• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Min Min Leads Off the Second Fighters Pass

min_min_arms_herself.jpg

After confirming in March that the first character in the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 would come from the ARMS franchise, Nintendo has revealed that Min Min will be the next fighter to join the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster!

As Sakurai has done for every DLC character starting with Hero, a presentation was prepared to show off the new character. Due to the ongoing pandemic, the presentation took place entirely within Sakurai's home, as his team was unable to access the studio. However, Nintendo had supplied Sakurai with recording equipment so the presentation could proceed as normal.

Regarding why Min Min was selected to become a fighter in regards to the rest of the ARMS character list, Sakurai explained that the decision came from the ARMS director, Mr. Yabuki, who told Sakurai "I want Min Min". Mr. Yabuki later elaborated that even though Spring Man might have appeared to be the "main character" that was advertised the most on box art, he believes that "Everyone's the protagonist".

Min Min joins the roster with several unique gimmicks, such as her being able to punch with her left arm as her Neutral Attack and punch with her right arm as her Neutral Special, her having two different Up Special moves depending on whether she is grounded or not, and the fact that she can effectively change weapons in the middle of the round with her Down Special.

The stage that comes bundled with Min Min is Spring Stadium, modeled after the Spring Stadium that appears in ARMS, which comes with Jumping Platforms that allow for the player to jump extremely high when standing on one, damaging anyone who they come in contact with.

2020-06-22 (4).png

As with the other DLC fighters, Min Min represents her franchise by bringing 18 new music tracks with her, two of which are remixes (marked with an asterisk). They are:

• *ARMS Grand Prix Official Theme Song
  • Spring Stadium
  • *Ramen Bowl
  • Ribbon Ring
  • Ninja College
  • Mausoleum
  • Scrapyard
  • Cinema Deux
  • Buster Beach
  • Snake Park
  • DNA Lab
  • Sky Arena
  • Via Dolce
  • Temple Grounds
  • Sparring Ring
  • [NAME REDACTED]
  • Vs. Hedlok
  • ARMS Grand Prix Final Battle
2020-06-22 (6).png

Lastly, five more Mii Fighter outfits were made available for purchase this time around. They are:

• Ninjara (from ARMS)
  • Heihachi (from Tekken)
  • Callie (from Splatoon)
  • Marie (from Splatoon)
  • Vault Boy (from Vault Boy / Fallout)
2020-06-22 (3).png

Min Min, along with her stage and associated song list, will be available June 29th for $5.99 USD.

Last edited:
UtopianPoyzin

Comments

Very excited to see her as I mained her in ARMS. She looks like a lot of fun once you master her.

Spirits being fair game also gives me a lot of hope for Geno.

Very excited to see her as I mained her in ARMS. She looks like a lot of fun once you master her.

Spirits being fair game also gives me a lot of hope for Geno.
same thing for shadow queen there is hope.

Not only can I enjoy my favorite ARMS character joining the roster, but I get to rub in the fact that I was right and these stupid fan rules don't mean squat, especially when they have clear and obvious contradictions to them. Remember folks, most people have no idea what they're talking about when they're trying to argue why your favorite character can't get in. Don't let them fool you into thinking otherwise.

Not a bad choice considering it's at least a character from a Nintendo franchise that isn't Fire Emblem. Still though, it just seems like the new characters are either chosen based on what's fun to make or what unpopular game needs extra promotion. I liked Arms... initially. It has limited appeal though and seems to have precluded other Nintendo boxing games (such as Punch-Out or Wii Boxing). I don't care that this character is already a Spirit since Spirits kinda mean nothing to me.

Still though, Smash seems to be getting less popular especially because of the Joy-Con Drift. My original Joy-Cons have the Drift and I have had to replace them with another pair that hasn't been used for at least two years. I may not even be able to play current Switch games because of this.

I didn't care much for an Arms rep, respect the addition and fully understand it, just not for me as I have no attachment or interest in the IP. But I'm glad all these months of mystery weren't just for the most obvious pick possible in Spring Man. The upgrade of a spirit is interesting, I was camp that it wasn't likely to happen but I was always open to be proven wrong as, lets be real, there's no need to be so serious over the speculation of a videogame roster, and I found the rudeness of either side of the spectrum annoying to say the least. That said, I don't think that suddenly we'll just see spirit promotions in this pass, and AT and Mii costumes (at least those added through DLC) still look like no gos for now.
Anyhow, hoping the next DLC is more up my alley, I'm not expecting much and it's not like I wasn't satified with some of the additions in the base roster and first pass, but at least getting 1 more character that I like throughout this would be cool.

Last edited:
I wasn’t planning on watching the whole thing because I don’t care about ARMS, but I found myself finishing the entire presentation because Sakurai is such a charming guy.

I was expecting Min-Min but sad that we don’t have a Hero situation or that Dr. Coyle wasn’t chosen. Also, while Spirits aren’t the hard deconfirm as we once thought, I do think that ARMS is special case and that this doesn’t necessarily mean that all Spirits are candidates for a promotion. While the door is open for a select few, that door is still otherwise closed for the majority. Was it me or did this presentation go by quickly? It seemed super quick. I was surprised Sakurai didn’t go into Spirits at all. While I enjoy this content, I was hoping we could see actual models of the ARMS fighters like we saw previously rather than character banners. Also, oh my god, Vault-Boy!! Simply amazing! As a long time Fallout fan, I’m ecstatic. While I’m still holding out for Doom Slayer or Dragonborn, this has me in limbo as it would have made sense to include him in a Bethesda Pack. Has my cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
I am so incredibly happy to have read that ARMS HAS NO PROTAGONISTS was directly stated in this direct.
I've argued that since 2018 when Smash Ultimate was announced.

I have never wanted to SMASH gloat so much. I have about 200 people to tag. What's the kind way to do this? I wil not allow my old battlecry to be called "revisionist."

I was expecting Min-Min but sad that we don’t have a Hero situation or that Dr. Coyle wasn’t chosen. Also, while Spirits aren’t the hard deconfirm as we once thought, I do think that ARMS is special case and that this doesn’t necessarily mean that all Spirits are candidates for a promotion. While the door is open for a select few, that door is still otherwise closed for the majority.
Agreed. ARMS was an exception because it's 1st party, or because Sakurai wanted an ARMS rep from the start, or both. To me, that door is closed hardest on western characters and indie characters. I know Banjo and Kazooie are playable, but it's like you said: special cases can be made.

Last edited:
Now after her we need DANTE or KOS-MOS or SORA because yeah Nintendo stop with the 1st party characters!
We only got 2 first-parties in a row when the first wave of DLC had 4 third-parties in a row. But if you want another third-party, at least Shantae is now free to join Smash when Min Min broke the Spirit barrier.

Two questions:

1) when will the character be playable?

2) any early read on competitive viability? I would think not high tier if she has trouble against characters that jump a lot and have small hitboxes (since many of the best characters fit this criteria)

Two questions:

1) when will the character be playable?

2) any early read on competitive viability? I would think not high tier if she has trouble against characters that jump a lot and have small hitboxes (since many of the best characters fit this criteria)
1) 29th
2) I'm thinking Mid-high tier...she'll definitely struggle against the top tier pikas, and zero suit and rush down fighters like that while she'll definitely have an edge against slower fighters as well as other campy fighters.

I'm thinking Mid-high tier...she'll definitely struggle against the top tier pikas, and zero suit and rush down fighters like that while she'll definitely have an edge against slower fighters as well as other campy fighters.
To be honest, I think she’ll end up being lower than that. I’m viewing them to be a slightly better zoner than Simon/Richter because she has mobility options in her Up Special, but like Simon/Richter, she has a lot of vulnerabilities and will have a very hard time with targets in the air. But she won’t be out until the 27th so we’ll see. There’s a lot of hype surrounding them right now but we won’t know how good she really is until the dust settles.

The one thing I know is that a duo Min Min team in doubles will be a nightmare to face.

Last edited:
To be honest, I think she’ll end up being lower than that. I’m viewing them to be a slightly better zoner than Simon/Richter because she has mobility options in her Up Special, but like Simon/Richter, she has a lot of vulnerabilities and will have a very hard time with targets in the air. But she won’t be out until the 27th so we’ll see. There’s a lot of hype surrounding them right now but we won’t know how good she really is until the dust settles.

The one thing I know is that a duo Min Min team in doubles will be a nightmare to face.
I too kind of feel that Min Min may run into similar issues like what the Belmonts have. But unlike the Belmonts, Min Min would have better overall mobility at the cost of lower weight; the stronger mobility may also help Min Min's overall recovery.

I too kind of feel that Min Min may run into similar issues like what the Belmonts have. But unlike the Belmonts, Min Min would have better overall mobility at the cost of lower weight; the stronger mobility may also help Min Min's overall recovery.
Yeah, I feel like Min Min will have better recovery options getting back on stage than the Belmonts.

Why did they make a character that is bad against the typically good characters and good against the bad ones

would have been more interesting if the play style allowed for “bad against DK, good against Pika”

Why did they make a character that is bad against the typically good characters and good against the bad ones

would have been more interesting if the play style allowed for “bad against DK, good against Pika”
I really don't think they intentionally designed her to be that way. That's just how she turned out with the tools they gave her. She's a decently quick zoner that can play very well from a distance and force others to approach, this is literally the 'bad against fast, good against heavy' archetype in Smash.

Not a bad choice considering it's at least a character from a Nintendo franchise that isn't Fire Emblem. Still though, it just seems like the new characters are either chosen based on what's fun to make or what unpopular game needs extra promotion. I liked Arms... initially. It has limited appeal though and seems to have precluded other Nintendo boxing games (such as Punch-Out or Wii Boxing). I don't care that this character is already a Spirit since Spirits kinda mean nothing to me.

Still though, Smash seems to be getting less popular especially because of the Joy-Con Drift. My original Joy-Cons have the Drift and I have had to replace them with another pair that hasn't been used for at least two years. I may not even be able to play current Switch games because of this.
I ended up buying that 3rd Party JoyCon with an actual D-Pad that can only be used attached to the Switch, that is, of course, a limitation, but I haven't had issue with Joy Con Drift yet and just use a Pro Controller or Gamecube Controller for most games when playing on TV.

Top Bottom