• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mimikyu Just Wants Some Friends! Mimikyu for Smash 5!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Nintendo/The Pokemon Company had a plan when they created Mimikyu. I remember when it was revealed to the public back in 2016, and can't recall another Alolan Pokemon getting talked about more on social media. Casual Pokemon fans and even non-Pokemon players/genwunners seemed to like the design and emphasize with the backstory. Fast forward a year, and Mimikyu was, and still is, the most marketed generation 7 Pokemon. It ranked #2 on the official Japanese Sun & Moon popularity poll. #1 was Rowlett, and I doubt a lot of it transfers to Decidueye - or else he would have been in the top 5 (almost like a Braixen/Delphox situation). Even a quick search on Amazon shows that Mimikyu products are more frequently bought than any other generation 7 ones - all at similar prices and released around the same time. I'm pretty confident that Sakurai was told about the idea behind Mimikyu and the potential popularity that it would stir. That's why I see it as the most logical Pokemon newcomer.
The only Alolan poke that came close at the time was Alola Exeggcutor, and even then it was a gap compared to Mimikyu.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
He probably doesn't mind getting beat-up, given he's so desperate for human touch.
Ouch that is sad. Also not healthy. Man Mimikyu, you are valued and beautiful and have worth beyond what you believe.

Nah, I just want some more variety in the loss poses. Really missed the ices crying and PokeTrainer's shame in Smash 4. But supposedly the more positive and good sport animations make losses easier to take/less frustrating for players in the real world. Pretty sure that was why Splatoon 2's loss animations were toned down a bit from Splatoon 1.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Seeing the Gamefreak support for this Pokémon makes me believe that he has a really good chance of getting in.

I know most Pokémon fans seem to want Decidueye, but Sakurai usually pulls in a different Pokémon from what most fans want or expect. Plus it would be nice to see a Pokémon from a generation other than 1 that doesn’t look like a fighter, as Lucario and Greninja are tall and don’t have cutesy designs.

Count me in as a supporter.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
The only Alolan poke that came close at the time was Alola Exeggcutor, and even then it was a gap compared to Mimikyu.
True that. I don’t think that Mimikyu is getting in just because it was popular after its reveal. I think it has the best chance of all Alolan Pokemon because The Pokemon Company intentionally designed it to be popular and probably told Sakurai.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Mimikyu won't cry if he lose. That's lame. He'll just end his existence.
Jesus... So he'd take his disguise off and disintegrate in the sunlight while also cursing the victor (since they'd have to see uncloaked mimikyu.) Kill two birds with one stone.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Can I be added to the list, please?
I have been supporting him for a long time but never thought about joining the thread.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76868944/906238487

The same guy who said Decidueye isn't making it has apparently just deconfirmed Mimikyu. For reference this guy also leaked Echo fighters, Ridley, and everyone returning before Ultimate was shown at E3. Could always be wrong though so take it with a grain of salt. I'm hoping it isn't true since Mimikyu was my most wanted Gen VII character after Decidueye.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76868944/906238487

The same guy who said Decidueye isn't making it has apparently just deconfirmed Mimikyu. For reference this guy also leaked Echo fighters, Ridley, and everyone returning before Ultimate was shown at E3. Could always be wrong though so take it with a grain of salt. I'm hoping it isn't true since Mimikyu was my most wanted Gen VII character after Decidueye.
I want to remind everyone about the Smash 4 leak that was considered real, but ultimately proven false by Chrom and Chorus Kids. Not to say some leaks aren’t credible, but they usually have misfires that ruin them. I would wait until we get the usual full screenshot of the entire roster select before looking to deep into leaks. That at least has an image to prove something.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I want to remind everyone about the Smash 4 leak that was considered real, but ultimately proven false by Chrom and Chorus Kids. Not to say some leaks aren’t credible, but they usually have misfires that ruin them. I would wait until we get the usual full screenshot of the entire roster select before looking to deep into leaks. That at least has an image to prove something.
Gematsu was absolutely real, but outdated. Rhythm Heaven character data exists on the Wii U version and Sakurai went as far as making a moveset for Chrom before dropping him. And considering he doubled down on Ridley being an E3 reveal, I doubt that Vergeben's info is outdated.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Gematsu was absolutely real, but outdated. Rhythm Heaven character data exists on the Wii U version and Sakurai went as far as making a moveset for Chrom before dropping him. And considering he doubled down on Ridley being an E3 reveal, I doubt that Vergeben's info is outdated.
Actually the leak was considered less credible after many events. One being the main Pokémon being labeled X and Y rep, which came true but was extremely vague and could be predicted, as well as the exclusion of Rosalina from the list. He also seemed to leave out Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr., even in his second revision. It also wasn’t outdated as Sakurai apparently always saw Robin as the playable character from the start. Here’s the quote from the official Wiki;
“However, in a Famitsu column after the reveal, Sakurai stated that, while he considered Chrom, he was always in favor of adding Robin instead, as he saw the former would just be another Fire Emblem swordsman having nothing unique to differentiate him from Marth and Ike, while the latter provided a plethora of unique moveset options and better represented Fire Emblem.[6] Lucina was initially conceptualised as an alternative costume for Marth, and then, ironically, got upgraded to a separate playable character when Sakurai decided to change her attacks and physics to distinguish her from Marth. As such, it would seem Chrom was never actually planned to be playable, going against the claim that the leaker's information was outdated, and instead supports the notion that the leaker made up information and guesses in the subsequent leaks.”
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Gematsu_leaks

The leak was fake, it got things right, but mainly went off of easy assumptions with the only “crazy” pick being Wii Fit.

I highly doubt Verge is credible, he has no images, and I just can’t see him being a credible source.

To put it in perspective, RelaxAlax predicted the return of every fighter, Ganon using swords, and Ridley being in Smash, so technically he is just as if not more credible than verge.

Verge predicted the Ice Climbers coming back, but that was a given as they were going to be on Wii U anyway. He predicted Ridley, but that to was highly speculated beforehand. Even the return of every fighter was a big idea that was thrown around, so what makes Verge credible? He seems to just be correct on obvious choices.

He’s already been called out multiple times for getting things wrong, so to me he’s nothing special or credible by any means
I would just wait for the full roster image to come out a few weeks before release.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Actually the leak was considered less credible after many events. One being the main Pokémon being labeled X and Y rep, which came true but was extremely vague and could be predicted, as well as the exclusion of Rosalina from the list. He also seemed to leave out Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr., even in his second revision. It also wasn’t outdated as Sakurai apparently always saw Robin as the playable character from the start. Here’s the quote from the official Wiki;
“However, in a Famitsu column after the reveal, Sakurai stated that, while he considered Chrom, he was always in favor of adding Robin instead, as he saw the former would just be another Fire Emblem swordsman having nothing unique to differentiate him from Marth and Ike, while the latter provided a plethora of unique moveset options and better represented Fire Emblem.[6] Lucina was initially conceptualised as an alternative costume for Marth, and then, ironically, got upgraded to a separate playable character when Sakurai decided to change her attacks and physics to distinguish her from Marth. As such, it would seem Chrom was never actually planned to be playable, going against the claim that the leaker's information was outdated, and instead supports the notion that the leaker made up information and guesses in the subsequent leaks.”
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Gematsu_leaks

The leak was fake, it got things right, but mainly went off of easy assumptions with the only “crazy” pick being Wii Fit.

I highly doubt Verge is credible, he has no images, and I just can’t see him being a credible source.

To put it in perspective, RelaxAlax predicted the return of every fighter, Ganon using swords, and Ridley being in Smash, so technically he is just as if not more credible than verge.

Verge predicted the Ice Climbers coming back, but that was a given as they were going to be on Wii U anyway. He predicted Ridley, but that to was highly speculated beforehand. Even the return of every fighter was a big idea that was thrown around, so what makes Verge credible? He seems to just be correct on obvious choices.

He’s already been called out multiple times for getting things wrong, so to me he’s nothing special or credible by any means
I would just wait for the full roster image to come out a few weeks before release.
Absence of information is not information of absence. The Gematsu leak never claimed to have the full roster, so the absence of Rosalina and Duck Hunt literally doesn't matter.

Greninja being labeled "X and Y Pokémon" actually SUPPORTS it being real but outdated. Shortly after Greninja was revealed Sakurai said he wanted a Pokémon from X and Y but didn't choose Greninja specifically until some time later. In other words, Greninja was originally a vague placeholder, just like in the leak.

Don't use the wiki, use Source Gaming. Sakurai has come out and said that Chrom was under heavy consideration in the beginning, to the point where he even made a moveset for him.

Add onto this that Rhythm Heaven had a series symbol in with the playable characters in the data (stages were kept in a separate folder) and that Gematsu had the Miis listed as "Mii Fighters" specifically, and the answer is abundantly clear. It was real, but came from a very early point in development, before the project plan was finished.

Say what you will about Vergeben, but denying Gematsu at this point just seems ignorant of the mountain of proof it left behind.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Absence of information is not information of absence. The Gematsu leak never claimed to have the full roster, so the absence of Rosalina and Duck Hunt literally doesn't matter.

Greninja being labeled "X and Y Pokémon" actually SUPPORTS it being real but outdated. Shortly after Greninja was revealed Sakurai said he wanted a Pokémon from X and Y but didn't choose Greninja specifically until some time later. In other words, Greninja was originally a vague placeholder, just like in the leak.

Don't use the wiki, use Source Gaming. Sakurai has come out and said that Chrom was under heavy consideration in the beginning, to the point where he even made a moveset for him.

Add onto this that Rhythm Heaven had a series symbol in with the playable characters in the data (stages were kept in a separate folder) and that Gematsu had the Miis listed as "Mii Fighters" specifically, and the answer is abundantly clear. It was real, but came from a very early point in development, before the project plan was finished.

Say what you will about Vergeben, but denying Gematsu at this point just seems ignorant of the mountain of proof it left behind.
I guess I just don’t trust leaks. I can’t deny that Gematsu got things right, I even stated that, but it was outdated and equally left things out and got things wrong. I just generally don’t trust leaks, especially if the source seems uncredible like Verge who is said to get multiple things wrong.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I personally don't find vergeben credible at all so I wouldnt worry about it guys~

3 Links, and 3 Pikachu's, sign me up for the Mimikyu supporters list! :colorful:
It still makes me wonder tho. What if he's right? Mimikyu is my most wanted so it did kind of kill my hype for the rest of the game.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
It still makes me wonder tho. What if he's right? Mimikyu is my most wanted so it did kind of kill my hype for the rest of the game.
He's been wrong about more things than he was right about them. Anybody can be right about a few things if they just keep saying a bunch of random things over and over.. like i said that type of behavior doesn't show any kind of credibility at all lol

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Mimikyu de-confirmed.

This is what I honestly been expecting. Glad I took the leak into consideration, making the realization less tense.

Still can't hate Sakurai tho.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Like Charizard, maybe pokeball assist is a start? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Nah, dog.

Staarih

Smash Master
Well, that’s that I guess. I think after all the Verge rumors I was starting to lose a little hope in Mimikyu anyway, so in a way it’s good to have confirmation at least.

Happy to see Mimikyu in at any capacity tho.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I'm disappointed, but his attack looks so cool that I'm really just glad that he's in the game at all. His attack is just so creepy and fun, especially the way it just leaves the empty costume on the ground after.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm disappointed, but his attack looks so cool that I'm really just glad that he's in the game at all. His attack is just so creepy and fun, especially the way it just leaves the empty costume on the ground after.
I am also. As much as Sakurai does, playing as a character you grew attached to is one of the best ways to vent. Mimikyu was truly my last want, now its never happening.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Well, realistically, I had to expect this. After all, didn't Mimikyu become popular around 2016? How could Sakurai have known that, so yeah, it's fine. It still hurts a little, but everything else in this game is so ULTIMATE!

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Well, realistically, I had to expect this. After all, didn't Mimikyu become popular around 2016? How could Sakurai have known that, so yeah, it's fine. It still hurts a little, but everything else in this game is so ULTIMATE!
This was Mimikyu's only chance of making it. Pokémon is constantly expanding generations, which doesn't help a lot of Pokémon. I just thought uniqueness would have mattered more.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
This was Mimikyu's only chance of making it. Pokémon is constantly expanding generations, which doesn't help a lot of Pokémon. I just thought uniqueness would have mattered more.
I think things might have been different if Sakurai created the roster when gen 7 was already established. I believe when he chose Greninja, they didn't know it would become popular, but by good luck it did. For this game, I do believe he chose one of the starters hoping it would be popular, but as it turns out Mimikyu very well may be more popular than any of the starters, but it's too late in development to change.

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
Mimikyu is my second favorite Pokemon (only behind the Puff, of course), it's a shame he won't be in the game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think things might have been different if Sakurai created the roster when gen 7 was already established. I believe when he chose Greninja, they didn't know it would become popular, but by good luck it did. For this game, I do believe he chose one of the starters hoping it would be popular, but as it turns out Mimikyu very well may be more popular than any of the starters, but it's too late in development to change.
But did he have to revert Mimikyu to a pokeball tho? We could have had Mimikyu as potential DLC in this case.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad that Mimikyu is a Pokeball Pokemon; since I could see Pikachu using the Pokeball to have Mimikyu help him out and then take out his idol's Foes!!

PF9

Smash Lord
Mimikyu has a lot of friends here, but it didn't have the one friend that mattered the most - Sakurai.

Will Team Rocket ever get a representative? Meowth in the next game maybe the OG criminal organization's only hope for now.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sad about Mimikyu :/ now Pokémon-wise I'm really not looking forward to anyone getting it (especially when my second choice, Meowth, is also a no-show)

But I won't lie, if Vergeben's Pokémon source is real, I'm curious to see who's the Gen VII they found that isn't Decidueye, Mimikyu or Lycanroc. My bet would be Zeraora, but I heard that Vergeben heard from a source it was Incineroar?

Top Bottom