• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Minecraft Steve be like

lilw44

Smash Rookie
Imagine playing as and perfecting a character since smash 64, participating in as much smash tournaments as possible, having the ability to learn from each and every mistake, perfecting the character more and more as the games go by, just to get three-stocked by a Minecraft Steve player who practiced with him for five minutes.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

“Learn the matchup” goes double if not triple for Steve. There’s a good chance you don’t know enough on how to properly deal with him, but the above video from someone in Japan was nice enough to give all the tips and tricks.

Steve also has a surprisingly bad shield which we can take advantage of.

As for PMLG, some counterplay to it.

More counterplay on blocks.

Last edited:

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman
¤

hi. hbih blah u. is this you?

anyway. answering.

just random fun information.

but the characters that transferred from "smash 64" and onward play very differently than wence they came from. i think thats how you say it. haha. and even from melee. or some. i think.

¤

Last edited:

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513

“Learn the matchup” goes double if not triple for Steve. There’s a good chance you don’t know enough on how to properly deal with him, but the above video from someone in Japan was nice enough to give all the tips and tricks.

Steve also has a surprisingly bad shield which we can take advantage of.

As for PMLG, some counterplay to it.

More counterplay on blocks.

For the most part that is all true and effective ways to counter Steve, but when it comes to the first video there's already a comment I left on it explaining why some of it isn't really true, I'll copy and paste it here.

0:58 Yeah rolling away from spammed up-tilts works, but obviously good Steve players aren't gonna be mindlessly spamming up tilt

1:05 No Steve is just going to anvil on your shield at a range where you can hit them unless they're going for the Gimr shield break setup, but if they for some reason do, yeah this works.

1:10 This is pretty good to catch a Steve off guard once, but then they start building walls and crafting.

6:16 This only would work on a select few Steve mains, yes quite a few Steve mains do craft stone, but then there are the Steve mains that go straight for iron, as they don't use dair or side b as much, but the things about the blocks are accurate, wood is easier to deal with than stone when it comes to blocks. (I'd also like to add an extra note here, you should also consider what tools they use to mine, probably avoid stages they use the shovel on, so they waste durability on some of their combat tools mining)

13:51 This actually isn't why we use TNT in recovery, we use it when sent far away so that we can use another minecart, since the TNT lets us stall for just long enough for the minecart to fall into the blast zone and despawn, allowing us to use another, you actually should break crafting table, since we want to keep our cheaper resources in order to use them on table and not use our valuable stuff, I can't even tell you how many times the table spawned and used my last bit of iron right before I needed it and I died because the opponent was constantly breaking the table throughout the match.

15:00 We're never trying to waste resources in the first place, we want to have things, if we miss a TNT ledgetrap, we just used a lot of resources that could've been used better, even weaker walls like dirt and wood still get us decent mining time, and those resources are also the only blocks we can use to reliably do an anvil grab to drag someone to the bottom blast zone. (Alright I watched further and he said how some Steve mains won't waste cheaper resources, which is basically all of us, I have never seen a Steve willingly waste stuff.)

16:48 Yes, we can ony use the TNT up-tilt setup on these stages with platforms at this height, but we can also use up-smash on slightly heigher platforms, so it isn't really limited to these stages, we can technically do this setup on any stage with platforms, we can even do it with a 3 high block that has a TNT on it using up-smash.

17:46 Alright first, this isn't limited to only battlefield and small battlefield, we can do this on other stages, and even the ones where we can't plank, sky mining is still a thing we can use to still mine off-stage, and we can also plank more under the stage, so we can avoid getting punished for planking, but this is something that universally works on planking for every character, and it's called breaking the table, when you do this, Steve gets less resources than he loses, so that can actually help you reliably punish planking.

19:34 Shovel breaking does still matter, as we get resorces slower when mining with our fists.

25:03 This isn't reliable in the slightest, Steve does not have to finish his wall, he can also do other setups like two blocks walls, or the staircase.

Besides all of that, this guide has it right, everything I didn't correct can do well against Steve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom