• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mintendo Noodle House - Min Min Social

Favorite Min Min alts?

• Total voters

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I haven't posted in this thread until today and I wanted to extend my congrats to all of you! I tried her out last night and Min Min feels just right. Just got to get used to her playstyle and she'll continue to grow on me. I am really satisfied with her inclusion.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I haven't posted in this thread until today and I wanted to extend my congrats to all of you! I tried her out last night and Min Min feels just right. Just got to get used to her playstyle and she'll continue to grow on me. I am really satisfied with her inclusion.
Min Min is my 2nd favorite Ultimate DLC character thus far aside from Banjo & Kazooie.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
"Min Min's not gud"

The instant Arm switch attack techis something I've figured out by accident, but it's pretty hard to input consistently but could lead to some potentially creative set-ups for Min Min.

She seems to benefit more from high level fundamental play as opposed to going for bread and butter combo's however. So many times I bait a ledge roll and punish with a Megawatt or catch my opponent jumping after I've been pressuring with 1-2's on the ground. Then go from playing super campy to nearly hyper aggressive with megawatt nairs. Sometimes I start stocks with megawatt because it builds up damage rather quickly if you connect with them.

I do find myself hardly using her dragon on her right arm as she permanently has the dragon on her left arm. Ram Ram and Megawatt do something she can't do if they aren't equipped. Though I do find they have the best potential for pressuring 1-2's as they move faster than Megawatt and do more damage than ram ram.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I love how she's already been out for like a week and she's still getting art.
I'm so happy she's been received so well, especially after Byleth unfortunately caused a fandom meltdown. I was a little nervous that people were gonna be upset because she was first party, but nah, people seem to be really cool with her, and that's awesome! :)

So, out of sheer curiosity, I tried to play three of the game's most infamous Spirit fights with Min Min today to see how she deals with them. The results were a tad surprising:

Pauline:

Min Min actually struggles really hard here because of the stage layout and the presence of Mario. DK is easy enough to camp out with Dragons because of his size, and Peach can be dealt with with Megawatts once you grab a clock item, but Mario just wrecks everything. Min Min's poor air mobility also makes this one a struggle: To be honest, I feel I only won this one by luck. Funny enough, I actually did win one round because Peach's AI just kind of...SD'ed, lol. The first legit win was really only because Mario SD'ed.

The Boss:

It took a good number of attempts to figure out the best strat, but yeah, Min Min can do well in this one. Most of the time I lost because of getting timed out because I played too cautiously, but as long as you keep throwing out Megawatts and Dragon lasers and you'll win eventually (probably from a gimp, lol).

Dr. Wiley:

This one I actually did first try! Spamming Dragon lasers is incredibly effective at walling out the metal Mega Men, and it while it can get a bit scary when they first spawn, careful placement and positioning will easily help her win. And the Dr. Mario at the end is easy; just toss out lasers and he goes down in a few hits, lol. Could probably just bonk him with a Megawatt and then gimp with a Ram Ram, too.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Pauline:

Min Min actually struggles really hard here because of the stage layout and the presence of Mario....

...Funny enough, I actually did win one round because Peach's AI just kind of...SD'ed, lol.
Well that's the Pauline fight for ya.

Simply hope and pray Peach messes up one way or the other lol.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm so happy she's been received so well, especially after Byleth unfortunately caused a fandom meltdown. I was a little nervous that people were gonna be upset because she was first party, but nah, people seem to be really cool with her, and that's awesome! :)

So, out of sheer curiosity, I tried to play three of the game's most infamous Spirit fights with Min Min today to see how she deals with them. The results were a tad surprising:

Pauline:

Min Min actually struggles really hard here because of the stage layout and the presence of Mario. DK is easy enough to camp out with Dragons because of his size, and Peach can be dealt with with Megawatts once you grab a clock item, but Mario just wrecks everything. Min Min's poor air mobility also makes this one a struggle: To be honest, I feel I only won this one by luck. Funny enough, I actually did win one round because Peach's AI just kind of...SD'ed, lol. The first legit win was really only because Mario SD'ed.

The Boss:

It took a good number of attempts to figure out the best strat, but yeah, Min Min can do well in this one. Most of the time I lost because of getting timed out because I played too cautiously, but as long as you keep throwing out Megawatts and Dragon lasers and you'll win eventually (probably from a gimp, lol).

Dr. Wiley:

This one I actually did first try! Spamming Dragon lasers is incredibly effective at walling out the metal Mega Men, and it while it can get a bit scary when they first spawn, careful placement and positioning will easily help her win. And the Dr. Mario at the end is easy; just toss out lasers and he goes down in a few hits, lol. Could probably just bonk him with a Megawatt and then gimp with a Ram Ram, too.
To be fair, Min Min isn't part of a series that people are tired of seeing new characters added. Even Chrom has some pushback due to being a Fire Emblem character, mind you not as much since he is an echo fighter and had very little work done, but Byleth was the final nail for some people.

I've only seen irrational hate towards Min Min in the presence of "Nintendo didn't add Twintelle cuZ ThEH'RE RaciStZZZzz!!!" And even that is very minimal, mostly because it's just plain ridiculous. There's that and those who wanted other Arms fighters, but most people that did were already fine with Min Min anyways.

I was so determined when I first did The Boss Spirit Battle. Eventually the thought occured to me, "Why don't I just try gimping her?" and 10 seconds later I gimped her for the win. lol

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
"Min Min's not gud"

The instant Arm switch attack techis something I've figured out by accident, but it's pretty hard to input consistently but could lead to some potentially creative set-ups for Min Min.

She seems to benefit more from high level fundamental play as opposed to going for bread and butter combo's however. So many times I bait a ledge roll and punish with a Megawatt or catch my opponent jumping after I've been pressuring with 1-2's on the ground. Then go from playing super campy to nearly hyper aggressive with megawatt nairs. Sometimes I start stocks with megawatt because it builds up damage rather quickly if you connect with them.

I do find myself hardly using her dragon on her right arm as she permanently has the dragon on her left arm. Ram Ram and Megawatt do something she can't do if they aren't equipped. Though I do find they have the best potential for pressuring 1-2's as they move faster than Megawatt and do more damage than ram ram.
Cool video, though I agree that she doesn't feel as combo-heavy as much as just read-heavy.

The problem in particular that I have is that a lot of those combo starters rely on very punishable assumptions, mainly being able to connect the right aerial at the right time.
In general I try to pressure in the ground to force opponents to jump, but then even during the jump several characters have aerial options that will be stronger or faster than Min Min nair or up tilt, where at best you get a trade where both characters are launched and at worst you get hit into their combo.

Ganondorf comes to mind as an example where it's far safer to rely on reads to land strong megawatt hits or charged Ram rams to connect into a gimp, while trying to land nair combos can feel super dangerous since a properly spaced nair or uair from him will cancel out almost anything Min Min can do in the air.

Combo characters work in this game when they can fish for kill confirms or combo starters with relatively low risk. Pikachu is strong imo because initiating any combo is relatively low risk and high reward, and if you mess up the combo it's likely you can use the speed of the character to reset to neutral without getting punished for the whiff in most cases.
Min Min is a character where whiffing almost any action can be extremely punishable, and when your recovery is so gimpable and being off the ledge so dangerous, you do not want to put yourself in a state to be punished. It will always be safer for her to play defensive and threaten the opponent with brutal hits if they approach incorrectly from almost any angle than it is to force yourself to think of ways to approach them in order to get a finisher. It's a mentality a lot of people don't have since a lot of what people get most hype about when watching is more unga bunga rushdown combos with as little neutral as possible.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I really love the Min Min pieces where Joker gets involved.

Maybe its just the mask element, but it could also be me imagining Min Min acting like Aika from the Persona 4 Animation. That would be a fun edit.

blueshirt314

Smash Cadet
"Min Min's not gud"

I'm kinda sad that the longer combos in the video are impractical. They are extremely character specific (I've only gotten it to work on Ike, ROB, and Ganondorf), and even the shorter combos require some very tight links because you cannot buffer full-hop aerials. For example, the first combo in the video, after landing the up-aerial, you have two options:

1. Buffer a forward jump as you land, let go of the control stick and hit B the frame you leave the ground, then start holding forward the frame after that. Otherwise, the netural aerial Ramram swings right over or next to the opponent's head.
2. Hold forward, then jump within two frames of the auto-cancel. This gives you one or two extra frames to perform the neutral aerial Ramram after you are airborne, but removes any buffering that would make this link easier.

I know one-frame links aren't impossible and can indeed be hit consistently with practice, but I still think it's going to be very, very rare to hit this full zero-to-death in-game. I've found that being even slightly outside the proper percentage invalidates these combos, as well as if the opponent is airborne when you land a neutral-B aerial or up-aerial. Combined with the fact that you either have to hit her stubby up-aerial in neutral or with the very last few frames of her down-tilt in order for these combos to work, and... these combos are cool for style videos, but I don't see people landing these in competitive matches.

That being said, I think that the concept behind the combos is really good. Knowing what arms true combo into other arms is great; for example, neutral aerial Megawatt > aerial side tilt Megawatt > Dragon Laser is very useful. Also, while being super close is not an ideal range for Min Min to be in (if they're close enough to get hit by a neutral aerial, they're too close), I think that it's cool that she can rack up some bonus damage by dragging opponents around the stage for a bit with neutral aerial Ramrams and up-aerials. Of course, if the opponent manages to sneak in a reversal, that's not good — Min Min has a horrid disadvantage state. Most of her options, combos or individual moves, are either get-off-me options or options that push the opponent to the edge, where her top-tier (I think — maybe it's too early to tell) edge-guarding can take over.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
You know, I really love the Min Min pieces where Joker gets involved.

Maybe its just the mask element, but it could also be me imagining Min Min acting like Aika from the Persona 4 Animation. That would be a fun edit.
I've low-key been seeing Joker and Min Min as sorta smash counterparts/rivals

Both prominently wear masks, were the first fighters in their respective fighter passes, had their games realeased around the same time, a little under a year apart (In fact both dropped here in the west in the 2017 calender year), Joker/Persona 5's monochrome manga-esque scheme contrasts well with Min Min/ARMS' more bright and colorful cartoony style, etc.

Idk, maybe it's just me lol

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I've low-key been seeing Joker and Min Min as sorta smash counterparts/rivals

Both prominently wear masks, were the first fighters in their respective fighter passes, and had their games realeased around the same time, a little under a year apart (In fact both dropped here in the west in the 2017 calender year), Joker's monochrome manga-esque scheme contrasts well with Min Min's more bright and colorful cartoony one, etc.

Idk, maybe it's just me lol
I can totally get that. Makes for good contrast between the two.

And as I briefly mentioned above, Min Min kinda reminds me of another Persona character, who is best showcased by their additional role in the scene below.

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
If I was still around here as my old account I would have supported Min Min along with you guys in here. Congratulations that she got in Min Min looks really fun + she cute

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Dang... Y'all like that blue alt a lot more than I thought you would...

Ain't complaining, just a bit shocked how many votes it's gotten. So much for it being "underrated" like I stated a week or so ago lol

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Dang... Y'all like that blue alt a lot more than I thought you would...

Ain't complaining, just a bit shocked how many votes it's gotten. So much for it being "underrated" like I stated a week or so ago lol
That alt is my favorite the blue/turquoise one. Min Min looks even cooler in that alt.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Hey Min Min mains, do you guys know where her Smash Discord server is located? I can't seem to find it.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
So what matchups are you guys struggling with the most?

A good Wolf player gives my Min Min a lot of **** when they constantly apply pressure.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When working with other IPs, the new developer doesn’t necessarily have to follow the original games 100%. However, they don’t have free reign either. The most important element is ensuring the characteristics and uniqueness of the original game shine in the new project.
So, it's basically 50/50 on this topic, depending on the character.

There are only 5 more DLC fighters! After they have been released, the continuous Smash development from Smash for 3DS/Wii U will finally come to an end. The team is already underway developing the remaining characters, and will continue doing their best working from home.
So, unless Nintendo forces their hand at the last minute, this is the last DLC wave. This is at least the second time he's affirmed this.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
So, it's basically 50/50 on this topic, depending on the character.

So, unless Nintendo forces their hand at the last minute, this is the last DLC wave. This is at least the second time he's affirmed this.
Sakurai and the team deserve a nice long vacation.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Okay, but he'll want to do a new game of something at some point, I know how he is. At least once he's figured out what to do with his life with Iwata no longer around to suggest things...
Very true. Sakurai is a very dedicated to his work. He is so similar to Oda as both of them are dedicated to their craft and want to stay busy.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
People underestimate Sakurai's work ethic. I'm pretty sure he's the type of person that can't just sit still and do nothing, he has to do something.

Whenever Sakurai's done Smash he's not going to be taking a vacation for a long period of time, he's likely going to start moving onto whatever his next project is and he'll likely put in as much effort into that as he does for Smash.

I see so many people concerned for his well-being and while I understand the sentiment, I also feel it's unnecessary because he does what he does because he wants to, I feel like he's honestly enjoys doing all this work (I mean he's making and playing video games for a living for pete's sake). Nintendo doesn't have him shackled to a desk in some basement somewhere forcing him to make Smash games. He has had health problems in the past, mainly during Smash 4's development, but that was him working on essentially two games at once for the Wii u and 3DS under a tighter deadline. He did mention it was a lot smoother during that game's DLC period since the workload wasn't nearly as huge. But he gives it his all, because he wants to put in the highest quality product he can, if he feels like he's not going to be able to accomplish that he won't, hence why characters like Ridley took so long for him to conceptualize.

I'm eager to see what sort of a project he'll work on next. As much as I love Smash, he's wasting his talent and creativity by doing basically just Smash at this point.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Been revisiting a lot of the random isabelle-doom guy pairings in fan art and songs and the like, and it keeps making me think how there should be something similar for Min Min and Crash from how hype it was to have both of them receive major announcements in the same morning. (or more of it rather, since I know some already exists)

In general there should be more pairings like that when game releases and announcements overlap, it's very wholesome and really celebrates gaming.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There is nothing more satisfying in the universe than punishing a Sonic player for trying to spin dash at my Min Min.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom