• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mipha, Champion of the Zoras, for Smash Switch

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I definitely support the idea of her being an Assist Trophy, or a Spirit.
Too soon to be a fighter, I think.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I definitely support the idea of her being an Assist Trophy, or a Spirit.
Too soon to be a fighter, I think.
If she doesn't get in now, it'll probably be too late. Just like Pokemon and FE, LoZ has a cast that constantly rotates. There's no reason in waiting to add Mipha in Smash 6 because the next Zelda game will likely introduce us to a new cast of characters; characters who would instantly be more relevant than any of the Champions.

We're quickly approaching the two-year anniversary of BotW. I think more than enough time has passed for Mipha to set in.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We're seeing a lot of new Spirits today, including BotW Zelda, BWD, and Elma as some of the more notable ones.

Keep an eye out for Mipha. We know more than 500 Spirits so far, but we still haven't seen her yet. I'm pretty sure it's a weird coincidence, but her absence is something for us to hope for regardless.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Still nothing new regarding Mipha?
We should keep an eye on the music as welll: So far neither Mipha's Theme nor a Champion Theme Medley has been heard, even though many matches were played on the BotW-stage. Also no Vah Ruta Battle theme so far (arguably this would be a very fitting theme for Smash). On the one hand I really do want those songs in Smash, but on the other hand, if none of these tracks are in the base game, this really gives me a lot of hope... if Mipha really is a DLC-fighter, Nintendo might have saved those tracks for later. Thus the abscence of any Mipha/champion related song is another good sign imo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We should keep an eye on the music as welll: So far neither Mipha's Theme nor a Champion Theme Medley has been heard, even though many matches were played on the BotW-stage. Also no Vah Ruta Battle theme so far (arguably this would be a very fitting theme for Smash). On the one hand I really do want those songs in Smash, but on the other hand, if none of these tracks are in the base game, this really gives me a lot of hope... if Mipha really is a DLC-fighter, Nintendo might have saved those tracks for later. Thus the abscence of any Mipha/champion related song is another good sign imo.
well last time we only two SS tracks on the SS stage one of which was attached to a remix of the first one so it wouldnt surprise me if there was only the one botw track

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As other people have been saying, Mipha is strangely the only Champion not seen yet. I wouldn't get my hopes too high but it's definitely strange since we're now past the 600 mark.
I've counted more than 625 Spirits from watching videos (Gamexplain was a good starting point) and still no Mipha.

Again, I wouldn't get my hopes too high since Mipha missing could potentially be a huge giveaway for her addition as DLC. I do think she'll end up being a Spirit eventually. Still, the fact that we've seen so many other notable Zelda characters makes it weird that Mipha hasn't been spotted yet (Plus, we already have Ruto and a generic OoT Zora). Knowing the final number of Spirits would really help. If there's 800 or less, I think we might actually be on to something. Any number higher than that, and I'd recommend waiting a little longer. Maybe Mipha is just one of the last few we haven't seen.

And here's the list of BotW characters we have so far:
- Bokoblin
- Gaurdian
- Zelda (BotW)
- Revali
- Daruk
- Urbosa
- Calamity Ganon

well last time we only two SS tracks on the SS stage one of which was attached to a remix of the first one so it wouldnt surprise me if there was only the one botw track
As of now, we have the 2017 presentation theme, main theme (remix), and Kass's theme (remix).

Considering how BotW has a pretty small selection compared to other Zelda games, this isn't too bad. Of course, there's still room for more. Su/Mo doesn't even have a stage, and I think it's up to about six remixes so far.

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Really loving the optimism regarding Mipha, I'm surprised the champion themes haven't even show up yet, I really want a remix with all the themes mashed together, here's to hoping.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I just found a video with very interesting statements from the Voice Actress of Mipha (Amelia Gotham), the Voice Actor of Revali (Sean Chiplock) and the Voice Actor of Daruk (Joe Hernandez) regarding Smash Bros:

Sean/Revali: "If Revali shows up [in Smash Bros] either as an assist trophy or as a playable character, which isn't likely, but if he does, I am gonna raffle off 20 copies of Smash Bros for Switch and if Revali is a playable character, I am also gonna raffle off a Nintendo Switch! - So I am hoping but also not hoping"
You just gotta love this guy xD

Joe/Daruk: It would be insanely cool to be attached not only to The Legend of Zelda, but also to the Smash Brothers franchise as well. (…) I don't know how likely they are to add these characters."

Amelia/Mipha: "I would be thrilled to be part of something like that"
She doesn't seem to know much about Smash, but it's nice to hear that she would love to see (and voice) Mipha in Smash.

And here another great part of the video:
55:30
Revali/Sean: "I can't wait to talk to you again once they announce the champions for Smash wink wink"
Mipha/Amelia: "Yes, for sure!"

It's so nice to hear how the voice actors of Breath of the Wild openly propose the champions for Smash Bros. This video was from March 2018 and who knows, maybe Amelia is currently working on those sweet voicelines for Mipha in Smash;)
All 4 champions in Smash (as Sean suggested) would be even better, but at this point I think Mipha as a standalone fighter is the most likely Option. And if she makes it into Smash, maybe the other champions also have cameo appearances (either on the stage, in Mipha's Ultrasmash or in her victory animation) with new voicelines.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Apparently Hyrule Castle (<3) and Final Boss Ganon are the only new songs (besides Main Theme, Trailer Theme and Kass Theme) from Breath of the Wild. Not a single champion theme. I take this as a good sign.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Apparently Hyrule Castle (<3) and Final Boss Ganon are the only new songs (besides Main Theme, Trailer Theme and Kass Theme) from Breath of the Wild. Not a single champion theme. I take this as a good sign.
The only downside to this is that we have 5-6 BotW songs now. The fact that we have so many makes me a little worried that there aren't any plans to include more in a future update (DLC). Though, I suppose a second BotW stage wouldn't need music exclusively from that game. They could always flesh it out with music from other Zelda games.

In other news, we're just a few Spirits shy of reaching 700 known Spirits, and Mipha is still missing. If we assume most characters and Echoes get a Fighter Spirit, then the number might actually be closer to 750-775.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Cosmic77 Cosmic77
There is a whole lot music they could add if Mipha is a DLC fighter, for instance:

• Mipha's Theme
  • Sidon's Theme
  • Life in the Ruins / Daruk's Theme
  • Champion Theme Medley (Kass version)
  • Champion Theme Medley (Remix)
  • Champion Ballad
  • Vah Ruta Dungeon Theme
  • Attack on Vah Ruta
  • Attack on Vah Medoh
  • Zora's Domain
  • Rito Village
  • Hateno Village
  • Monk Maz Koshia
  • Blight Ganon
  • Molduga Battle
  • Guardian Battle (Remix)
  • Parasailing

I don't think 5 songs are that many, considering the amount of stellar songs in Breath of the Wild.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Cosmic77 Cosmic77
There is a whole lot music they could add if Mipha is a DLC fighter, for instance:

• Mipha's Theme
  • Sidon's Theme
  • Life in the Ruins / Daruk's Theme
  • Champion Theme Medley (Kass version)
  • Champion Theme Medley (Remix)
  • Champion Ballad
  • Vah Ruta Dungeon Theme
  • Attack on Vah Ruta
  • Attack on Vah Medoh
  • Zora's Domain
  • Rito Village
  • Hateno Village
  • Monk Maz Koshia
  • Blight Ganon
  • Molduga Battle
  • Guardian Battle (Remix)
  • Parasailing

I don't think 5 songs are that many, considering the amount of stellar songs in Breath of the Wild.
Maybe. It's just unusual for us to get so many songs from a single game. I mean, if there was ever a game that deserved that many songs, it's definitely BotW. Though I'm not sure how likely it is to happen. Depending on how you look at things, this could be a pro or a con for Mipha and the other Champions.

Side note, I don't think we know for certain that each new stage is getting exactly 5 new songs. I think people just misinterpreted the information. We could get more or less than that number.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Since people are currently datamining the game, we'll probably soon know all spirits. This is it folks... if Mipha is still no spirit, then this is huge evidence.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Mipha is a Spirit:
https://pastebin.com/NCi8Af0N

Huge bummer...
Well, it would've been too obvious anyways to put in all champions as spirits except for Mipha. Let's just hope spirits don't deconfirm characters.
That's what I was expecting. Definitely gives Mipha less of an advantage over the other Champions, but I feel like our chances are still good. Seems like every notable Nintendo character (bar Piranha Plant, which is disappointing because that would really help our case) is a Spirit too. Everyone is in the same boat as us.

Unless literally every addition to the roster is third-party, a BotW rep is in a pretty good position. Out biggest competition, Rex and Spring Man, are seemingly deconfirmed, meaning that the options from existing Switch games are pretty limited. We also have characters from upcoming games, but if Rex couldn't make it in because he came too late, then I wouldn't feel comfortable assuming anything from Gen VIII, MP4, or Three Houses is "basically confirmed".

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Well there is Sylux, who doesn't have a spirit. I don't know how likely it is to get 3 new Metroid reps in just one game, but who knows, maybe Nintendo wants to promote Metroid Prime 4. But apart from him there is hardly any major 1st party character left.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
On the one hand I am happy that Joker got in, since I think he is a great addition to the roster. On the other hand, I am sad that Mipha's chances have shrunk immensely. Reggie more or less said the DLC fighters will be unexpected fighters from franchises that aren't in Smash yet. I guess that means, Mipha won't be one of the 5 DLC-characters, unfortunately. But we can still hope for DLC wave 2...

LYD

Smash Rookie
On the one hand I am happy that Joker got in, since I think he is a great addition to the roster. On the other hand, I am sad that Mipha's chances have shrunk immensely. Reggie more or less said the DLC fighters will be unexpected fighters from franchises that aren't in Smash yet. I guess that means, Mipha won't be one of the 5 DLC-characters, unfortunately. But we can still hope for DLC wave 2...
he never said they’d be new series. he said they’d be new to the series (smash series). so 1st parties aren’t out yet, though with joker being the first pick 1st party characters did lose plenty of chance i’ll agree with that (but well at least we’ll get persona music in smash). another good new is that mipha at least edges out most 1st party characters because she’s one of the most unique and unpredictable picks, and reggie did say they’re going exactly for that. so idk, still a bit of hope from wave 1 and slightly more from wave 2. guess we’ll have to wait and see :)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The only thing we can conclude from Reggie's comment is that all of the DLC characters will be new to the series. In other words, all newcomers and no vets. And as far as characters being suprises, that could apply to just about anyone. It's a generic statement.

Joker hasn't really changed much. We were already expecting a third-party, and it's way too soon to assume that no first-party characters will be added. If anything, you could argue Mipha is more likely now that we know the DLC was looking at characters all the way up to September 2016 (possibly even longer since Persona 5 really took off when it was released overseas in April 2017).

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I definitely support! Mipha is one of my most wanted characters.

I like Zora characters and Water based characters in general. + It brings in a new and different weapon type which I like.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Been a while, hasn't it?.

For those who didn't know, there were 16 additional character slots found in a datamine, with PP being one of them. Grain of salt, as always, but it's exciting to think we could get more characters beyond what we already know. If we were to get an additional fighter pass, how would you feel about Mipha's chances?

I feel like she's got a pretty good shot this time since bad timing will no longer be an issue. Plus, a majority of the notable Zelda characters are already represented in Smash through Stage Hazards and ATs. Aside from the other Champions, Impa, or maybe Tetra, I really can't think of anyone else from Zelda who would pose as a threat.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I still can't believe we didn't get any new Zelda character for the second time in a row. I really hope there will be one more DLC package, Mipha definitely is among the most likely Zelda characters imo.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I wrote up a moveset for Mipha. She's my personal pick of the Champions if any of them got in Smash, mainly because a character with a healing move sounds really interesting to me.

Concept:
Mipha isn't shown to do much fighting in Breath of the Wild, but we do know two things about her abilities. She wields a trident, has exceptional strength and swimming skills even for her species, and has the unique ability to heal. Being able to heal in Smash Bros is a VERY strong effect, so her moveset will be based around spacing the opponent out with her long disjointed trident, while having a special move she can use to slowly restore her health. Her general moveset has to be weaker by default to compensate for such a massively powerful move, though.

Stats:
She's rather slow on the ground, but has above average air speed. In general she's not very fast, making it easy to pressure her. Weight is slightly below average.

Normals:
As she hasn't been shown doing much fighting, her attacks will be mostly based on how Link wields spears in BotW, as well as just general trident attacks. A lot of her moves using the trident will be comparable in speed/range with Simon/Richter, albeit her attacks will be slightly slower.

Jab- A quick punch with her free hand, followed by a quick palm of her other hand, hitting with the bar of the trident, finishing off with an elbow to knock the opponent away.
F-Tilt- A decently long ranged jab with the trident.
U-Tilt- She swats upward with the tailend of her head.
D-Tilt- Pokes at the floor, can trip opponents.

Dash Attack- She lunges forward with the trident stretched out as far as possible. Relatively weak but fantastic range. References BotW spear running attack.

N-Air- She hits behind her with the back of the trident, which combos into a front hit with the fork.
F-Air- Long range poke forward with the trident.
B-Air- Relatively long startup as she turns the trident around, with a strong thrust backward.
U-Air- She pokes upward and spins in a circle, multihit move.
D-Air- A "divekick" type move, with the trident facing down and in front of her as she travels in that direction.

F-Smash- A flurry of trident stabs, followed by a finisher with insane range. References the BotW spear charge attack.
U-Smash- Summoning the power of Vah Ruta, she sends a pillar of water upward. After the initial hit, weaker multihit rain falls down to protect her during the long endlag.
D-Smash- She stabs the trident into the ground, creating a large splash of water around her.

Grab- Standard one-handed grab. Her pummel is unique in that it deals no damage to the opponent, instead healing Mipha for a small amount (<1%) per pummel.
U-Throw/B-Throw- She tosses the opponent upward/backward
F-Throw- She stabs the trident into them, hurtling them forward. Can kill at high% close to the ledge.
D-Throw- She drops them on the ground and jabs them with the back of her trident, sends at a low angle for tech-chase.

Specials:
Up Special- Waterfall Climb
Similar to Squirtle's Up B, she swims up a "waterfall" that she summons in front of her. Goes straight up and can't be angled, but has a lot more vertical distance than Squirtle's recovery. Great OoS option.

Neutral Special- Mipha's Grace
Mipha Holds her hand against her chest, slowly healing herself at a constant rate. Heals about 1% per second, done 0.2% at a time. There's a small startup before the healing takes effect. This move can be cancelled by jumping, shielding, or pressing the button again like certain charging moves, (Cloud Limit, etc.) but only after you have been healing for at least a second. This move can't be jump-cancelled midair, but can be cancelled with an airdodge.

Side Special- Swim Attack
Mipha launches herself forward while spinning, covered in water, as a reference to the spin attack Link can do while swimming with Zora Armor in BotW. Functions similarly to Meta Knight's side B, but can't be angled up or down. When used on the ground, Mipha will swim through the ground (similar to Inkling, kinda) and the move will be much stronger.

Down Special- Vah Ruta's Rain
Mipha calls upon Vah Ruta for help, which summons a rain cloud above her. The rain cloud will travel forward very slowly in whatever direction Mipha is facing when she summons it. The rain deals no knockback, but deals decent damage to enemies who stand in it too long. The cloud dissipates after a few seconds.

Taunts:
Up Taunt- Mipha bashfully turns away from the camera, closing her eyes.
Side Taunt- Mipha lays down and floats on a water spout that appears beneath her.
Down Taunt- Mipha smiles to the camera, showing off her shark teeth- before Sidon pops up behind her and does the same.

Final Smash: Divine Beast's Laser
Mipha swings her trident forward to catch anyone in front of her, then jumping onto Vah Ruta and shooting a giant laser beam at everyone unfortunate enough to be hit by the attack.

I'm probably gonna make one for Urbosa, and maybe Daruk too. Lemme know what you think!
I know this thread hasn't been alive for a while, but I posted this in the general Zelda thread and figured I'd post it here too. No harm in that, right? :p

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Bringing this thread back from the dead: Tonight are the game awards and this means the 5th DLC character still likely be shown. Are there still Mipha-believers?

First of all, unfortunately I still think it's unlikely she will be revealed tonight. However, there is at least a little bit of hope:

- The first 4 characters were all 3rd-Party-Reps, maybe the last one will be a Nintendocharacter to keep a better balance

- BotW2 was announced this year and maybe gameplay will be shown tonight for the first time. Zelda is highly relevant right now - I think this raises the chances for BotW-characters quite a bit. Also BotW won GotY two years ago and is very popular among the crowd

- A female character that isn't highly requested is rumoured

- Nobody has leaked the character so far, so maybe it's a Nintendo character (keeping it a secret would be easier than with 3rds) and maybe only very few people in general know about it

- She'd be the perfect surprise-pick for a show like TGA - totally unexpected, but still very recognizable & popular

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So I just wrote a news about the next Zelda-Event-Tournament that takes place this weekend in SSBU and asked the German Nintendo community what Zelda-characters they want for Smash Ultimate:

Poll Zelda newcomers (German)

So far 25% (!) out of all voters want to see Mipha in Smash, that's really a high number - only Midna and Skull Kid are more requested. She even beats fan favourites like Girahim, Impa or Tingle, I didn't expect that. Only 8 % of all voters so far don't want any new Zelda-character, which also says a lot - people really want to see a new Zelda rep.

Attachments

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So I just wrote a news about the next Zelda-Event-Tournament that takes place this weekend in SSBU and asked the German Nintendo community what Zelda-characters they want for Smash Ultimate:

Poll Zelda newcomers (German)

So far 25% (!) out of all voters want to see Mipha in Smash, that's really a high number - only Midna and Skull Kid are more requested. She even beats fan favourites like Girahim, Impa or Tingle, I didn't expect that. Only 8 % of all voters so far don't want any new Zelda-character, which also says a lot - people really want to see a new Zelda rep.
MM link is already in smash

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
MM link is already in smash
No, SSBU Young Link is the one from Ocarina of Time (click here for more info).
Majora's Mask Link could use the 3 masks and use the Zora, Goron & Deku abilities, which could be a really interesting moveset for Smash.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, SSBU Young Link is the one from Ocarina of Time (click here for more info).
Majora's Mask Link could use the 3 masks and use the Zora, Goron & Deku abilities, which could be a really interesting moveset for Smash.
they're the same link, hes a combination of his ablities from both games, using items he can only use in one and items he can only use in the other. they deku, goron, zora 3 in one is usually referred to as masked link

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
they're the same link, hes a combination of his ablities from both games, using items he can only use in one and items he can only use in the other. they deku, goron, zora 3 in one is usually referred to as masked link
Have you not seen the picture on the link from my previous post? He doesn't use any items that are exclusive to MM, all items are from OoT as well as Navi, the sword and the milkglass. Not even the Final Smash is Fierce Deity Link or anything MM-related. Therefore Young Link clearly is OoT-Link.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Have you not seen the picture on the link from my previous post? He doesn't use any items that are exclusive to MM, all items are from OoT as well as Navi, the sword and the milkglass. Not even the Final Smash is Fierce Deity Link or anything MM-related. Therefore Young Link clearly is OoT-Link.
lets see, he uses fire arrows, something he couldnt use in oot same with the hook shot, many of his voice clips are taken straight from MM. and again they are the same character, suggesting they be separate would be like saying we should have sunshine mario and galaxy mario be separate

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
lets see, he uses fire arrows, something he couldnt use in oot same with the hook shot, many of his voice clips are taken straight from MM. and again they are the same character, suggesting they be separate would be like saying we should have sunshine mario and galaxy mario be separate
Yeah, while it is true he only could use those two items in his adult form in Ocarina of Time, still the designs make it clear that the bow with the fire arrows and the blue hookshot are from OoT, not from MM. And aren't the voiceclips from OoT and MM the same? I understand the argument that Young Link in principle is the same character in both games... his appearance in Smash however is based on his appearance in OoT, maybe that's a better formulation. If they wanted to also reference MM, they would / could have included things from MM to Young Link's appearance (maybe Tatl instead of Navi for half of his alts, Hero's Shield, the MM-version of Kokiri Swords and other MM weapons for half of his alts, a Fierce Deity Final Smash, and so on....) , however they decided against it.. Why? probably to not mix those two games together and to maintain a consistent representation of OoT-Young Link. But hey, that's just my opinion and I don't think we'll find common ground, it's okay to disagree / have another opinion...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, while it is true he only could use those two items in his adult form in Ocarina of Time, still the designs make it clear that the bow with the fire arrows and the blue hookshot are from OoT, not from MM. And aren't the voiceclips from OoT and MM the same? I understand the argument that Young Link in principle is the same character in both games... his appearance in Smash however is based on his appearance in OoT, maybe that's a better formulation. If they wanted to also reference MM, they would / could have included things from MM to Young Link's appearance (maybe Tatl instead of Navi for half of his alts, Hero's Shield, the MM-version of Kokiri Swords and other MM weapons for half of his alts, a Fierce Deity Final Smash, and so on....) , however they decided against it.. Why? probably to not mix those two games together and to maintain a consistent representation of OoT-Young Link. But hey, that's just my opinion and I don't think we'll find common ground, it's okay to disagree / have another opinion...
to be fair every character is missing things from their pre smash inclusion games, it just easier to notice with the links as theyre specific incarnations. there nothing wrong with wanting more stuff from MM i just think its a little late for link, well human link his 5 other forms should still be ok

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Mipha is back in the race!!

The champions are kinda a big deal now (first the Story-DLC for BotW and now this story-heavy game with all 4 champions as playable characters) - that's really good news for us, I still have hope regarding Smash Bros. What do you guys think?

Top Bottom