• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mimikyu Just Wants Some Friends! Mimikyu for Smash 5!

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
The only competitors for a gen 7 pokemon slot I can think of are Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc, and maybe Zereora (or however you spell it).

If we get a gen 7 newcomer I'm 98% certain it will be one of these or Mimikyu.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Like I said before, Mimikyu could potentially operate as a Smash Run enemy.

As for potential 7th generation reps, Buzzwole could be considered too, as the Beast Boost ability (exclusive to Ultra Beasts) could serve as a unique mechanic for it.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

As for potential 7th generation reps, Buzzwole could be considered too, as the Beast Boost ability (exclusive to Ultra Beasts) could serve as a unique mechanic for it.
Personally, I think a few alien Ultra Beasts would make way more interesting enemies to fight as opposed to Mimikyu.

Mimikyu on the other hand has a personality that connects to certain players. Buzzwole doesn't really have a personality.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Personally, I think a few alien Ultra Beasts would make way more interesting enemies to fight as opposed to Mimikyu.

Mimikyu on the other hand has a personality that connects to certain players. Buzzwole doesn't really have a personality.
I guess I simply like the idea of a playable Ultra Beast, especially with the idea of implementing Beast Boost as a new mechanic. But right now, only two of them would really work as playable characters.

In regards to potential Pokemon series enemies, Nihilego, Xurkitree, and Kartana would probably come to mind, especially if Ultra Space is made into an Adventure mode stage.

UserKev

Smash Champion
As well as a playable character. You can't knock off Sakurai's imagination, dude. If Sakurai makes the same assumption, THEN.

I wrote a argument for this scenario that I can't believe went unnoticed.

It may take Sakurai's Mimikyu for them to see. Mimikyu has amazing chemistry for Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i saw that in a recent pole asking japanese fans their favourite gen 7 pokemon mimikyu was second to rowlet so id say that his main obstacle

as for ultra beasts i think its not to unlikely wed get one but i think itd be poipole you know how the anime influences things

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As well as a playable character. You can't knock off Sakurai's imagination, dude. If Sakurai makes the same assumption, THEN.
I won't drag this argument further, so I'll simply state that there really isn't anything about Mimikyu that screams playable for me, but seeing it as a Smash Run enemy has been on my mind the other day.

Staarih

Smash Master
I won't drag this argument further, so I'll simply state that there really isn't anything about Mimikyu that screams playable for me, but seeing it as a Smash Run enemy has been on my mind the other day.
Well, you're in the Mimikyu thread which is for people who support Mimikyu to become playable, so when you come and say you don't think it'll happen, there's bound to be questioning.

Anyway, while I whole-heartedly want Mimikyu in as a playable character, if that won't happen for a reason or another, Mimikyu will totally appear in Smash in some form, it's too popular to go completely unnoticed. So a Pokéball Pokémon or an enemy or at least a trophy.

But playable would be best.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, you're in the Mimikyu thread which is for people who support Mimikyu to become playable, so when you come and say you don't think it'll happen, there's bound to be questioning.

Anyway, while I whole-heartedly want Mimikyu in as a playable character, if that won't happen for a reason or another, Mimikyu will totally appear in Smash in some form, it's too popular to go completely unnoticed. So a Pokéball Pokémon or an enemy or at least a trophy.

But playable would be best.
While on the subject of popularity, I do recall that Rowlet is ranked #1 for the most popular 7th generation Pokemon, so going by your logic, it would be very dumb for it to get the cold shoulder by Decidueye, whom last I've checked, is far less popular than the other two fully evolved 7th generation starters.

Of course, Smash 3DS / Wii U never gave Froakie any kind of cameo, so anything could happen at this point.

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
i saw that in a recent pole asking japanese fans their favourite gen 7 pokemon mimikyu was second to rowlet so id say that his main obstacle

as for ultra beasts i think its not to unlikely wed get one but i think itd be poipole you know how the anime influences things
Seeing as that popularity poll came long after the Smash Switch roster was finalised, I don't think that poll helps Mimikyu's chances at all. What does help is that out of the main feasible candidates from Sun and Moon (i.e. Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc, Mimikyu), Mimikyu was the only one revealed to the public by the time the roster can have been estimated to be completed - to much fan approval - so it was the only one with a known positive reception. It's not conclusive by any means but if Sakurai wanted to choose a Pokemon he knew was already a hit with fans, Mimikyu stands out a lot more than Bewear or Tapu Koko as a fighter choice.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Man I want to make a moveset for Mimikyu. Sometime after finals I will.

Also please rally towards Mimikyu in RTC, I want to rate him and Spyro before E3.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Seeing as that popularity poll came long after the Smash Switch roster was finalised, I don't think that poll helps Mimikyu's chances at all. What does help is that out of the main feasible candidates from Sun and Moon (i.e. Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc, Mimikyu), Mimikyu was the only one revealed to the public by the time the roster can have been estimated to be completed - to much fan approval - so it was the only one with a known positive reception. It's not conclusive by any means but if Sakurai wanted to choose a Pokemon he knew was already a hit with fans, Mimikyu stands out a lot more than Bewear or Tapu Koko as a fighter choice.
why do people always think the the final roster is finalised at the beginning of development despite the fact that what we knoe from the development of all smash games disproves this

Antimatter042

Smash Apprentice
why do people always think the the final roster is finalised at the beginning of development despite the fact that what we knoe from the development of all smash games disproves this
On the contrary, Sakurai has explicitly stated that the roster is indeed finalised at the beginning of development. All the later roster changes are characters with far different circumstances than Mimikyu (who at the latest would be filling a placeholder set aside for it). The only example of an unique character getting in late is Sonic, who was planned, but refused and then admitted later by SEGA. He also derailed the entire development and got the game delayed, which is a thing that the project plan gets produced to prevent. Melee was a 13 month mad dash with Sakurai cramming in last minute clones to fill the roster, but did have a planned set of original characters with only a few like Ganondorf and Roy showing up unplanned, while Smash 4 upgraded a few alternate costumes to playable status in a move that took negligible development time. Toon Link in Brawl was also a clone thrown in while Sonic was worked out, and Wolf and Jigglypuff, while not clones, are still pretty derivative characters who again only got in because of a delay. Hell, even Sonic is full of ball attacks and borrowed moves to make things easier in development. Mimikyu's got a unique body type, requirements for animations that can't feasibly be borrowed from elsewhere and a potential gimmick no other character replicates in Disguise. If Mimikyu isn't a premediated inclusion at the start of development, it isn't happening at all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
On the contrary, Sakurai has explicitly stated that the roster is indeed finalised at the beginning of development. All the later roster changes are characters with far different circumstances than Mimikyu (who at the latest would be filling a placeholder set aside for it). The only example of an unique character getting in late is Sonic, who was planned, but refused and then admitted later by SEGA. He also derailed the entire development and got the game delayed, which is a thing that the project plan gets produced to prevent. Melee was a 13 month mad dash with Sakurai cramming in last minute clones to fill the roster, but did have a planned set of original characters with only a few like Ganondorf and Roy showing up unplanned, while Smash 4 upgraded a few alternate costumes to playable status in a move that took negligible development time. Toon Link in Brawl was also a clone thrown in while Sonic was worked out, and Wolf and Jigglypuff, while not clones, are still pretty derivative characters who again only got in because of a delay. Hell, even Sonic is full of ball attacks and borrowed moves to make things easier in development. Mimikyu's got a unique body type, requirements for animations that can't feasibly be borrowed from elsewhere and a potential gimmick no other character replicates in Disguise. If Mimikyu isn't a premediated inclusion at the start of development, it isn't happening at all.
thats not what finalised means, they may have an idea of the roster but characters are cut roster padding is added the roster always changes during development and you cant assume that development of this smash will play out the same as the last one

i think youre misunderstanding my point, i never suggested mimikyu was a late inclusion i referred to the poll as it seemed to prove that mimikyu was as popular as we all thought even with the fandom that may influence smash the most

gen 7 is nearly two years old, we have no idea when smash switch began development, greninja proved that a pokemon doesnt have to have been revealed to the public to have them in from the start there has been plenty of time to develop mimikyu into a unique character

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
HOLY S***!!!!! Definitely put me on the supporters list. Also, I don't have Pokemon Sun OR Moon. But, I do have Pokemon Ultra Moon. So, I'll do what I can with his moveset.

Side Smash - He rams the opponent
A-A-A - Tail Whip, Tail Whip, Headbutt
Side Tilt - Tail Whip
Down Tilt - Headbutt

Side Air - Shadow Claw
Down Air - Similar to Pikachu's

Neutral Special - Shadow Ball - He charges up a Shadow Ball and does 15 - 20%
Down Special - Substitute - Just like Greninja's Down Special

Final Smash - Let's Snuggle Forever (Z-Move)

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played Pokemon HeartGold, Pokemon Black, Pokemon Black 2, Pokemon X, Pokemon Omega Ruby, and Pokemon Ultra Moon. But, I definitely support this.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Mimikyu's day in the RTC, come down and show your support.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I've come to the conclusion that anyone that doubts Mimikyu's potential as a fighter is quite simply not familiar with Pokémon at all.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It's so bizarre for me to see Decideueye and Mimikyu fans but heads so much since they are my two favorite Gen 7 Pokemon and I'd be glad to have either of them get in. Plus they are both ghost types! Like I would rather Mimikyu but I wouldn't be dissapointed in Decideueye either. Lycanroc on the other hand lol

UserKev

Smash Champion
It's so bizarre for me to see Decideueye and Mimikyu fans but heads so much since they are my two favorite Gen 7 Pokemon and I'd be glad to have either of them get in. Plus they are both ghost types! Like I would rather Mimikyu but I wouldn't be dissapointed in Decideueye either. Lycanroc on the other hand lol
I rarely see Mimikyu and Decidueye supporters butt heads. I liked your post but now I rather see something new. I'm just tired of seeing it. It has forced hype, there's no surprise factor to it. Its in Pokken Tournament. While that isn't ultimately a argument against it, it does have what was intended. I'll rather Mimikyu or Incineroar. We need less of the humanoid Pokémon gimmick. At the same time though, Incineroar is exceptional because still, he'd be something entirely new. I would like to look at Pokken Tournament as a build up but, it doesn't work. Smash is a bigger opportunity.

Mimikyu is what its supposed to be. A fake joke that can K.O an original.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I would just rather see a cuter oddball Pokemon than another humanoid fighter.

Mimikyu would be such a breath of fresh air for the game.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
Mimikyu has quite a few possibilities, I really doubt we have Decidueye, Sakurai loves to surprise us and they are not going to put on an obvious Pokémon that everyone expects, do not you remember Greninja?

If Pichu was in Meele, I do not see why not put another "Pikachu" in the game, and this time with an original moveset.

I'm support.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The humanoid Pokémon is becoming increasingly annoying to me. We also have many arrow users in the game. While the popular Grass/Ghost starter does have unique potential, all of the arrows just start to look the same.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ok so no pokeball deconfirmation.

The fact that we have the starter trio bodes well imo because that was half of the reasoning for Decideueye. I do think a Sun and Moon rep is still very likely.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ok so no pokeball deconfirmation.

The fact that we have the starter trio bodes well imo because that was half of the reasoning for Decideueye. I do think a Sun and Moon rep is still very likely.
I do not expect a Pokemon newcomer anymore, personally. We now have Pikachu, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu, Lucario, and Greninja. That's nine Pokemon, more than any single series has ever had.

I could still see something for DLC, but Sakurai does care about series balance, and that's a lot as is.

Cart Boy

Smash Rookie
I'm glad Mimikyu hasn't been seen as an NPC yet, it's the seventh generation critter I most want to play as in Smash and I hope it makes it in. Count me in as a supporter, friends!

Luminario

Smash Lord
I do not expect a Pokemon newcomer anymore, personally. We now have Pikachu, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu, Lucario, and Greninja. That's nine Pokemon, more than any single series has ever had.

I could still see something for DLC, but Sakurai does care about series balance, and that's a lot as is.
I have to agree, with so many Pokemon on the base roster already we might not get any other Poke newcomer. Mimikyu's chances unfortunately dropped quite a bit, though it's now flying ahead of any starter in the race.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I really don't see how that limits a Pokemon chance seeing as on roster spots it's equal to the Mario Series (With Mimikyu it would be 8 just like Mario's currently).

I really don't see Sakurai thinking there are too many Pokemon reps as a reason to not add a Pokemon from Sun and Moon especially when there are so many good options....but I definitely didn't expect the return of transformations so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really don't see how that limits a Pokemon chance seeing as on roster spots it's equal to the Mario Series (With Mimikyu it would be 8 just like Mario's currently).

I really don't see Sakurai thinking there are too many Pokemon reps as a reason to not add a Pokemon from Sun and Moon especially when there are so many good options....but I definitely didn't expect the return of transformations so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm with you. There's definitely more newcomers yet to be reveled.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Here is a custom icon for Mimikyu I made based off the new HUD icons from Smash Bros Ultimate. I was debating with myself wether or not to include the whole drawn face on it considering It's technically not Mimikyu's actual face though I thought they might not go with that, so here you go. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
After doing some research for this Pokemon for today's RTC, I think I'm on board. Seems like a fun fighter idea (even though they look super similar to pichu and pikachu, but that's the point isn't it?)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Another thought on "Series Balance" is that the Mario Series was able to receive two newcomers and a returning veteran last game. So I don't think it's that crazy for Pokemon to receive 2-3 returning veterans and 1 newcomer.

Seriously, Mimikyu or not, I'll be pretty bummed if Alola doesn't get represented with how big it was for Nintendo, all because we got Pichu back lol.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think Pichu would be holding Mimikyu back honestly, that's like saying Luigi held back Wario just because he's another italian in overalls.

I can see Mimikyu being handled in a similar case as how Wario was done, where it tries to fight like or outclass Pikachu, but does it in a more quantity over quality type manner, not really in a clone sense though, its moves would still be unique. It just tries to imitate Pikachu while trying to uphold its disguise and failing a bit.

At least for the normals, It's specials would be entirely its own thing.

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/7z2ifz/gen_7_popularity_poll_results_for_both_pokemon/

I posted this on the "Rate Their Chances" thread last night. In an issue of the Japanese "Nintendo Dream" magazine from three months ago, Mimikyu was voted the second most popular Alolan Pokemon. Rowlett is #1, Primarina is #3, Dusk-Lycanroc is #5, and Decidueye didn't make the list. Mimikyu is definitely the most popular out of the debated three (him, Lycanroc, Decidueye). I remember when he was officially revealed back in 2016. I don't remember there being a bigger "general audience" reaction for any other Pokemon since I started playing it as a kid in 2005. There were posts about his backstory all over Facebook and Twitter, and even non-gamers seemed to emphasize with it. I do believe that we are seeing a new Pokemon rep, and it's likely Mimikyu. Lycanroc's status as an "ace" for Ash has been taken by Poipole, and it wasn't popular outside of the Pokemon community in the first place. In my eyes, Decidueye is just the popular starter. Each generation has one, like Blaziken and Infernape. His place in Pokken and Rowlett's popularity are definitely notable, but I don't think it's enough to edge him over.

Mimikyu would make an interesting fighter for sure. Disguise could act as a temporary damage-mitigation. Seeing Dark Pulse, Play Rough, Feint Attack, Shadow Claw, and even Wood Hammer (maybe as a side smash) would be really cool.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/7z2ifz/gen_7_popularity_poll_results_for_both_pokemon/

I posted this on the "Rate Their Chances" thread last night. In an issue of the Japanese "Nintendo Dream" magazine from three months ago, Mimikyu was voted the second most popular Alolan Pokemon. Rowlett is #1, Primarina is #3, Dusk-Lycanroc is #5, and Decidueye didn't make the list. Mimikyu is definitely the most popular out of the debated three (him, Lycanroc, Decidueye). I remember when he was officially revealed back in 2016. I don't remember there being a bigger "general audience" reaction for any other Pokemon since I started playing it as a kid in 2005. There were posts about his backstory all over Facebook and Twitter, and even non-gamers seemed to emphasize with it. I do believe that we are seeing a new Pokemon rep, and it's likely Mimikyu. Lycanroc's status as an "ace" for Ash has been taken by Poipole, and it wasn't popular outside of the Pokemon community in the first place. In my eyes, Decidueye is just the popular starter. Each generation has one, like Blaziken and Infernape. His place in Pokken and Rowlett's popularity are definitely notable, but I don't think it's enough to edge him over.

Mimikyu would make an interesting fighter for sure. Disguise could act as a temporary damage-mitigation. Seeing Dark Pulse, Play Rough, Feint Attack, Shadow Claw, and even Wood Hammer (maybe as a side smash) would be really cool.
And Decidueye is only the popular starter in smash speculation, and mayyyyyyybe in America, but I haven't seen a source on that.

But in Japan Primarina and Inceniroar score higher and are more present in the anime than Decideueye.

Really Decideueye's best chance is Sakurai saw concept art and thought he looked cool, just like Greninja.

UserKev

Smash Champion
What's really interesting is, Mimikyu is seemly missing from Smash Ultimate's Pokeball summons. It doesn't seem to be an Assist Trophy either, both scenarios looking to be hiding something. Its also the only Pokémon in the 4chan leaked list that adds more realism to it.

I see it as a huge plus for even Incineroar and Lycnaroc while it honestly feels indifferent for Decidueye.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm starting to think this is the most logical choice for a gen7 rep.

Top Bottom