• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mini-creation thread: Assist Trophies (Job #12: Metal Gear)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Nothing really grand for a creation thread, just submit an idea for an Assist Trophy according to the prompt. Just know we won't be reverting former Assist Trophies.

1. Hammer Bros.
  2. Chain Chomp
  3. Waluigi
  4. Thwomp
  5. Klaptrap
  6. Skull Kid
  7. Moon
  8. Midna
  9. Ghirahim
  10. Metroid
  11. Mother Brain
  12. Nightmare
  13. Knuckle Joe
  14. Chef Kawasaki
  15. Andross
  16. Krystal
  17. Jeff
  18. Starman
  19. Samurai Goroh
  20. Tiki
  21. Lyn
  22. Black Knight
  23. Phosphora
  24. Ashley
  25. Gray Fox
  26. Knuckles
  27. Shadow
  28. Burrowing Snagret
  29. Kapp'n
  30. Wily Capsule 7
  31. Zero
  32. Ghosts
  33. Riki
  34. Guile
  35. Rodin
  36. Callie & Marie
  37. Alucard
  38. Color TV Game 15
  39. Sheriff
  40. Devil
  41. Takamaru
  42. Dr. Wright
  43. Flies & Hand
  44. Sable Prince
  45. Sukapon
  46. Isaac
  47. Nintendog
  48. Starfy
  49. Dr. Kawashima
  50. Vince
  51. Nikki
  52. Dillon
  53. Yuri Kozukata
  54. Arcade Bunny
  55. Spring Man
  56. Bomberman
  57. Akira Yuki
  58. Rathalos
  59. Shovel Knight
  1. King Bob-omb
  2. Stanley the Bugman
  3. Cranky Kong
  4. Guardian
  5. E.M.M.I.
  6. Burt the Bashful
  7. Dark Matter
  8. Walker
  9. Porky
  10. Pegasus Sisters
  11. Eggplant Wizard
  12. Pyoro

Job #1: Submit a Mario Assist Trophy

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
This could totally be fun, but are we supposed to submit just a character and then vote on what they do once summoned or do we include their gameplay mechanics in our submission?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Dope then I've got some ideas to throw in.

Job #1: King Bob-omb

1651864080740.png

One of the most iconic yet underused bosses in the whole Mario franchise, King Bob-omb would allow the fighters to recreate the first boss battle of Super Mario 64. Similar to how Electrode can be picked up and thrown, so can this Assist Trophy. As soon as he's summoned, the fighter who summoned him will immediately be holding onto him and forced into their heavy carry state. This sounds bad, and with really unfortunate timing it could be really bad, but it's still dangerous to approach an opponent carrying the king, even if they've been slowed. Once the fighter throws him, he becomes a powerful (if short ranged) projectile while he arcs through the air. Think Mii Brawler's shot put ball. He will NOT explode in midair if he makes contact with a hurtbox like the Bob-omb item, he'll just slam into them and keep flying til he hits the floor. The real gimmick comes once the king lands on the ground, where he'll land on his butt and explode in a blaze of glory, damaging anyone nearby. He works like Steve's TNT or Hero's Kamikazee where the further you are from the explosion, the less damage you take, but it's still a giant hitbox.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
oof voting came on a super busy weekend for me but looks like fortune shone down on me lol, nice

Job #2: Stanley

1652130810170.png

Including a human under the Donkey Kong banner feels wrong, but this man is a DK classic! Plus SSBU puts his Spirit in the DK category so y'know. The most famous fumigator in gaming, once released from his Assist Trophy, will start to move like he does in his arcade game. He'll land on the nearby ground and start running to the side until he reaches a ledge, where he'll turn right back around and run to the other ledge. This continues for a bit 'til his timer runs out and he disappears. All the while, he sprays his gas directly upwards, trying to get at any bugs or gorillas that might appear. These bursts of gas will be a first for Smash: a damaging windbox. Similar to Mr. Game & Watch's old up aerial, the blasts will push the fighters that they hit upwards without causing any flinching, screwing with their momentum. However, like Piranha Plant's side special, they will also cause a damage over time effect that also doesn't cause flinching. Since the gas is poisonous and all.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I vote for Cranky, I guess I don't known too much about DK to made a assist before, maybe when the job changes to Kirby or Metroid I will do something more.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay, decided to add both the AT's, since there's a tie!

Job #3: Submit a Zelda Assist Trophy

My submission: Guardian
SSBU_spirit_Guardian.png
This big dude would primarily be in the background, shooting horrifyingly powerful lasers at opponents. However, you can break one of its legs to topple it over, making it easier to K.O.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Fun fact Phantom Hourglass was the first video game I ever owned.

Job #3: Linebeck

1652576932400.png

The deuteragonist of Phantom Hourglass makes use of one of the most unique control schemes in the entire Zelda series in his Assist Trophy appearance. When summoned, he'll quickly teleport away and reappear in the foreground, at the bottom of the screen. Don't worry, he won't cover up anything important like Nintendog. The very bottom part of the screen, up to just above the damage counters, will be inundated in water, making the percentages a little blurry. More importantly, the SS Linebeck will appear floating atop the water, with a silhouette of Linebeck at the bow. Its iconic cannon will proceed to fire cannonballs from the foreground into the battlefield, sort of like a reverse version of the cannon turret from the Pirate Ship stage. The kicker here is that, just like how the boat follows the path of your stylus in the game, the SS Linebeck will follow the fighter who summoned it as they move across the stage, moving left or right in turn. The cannons will always just miss the summoner, meaning they'll be periodically surrounded by explosions which they can use offensively by approaching the other fighters.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Guardian is one of my most wanted Assist Trophies of all time tbh, that or stage hazard. Or hell even boss. It would just be so cool to fight against it in a Smash setting.

1. Guardian
2. Linebeck
3. Revali

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
oh sick this thread's back! Might as well go with the most obvious option...

Job #4: E.M.M.I.

1653623996359.png

The Extraplanetary Multiform Mobile Identifier has become one of the fanbase's favorite enemies in the entire Metroid franchise. Hell, with its foreboding presence, eerie sounds, terrifying chase sequences, and shockingly violent one-hit-kill, it's become one of the most fan favorite mooks in recent Nintendo history. The relation to a comeback of one of the most beloved series probably didn't hurt. The E.M.M.I. is almost certainly going to be represented some way in the next game, so why not start here? As an Assist Trophy, it'll scale walls like its home game. In this way, it will work a lot like the Hothead item, moving up and down walls and underneath ceilings, clinging to a surface the whole way through. When it comes into contact with an enemy player, it'll grab hold of them hard and prepare to unleash its devastating piercing attack. Getting hit by this would do a crazy 50% worth of damage. If the fighter was already over 100% damage, it's an instant KO. This is pretty OP, so you can wriggle out of it by mashing movements like normal grabbing assists. That'll cause the E.M.M.I. to release you and continue its prowl. However, if you instead press your attack button at just the perfect moment before the pierce, that'll remove the E.M.M.I. from play entirely.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #4: Submit a Metroid Assist Trophy
Hmm... okay, there's some personal bias from me here, but let's do this!

Character Name: Trace
Character Origin: Metroid Prime: Hunters (2006)
Character Alignment: Kriken Empire

Photo Origin: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (SSBWiki)

Who?
Trace is one of the six new characters introduced in the DS title Metroid Prime: Hunters. A new instalment of the Prime series, it introduces six Hunters from across the universe, all of whom are drawn by an unknown force to acquire a source of infinite power in the Alimbic Cluster. Trace is one of these Hunters.

Trace himself is a bounty hunter of the Kriken Empire, a major faction in the universe that is allied against both the Galactic Federation and the Space Pirates (both factions agreeing that the Kriken ought to be destroyed, despite not as of yet working in unison to achieve this goal). The Kriken Empire is known for its exceptionally violent nature, with Trace himself being a young Kriken sent to find planets to conquer as part of his role as a bounty hunter, as a rite of passage for their people.

What?
In this game, I think it'd be a good idea to really play into the various abilities that Trace specifically possesses. Whilst many concepts for arguably Hunter's most prominent new character, Sylux, suggest that he'd act as a representative of all of these characters, Trace alone possesses quite a lot of unique skills and abilities that would make him a frightening force - such as his use of the Imperialist, a long-range, sniper-like weapon with zooming capabilities, the Triskelion, an alternate form for him that has him biomorph into a three-legged version of himself, and the ability to become invisible seemingly at will.

How?
In terms of Trace's nature, he'd be allied with the fighter that summons him. During this process, he'll act in one of two ways in relation to an opponent. Firstly, he's able to turn invisible at will, and doing so will allow him to move freely and position himself as needed. Now, he'll be able to set up one of two attacks.

The first is his use of the Imperialist, during which he'll act to move away from the opponent and attack with ranged hits from across the battlefield. The shots fired have a stunning effect and quite high damage, but low knockback due to the nature of their distance and the like. This does allow the fighter summoning him to take this opportunity to attack, however. If approached closely whilst in this mode, he'll try and slash opponents away with his other arm. Notably, the shots fired from this weapon can be intercepted by walls, items, or other fighters, and it'll have a unique visual effect in the form of a laser sight, indicating from across the field as to where he's going to fire.

The second is his use of the Triskelion, during which he'll fold into that form, crawling toward the opponent. Notably, he's able to crawl up vertical surfaces and even onto ceilings in order to hunt them down, moving at quite a rapid pace before activating his Jump Strike attack on them, which deals quite high damage and knockback. However, if he misses the jump, he'll be locked in that arc until he lands. He'll attempt a Jump Strike twice before reverting to the Imperialist as a method of attack.

Why?
Aside from my own personal biases toward Trace specifically, I find him to be a quite interesting presence in the canon of Metroid Prime as a whole. A representative of the Kriken Empire, one of the only forces destructive enough to have come even close to uniting the Space Pirates and the Galactic Federation, he acts well as a sort of third-party. Not only this, but he's vital representation for the DS console, which you have to remember is Nintendo's best-selling console of all time. He represents a quite experimental, but important title - Hunters - notable particularly due to it being the full version of First Hunt, a demo included as a launch title for the system. Not only this, but he leaves open characters like Sylux to get a playable role in hypothetical DLC or anything of the like - a character more notable in the Prime series as a whole. Lastly... I think his abilities, appearance, and overall vibe fits the role well. Trace is a cold and calculated emissary of a violent and horrifying presence that we barely know in the Prime series, and I think that idea of representing the wider universe of the Metroid series is a good place to go with a concept such as this.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
1. E.M.M.I. (Despite being a much newer enemy from the Metroid series, I think that the very unique nature of E.M.M.I, paired with its positive reception overall, would make it a really solid AT - even if it wouldn't work so well as playable.)
2. Omega Metroid. (I really like the idea of representing an older title, and Metroid II: Return of Samus would be really cool to see here. Not only that, but I think the design of it would be really cool, and it wouldn't be conflated with the Metroid trophy already present.)
3. Sylux. (I loved Hunters, mostly because it was actually one of my earliest pieces of exposure to the Metroid series, and Sylux is very interesting to me. I think his nature as a presumably-recurring character would make him really cool to see too!)

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
  1. Trace (A lot of effort on the explanation, I like Noxus more but Prime Hunters rep is always welcome)
  2. Omega Metroid (Pure bias)
  3. Raven Beak (Kino)
Honestly all the ideas are great, it was hard to decide my top 3.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
1. Trace
2. Omega Metroid
3. E.M.M.I.

Something completely unexpected like Trace is very fun and the description of what he could do in battle is just as unnerving as Metroid should be represented.

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
latest.png

Poochy
When spawned, Poochy will first attack fighters independently of what surface he's on however, similarly to how it works on the Infinite thread, 3 Poochy pups will appear and when a player gets them all Poochy will attack the nearest fighter harder thanks to the other 3 Poochy Pups

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
unzips

Job #5: Burt the Bashful

1654126231783.png

Perhaps the more enduring midboss from the first Yoshi's Island game, Burt the Bashful's appearance as an Assist Trophy would be a simplified version of his boss fight. Once he's summoned, he stands very tall, about two and a half times the height of the tallest fighter, Ridley. After that, he'll pick a random direction and do a high jump that way. He does some damage to anyone but his summoner on the way up, and way more on the way down. After a beat, he'll pick another random direction and high jump towards it. Then one more time. Each time, the force of his own landings lowers his pants some. After the third landing, the pants will be all the way on the ground, causing him to become so embarrassed that he deflates like a balloon and disappears. However, the pants have a certain amount of hidden HP, so hitting Burt in his lower area will lower his pants in advance will cause him to flee in embarrassment before his third landing. If a player is really, really fast with a lot of hard-hitting attacks, Burt might even only get one jump in.

Top Bottom