gaining some traction.

We'll see how it pans out so watch this space.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
i always find it hard to trust rumour that match up to exactly what fans say should happen
Indeed but we've got so many fan wanted characters and only two slots left so it could go any way really.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I know it was a highly unlikely option- but I really think Sakurai dropped the ball a bit by not adding Urbosa, Daruk, Revali, and Mipha as four separate characters in the base game. It would have completely satisfied so many boxes:
  • Number of unique Zelda characters
  • Fleshing out the World of Hyrule, in playstyle and species
  • It would showcase new Switch characters
  • Breath of the Wild was a huge monument.

I know we got fewer new characters this game in the base- but we have gotten four newcomers from series before- most notably Pokemon (which had four unique newcomers in Brawl), and the Mario and Fire Emblem- who met the 4 mark, though a couple were absolutely echoes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The good news is that BotW2 seems to reuse the same map, so it's highly likely that we'll interact with the descendants and the other characters who are still alive. Who knows? We might even see the Champions once more. There might be more to their story than we think.

Either way, I don't think this was their only shot. BotW will always be a massive success, and we have a sequel coming up that could possibly extend the relevancy of the Champions. If the next Smash game starts development in about three or four years, timing will be perfect for a BotW2 rep.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really don't see why only one of the Champions would be chosen over another. It would be perfectly odd. This doesn't mean none of them will happen- just that I would prefer an entirely different Hyrule character, if not all four, separately. I stand by my choice of Lynel- an original villain, who is the actual boss character of BotW.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
According to rumors, it's unlikely we get any major news on BOTW2 (or any Zelda game) plus I think it's kinda early to reveal the details on the 2nd wave which won't be until November (The 1st wave's details weren't truly unveiled until the month it was released). Perhaps the CP11 character for Smash being the BOTW Champions will make up for this.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My new desire is my old desire- that we actually get all four champions as separate characters.

Top Bottom