• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mintendo Noodle House - Min Min Social

Favorite Min Min alts?

• Total voters

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
Dang, how is it that everyone here is just overflowing with praise? Like, I get she has a totally different playstyle than the rest of the cast and might take some getting used to, but... I'm trying her out and she feels clunky. Taking her online, any fast character instantly weaves through her arms and combos her, and she has no combo breakers, get-off-me options, or reliable OoS moves besides her neutral aerial (which goes right over short characters) and up-smash (which has no hitbox on the back). She's pretty much dead meat if a character gets under her.

I'm totally committed to using this character, but my first impression of her is... not great :(

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
The highlight of playing Min Min thus far was following a high-recovering Snake with ARMS Jump and killing him with ARM Hook. I was so happy when that worked since I was wondering if it would before release.

Min Min's fun for sure, but there's a lot to get used to. I often forget I can jump out of a punch and tend to underestimate her range, thus whiffing many edgeguard attempts.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The highlight of playing Min Min thus far was following a high-recovering Snake with ARMS Jump and killing him with ARM Hook. I was so happy when that worked since I was wondering if it would before release.

Min Min's fun for sure, but there's a lot to get used to. I often forget I can jump out of a punch and tend to underestimate her range, thus whiffing many edgeguard attempts.
I agree, it requires a change in mentality when it comes to playing as Min Min here. Wasn't it the same with Ryu when he came out during Sm4sh or something?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Dang, how is it that everyone here is just overflowing with praise? Like, I get she has a totally different playstyle than the rest of the cast and might take some getting used to, but... I'm trying her out and she feels clunky. Taking her online, any fast character instantly weaves through her arms and combos her, and she has no combo breakers, get-off-me options, or reliable OoS moves besides her neutral aerial (which goes right over short characters) and up-smash (which has no hitbox on the back). She's pretty much dead meat if a character gets under her.

I'm totally committed to using this character, but my first impression of her is... not great :(
While I'm enjoying her and definitely committed to making her my main, I would agree that she takes a lot of getting used to and I had A LOT of rough matches before I got in the groove of how she plays. There's a thin thread between playing her like other characters aggressively with nairs, utilt and uair, and playing her closer to how Sakurai was playing her where you mash the one-two combo to space people out. Existing in that middle-ground and knowing when to do one or the other seems super vital, but making one mistake feels instantly deadly.

That said, there's no way I'm doing this character online. Offline it's been super fun, I've gotten used to dealing with more in-your-face threats like mario and pikachu, and while rough it can be done, just... it's rough lol. You also need to get really used to movement of her arms and laser for as much precision as possible, because a well-placed dragon laser can kill REAAAALLY early. I need to get more used to edge-guarding properly with her.

Her kick game is actually amazing, grabs are kind of meh so far. I really wish she had a better recovery too. I think I got my wish somewhat in that she definitely seems likely to be low tier, but workable. Just need a lot more practice and precision with my attacks.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm absolutely loving Min Min. Just so fun to play with her range. Probably the most fun I've had with any DLC barring Banjo and even then it's close. I love mixing up the ARMS and slowly chipping away at a range, then finishing off with Megawatt.

Definitely takes some getting used to though. I played my friend with her and got 3 stocked on my first match. By the end I was three stocking him!

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Other assorted thoughts:

- Wound up running her default colors. Her alts are good but I just love her standard look and it was the first one I three-stocked with so it feels lucky.
- Really bummed the spring stadium stage keeps the ceiling with hazards off. I'll probably keep it in the rotation right now out of courtesy like I did with Mementos and the Dragon Quest stages when those happened, but otherwise I don't expect the stage to see tourney presence, unfortunately.
- I haven't spammed her taunts as much as I should. I saw them once and love the style, but wish they were more memorable or memeable.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So, while playing around with Min Min, I discovered some odd tech (please pardon me if someone beat me to it).
If you do a punch (A or B, doesn't matter), and QUICKLY press the opposite punch (basically a quick slide motion), it'll come out as a Smash attack.
I like to do this with the Coronavirus ARM (Megawatt) by punching with A and comboing into the Smash Megawatt for somewhat early KOs.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, I realized that this is just part of a universal mechanic where if you hold A and B together, it charges a Smash Attack, and pressing B while still holding A makes the second punch a Smash Attack.
Still good tech, though.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Managed to squeeze in a few matches against the level 9 CPU with her before going to work. She's really, really fun and I find her whole kit to feel pretty natural so it took no time at all for me to start playing her somewhat efficiently. I can definitely see her recovery being easily gimped and she suffers when the opponent is constantly in your face, but she's got range for days and her edge guarding game is going to be hella nasty.

Last edited:

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
Personally I've really been liking playing as her, which is good because I was slightly worried that her playstyle might be a bit difficult or unwieldy, but it's actually intuitive!

She is certainly unique, but not as complicated as I thought she might be. I feel like she's rather good, and hitting someone from so far away is a lot of fun. Her up smash and down smash both have decent knockback. I enjoy the nair that's kinda like Ike's. Her up special is a bit boring from the ground and I would have preferred something besides a tether recovery, but it's a lot better than some.

I like that her grab is pretty long but not really any longer than, like, the hookshot or Samus', though maybe a bit faster than those two...

zumaddy

Smash Ace
So I've gotten in a few hours of playing Min Min, and BOY did I have to adjust. I play a lot of close-up and aggro fighters with a few exceptions, so she took a lot of getting used to as I changed my usual style. However now that I'm getting the hang of her a bit, she's super fun. Fave moment so far was managing to snipe Ken with my Dragon Arm when he was way off stage for the win.

The only problem is that I keep forgetting that I can hit A and B at different times :facepalm:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't know what I was expecting for a back throw, but it certainly wasn't her suplexing the heck out of her enemies.

A lot of my clutch KOs actually came from Megawatt nair.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've found that being aggressive with your arms helps.

Just putting hitboxes out there can really help create space for you, even if you don't hit anything.

Granted, you need to be smart about it, but Min Min is definitely not a defensive zoner. She's an offensive one.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Awesome Ramen Bowl Smash Remix!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just tried out Min Min and she is fun as hell. I beat her Spirit Board and beated Classic Mode with her, but I haven't gotten completely use to playing with her well yet. She is a very unique character.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Anyone else getting kinda annoyed by the "competitive" players trying her out saying she's garbage or low tier because she's not the best in a spot or two?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Anyone else getting kinda annoyed by the "competitive" players trying her out saying she's garbage or low tier because she's not the best in a spot or two?
I really don't give a **** who they claim is low tier or high tier because I don't give two ***** about the tier list. I play with my favorite characters whether they're considered good or bad by the pros.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Pay no mind to them, first impressions mean very little over the course of actually putting in some serious time with a character. Which nobody has yet.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
She's radically different from any Smash character we've ever gotten and kinda fundamentally changes the way you play the game. In a sense, she's like playing 2D ARMS in Smash, and because of this, people are gonna try playing her like other characters and then knee-jerk when those strats don't work.

She's got a learning curve. It's waaaaay too early to say if she is or isn't good. Let's wait and see how she develops in the hands of people who actually stick with her.

Firox

Smash Master
I consider myself fairly competitive, but I honestly think she can be downright broken in the right hands. For example: I use smash stick for my C-stick and discovered that if you hold it left or right in the air, you can do a guaranteed falling dragon laser attack for some absolutely ridiculous aerial control. Also, I've already found some pretty cool combos for her. These are the one's I've found so far but I haven't had the chance to lab out percents yet:

Dtilt->Up tilt (low percent)
Dtilt->Up air (mid percent)
Landing Nair->Dash Attack (mid percent)

I'm sure there's more, but like I said, I haven't had time to lab her too much yet. Has anyone else found more combos? We could probably start a new thread to compile them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
YO THEY USED DIFFERENT ART FOR MIN MIN'S SPIRIT
Well, that's an obscure piece of art, is this related to the ARMS Party Crash victory?

Edit: Oh, wait, never mind: https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/04/21/new-arms-art-showcases-lovable-minmin/

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Yabuki had expressively sent that very piece of art.

There is more offical art for Min Min's release!

It's almost like they're compensating for the fact that we haven't had newcomer-related Smash art drawn by guests since 4.

She's radically different from any Smash character we've ever gotten and kinda fundamentally changes the way you play the game. In a sense, she's like playing 2D ARMS in Smash, and because of this, people are gonna try playing her like other characters and then knee-jerk when those strats don't work.

She's got a learning curve. It's waaaaay too early to say if she is or isn't good. Let's wait and see how she develops in the hands of people who actually stick with her.
If it's this tricky having made an ARMS character, you can imagine how tough it actually is to bring a Tekken character in here, since that series relies on 3D arena-oriented movesets as a gimmick.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Of course, there are going to be a lot of people who'll jump on the "broken" or "worthless" camps Day 1, but rule of thumb amongst pros / competitive players is still "lets wait a couple months for people to dig deeper into the character".

And competitive viewpoints shouldn't affect what one enjoys casually. Hell, a lot of pros also play the game casually and / or have secondary characters that are considered low tier without any issues (Nairo has his Ganondorf, for example).

EDIT: And there are low tier mains too that have seen success. Ben Gold, for example.

I consider myself fairly competitive, but I honestly think she can be downright broken in the right hands. For example: I use smash stick for my C-stick and discovered that if you hold it left or right in the air, you can do a guaranteed falling dragon laser attack for some absolutely ridiculous aerial control. Also, I've already found some pretty cool combos for her. These are the one's I've found so far but I haven't had the chance to lab out percents yet:

Dtilt->Up tilt (low percent)
Dtilt->Up air (mid percent)
Landing Nair->Dash Attack (mid percent)

I'm sure there's more, but like I said, I haven't had time to lab her too much yet. Has anyone else found more combos? We could probably start a new thread to compile them.
There's the Sakurai combo (low percent only):

Mew2king_Analyzes_Min_Min_Everything_you_need_to_know..gif

(I realize the "GO" kinda obscures it: Forward Smash B / RamRam -> Forward Smash A -> Laser)

It's kinda unreliable damage-wise, but it does a solid 35-44 % when it connects. Haven't labbed it against a human opponent (only against CPUs), so haven't confirmed it to be 100 % true. Still think it's going to be difficult for a human opponent to escape from because Forward Smash's hitstun is enough for the normal ARM to follow up.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

You have to play her like a zoner (and maybe sometimes change pace with her faster moves). Being able to do two different long range attacks one right after the other, or at a difference pace too, makes it very hard to get in. If you use the normal attacks (not smash), you can not only move away as you attack, but jump away if they get close. You can even jump after you throw one from the air. You can also pressure with megawatt (+dragon) because it does more shield damage, so if they only constantly shield you can try that, or make them think youre going for another ataack but go for a grab (tho it's risky cuz it has a lot of delay after)

I do agree that she is vulnerable up close since her mobility isn't the best and her nair out of shield isnt as good as i thought,, but her kicks are fast so if you can learn to time them, you might wanna either shield less or try up-b to escape (probably better with platforms around).

To me she didn't feel clunky at all, I think they made her flow really well, but she does play very differently, and it'll take a while to get used to the nuances.
Good luck

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Up Smash can reflect K. Rool's Blunderbuss projectile even when he sucks it back and shoots it diagonally. Funniest s*** ever.

I was kind of surprised to find out Min Min has a kill throw, let alone two. None of her throw animations resemble her own from ARMS, but the animation would probably be too long for a typical Smash throw.

Speaking of animation, I love the way Min Min moves around and attacks. Having her do all these cool kung fu kicks and poses in the middle of battle actually sells that aspect of her persona better than ARMS, where they were reserved for victory poses (for obvious reasons, mind) Well, she kicked while throwing and dodging, but I think for dodges especially the camera angle didn't really do the movements justice. I especially like forward roll.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I saw some people only using smash attacks with min min. And you cant do that in competitive, it slows you down a lot and you'll just get punished a lot. I dont know when's the best time to use them tho.

So what is y'alls' favorite Min Min color palette? Mine is the icey alt.
Still the pink one for me, but I'm a fan of the red one now too. :)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
For example: I use smash stick for my C-stick and discovered that if you hold it left or right in the air, you can do a guaranteed falling dragon laser attack for some absolutely ridiculous aerial control. .
Nice, someone else found this one out. I've been doing it without C-Stick, and it's nasty how many times it gets people. They block the ground smash attacks + laser because they expect it, but when I do the falling dragon head with the laser almost no one sees it coming.

It's also a good tool to get people away from the ledge when recovering.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nice, someone else found this one out. I've been doing it without C-Stick, and it's nasty how many times it gets people. They block the ground smash attacks + laser because they expect it, but when I do the falling dragon head with the laser almost no one sees it coming.

Oh. I thought people knew about it XD
One weird thing is that if you do it and there's platforms in the way, sometimes the laser wont shoot, it's weird.

Also, it's a bit disappointing that air attacks can't be bended, but i guess it'd be too good if it did.
It does bend sometimes when it hits a platform or the ground in some ways :p

Firox

Smash Master

Exactly. Can't tell you how delicious it is to land a dragon laser over the ledge for the gimp.

Have a preference for her new black alt as well as her new blue alt.
Hell yeah. The black and red alt is fire.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I like the alts a lot but I've found myself using the default color palette the most. I think it just looks really good already! Though otherwise, I use the full blue alt too sometimes.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
She's SOOOOOOOOOO fun
Pulled an all nighter just for her and I don't regret it one bit :D
Also ICE MIN/TRANS RIGHTS SKING IS THE BEST ONE NO CONTEST, it was the best one in ARMS and it still is in Smash :p

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Glad to see people are having fun with here, even if she is a bit complicated.

Well, I will just keep on bringing art here in the meantime.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
OG green and orange. It's interesting that two colors that normally clash so much look so good on her.

I haven't changed my first impression that she's not going to be too great after labbing her for a few hours this morning, but she is SO much fun. As a Lucina main, I have to get out of the habit of FAir'ing and BAir'ing OoS (those are automatic punishes if you attack Lucina's shield) and getting used to USmash instead. USpecial was fantastic with Lucina, but I've yet to figure out how to properly land with Min Min if you USpecial OoS — being above an opponent is a death sentence, even with a DAir/NAir mixup covering the space beneath her.

I'm also learning how to react to the opponent's positioning and throwing out precise moves instead of just spacing and spamming moves like Lucina can and waiting for the opponent runs into them. I'm used to proper spacing, but not so much having to think about where each move is going to land and when things are punishable. I've taken a lot of L's, but I'm slowly getting used to switching her arms (I had a habit of never switching in the middle of combat, but every arm is useful and slightly changes her playstyle — every arm is useful!), her unique spacing (it's so weird having the proper spacing be a half-stage away...), and mixing her range with her close combat options (which isn't great, but manageable to get them back into the space where she needs them to be). Playing Min Min almost feels like I'm playing a different game, and it's fresh and exciting.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
She's got a really big learning curve, but she's super fun! I've put in a few hours playing singleplayer stuff as her now and I'm having great fun. Some characters are harder to deal with than others (Banjo and Diddy Kong are huge pains for me) but I recognize that it's 'cause I feel like I'm playing her a bit wrong, lol. Just gotta break the habits I have with other characters when playing her. :p

Also need to start learning proper spacing. Her reach is so long, I often miss because I don't line her up properly, ha ha.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i played Min Min yesterday and she is a pretty good fighter to work with. i played as her in training to get a good work of her though i didn't get a good hang of her until i moved on to her classic mode route, spirit board, and world of light and i got pretty better at her.

she is a pretty good character to play and i might continue practicing with her in the future.

Top Bottom