• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindset during Friendlies

Coninator

Smash Rookie
NNID
coninator123
What is the best mindset for friendlies to improve to most? On what you guys whatch the most and how can you keep your compousre? It`s pretty hard to find solutions on what you`re doing mid-match because obviously you have to concentrate still on the actual match. Your tipps?

SSBM_Mirai

Smash Rookie
I would take it super seriously and rage if you lose. Possibly carry an extra controller so you can throw your current one. (kidding. krazyzyko basically covered it.)

Last edited:

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Try out new stuff you might think work.
For instance, I play friendlies with this one super good marth at my local every now and then @Tichinde925
He's the epitome of what a player should be like in friendlies imo. Carefree and relaxed, just there to have fun and try some wacky stuff on the opponent.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
iAmMatt iAmMatt I agree with the carefree, do you think that trying out new things is a good way maybe the best way to improve?
Definitely not the best way to improve, but it is a good way. Learning what works and what doesn't on your own is a great way to improve and learn how the game itself works. Whenever a friend or someone asks me, "does this combo/setup work?", I always respond with, "try it yourself". That's how I learned how to play the game and I think that hands on learning is much more beneficial than notes/online resources.

Coninator

Smash Rookie
NNID
coninator123
I think it`s the funniest way to improve and trying out new things can get pretty creative. I feel when you try to hard just to win you miss out a lot of necessary things in neutral and you always do the same thing over and over.

Jonah Thunder

Smash Rookie
My approach to friendlies is usually just to go for all of the hard things, because it's a step up from practicing tech alone; you have an actual person reacting to you and pressuring you. Besides that, just go for the goofy disrespect and taunts.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
Honestly, during friendlies I don't take it seriously, have fun and warm up my characters. It's a nice way to get some practice in and help me relax when I play against other people.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I look at friendlies as practice. If it's too laid back, I don't get into the complicated situations and nuances I normally would so I don't learn anything. This is why I also hope my opponents in the friendlies see it this way - you will both get more out of it if you're both applying yourselves. Luckily, you can usually snap people into it by beating them badly over and over lol (which will happen if you are playing more seriously which is required to practice properly).

Of course, it is fun to sometimes just have a laugh and do whatever. I don't think it's bad to do that, and I definitely do it myself sometimes, but I think it would be silly to say I am not having fun when playing serious, too. That's the whole reason I play the game in the first place.

Last edited:

rivers

Smash Cadet
everything else has p much already been said but I'll add some specifics

I'm always trying to work on reading people. Because even if they're sandbagging, they're probably going to have habits that I can pick up on. I don't care if they're doing it intentionally, it's good practice.

Top Bottom