• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mipha, Champion of the Zoras, for Smash Switch

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Dont think we'll get new Zelda in the base roster now, hopefully dlc

Last edited:

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. At this point, I think Skull Kid is very likely. Unfortunately not Mipha though. Oh well I guess. Hopefully she'll get enough requests so she'll end up as DLC.
Botw is extremely popular, and we won't get a 3d Zelda yo replace it as the hot new thing for like half a decade.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Aside from Skull Kid being the exception to the rule, I do not think we will ever get a new one-shot Zelda character ever again in future Smash titles.

I think Sakurai will be answering the most requested Zelda newcomer and that will be it for Zelda representation. Things are looking bleak for the possibility of a BOTW newcomer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Aside from Skull Kid being the exception to the rule, I do not think we will ever get a new one-shot Zelda character ever again in future Smash titles.

I think Sakurai will be answering the most requested Zelda newcomer and that will be it for Zelda representation. Things are looking bleak for the possibility of a BOTW newcomer.
not entirely sure skull kid is most requested, and hes not quite a one off

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I've come to revive the thread for my favorite Champion, the Zelda character who would excite me the most in Smash. Allow me to do so by spit-balling some ideas for Specials.

While playing through the BotW DLC (which I finally got around to playing), I started thinking of some moveset ideas for Mipha. Obviously, she'd fight with her trident, but the question always comes up: "what do you do with Mipha's Grace?". I think MG could work like Lucas's Down B, but with the properties of Ness's; Mipha generates a "shield" of light in front of her with her hand, which catches projectiles and converts them into health for herself. Perhaps, just to mix things up, this move - when used in a team match - can also generate health for Mipha's teammate, at the cost of making the move less potent for both.

For a recovery, I thought it would be cool to reference something she says in her diary that caught my attention: she says that she wants to learn the Spin Attack with her trident. I think it'd be cool if her recovery is a take on the Spin Attack, but perhaps when she uses it on land, the hitboxes are different (due to how she holds her trident, the range would be shorter than Link's, but there would be hitboxes on either side of her, something like that).

Perhaps she can form a chargeable water projectile, with particles of water leaving her hand and forming into a ball about an Ice Climber's length away from her. A fully formed projectile bounces along the ground with the physics of a water balloon. The water that leaves her hand, however, can be used as a close-range FLUDD attack with less lasting power.

The only thing I can think of for a side Special is a wave of water that she generates to swim forward, kind of like Squirtle's recovery, but it only moves on a horizontal axis.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you what her Final Smash could look like.

Sure, the odds of a Champion in the base game aren't looking too good, but what about DLC? The last time a Zelda game did as well as BotW did, four new characters made it into Smash. I know two of them were clones, and the other two were tied together, but still.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
My moveset idea for mipha well specials only
Up b
She summons a cryonis block platform that stays put for a few seconds. Is solid and can't be passed throw, acts as a platform so she gets all her jumps back on it, has cool down so can't be spammed
Can't be passed through so can be used for edge guarding.

Neutral b, zora fin boomerang projectile. Straight outa zora link from majoras mask
Down b mipha Grace as the user above said

Side b

Mipha shoots out a trail of water that can push oppents and be aimed up and down, of you press side b again she swims through it
Think layman's side b
References princess ruto's water manipulation in hyrule warriors

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Mipha has always been among my most wanted Newcomers for Smash Bros Ultimate. And I think there is still a chance, don't lose hope yet!

Surprisingly none of the champions appear in any form in Smash Bros Ultimate, not as an assist trophy, not in the background of the BotW-stage, not as part of Links Ultrasmash and not as part of Links Moveset. I find it kind of weird that Link doesn't have Revali's Gale as his Up-Special or Daruks Shield as his Shield / or as a new counter move. And all 4 champions shooting beams was the most logical Ultrasmash-prediction (since other characters like Shulk, Pokemon Trainer or Megaman have comparable Ultrasmashes), yet it still didn't happen.

Zelda Breath of the Wild was such a huge success and I don't think the Old Man will be the only BotW character representation in the game (besides Link).
Also if 103 stages (the number was emphasized twice by Sakurai) is actually the final stage of numbers, this means we will most likely only get newcomers from already existing franchises, which boosts the chances of Mipha. Zelda definitely deserves a newcomer and while Skull Kid seems likely, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the champions being in Smash. (What would Skull Kid's Ultrasmash be? The most logical explanation is the moon, however now the moon is an assist trophy. Furthermore, the Skull Kid most likely wasn't that prominent in the Smash Bros Ballot because he was already an assist Trophy in Smash 4 and therefore not as many people voted for him).
Due to the huge importance of Breath of the Wild I think Mipha would be a great addition to the roster. She also has much more moveset potential than Skull Kid. I even think we might see all 4 champions in Smash (sharing one character slot) - similarily to the Pokemon Trainer you can switch between these 4 characters. If only one of those champions makes the cut, I want to see Mipha, however I don't think it is as likely as all 4 characters being in Smash.

Also the theme of the champions hasn't been shown yet - I hope and think they will include a champion's theme Medley. My dream scenario would be a reveal trailer (in similar fashion to the high quality cutscenes from the Champion's Ballad BotW DLC) with all 4 champions revealed one after another accompanied by their respective champion themes and voiced conversations (for instance Revali bragging: "It's time to leave this land and to show the whole world who the best archer on this world is" Mipha talking to Link: "We promised, after everything has settled in Hyrule time together, we would spend some time together - even if this means I have to follow you to the battlefield" - this would be the hypest thing ever.

"Revali's Gale swirls up the competition", "Daruk is ready to roll into Smash", "Urbosa's Fury electrifies the battlefield", "Mipha graces the roster"

Last edited:

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Mipha has always been among my most wanted Newcomers for Smash Bros Ultimate. And I think there is still a chance, don't lose hope yet!

Surprisingly none of the champions appear in any form in Smash Bros Ultimate, not as an assist trophy, not in the background of the BotW-stage, not as part of Links Ultrasmash and not as part of Links Moveset. I find it kind of weird that Link doesn't have Revali's Gale as his Up-Special or Daruks Shield as his Shield / or as a new counter move. And all 4 champions shooting beams was the most logical Ultrasmash-prediction (since other characters like Shulk, Pokemon Trainer or Megaman have comparable Ultrasmashes), yet it still didn't happen.

Zelda Breath of the Wild was such a huge success and I don't think the Old Man will be the only BotW character representation in the game (besides Link).
Also if 103 stages (the number was emphasized twice by Sakurai) is actually the final stage of numbers, this means we will most likely only get newcomers from already existing franchises, which boosts the chances of Mipha. Zelda definitely deserves a newcomer and while Skull Kid seems likely, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the champions being in Smash. (What would Skull Kid's Ultrasmash be? The most logical explanation is the moon, however now the moon is an assist trophy. Furthermore, the Skull Kid most likely wasn't that prominent in the Smash Bros Ballot because he was already an assist Trophy in Smash 4 and therefore not as many people voted for him).
Due to the huge importance of Breath of the Wild I think Mipha would be a great addition to the roster. She also has much more moveset potential than Skull Kid. I even think we might see all 4 champions in Smash (sharing one character slot) - similarily to the Pokemon Trainer you can switch between these 4 characters. If only one of those champions makes the cut, I want to see Mipha, however I don't think it is as likely as all 4 characters being in Smash.

Also the theme of the champions hasn't been shown yet - I hope and think they will include a champion's theme Medley. My dream scenario would be a reveal trailer (in similar fashion to the high quality cutscenes from the Champion's Ballad BotW DLC) with all 4 champions revealed one after another accompanied by their respective champion themes and voiced conversations (for instance Revali bragging: "It's time to leave this land and to show the whole world who the best archer on this world is" Mipha talking to Link: "We promised, after everything has settled in Hyrule time together, we would spend some time together - even if this means I have to follow you to the battlefield" - this would be the hypest thing ever.

"Revali's Gale swirls up the competition", "Daruk is ready to roll into Smash", "Urbosa's Fury electrifies the battlefield", "Mipha graces the roster"
I'm not 100% sold on Skull Kid yet (it would be really cool, but we'll just have to wait and see). That being said, while the Moon would make the most sense as a Final Smash, Majora does have three boss fight's worth of content to pull from. I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

As far as the Champions go, I'd love to live in a world where all four are in Smash (just so everyone has their favorite available) but that's an unrealistic expectation (I'd love to be proven wrong, haha). However, from what I've seen online, Mipha seems to be the go-to for a favorite Champion, so if one of them were to make it into Smash, I'm confident that it'd be Mipha.

And it is suspect that none of the Champions have shown up yet. I would've pegged Urbosa or Revali as ideal Assist Trophy material, and yet all four are still nowhere to be seen.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I'm not 100% sold on Skull Kid yet (it would be really cool, but we'll just have to wait and see). That being said, while the Moon would make the most sense as a Final Smash, Majora does have three boss fight's worth of content to pull from. I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

As far as the Champions go, I'd love to live in a world where all four are in Smash (just so everyone has their favorite available) but that's an unrealistic expectation (I'd love to be proven wrong, haha). However, from what I've seen online, Mipha seems to be the go-to for a favorite Champion, so if one of them were to make it into Smash, I'm confident that it'd be Mipha.

And it is suspect that none of the Champions have shown up yet. I would've pegged Urbosa or Revali as ideal Assist Trophy material, and yet all four are still nowhere to be seen.
I agree with you on this, I don’t see us getting a Zelda newcomer tbh.

But now I think I came to the conclusion that I’ll take any Zelda character even though I doubt ones coming

Last edited:

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Botw saved nintendo so lets get all 4 and pig ganon as dlc

Come on we have not had a unique Zelda character in smash since I was 3 years old sakurai

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
So I am a huge Zelda fan and will cheer for any Zelda newcomer, but how can you have BOTW Link:ultlink: without his fish wife?
Also Zoras are a pretty prominent race of Zelda so I feel like they deserve a rep.
I really hope she will get in as DLC as I don't see base roster as a option, however I would love to be wrong about that.

PrincessToadstool

Smash Cadet
Mipha's my favorite character in BOTW and I would be so happy if she got in! I am literally praying that if Sakurai does decide to put a BOTW rep that Mipha would be at the top of the list. If we got Skull Kid and Mipha, I would literally cry tears of joy LOL. More Zelda please!

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
How would you guys react if Sakurai pulled a fast one on us and put in Sidon?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So I am a huge Zelda fan and will cheer for any Zelda newcomer, but how can you have BOTW Link:ultlink: without his fish wife?
Also Zoras are a pretty prominent race of Zelda so I feel like they deserve a rep.
I really hope she will get in as DLC as I don't see base roster as a option, however I would love to be wrong about that.
How about his fish husband? ;)

How would you guys react if Sakurai pulled a fast one on us and put in Sidon?
Beat me to it I see lmfao

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I swear to god, if Mipha is in the game, I will main her and she will become my most played character. Please Sakurai..... pleeease!

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Got to get more activity here

Notice there are like 8 Zelda character request threads

Zelda fanbase should work together

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I personally prefer Ruto, but the difference between Ruto and Mipha is that Mipha can use weapons. If Mipha had Ruto's water magic from Warriors, along with spears and tridents, that could work really well. She's far from my most wanted but would interesting to see.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not sure how likely Mipha would be for DLC, but she and the other Champions do have one good thing going for them.

Most of the popular Zelda characters are already assigned to other roles, such as Midna and Ghirahim as ATs, Tingle as a stage hazard, and Pig Ganon as a FS.

I don't know what the heck Sakurai has planned for Skull Kid, but if he were to return as an AT or end up as some type of boss in Spirits mode, the only notable candidates left would be Impa and Toon Zelda/Tetra. Obviously this wouldn't make a Zelda character any more likely, but at least the Champions would have less competition.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Okay, so this is your prime example of pitiful strawgrasping, but there's three things I wanted to point out.

(1) I believe Mipha was the only Champion not seen as a spirit. As a matter fact, we saw artwork of Revali, Daruk, Urbosa (twice), a Gaurdian, and a Bokoblin, but oddly enough, not Mipha. While I do think she'll be a Spirit and that this is just a weird coincidence, at least we can argue that there's currently nothing in the game that directly indicates she can't be DLC.

(2) Skull Kid is out of the running, alongside Midna, Pig Ganon, Tingle, and Ghirahim. If we're to assume Spirits don't disconfirm a character, that pretty much leaves us with the Champions, Impa, and Toon Zelda/Tetra as the remaining choices for a Zelda rep, should we be fortunate enough to get one as DLC.

(3) There's a rumor that Sakurai mentioned in the Japanese Direct that the DLC characters are actually planned newcomers who didn't quite make the base game. Grain of salt, but if this is true, a Champion might have a decent shot here. BotW's development was announced in 2013, long before work on Ultimate began, so there's a chance Sakurai might have originally planned for a character from BotW being playable. Might not be as unlikely as you think, as Su/Mo (Incineroar) debuted only three and a half months before BotW.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so this is your prime example of pitiful strawgrasping, but there's three things I wanted to point out.

(1) I believe Mipha was the only Champion not seen as a spirit. As a matter fact, we saw artwork of Revali, Daruk, Urbosa (twice), a Gaurdian, and a Bokoblin, but oddly enough, not Mipha. While I do think she'll be a Spirit and that this is just a weird coincidence, at least we can argue that there's currently nothing in the game that directly indicates she can't be DLC.

(2) Skull Kid is out of the running, alongside Midna, Pig Ganon, Tingle, and Ghirahim. If we're to assume Spirits don't disconfirm a character, that pretty much leaves us with the Champions, Impa, and Toon Zelda/Tetra as the remaining choices for a Zelda rep, should we be fortunate enough to get one as DLC.

(3) There's a rumor that Sakurai mentioned in the Japanese Direct that the DLC characters are actually planned newcomers who didn't quite make the base game. Grain of salt, but if this is true, a Champion might have a decent shot here. BotW's development was announced in 2013, long before work on Ultimate began, so there's a chance Sakurai might have originally planned for a character from BotW being playable. Might not be as unlikely as you think, as Su/Mo (Incineroar) debuted only three and a half months before BotW.
Theirs no zoras domain
S9ng

And Zelda has gotten a new stage at evrey game plus smash r dlc (though returning)

So a dlc stage for zelda makes sense

Also mipha would have a healing counter and sakurai loves those

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Mipha not showing up in the game at all was suspicious for me as well. However, we already have a Breath of the Wild stage. Do you really think we would get a second one? I highly doubt it, unfortunately :(

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mipha not showing up in the game at all was suspicious for me as well. However, we already have a Breath of the Wild stage. Do you really think we would get a second one? I highly doubt it, unfortunately :(
why not weve got two oot stages

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A single game getting multiple stages has happened several times before. In Melee, both SM64 and EarthBound got two new stages (and SM64 technically already had a stage in the original Smash, so Melee brought up the total to three SM64 stages). In Smash 4, X/Y and KI:U also got two new stages.

I'd say it's not impossible, especially with a game as popular as BotW.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
So the dlc is being picked by Nintendo eh? And botw is the 3rd best selling switch game? I think a botw character is looking more likely and Mipha was the most significant out of all the champions imo, I think she has a real chance, gonna keep my expectations low and hopes high, I mean hey zora's are extremely prominent throughout zelda, not having one feels weird.

A single game getting multiple stages has happened several times before. In Melee, both SM64 and EarthBound got two new stages (and SM64 technically already had a stage in the original Smash, so Melee brought up the total to three SM64 stages). In Smash 4, X/Y and KI:U also got two new stages.

I'd say it's not impossible, especially with a game as popular as BotW.
Yeah I agree, botw sold more than oot, having two botw stages is not weird at all.

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Over 500 known Spirits so far and still no sign of Mipha. All other Champions (Revali, Daruk and Urbosa) are spirits, additionally also the following Zelda characters are spirits: Bokoblin (Botw), Demise (SS), Groose (SS), Tetra (WW), Skull Kid (MM), Tingle (MM), Midna (TP), Zant (TP), Darknut (TP), Medli (WW), Ruto (OoT), Impa (OoT):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SNmnZRMx0OWq6sX62QHBCmpYsGTXMGT-BqvJunoCRkM/edit#gid=0

Basically all of the requested potential Zelda-Newcomers are already spirits - well all except for one, Mipha. This plus the fact that Nintendo chose the characters and surely wants to push newer games… the more I think about it, the more my hope rises she might actually one of the 5 DLC-characters. A new Zelda character is long overdue and I think Nintendo might have suggested at least one Zelda chracter. Imo out of all Zelda characters Mipha currently has the best chance of getting in. Just imagine how beautiful a Zora's Domain stage could be. Or a Vah Ruta stage.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Over 500 known Spirits so far and still no sign of Mipha. All other Champions (Revali, Daruk and Urbosa) are spirits, additionally also the following Zelda characters are spirits: Bokoblin (Botw), Demise (SS), Groose (SS), Tetra (WW), Skull Kid (MM), Tingle (MM), Midna (TP), Zant (TP), Darknut (TP), Medli (WW), Ruto (OoT), Impa (OoT):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SNmnZRMx0OWq6sX62QHBCmpYsGTXMGT-BqvJunoCRkM/edit#gid=0

Basically all of the requested potential Zelda-Newcomers are already spirits - well all except for one, Mipha. This plus the fact that Nintendo chose the characters and surely wants to push newer games… the more I think about it, the more my hope rises she might actually one of the 5 DLC-characters. A new Zelda character is long overdue and I think Nintendo might have suggested at least one Zelda chracter. Imo out of all Zelda characters Mipha currently has the best chance of getting in. Just imagine how beautiful a Zora's Domain stage could be. Or a Vah Ruta stage.
I'm hopeful too, but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet. Having all the Champions except Mipha as Spirits would extremely suspicious.

I suspect she's a Spirit just like the others, but if she really does end up being completely absent from Ultimate, I'd say that's a pretty obvious sign of things to come. With how many niche Spirits we've been getting, there's really no excuse for Mipha not to be included.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So here is a thought I had:
The Game Awards are in 3 weeks and I think there is the possibilty that a new Smash fighter will be revealed. People were speculating the first DLC fighter will be a Square Enix rep and might be presented at The Game Awards. However, what if this first character isn't a square rep. We all know that Zelda Breath of the Wild won the GotY reward last year and for sure will be mentioned in some way this year as well. Zelda Breath of the Wild (GotY winner) is even nominated this year as "Favourite Moment of the Year 2017". If Mipha really was a DLC-figher, wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to reveal her? The game is still fresh and on everyone's lips, I really hope she might get revealed at The Game Awards..

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So here is a thought I had:
The Game Awards are in 3 weeks and I think there is the possibilty that a new Smash fighter will be revealed. People were speculating the first DLC fighter will be a Square Enix rep and might be presented at The Game Awards. However, what if this first character isn't a square rep. We all know that Zelda Breath of the Wild won the GotY reward last year and for sure will be mentioned in some way this year as well. Zelda Breath of the Wild (GotY winner) is even nominated this year as "Favourite Moment of the Year 2017". If Mipha really was a DLC-figher, wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to reveal her? The game is still fresh and on everyone's lips, I really hope she might get revealed at The Game Awards..
Makes sense, but I'm not sure if enough time has passed for any DLC character to be shown off at TGA. It's only been two weeks since the Direct, and Sakurai said DLC development hadn't started yet.

Mipha may or may not get revealed on a BotW-relevant day, but it's best if we don't pay too much attention to it. Right now, our top priority should be finding evidence that supports her inclusion. A missing Spirit is a huge advantage, so let's hope it stays that way.

Top Bottom