• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mimikyu Just Wants Some Friends! Mimikyu for Smash 5!

TipO'TheMorning

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3308-5047-5155
Mimikyu is definitely my most-wanted Pokémon for Smash Bros. I feel like they would add a very unique role in Smash. I used one in my first Sun playthrough, and it practically carried me through a lot of the fights. Overall, I LOVE Mimikyu, and so do a lot of people. Heck, they even got their own theme! Decidueye already has Pokken, so I see no reason for him to be in Smash, too (though you could argue that for a lot of Pokémon, I guess). Overall, Mimikyu would be a great addition to the roster that I am excited to see.

EDIT: you can add me to the support list, btw!

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Just seen a recently uploaded Mimikyu clip from the Pokémon anime. I don't recall reading how its item pick up/throw works so I'm just going to attempt this because I want to see this topic on the front page.

Its item pick up throw is being grabbed and hurled by its shadow hand. I can see this now and its functioning is fun to watch and addictive to use. Imagine a character that almost make you choose said character exclusively for his/her and its item throw. Haha

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
They will probably go with Decidueye as the gen 7 pick since we lack a grass type and hes already been hyped in Pokken...

But if they announce Mimikyu I swear I will squeel like a 6-year old girl for a solid 5 or 6 minutes. I'm all for it.

Just don't be lazy and make it an edgy Pikachu clone Sakurai.....please. At worst make it a semi-clone.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
They will probably go with Decidueye as the gen 7 pick since we lack a grass type and hes already been hyped in Pokken...
Its the other way around. Pokémon that end up in Pokken are Pokémon that majority missed their chances in Smash. With that, Pokken is the next best thing.

If Mimikyu doesn't get in Pokken, that'd be off. Its being saved for something at this point.

Luminario

Smash Lord

But if they announce Mimikyu I swear I will squeel like a 6-year old girl for a solid 5 or 6 minutes. I'm all for it.

Just don't be lazy and make it an edgy Pikachu clone Sakurai.....please. At worst make it a semi-clone.
Pokemon viable for Pokken and pokemon viable for Smash are quite different. Decidueye was unparalleled for a Pokken pick yet has quite the competition for Smash. Mimikyu's still a frontrunner.

I don't think they'd make Mimikyu similar to Pikachu, seeing as how it has such potential and material to be unique and the difference in body type and abilities, so I think we're good.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Its the other way around. Pokémon that end up in Pokken are Pokémon that majority missed their chances in Smash. With that, Pokken is the next best thing.

If Mimikyu doesn't get in Pokken, that'd be off. Its being saved for something at this point.
Um, Pokken released after Smash so there is zero evidence backing that claim. Literally, nothing in your post is anything but speculation.

In actuality almost every smash pokemon is in Pokken. The only ones not are Jigglypuff and Greninja. Jigglypuff would make more sense as a support mon and Greninja....should definately be in Pokken eventually.

Pokemon viable for Pokken and pokemon viable for Smash are quite different. Decidueye was unparalleled for a Pokken pick yet has quite the competition for Smash. Mimikyu's still a frontrunner.

I don't think they'd make Mimikyu similar to Pikachu, seeing as how it has such potential and material to be unique and the difference in body type and abilities, so I think we're good.
I understand that. The games are obviously very different.

I don't think they would either but I also never expected Cloud or Bayonetta in the game. The devs tend to be a little less predictable than some of us here give them credit for.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Um, Pokken released after Smash so there is zero evidence backing that claim. Literally, nothing in your post is anything but speculation.

In actuality almost every smash pokemon is in Pokken. The only ones not are Jigglypuff and Greninja. Jigglypuff would make more sense as a support mon and Greninja....should definately be in Pokken eventually.
It isn't though.

I don't think you fully understand. Smash in general was release a decade before Pokken Tournament. This is why I stated Pokken is for majority of Pokémon that misses their chance in Smash. I promise you that Pokken was created for the urge of having Pokémon like Scizor finally in a fighting game because its killer design scream "This needs to happen."

Its really not hard to catch on to.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
It isn't though.

I don't think you fully understand. Smash in general was release a decade before Pokken Tournament. This is why I stated Pokken is for majority of Pokémon that misses their chance in Smash. I promise you that Pokken was created for the urge of having Pokémon like Scizor finally in a fighting game because its killer design scream "This needs to happen."

Its really not hard to catch on to.
Pokken's roster choices may have nothing to do with Smash at all though. You attempting to draw a correlation doesn't make it fact, it makes it speculation.

Pokken is an entirely seperate game from Smash. The devs very clearly didn't base their picks on the roster based on who can and can't be in smash because over half the original Pokken roster was in Smash before Pokken was even revealed to be a thing.

Unless you are buddies with a developer of the game and they told you what you are claiming is a fact, then it isn't. Its speculation. Saying its obvious doesn't change that.

Anyway this thread isn't about Pokken in the first place. Private message me if you really have to.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Pokken's roster choices may have nothing to do with Smash at all though. You attempting to draw a correlation doesn't make it fact, it makes it speculation.

Pokken is an entirely seperate game from Smash. The devs very clearly didn't base their picks on the roster based on who can and can't be in smash because over half the original Pokken roster was in Smash before Pokken was even revealed to be a thing.

Unless you are buddies with a developer of the game and they told you what you are claiming is a fact, then it isn't. Its speculation. Saying its obvious doesn't change that.

Anyway this thread isn't about Pokken in the first place. Private message me if you really have to.
Don't worry about it.

Back to Mimikyu.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Bringing another thread back from the grave with a moveset~
Notes: Pretty slow walk and run speed. Above average air speed. If Mimikyu picks up a held item then the wooden tail is replaced with it.

Jab: slashes forwards twice with the tail before creating a flash of light in front of it with its eyes.
Ftilt: Horizontal claw slash.
Utilt: Swings the head from forwards to backwards in an overhead arc.
Dtilt: swings both claws across the ground and then back again. 2 hits.
Dash: Stumbling headbutt.

Fsmash: Wood Hammer. Takes the wooden tail and smacks it against the ground in front violently. Powerful but short range.
Usmash: Extends its shadowy claws in a spiral around itself until they reach a point slightly above it head. 2 hits. 1st hit knocks opponents into the 2nd hit.
Dsmash: Dark Pulse. Creates a dark shockwave along the ground. Good knockback.

Nair: Turns on its side (so the top of its head is facing the camera) and extends both claws while turning. Similar hitboxes to Corrins Nair.
Fair: Dazzling Gleam (sorta). Creates a sparkly flash of light in front.
Bair: Spins around with its tail extended to hit behind twice. 2 hits.
Uair: Twirls its head around above twice. 2 hits.
Dair: Claps its claws together beneath it.

Grab: Extends a shadow along the ground, about 1 Mimikyu in range in front. The actual grab hitbox extends off the ground, so the shadow is mostly just for creepy effect.
Pummel: Mimikyu shines its eyes and the opponent and they take damage.
FThrow: Bats them away with the tail. Good kill throw at edges.
Bthrow: Grabs them with a claw and swings them overhead onto the ground behind Mimikyu.
Uthrow: Play Rough. Throws them up and then lunges at them before creating the Play Rough comical dust cloud effect and eventually knocking them away upwards.
Dthrow: Play Rough. Throws them to the ground and jumps on them, also creating the comical dust cloud effect before knocking them away. Good combo throw at low percents.

B: Will-O-Wisp. Mimikyu creates a pale blue wisp that floats forwards slowly. If it connects, it does moderate knockback but barely any damage. For a few seconds after the wisp connects the opponent gains a small amount of % for a short time.

Side B: Thief. Command Grab. Mimikyu lunges forwards a small distance (About 2 Mimikyu's ahead) and attempts to grab the opponent. If the grab connects, Mimikyu hits the opponent forwards as it jumps back, stealing the opponents held item in the process. If Mimikyu is already holding an item or if the opponent doesn't have one, this is just a regular command grab.

Up B: Double Team. Mimikyu flies a certain distance in whichever direction is chosen while creating a copy flying in the opposite direction. Both the copy and Mimikyu do slight damage as their moving along. If used on the ground while aiming in any upwards direction, the copy will stay stationary as Mimikyu flies along, and viceversa if aiming downwards. The copy disappears as soon as the move has ended. If used on the ground into the air, Mimikyu doesn't enter into a helpless state.

Down B: Astonishing Disguise. Counter Move. If hit while this move is active, Mimikyu will stun the opponent with Astonish. After the first time this move is used, Mimikyu's head falls slightly behind it, changing its hurtbox slightly too. In order to counter again, this move must be charged as Mimikyu repairs its head which takes a few seconds. The charge can be stopped and started at any time until complete. Stun time is dependent on the countered hits damage. Whether or not the head is broken or not has no effect on attacks that use the head.

Final Smash: Never Ending Nightmare. Mimikyu creates a void around itself. If anyone is caught in the void then the Never Ending Nightmare animation straight from Sun and Moon is played.

Taunt 1: Mimikyu picks up its tail with one claw and hits it into the palm of the other in a threatening manner as its eyes shine.
Taunt 2: Mimikyu faces the camera and bops its head back and forth a few times.
Taunt 3: Mimikyu's head falls to the side and Mimikyu pushes it back up again. If the neck is broken then it falls back down behind after it pushes the head back up.

Win anim 1: While Mimikyu is absent, the camera looks left, then right, then back forwards as Mimikyu appears suddenly right in front.
Win anim 2: A ghostly aura surrounds Mimikyu as it shines its eyes into the camera.
Win anim 3: The camera focuses on Mimikyu facing away from the camera with its head drooping before casually turning to face the camera. After the freeze frame Mimikyu's head falls as it pushes it back up, only for it to fall again 2 seconds later.
There needs to be more love for my ghostly child on this site.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Bringing another thread back from the grave with a moveset~
Notes: Pretty slow walk and run speed. Above average air speed. If Mimikyu picks up a held item then the wooden tail is replaced with it.

Jab: slashes forwards twice with the tail before creating a flash of light in front of it with its eyes.
Ftilt: Horizontal claw slash.
Utilt: Swings the head from forwards to backwards in an overhead arc.
Dtilt: swings both claws across the ground and then back again. 2 hits.
Dash: Stumbling headbutt.

Fsmash: Wood Hammer. Takes the wooden tail and smacks it against the ground in front violently. Powerful but short range.
Usmash: Extends its shadowy claws in a spiral around itself until they reach a point slightly above it head. 2 hits. 1st hit knocks opponents into the 2nd hit.
Dsmash: Dark Pulse. Creates a dark shockwave along the ground. Good knockback.

Nair: Turns on its side (so the top of its head is facing the camera) and extends both claws while turning. Similar hitboxes to Corrins Nair.
Fair: Dazzling Gleam (sorta). Creates a sparkly flash of light in front.
Bair: Spins around with its tail extended to hit behind twice. 2 hits.
Uair: Twirls its head around above twice. 2 hits.
Dair: Claps its claws together beneath it.

Grab: Extends a shadow along the ground, about 1 Mimikyu in range in front. The actual grab hitbox extends off the ground, so the shadow is mostly just for creepy effect.
Pummel: Mimikyu shines its eyes and the opponent and they take damage.
FThrow: Bats them away with the tail. Good kill throw at edges.
Bthrow: Grabs them with a claw and swings them overhead onto the ground behind Mimikyu.
Uthrow: Play Rough. Throws them up and then lunges at them before creating the Play Rough comical dust cloud effect and eventually knocking them away upwards.
Dthrow: Play Rough. Throws them to the ground and jumps on them, also creating the comical dust cloud effect before knocking them away. Good combo throw at low percents.

B: Will-O-Wisp. Mimikyu creates a pale blue wisp that floats forwards slowly. If it connects, it does moderate knockback but barely any damage. For a few seconds after the wisp connects the opponent gains a small amount of % for a short time.

Side B: Thief. Command Grab. Mimikyu lunges forwards a small distance (About 2 Mimikyu's ahead) and attempts to grab the opponent. If the grab connects, Mimikyu hits the opponent forwards as it jumps back, stealing the opponents held item in the process. If Mimikyu is already holding an item or if the opponent doesn't have one, this is just a regular command grab.

Up B: Double Team. Mimikyu flies a certain distance in whichever direction is chosen while creating a copy flying in the opposite direction. Both the copy and Mimikyu do slight damage as their moving along. If used on the ground while aiming in any upwards direction, the copy will stay stationary as Mimikyu flies along, and viceversa if aiming downwards. The copy disappears as soon as the move has ended. If used on the ground into the air, Mimikyu doesn't enter into a helpless state.

Down B: Astonishing Disguise. Counter Move. If hit while this move is active, Mimikyu will stun the opponent with Astonish. After the first time this move is used, Mimikyu's head falls slightly behind it, changing its hurtbox slightly too. In order to counter again, this move must be charged as Mimikyu repairs its head which takes a few seconds. The charge can be stopped and started at any time until complete. Stun time is dependent on the countered hits damage. Whether or not the head is broken or not has no effect on attacks that use the head.

Final Smash: Never Ending Nightmare. Mimikyu creates a void around itself. If anyone is caught in the void then the Never Ending Nightmare animation straight from Sun and Moon is played.

Taunt 1: Mimikyu picks up its tail with one claw and hits it into the palm of the other in a threatening manner as its eyes shine.
Taunt 2: Mimikyu faces the camera and bops its head back and forth a few times.
Taunt 3: Mimikyu's head falls to the side and Mimikyu pushes it back up again. If the neck is broken then it falls back down behind after it pushes the head back up.

Win anim 1: While Mimikyu is absent, the camera looks left, then right, then back forwards as Mimikyu appears suddenly right in front.
Win anim 2: A ghostly aura surrounds Mimikyu as it shines its eyes into the camera.
Win anim 3: The camera focuses on Mimikyu facing away from the camera with its head drooping before casually turning to face the camera. After the freeze frame Mimikyu's head falls as it pushes it back up, only for it to fall again 2 seconds later.
There needs to be more love for my ghostly child on this site.
Even though I can't wait my self, popularity in Support for Mimikyu will peak once a new Smash is announced. Good move set anyway. At times, I imagine Mimikyu with Pichu's run from Melee. It just fit to me. Not that his slow run doesn't.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so a new z-ring toy seems to reveal mimikyu is to get his own z-move, so perhaps an ideal final smash for our friend

UserKev

Smash Champion
so a new z-ring toy seems to reveal mimikyu is to get his own z-move, so perhaps an ideal final smash for our friend
Mimikyu is the next icon of Pokémon. When you think of Pikachu, his relevance will be right beside that thought.

Mimikyu is the perfect rival for Pikachu.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I absolutely adore and love Mimikyu, and it is far and away the most popular G7 mon, so I'd be cool with it.

I am curious to see how they would work it's disguse in though, and also if it gets anything new in UltraSuMo.

UserKev

Smash Champion
do you mean in general or for smash?
In general.

Have you seen the clips from the Sun and Moon Pokémon anime? Pikachu and Mimikyu's rivalry is extremely entertaining, fascinating and badass.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In general.

Have you seen the clips from the Sun and Moon Pokémon anime? Pikachu and Mimikyu's rivalry is extremely entertaining, fascinating and badass.
thats just the one mimikyu, mimikyu as a rival for pikachu in general doesn't really seem to fit with the whole idea of him wanting to be like pikachu

i dont know why they decided to have jessie's mimikyu hate pikachu instead, its not the way mimikyu is supposed to be

UserKev

Smash Champion
thats just the one mimikyu, mimikyu as a rival for pikachu in general doesn't really seem to fit with the whole idea of him wanting to be like pikachu

i dont know why they decided to have jessie's mimikyu hate pikachu instead, its not the way mimikyu is supposed to be
But, its how it should be. Gamefreak needs to get over this "All Pokémon are friendly cheesiness" Hopefully Jessie's Mimikyu is a hint to this. Mimikyu as this envious deceiving mastermind behind a kawaii look is fresh, adds debt, unpredictability and makes its story deeper.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But, its how it should be. Gamefreak needs to get over this "All Pokémon are friendly cheesiness" Hopefully Jessie's Mimikyu is a hint to this. Mimikyu as this envious deceiving mastermind behind a kawaii look is fresh, adds debt, unpredictability and makes its story deeper.
you have not read a lot of ghost type pokedex entries have you? they're not all cheesily friendly

jessie's mimikyu being the way it is, is fine but its not the way all mimikyus should be

Staarih

Smash Master
Smash does take some influence from the anime when it comes to Pokémon, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Mimikyu would be portrayed as somewhat of a rival of Pikachu. I guess it would make sense anyway in the spirit of Smash.

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
That's more the other way around, it's the ANIME that normally does the all friendly cuteness of the mons.
The games on the other hand have things such as Pokemon that have towns living within walls to survive, Pokemon being turned into weapons for mass genocide, Pokemon that were gonna straight up nuke the Earth, child abuse/indoctrination and possibly an alluded miscarriage.

Mimikyu in the games is an anomaly among Ghost Types going by it's Pokedex, since it craves love rather then mayhem or despair like the rest do(probably due to it being part Fairy as well.)

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's more the other way around, it's the ANIME that normally does the all friendly cuteness of the mons.
The games on the other hand have things such as Pokemon that have towns living within walls to survive, Pokemon being turned into weapons for mass genocide, Pokemon that were gonna straight up nuke the Earth, child abuse/indoctrination and possibly an alluded miscarriage.

Mimikyu in the games is an anomaly among Ghost Types going by it's Pokedex, since it craves love rather then mayhem or despair like the rest do(probably due to it being part Fairy as well.)
Oh wow, since when did Pokemon get so dark? I haven't played a physical game since Diamond, mind you. Am just familiar with the newer Pokemon through Pokemon Showdown, in which I also use Mimikyu. I like the little thing, and am a supporter. Would be a fun character in Smash I imagine.

UserKev

Smash Champion
you have not read a lot of ghost type pokedex entries have you? they're not all cheesily friendly

jessie's mimikyu being the way it is, is fine but its not the way all mimikyus should be
Really, Jessie's Mimikyu should be a metaphor to being a special case. Its completely illogical having multiple Mimikyu's that all want to be like Pikachu. You know what's badass? Mimikyu being considered a urban legend based Pokémon in a already fictional series and how it should be encountered after talking to a specific NPC that tells you its story.

Mimikyu hiding under its disguise isn't going to help its case. I choose antagonistic Mimikyu over innocent Mimikyu.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Really, Jessie's Mimikyu should be a metaphor to being a special case. Its completely illogical having multiple Mimikyu's that all want to be like Pikachu. You know what's badass? Mimikyu being considered a urban legend based Pokémon in a already fictional series and how it should be encountered after talking to a specific NPC that tells you its story.
well i can understand the logic of not all mimikyu being the same but thats the way it is, also youvelost me a bit onbthe second part of that

(this isnt direted you, jjust a general observation ) why would jesies's mimikyu be deressed as pikachu if he hates him? it doesn't make any sense who dresses as something they hate

Oddball

Smash Lord
(this isnt direted you, jjust a general observation ) why would jesies's mimikyu be deressed as pikachu if he hates him? it doesn't make any sense who dresses as something they hate
Envy and jealously.

Luminario

Smash Lord
still doesn't make sense
eh it does kinda. Mimikyu could be seen to use Pikachu's likeness to gain the attention and love it craves, while also resenting Pikachu for it's effortless popularity while Mimikyu requires a constantly maintained disguise. Mimikyus are complicated little creatures.

Whether or not it's shown to be Pikachu's antagonist, I'd prefer it's animations to have emphasis on it being violent and creepy like how the anime Mimikyu acts towards Pikachu.

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Out of all the most liked and recognizable Pokemon, is Mimikyu the best? Most popular pokemon seem to be known for their coolness or cuteness, but Mimikyu transcends that as a character with a genuinely sad and lonely backstory. Are there any other well known Pokemon like that?

Luminario

Smash Lord
Out of all the most liked and recognizable Pokemon, is Mimikyu the best? Most popular pokemon seem to be known for their coolness or cuteness, but Mimikyu transcends that as a character with a genuinely sad and lonely backstory. Are there any other well known Pokemon like that?
Mimikyu has grown to be one of the most easily marketable pokemon recently, thanks to its simple yet lovable design and heartfelt backstory, so while I can't say with certainty it's the most recognisable and liked out of current relevant pokemon, it's certainly up at the top.
Cubone's the only example I can think of of a well known, sad pokemon backstory, seeing as every single one apparently wears its mother's skull as a mask. It doesn't remotely compare to Mimikyu's popularity though.

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Mimikyu has grown to be one of the most easily marketable pokemon recently, thanks to its simple yet lovable design and heartfelt backstory, so while I can't say with certainty it's the most recognisable and liked out of current relevant pokemon, it's certainly up at the top.
Cubone's the only example I can think of of a well known, sad pokemon backstory, seeing as every single one apparently wears its mother's skull as a mask. It doesn't remotely compare to Mimikyu's popularity though.
What are the other top most uniquely compelling Pokemon? I can think of Mewtwo, and...

Luminario

Smash Lord
What are the other top most uniquely compelling Pokemon? I can think of Mewtwo, and...
With a sad backstory? Banette and I guess Phantump are others that come to mind that haven't been mentioned. In the next Smash though the only ones that have a realistic chance out of those mentioned are Mewtwo and Mimikyu.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dude. I said it once and I'll say it again, Mimikyu is easily the next icon of Pokémon.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Eh, what the hell. I'll support.

It's definitely between Mimikyu and Decidueye, I'd say. I'd be happy if either of them got in.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Anyone seen Mimikyu's new Z move? I don't know. I expected more from it but, I won't bash it. Its actually brilliantly fitting for Smash.

Now I can't see any other portrait for his Final Smash.

Top Bottom