• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mini-Creation Thread: Rework a Fighter

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Everyone has a character that things it has an outdated moveset, a moveset that doesn't made them justice or it just could be better, well, here you can propose your ideas. This thread doesn't have jobs so feel free to post the ones you want!.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mega Man could do with a lot of his projectiles cut.

Min Min could do with a few extra non-punch moves, and either removing the hitbox on her arms or replacing them with hurtboxes would go a long way. I don't think there'd ever be a proper way to make Arms characters work in Smash though given how much the game relies on its Z-axis.

Hero needs an RNG sweep, and a lot of it. I'd personally incorporate some of his powers from the command selection into the non-special moves, though they'd be heavily nerfed and in-appearance-only

The only pre-Namco character I think needs a revamp for anything moveset other than attributes is Sonic, which I think all Smash players can agree on. Ness could perhaps benefit from some major changes, but I'd prefer the attributes of his moves be changed than the moves themselves (think more a Melee-to-Ultimate Pichu than a Brawl-to-3DS Pit)

Mii Swordfighter should perhaps be reworked into more of a ranged fighter than a zoner, but like Ness I think that should be achieved by modifying attributes, not new moves

Falco needs a revamp in the opposite direction, to be restored to his Melee self. Mario should also have FLUDD removed.

I wouldn't mind a unique Daisy; Dark Pit or Dark Samus, but that's only because their current states are borderline identical to their roots - if they had differences as major as Lucina or Ganondorf I'd want them left intact.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
In my own opinion I think Samus should have less floaty physics, she doesn't have that class of physics in her game unless she is in water (and even then, there is an upgrate to lose it). And also should have the morphball has a unique crouch instead of her down B.

And for personal bias I would like to see Kirby using more copy abilities for his attacks. Especially for his normals.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I don't think so, we don't need to include the most complicated copy abilities like Beetle, Mirror or Artists. You can do a more interesing moveset with the most basic ones like Fire, Ice, Wheel or Beam.

FazDude

Smash Master
I do think Kirby does need a little reworking, but "just add copy abilities" isn't the way to go here. I'm not exactly a Kirby expert, so forgive me if there's some obvious rework I missed, but here's some of my ideas.
  • Make Kirby's sliding kick his dash attack as opposed to his down tilt as I so often see suggested. I know that wouldn't make it 100% like the move's original purpose, but it would better suit Kirby's more beginner-orientated playstyle.
  • Kirby's Forward Smash should be the Hammer Flip as opposed to a Side Special. The SS Hammer Flip is pretty clunky, but I think it's an iconic enough ability to warrant keeping in Kirby's kit.
    • On that note, if you really wanna add more copy abilities, I'd argue smash attacks are the best way to do it (and even then, I'd be careful about the ones I'd pick).
  • Obviously, we'd have to change Kirby's Side Special if it's no longer going to be the hammer. I'm torn between the Cutter ability and the Fire ability (his current dash attack).
  • Finally, I think Kirby could do with a new Final Smash (though I don't hate Great Sword at all); I'd probably go with Hypernova from Triple Deluxe or something involving Forgotten Land's Mouthful Mode abilities.
I do plan to tackle a few more characters in this thread, but I figured I'd start with Kirby since we're already talking about him.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If anyone’s interested, I found a way to rework Kirby while keeping him beginner-friendly:
Intro: Same as before

Stance/Idle 1: His idle animation from the modern Kirby games
Idle 2: Kirby sits on the floor for a bit
Idle 3: Kirby stretches his arms out

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. Modern Kirby (default)
  2. Yellow Kirby
  3. Blue Kirby
  4. Red Kirby
  5. Green Kirby
  6. Orange Kirby
  7. Classic Kirby (white)
  8. GB Screen (Classic green)

Walk: His walk from the modern games
Dash: His dash from the modern games
Damage: His damage animation from the modern games
Jump: His jump animation from the modern games
Crouch: His crouch from the modern games

Normal Attacks
Jab: Vulcan Jab; Kirby unleashes a barrage of punches in front of him (1% each hit, small knockback); he then finishes with Rising Break, where he does a multi-hit uppercut (5%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Yo-Yo Throw; Kirby throws a yo-yo that goes forward, then returns (7%, small knockback)
Down+A: Slide; Kirby slides across the ground (4%, small knockback)
Up+A: Yo-Yo Up: Kirby throws a yo-yo that travels in an arc over his head, then returns from behind (7%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Ice Sprinkle; Kirby pirouettes in the air while using Ice Breath to hit airborne enemies around him (8%, small knockback); there is a slight chance for enemies to be briefly frozen
Air Forward+A: Giant Swing; Kirby does a vertical spinning attack hammer swing (12%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Broom Flick; Kirby flicks a broom with considerable force (15%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Whip Tornado; Kirby quickly spins his whip around above his head, hitting multiple times (14%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Beam Blast; Kirby shoots several small spherical projectiles diagonally downward in front of him (11%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Stop Dash; Kirby briefly turns into a wheel and rolls into the enemy (8%, small knockback)
Edge Attack: Kirby performs a cartwheeling kick while climbing up (9%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Break Spin; Kirby turns upside-down and dashes forward in a breakdance fashion (5%, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Toy Hammer; Kirby swings a toy hammer downward with considerable force (22%, medium knockback), which might bury opponents
Up+A: Toxic Tower; Kirby fires a geyser of poisonous liquid straight up (23%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Spark Attack; Kirby emanates a field of electricity that protects him from incoming attacks (17%, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Same as before
Pummel: Same as before
Forwards+Throw: Rolling Breaker; Kirby leaps forward performing several somersaults with his opponent in his grasp, then slams them into the ground (14%, OK knockback). Other nearby opponents are also damaged by the impact (8%, small knockback).
Down+Throw: Megaton Slam; Kirby spins around with his opponent in his grasp, then tosses them hard into the floor (15%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Air Suplex; Kirby jumps backward with his opponent and slams them head-first into the ground, creating a lightning effect upon impact (15%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Ultra Back-Breaker; Kirby spins rapidly with his opponent in his grasp while falling downward, then slams with great force (14%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Inhale
; Kirby inhales something and can either swallow it with the B button or spit it out with the A button. Swallowing a fighter copied their neutral special.
B + Forwards : Burning; Kirby performs a burning dash attack to charge through opponents (12%, OK knockback)
B + Up : Hi-Jump; Kirby jumps high into the air and can turn left or right, colliding into midair opponents along the way (8%, small knockback). Be warned, though; this can cause Kirby to hit his head on a solid surface above him, sending him into a helpless state.
B + Down : Stone; mostly the same as before, but now Kirby can charge into a bigger stone that can meteor Smash midair opponents (20% with a meteor effect, medium knockback)

Final Smash: Mouthful Mode; Kirby inhales a car from offscreen, which can hit opponents in the vicinity (5%). Opponents who get hit are taken into a cutscene where Kirby plows through everything in sight (45%, far knockback).

Gimmick: He still has the ability to copy other fighters' neutral specials.

Taunts
1: Kirby does a backflip and poses, referencing his “I’ll help you!” animation from the series
2: Kirby falls asleep for a bit in his Sleep cap
1+2: Kirby smiles and poses while producing a star, discarding his currently Copy Ability in the process

Winposes
1: Kirby jumps twice, shuffles backwards, does a breakdance, and poses while facing away from the camera
2: Kirby rides away on his Warp Star, but not before flying towards the camera and waving
3: Kirby bounces forward three times and then lands while striking another pose

Applause: Same as before
Icon: Same as before
Boxing Ring Title: The Pink Demon
Star K.O.: https://youtu.be/SD7TaaRUMJw?t=17
Victory Music: https://youtu.be/5hQJ2vywjd4

FazDude

Smash Master
If anyone’s interested, I found a way to rework Kirby while keeping him beginner-friendly:

Notable Palette Swaps:
  2. Yellow Kirby
  3. Blue Kirby
  4. Red Kirby
  5. Green Kirby
  6. Orange Kirby
  7. Classic Kirby (white)

Normal Attacks
Jab: Vulcan Jab; Kirby unleashes a barrage of punches in front of him (1% each hit, small knockback); he then finishes with Rising Break, where he does a multi-hit uppercut (5%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Yo-Yo Throw; Kirby throws a yo-yo that goes forward, then returns (7%, small knockback)
Up+A: Yo-Yo Up: Kirby throws a yo-yo that travels in an arc over his head, then returns from behind (7%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Ice Sprinkle; Kirby pirouettes in the air while using Ice Breath to hit airborne enemies around him (8%, small knockback); there is a slight chance for enemies to be briefly frozen
Air Forward+A: Giant Swing; Kirby does a vertical spinning attack hammer swing (12%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Broom Flick; Kirby flicks a broom with considerable force (15%, OK knockback)
Air Up+A: Whip Tornado; Kirby quickly spins his whip around above his head, hitting multiple times (14%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Beam Blast; Kirby shoots several small spherical projectiles diagonally downward in front of him (11%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Stop Dash; Kirby briefly turns into a wheel and rolls into the enemy (8%, small knockback)
Edge Attack: Kirby performs a cartwheeling kick while climbing up (9%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Break Spin; Kirby turns upside-down and dashes forward in a breakdance fashion (5%, small knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Toy Hammer; Kirby swings a toy hammer downward with considerable force (22%, medium knockback), which might bury opponents
Up+A: Toxic Tower; Kirby fires a geyser of poisonous liquid straight up (23%, medium knockback)
Down+A: Spark Attack; Kirby emanates a field of electricity that protects him from incoming attacks (17%, OK knockback)

Grab Game
Forwards+Throw: Rolling Breaker; Kirby leaps forward performing several somersaults with his opponent in his grasp, then slams them into the ground (14%, OK knockback). Other nearby opponents are also damaged by the impact (8%, small knockback).
Down+Throw: Megaton Slam; Kirby spins around with his opponent in his grasp, then tosses them hard into the floor (15%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Air Suplex; Kirby jumps backward with his opponent and slams them head-first into the ground, creating a lightning effect upon impact (15%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Ultra Back-Breaker; Kirby spins rapidly with his opponent in his grasp while falling downward, then slams with great force (14%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
; Kirby inhales something and can either swallow it with the B button or spit it out with the A button. Swallowing a fighter copied their neutral special.
B + Forwards : Burning; Kirby performs a burning dash attack to charge through opponents (12%, OK knockback)
B + Up : Hi-Jump; Kirby jumps high into the air and can turn left or right, colliding into midair opponents along the way (8%, small knockback). Be warned, though; this can cause Kirby to hit his head on a solid surface above him, sending him into a helpless state.
B + Down : Stone; mostly the same as before, but now Kirby can charge into a bigger stone that can meteor Smash midair opponents (20% with a meteor effect, medium knockback)

Final Smash: Mouthful Mode; Kirby inhales a car from offscreen, which can hit opponents in the vicinity (5%). Opponents who get hit are taken into a cutscene where Kirby plows through everything in sight (45%, far knockback).

Taunts
1: Kirby does a backflip and poses, referencing his “I’ll help you!” animation from the series
1+2: Kirby smiles and poses while producing a star, discarding his currently Copy Ability in the process

Winposes
1: Kirby jumps twice, shuffles backwards, does a breakdance, and poses while facing away from the camera
2: Kirby rides away on his Warp Star, but not before flying towards the camera and waving

This moveset's still a little heavy on the disjoints, and I'm not really a fan of how Kirby's N-Air can freeze, but otherwise, I think this is beginner-friendly enough.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion

Notable Palette Swaps:
  2. Yellow Kirby
  3. Blue Kirby
  4. Red Kirby
  5. Green Kirby
  6. Orange Kirby
  7. Classic Kirby (white)

Normal Attacks

Aerial Attacks

Smash Attacks

Grab Game

Special Moves

Taunts

Winposes

I find it very nice and satisfactory, the only thing I would disagree is the final smash, sure Mouthful Mode is Kirby's newest ability but I think there are better "super copy moves" for a Final Smash like the previous mentioned Hypernova or the Super Star Allies.

FazDude

Smash Master
Actually, while I'm at it, I might as well tackle a character I really want reworked; Donkey Kong.
  • First off, my biggest gripe with his design; His personality. Simply put, he feels less like Donkey Kong and more like a standard gorilla. Ultimate remedied this to an extent, but I'm still not 100% content. Make his chest beating more playful, give him his canon voice rather than generic grunts, that sort of thing.
  • Secondly, I wanna talk about his side special. I love the idea of having a move that buries belong to a grappler like DK, but... a headbutt? Really? I think this could be better done with DK slamming a barrel down (credit to Janx_uwu Janx_uwu , who came up with the idea for the SMSB creation thread).
    • On the topic of barrels, I think this is the best way to put them in DK's kit. I don't like the idea of giving DK a projectile (so that means no Coconut Shooter either, sadly).
  • I'm also not a big fan of DK's up special, either. I don't want to give DK an amazing recovery, but I feel like a Barrel Cannon could work a bit better than the Spinning Kong (even if its effectiveness would have to be toned down way more in comparison to its roots in DKC) and supports his more movement-based gameplay a bit more. However, this is more of a nitpick than anything.
  • While I'm cool with DK's Final Smash, I would have liked it more if it played more into the end-of-boss beatdowns from the Retro Studios DKC titles.
  • Finally, an aesthetical touch I would have loved to see; For DK's clapping attacks (Forward/Up Smash), visible sound waves appear. They don't do anything, but it's a nice touch that would pay homage to Jungle Beat.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
While I’m here, I think I’ll rework Sora to be a little more faithful to KH:
Intro: Sora appears from a save point and gets into his fighting stance

Stance/Idle 1: Sora holds his Keyblade near his right hip and bobs up and down a bit
Idle 2: Sora bares his teeth
Idle 3: Sora looks around for a bit

Notable Palette Swaps:
  1. KH1 outfit
    1. default
    2. KH1 Riku (yellow)
    3. KH1 Kairi (purple)
    4. Timeless River Sora
  2. KH2 outfit
    1. default
    2. Valor Form (red)
    3. Wisdom Form (blue)
    4. Roxas (white)
  3. DDD outfit
    1. default
    2. Neku Sakuraba (purple)
    3. Meow Wow & Komory Bat (blue/orange)
    4. Nightmare (black/magenta)
  4. KH3 outfit
    1. default
    2. Guardian Form (yellow)
    3. Blitz Form (green)
    4. Ultimate Form (white)
Walk: His run from the games when in combat
Dash: Sora glides across the floor
Damage: His damage animation from the games
Jump: High Jump and Doubleflight
Crouch: Crouches down on one knee with his Keyblade pointing forwards

Normal Attacks
Jab: Sora performs a 3-hit combo (9%, small knockback)
Forward+A: Slapshot / Speed Slash; Sora performs a sideways uppercut with his Keyblade (2%, OK knockback), then slashes twice (2% each hit, no knockback), and follows up with a quick uppercut (3%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Sliding Dash; Sora performs a slide across the ground, slightly farther than Cloud’s but takes a bit more windup (7%, OK knockback)
Up+A: Upper Slash; Sora swats his Keyblade upward (6%, OK knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Sora performs a 3-hit air combo (9%, small knockback)
Air Forward+A: Aerial Finish; Sora performs a strong slash with slight startup lag (13%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Aerial Sweep; Sora slashes behind himself three times (8%, small knockback)
Air Up+A: Hurricane Blast; Sora performs three vertical moonsaults (9%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Finishing Leap; Sora strikes opponents below him with his Keyblade (11% with a meteor effect, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Prism Windmill; Sora spins his Keyblade in front of him, protected by a windmill of light (8%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Last Charge; Sora lifts himself up and slams down to create a pillar of light (11%, OK knockback)
Get-up Attack: Vicinity Break; Sora sweeps the floor with his Keyblade in a 360 spin (6%, OK knockback)

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Guard Break; Sora thrusts his Keyblade forward (16%, OK knockback), dealing considerable shield damage
Up+A: Magic Flash; Sora raises his Keyblade upward as a light flashes from the teeth (15%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Explosion; three orbs of light surround Sora as he thrusts his Keyblade down to the ground (22%, medium knockback)

Grab Game
Grab: Sora grabs the opponent with his open hand
Pummel: Sora headbutts the opponent with that thick skull of his (2%)
Forwards+Throw: Quick Blitz; Sora hops up and swings in a downward arc (9%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Fail-Safe; Sora spins once before tossing the opponent on the ground, leaving a small explosion (11%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Merge; Sora spins around backwards before hurling the opponent in that direction (8%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: Lunging Launch; Sora lunges forward and launches the opponent diagonally in front of him (10%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Magic
; Sora can select a magic spell from his list, similar to the Hero. Once a spell is selected, it will stay on that spell until another is selected, which can be done on the fly. You can cancel the selection by pressing the Shield button.
  • Firaga: Sora shoots a fireball from his Keyblade (6% each, small knockback)
  • Blizzaga: Sora shoots a spreading burst of snowflakes that freezes the opponent (8%, small knockback). Using this in the air has Sora shoot diagonally downward
  • Thundaga: Sora summons three bolts of lightning from his Keyblade (5% each, OK knockback)
  • Aeroga: Sora surrounds himself in a windy barrier that halves damage taken and reflects projectiles. The spell lasts for 10 seconds, and he can’t use it again during this time; there's a 10-second cooldown between uses.
B + Forwards : Sonic Blade; Sora swiftly thrusts up to three times, during which he can move in any direction after the first input (6% each, small knockback). If you repeatedly press the button without tilting the control stick, you will lock onto any nearby opponents.
B + Up : Rising Spiral; Sora rises high up with a spinning slash (16%, OK knockback)
B + Down : Counterattack; Sora guards and uses a different counter depending on what hits him
  • If hit by a physical attack, the opponent stumbles as Sora retaliates with Counter Slash (damage depends on the power of the countered attack)
  • If hit by a projectile, Sora slides towards the opponent with Counter Kick (damage depends on the power of the countered attack)
However, if an especially powerful attack hits Sora, his guard is broken; the damage is stopped, but Sora is stumbled himself

Final Smash: Sealing the Keyhole; Sora traps fighters in a door (6%). Fighters who are trapped are taken into a cutscene where Sora locks the door, which then explodes (45%, far knockback). Any fighters above 100% are instantly K.O.’d.

Gimmick: Grand Magic; for every successful hit with your current spell, the meter above Sora’s HUD slowly fills. Once it’s full, pressing B when the Situation Command appears activates that spell’s Grand Magic form. Only one Situation Command appears at a time, and that spell will appear for 20 seconds.
  • Firaza has Sora summon a burst of fire around himself (23%, medium knockback)
  • Blizzaza has Sora shoot an icicle that explodes, freezing any opponents in the radius (20%, medium knockback)
  • Thundaza has Sora conjure a massive lightning bolt (22%, medium knockback)
  • Whenever you use a Grand Magic tier of a spell, that spell enters a 15-second cool down period
Taunts
1: Sora wipes his nose and smiles
2: Sora jumps up and says “Yeah!” while raising his left fist
1+2: Sora puts his hand on his chest and says “My friends are my power!”

Winposes
1: Sora's first victory animation from KH1, whenever he wins a tournament in Olympus Coliseum
2: Sora's second victory animation from KH1, whenever he wins a tournament in Olympus Coliseum
3: Sora closes up to the camera and performs the Funny Face Special

Applause: Sora claps for the opponent
Icon: The heart and crown in KH series logo
Boxing Ring Title: The Keyblade's Chosen One
Star K.O.: https://youtu.be/XgtJ3E5-I_A?t=558
Victory Music: Hand in Hand
Kirby Hat: Sora's hair and necklace; Kirby's Magic is slightly altered
  • Kirby can't use Grand Magic, instead cycling between Firaga, Blizzaga and Thundaga
  • Aeroga is unavailable

Last edited:
Top Bottom