• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mimikyu Just Wants Some Friends! Mimikyu for Smash 5!

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I pick Mimikyu because I dont think that we're not getting to grass starters like Greninja and Squirtle water starters and I think Decidueye even know I love to see Decidueye it will be to obvious normally Sakurai likes to add characters to troll the fanbase and Mimikyu is those type character that will break the internet and Mimikyu is popular in Japan, the Pokemon Company loves Mimikyu, and he got his on song. The reason I want Mimikyu is to see to have Mimikyu vs Pikachu I so need that I dont know I see him as a Poke ball where he trap players but if he was playable that will be his final smash obviously Z move right dont know that much about Pokemon theres has to be a gen 7 rep Sun and Moon is so better than X Z it will be shocking if none of Gen 7 Pokemon appears playable.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Big supporter of this one. One of the best pokemon designs in the entire series imo and I'm sure Sakurai would make him a more interesting fighter than the Alola starters or Lycanroc.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I pick Mimikyu because I dont think that we're not getting to grass starters like Greninja and Squirtle water starters and I think Decidueye even know I love to see Decidueye it will be to obvious normally Sakurai likes to add characters to troll the fanbase and Mimikyu is those type character that will break the internet and Mimikyu is popular in Japan, the Pokemon Company loves Mimikyu, and he got his on song. The reason I want Mimikyu is to see to have Mimikyu vs Pikachu I so need that I dont know I see him as a Poke ball where he trap players but if he was playable that will be his final smash obviously Z move right dont know that much about Pokemon theres has to be a gen 7 rep Sun and Moon is so better than X Z it will be shocking if none of Gen 7 Pokemon appears playable.
I'm at the point if I were Sakurai, I would put Decidueye in as DLC. It does have potential but there's no surprise factor around it anymore. I don't get it personally.

Mimikyu gets hate for being a Pikachu fake but at least its completely unique.

D

Deleted member

All right guys,

The project plan was finished in December 2015, when DLC for the previous game was still being developed. Gathering staff together for the new Smash was done later.
We haven't seen Mimikyu get and Lycanroc's anime appearance might have been too late for Sakurai to know. This could be big for us.

I'm getting a feeling we're seeing a newcomer in July for Pokémon. IMO, it's either Mimikyu or Lycanroc at this point and I'm feeling a lot better about Mimikyu now.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I just ran into a Mimikyu web comic, which was heartfelt. I don't think I want a villain Mimikyu anymore but I feel like a rival to Pikachu is too much to pass up.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Ashley + Mimikyu for my spook squad

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Gonna be honest, I’ve had a hard time getting into newer Pokémon games, though I did enjoy X/Y quite a bit. I never finished Sun/Moon.

But I love Mimikyu. Easily one of the best Pokémon designs in years. And I think the best Gen 7 rep. His moveset could be so interesting as a ghost/fairy type

D

Deleted member

I just ran into a Mimikyu web comic, which was heartfelt. I don't think I want a villain Mimikyu anymore but I feel like a rival to Pikachu is too much to pass up.
Is it the one by Final Smash Comics? If so, I absolutely love that one and would enjoy seeing more of it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Is it the one by Final Smash Comics? If so, I absolutely love that one and would enjoy seeing more of it.
It is. Both versions are like a 50/50. I decided and have to take the direct Pikachu rival, personally. I want to see as much baddies on the roster as possible.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It is. Both versions are like a 50/50. I decided and have to take the direct Pikachu rival, personally. I want to see as much baddies on the roster as possible.
I also think you can fit in both versions. It wants to KO Pikachu and possibly the competition as a whole so it can be loved as the winner. I actually love the idea of it fighting aggressively but then in it's victory animations it is cute and overjoyed to be the center of attention. It also obviously cries in it's loser animation.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
All of the design document stuff bodes very well for Mimikyu to the point I'm convinced this is the Pokemon we're getting. Lycanroc has no chance if we take the design document remotely seriously, so Mimikyu is back to tangling with his original rival again.

Mimikyu does a great job of reaching across the aisle from people who like standard "cute" things to people who like quirky and monstrous characters like me. Most of the naysayers right now are just from people who think he couldn't have a moveset, but they'll change their tune if he is actually confirmed. This guy'll be a big retroactive breakout hit if he gets in.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
All of the design document stuff bodes very well for Mimikyu to the point I'm convinced this is the Pokemon we're getting. Lycanroc has no chance if we take the design document remotely seriously, so Mimikyu is back to tangling with his original rival again.

Mimikyu does a great job of reaching across the aisle from people who like standard "cute" things to people who like quirky and monstrous characters like me. Most of the naysayers right now are just from people who think he couldn't have a moveset, but they'll change their tune if he is actually confirmed. This guy'll be a big retroactive breakout hit if he gets in.
Absolutely, it'll be the same level as "Ridley was so predictable" :rolleyes:

UserKev

Smash Champion

What I also love about Mimikyu, it remind me of the most difficult to defeat enemies in Subspace Emissary.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Definitely my most wanted Pokemon in Smash.
Honestly I only see a few options if we were to get a new Pokemon.
One of the S&M starters (Decidueye being the fan favorite of the 3 for Smash because of its typing, but I feel as if Pokemon Trainer represents the basic starter type trio well.)
Lycanroc- I think this Pokemon is less of a Lucario situation and more of a Zoroark situation.
And one that I don't see thrown around a lot- Nihilego or another Ultra Beast.
Personally I'd like to see Mimikyu and get the rest as Pokeball summons. Maybe get Beast Balls for a few Ultra Beasts (or just have a few be in the Master Balls.) I think it'd be fun to see a Pokeball-assist Nihilego Attach to the summoners head and boost the attack power but make your character a bit heavier/more unwieldy.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo/The Pokemon Company had a plan when they created Mimikyu. I remember when it was revealed to the public back in 2016, and can't recall another Alolan Pokemon getting talked about more on social media. Casual Pokemon fans and even non-Pokemon players/genwunners seemed to like the design and emphasize with the backstory. Fast forward a year, and Mimikyu was, and still is, the most marketed generation 7 Pokemon. It ranked #2 on the official Japanese Sun & Moon popularity poll. #1 was Rowlett, and I doubt a lot of it transfers to Decidueye - or else he would have been in the top 5 (almost like a Braixen/Delphox situation). Even a quick search on Amazon shows that Mimikyu products are more frequently bought than any other generation 7 ones - all at similar prices and released around the same time. I'm pretty confident that Sakurai was told about the idea behind Mimikyu and the potential popularity that it would stir. That's why I see it as the most logical Pokemon newcomer.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I’m a supporter of Mimikyu, it’s the one character I want in more than any other. And incredibly likely too

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Depends who GameFreak wanted to push early on and in what state Sakurai saw Sun & Moon.
I would say they were definitely pushing Mimikyu to be a popular Pokémon in promotions, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they also used it for Smash. Decidueye just has that Chrom stench, idk

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I would say they were definitely pushing Mimikyu to be a popular Pokémon in promotions, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they also used it for Smash. Decidueye just has that Chrom stench, idk
It's hard to tell if they always wanted to push Mimikyu or if the promotional push was after its reveal and in response to its popularity.

Hell, the project plan could have left empty slots for a Pokémon or FE character to be decided on at a later date which actually would benefit Mimikyu.

Supposedly project planning started in late 2015. Mimikyu was revealed in 2016. Sakurai has left blank spots for the series with rtating casts in his smash project plans before.

I imagine Pokémon will probably get another fighter because they always have and this is the first Smash after the Pokémon Go craze, but that released in 2016 so really it would probably have more of an effect on increased Pokeball Pokémon if anything.

It's always hard to tell because Smash lags behind in most cases.

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
To me, they definitely tried to push Mimikyu. Although its lore isn't "deep" by video game standards, no other non-legendary Alolan Pokemon got the level of backstory that it did. The whole "I want to be Pikachu" thing was definitely an attempt to make it popular.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
To me, they definitely tried to push Mimikyu. Although its lore isn't "deep" by video game standards, no other non-legendary Alolan Pokemon got the level of backstory that it did. The whole "I want to be Pikachu" thing was definitely an attempt to make it popular.
It has a lot of appearances in the game along with a memorable fight with the totem pokemon... I guess a good way to see who Gamefreak wanted to push would be how and how much each character was used in the games.
That still leaves us with the starters, Rockruff/Lycanroc, and Nihilego as well.

So with Sakurai in mind he might look for something unique. PT already shows off the starters and the 3 basic type trio & Lucario has a similar edgy canine sort of thing/similar silhouette (this might be a bit of a stretch.)

Mimikyu might have a similar issue with its silhouette or non Pokemon fans seeing it as a third Pikachu on the roster. As for the Ultra Beasts- their designs are kind of out there.

It really is hard to say who, if any (just to be safe) would make the cut this time around. I think the deciding factor comes down to when a Pokemon character was chosen (if any) and who GameFreak was wanting to market.

Actually- I guess the anime would be a good place to look for who GF wanted to promote. Mimikyu has a pretty memorable role in the anime so far. If Nihilego/Ultra Beasts had a movie already I would have said it was much more likely.

R.O.B.B.E.D

Smash Rookie
I was initially reluctant to support Mimikyu in Smash because of similarities to Pikachu but I've changed my mind. As a game that brings together mascots and representatives from popular games and franchises, I think Mimikyu is perfect to represent Sun/Moon and as way to play with Pikachu as a mascot. I thought Decidueye would be a better addition because of its design and typing, but it has too many similarities to Greninja. Both are starters that are edgy/cool but lacking backstory or personality. Mimikyu is the perfect combination of being a fun new addition to pokemon lore, interesting backstory that hooks people, a little bit creepy but also cute, and would have a pretty cool move set.

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
Add me to the support list. Mimikyu has such a great design and backstory, being both creepy and adorable at the same time. I'll be really disappointed if they choose another gen 7 pokemon over him.

BandanaDeemon

Smash Apprentice
2nd most wanted character add me to support (edit:also best Pokémon)

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'll join in on this support train. Mimikyu always stuck out to me from the very first reveal of it as a Pokemon, and it's the only one from Gen 7 that's continued to do so. There are a lot of good and often times, emotional backstories for Pokemon, but it's not often that you see it so deeply integrated into the Pokemon's design.

I hope Mimikyu gets its chance.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Tbh I hope they expand the Mimikyu costumes in the next gen Pokemon game. I know it isn't likely, but it'd be cute to see a few other popular Pokemon be made into disguises- I'd buy every plush variant if it happens.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Tbh I hope they expand the Mimikyu costumes in the next gen Pokemon game. I know it isn't likely, but it'd be cute to see a few other popular Pokemon be made into disguises- I'd buy every plush variant if it happens.
yeah that would be cool, even if it was just pichu raichu and alolan raichu

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I wouldn't say it's that unlikely. Mimikyu's design could easily be changed up for an Eevee or a Gen 1 starters design.
That'd be great but I hope it wouldn't just gen 1 stuff...
You think if they did this they would give it other elemental attacks then electricity to match the outfits? In that case, I guess the starters would be the most likely bets then...

Luminario

Smash Lord
That'd be great but I hope it wouldn't just gen 1 stuff...
You think if they did this they would give it other elemental attacks then electricity to match the outfits? In that case, I guess the starters would be the most likely bets then...
They just love their Gen 1 pandering, so the Gen 1 starters + Eevee seem to be the most likeliest of choices and probably the easiest to make a set out of that works with Mimikyu's current look. I'd love a Ralts one though.
They could give Mimikyu the Fire Blast/Hydro Pump/Solarbeam TM attacks if they go down that road. It'll be easy and those moves are unreliable enough to not make it's type coverage abusable.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
They just love their Gen 1 pandering, so the Gen 1 starters + Eevee seem to be the most likeliest of choices and probably the easiest to make a set out of that works with Mimikyu's current look. I'd love a Ralts one though.
They could give Mimikyu the Fire Blast/Hydro Pump/Solarbeam TM attacks if they go down that road. It'll be easy and those moves are unreliable enough to not make it's type coverage abusable.
It is getting to the point where I am getting a knee-jerk negative reaction everytime gen 1 is shoved down my throat (again.) I grew up with it, the original 2 gens were among some of my first video games that I have played, but my god please GF and PC-throw a bone to the rest of the fans who like other generations too.

I get it, from a marketing move gen 1 has the strongest brand recognition but every gen has its standouts that would be nice to see as well.
Oh well... end rant.

UserKev

Smash Champion
This would be great. I ran into an argument that Mimikyu may become the obscure Pokémon but other Mimikyu disguise varieties of mimicking other Pokémon can definitely prevent it and is an obvious idea.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Mimikyu is the one fighter I really, truly want to see happen in Smash Ultimate. It's my favourite Pokemon of all time, it's adorable, it has plenty going for it in terms of Gamefreak support, and it has loads of potential for a fun and creative moveset. Count me in as a supporter!

UserKev

Smash Champion
There are barely any Mimikyu leaks. What is this saying? I'm just ready for this to be over with.

Just with Mimikyu generally on the victory screen feels nice.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
There are barely any Mimikyu leaks. What is this saying? I'm just ready for this to be over with.

Just with Mimikyu generally on the victory screen feels nice.
Here's hoping that in a few months' time we'll be looking at victory screens with a full HD Mimikyu on them.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I feel like Mimikyu might cry if he lost because he just wanted to be loved....

Top Bottom