• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Mii Swordfighter Custom Moveset discussion

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To clear up misconceptions first

• Mii Fighters are the only ones with customisable movesets
  • Mii Fighters now have set heights and weights
    • Mii Brawler is the Lightest, Gunner the heaviest and Swordfighter is in the middle (Same weight as Cloud)
  • The Default Mii Fighters, all using the default modes, can be unlocked in World of Light, even if you have made your own.
Now that's taken care of, let's open up discussion about the Mii Swordfighter's custom moves and if they should be tournament legal.

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Yes. all of them. Same for Brawler and Gunner.

Best Idea i heard is every switch used in a tourney has standard Miis with each combination of specials, so the person wanting to play Miis can just get them from a list.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
From what I've found, gale strike (neutral 1) is basically useless now, which sucks. The shuriken (neutral 2) is probably his best option for neutral B, because it's a pretty good projectile and the alternative (neutral 3) isn't super useful in most situations.

Side B's include 2 good options for recovery and punishes (1/2) and another projectile, which as far as I can tell is worse than shuriken. It might have some combo potential, there was an infinite with it in 4, but otherwise I think it's between the other two.

None of the up specials are particularly amazing for killing, so I think Skyward Slash Dash (up 2) is the best choice, but Scabbard (up 1) might be better because of horizontal recovery being taken care of by side b. Hero's spin (up 3) isn't really good for anything, except maybe pulling your opponent offscreen for an early kill, but then SD'ing as a result.

Power thrust (down 3) is basically useless when you have pretty much the exact same thing as an option for side b. The other two just depend on whether you'd rather reflect projectiles or have a counter.

The best set I would say is 2222. Honorable mention to 2122, 2212, and 2112.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
From what I've found, gale strike (neutral 1) is basically useless now, which sucks. The shuriken (neutral 2) is probably his best option for neutral B, because it's a pretty good projectile and the alternative (neutral 3) isn't super useful in most situations.

Power thrust (down 3) is basically useless when you have pretty much the exact same thing as an option for side b. The other two just depend on whether you'd rather reflect projectiles or have a counter.
Remember, not as good as before isn't the same thing as useless. Gale Strike's fall arc makes it good at catching out people dropping through he opposite low platform on Battlefield and catching certain recoveries.

And Power Thrust isn't good on the ground but it's a divekick with a disjointed hitbox in midair and has splash damage when it lands.

I use both on my current set.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Remember, not as good as before isn't the same thing as useless. Gale Strike's fall arc makes it good at catching out people dropping through he opposite low platform on Battlefield and catching certain recoveries.

And Power Thrust isn't good on the ground but it's a divekick with a disjointed hitbox in midair and has splash damage when it lands.

I use both on my current set.
My problem with Gale Strike is just that it seems like it never does anything. It has a lot less range than it looks like, and even if it hits it doesn't do much. I'd love to be proven wrong, because it's my favorite move of swordfighter's in concept. Power thrust is very good, I agree, I just think it's a little redundant is all.

Crimson Zach

Smash Rookie
I actuay think Galestrike and Chakram are both really good. Gale Strike leads into Up Air or Hero Spin kos, and Chakram slow hitbox is good for covering ledge options and the fast version can let you contest Belmonts from a distance especially if you are able to get good angles to throw it.

I like Hero Spin a lot. It makes Up B out of shield have kill potential vs unsafe shield hits, and you can do sort of ladder combos if you can catch the airdodge. It also goes a decent distance. Power thrust is meh imo and I always take the reflector into QP to help trivialize matchups vs projectile characters

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
Yo Shakyy here, South Australian sword fighter main

The best combo imo is
neutral b gale strike: hits directly up and comboes into hero spin at 90%+ on all the cast. good for catching horizontal recoveries offstage aswell.
side b chakram: tilt chakram hits 4 times and you as swordfighter can act after the first hit of the multihit into grab, dash attack, running f tilt, f smash etc.
up b hero spin: comboes out of down tilt and gale strike for a kill. kills deceptively early. the back hit drags opponents into the forward hit.
down b power thrust: a quick dash across stage. kills at higher percents. crosses up shields. can be used in the air to shoot down diagonally. strong anti edgeguard when used in the air as when it hits ground it pushes the opponent out the back end.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Yo Shakyy here, South Australian sword fighter main

The best combo imo is
neutral b gale strike: hits directly up and comboes into hero spin at 90%+ on all the cast. good for catching horizontal recoveries offstage aswell.
side b chakram: tilt chakram hits 4 times and you as swordfighter can act after the first hit of the multihit into grab, dash attack, running f tilt, f smash etc.
up b hero spin: comboes out of down tilt and gale strike for a kill. kills deceptively early. the back hit drags opponents into the forward hit.
down b power thrust: a quick dash across stage. kills at higher percents. crosses up shields. can be used in the air to shoot down diagonally. strong anti edgeguard when used in the air as when it hits ground it pushes the opponent out the back end.
So Chakram IS a good combo tool. I should've tried it out before talking about it lmao. I still don't know about gale strike, because I've used it about 70% of the time I played swordfighter, and never once did anything useful happen with it. Maybe I'm just bad though. How early does hero spin kill?

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I actuay think Galestrike and Chakram are both really good. Gale Strike leads into Up Air or Hero Spin kos, and Chakram slow hitbox is good for covering ledge options and the fast version can let you contest Belmonts from a distance especially if you are able to get good angles to throw it.

I like Hero Spin a lot. It makes Up B out of shield have kill potential vs unsafe shield hits, and you can do sort of ladder combos if you can catch the airdodge. It also goes a decent distance. Power thrust is meh imo and I always take the reflector into QP to help trivialize matchups vs projectile characters
I was about to say the same thing about the same 3 specials!

The tornado neutral B has been extremely useful and surprisingly good at hitting above and below different positions, and it seems as it it puts them in a weird, almost tumble state that I don't think the "weak" projectiles normally do. I'm probably describing it a bit bad, but I think those that use it know what I mean. I really like it so far though. I think the shuriken seems like it could be decent though.

The Chakram is awesome. It does decent damage, goes surprisingly far, and move pretty fast when smash tossed. It can also be thrown at angles!

And I agree with the Link Up-B as well. I think of it as a good OoS option and I think it's a solid recovery move, because, like with the Links, it seems to cover a decent amount of distance, both vertical and horizontal, and you can Up-B sooner, if needed, to hit people pretty easily who are trying to edge guard you.

When it comes to Down B though, I haven't tried much, but I personally use the reflect because it's always nice to have something to help you deal with projectiles. I'll have to mess around with the moves more to better have an idea if the counter is more worth it, and if that dash thing is even worth it.

JKrisom

Smash Rookie
I was rocking tornado, chakram, power thrust and slash dash before and I got to elite in one day with Mii Swordfighter (rocking that Isaac costume, ofc). I found it weirldy natural to play as him, and looks like not a lot of pleople know how to play against him. I never played as him before so it was a nice surprise.

I'll change to hero's spin for combos though, I'm keeping everything else the same. Tornado and chakram have helped me A LOT against chroms and roys.

MemyselFishness

Smash Rookie
See what I don't get is why all of your are discounting Aerial Assault. It's got an amazing horizontal recovery and some impressive launching power.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking about the difference between online and tournaments:

• Online you can have any move combo and your foe won't know what's coming until a stock or two in (yours or theirs)
  • In Tournaments, if they allow custom moves (they should but I have my doubts given how ban happy they can be with stages) the miis will probably be labelled with their movesets so you lose the element of the unknown

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I don't see a reason to grab chakram over aerial assault. If we use Hero Spin our horizontal recover is so bad and chakram doesn't provide much utility over what gale strike can do. Ledge trapping is a little more lenient than it was in smash 4, you can cover ledge trapping with a shorthop nair or something.

MemyselFishness

Smash Rookie
I don't see a reason to grab chakram over aerial assault. If we use Hero Spin our horizontal recover is so bad and chakram doesn't provide much utility over what gale strike can do. Ledge trapping is a little more lenient than it was in smash 4, you can cover ledge trapping with a shorthop nair or something.
Aerial assault's hit box covers the ledge. Not the best for ledge trapping but you can hit an opponent on the ledge or trying to recover.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Thinking about the difference between online and tournaments:

• Online you can have any move combo and your foe won't know what's coming until a stock or two in (yours or theirs)
  • In Tournaments, if they allow custom moves (they should but I have my doubts given how ban happy they can be with stages) the miis will probably be labelled with their movesets so you lose the element of the unknown
Every tourney I've watched so far up here in the Canada Ontario area allows Miis with any of their moves. Your opponent does need to know what moves they have first though. Which I have no complaints about myself, I think that's fair.

Anyways, I use 1132 myself.

1 is Gale Strike which as covered before is pretty awesome. I am very pleased with the confirms into hero's spin, it's specific in its range but that's fine by me.

I prefer 1 Aerial Assault myself over 2 Chakram, yes it would be nice to have some more stage control with more projectile play, but imo the added distance you can travel with the former just seems to benefit more, the move itself is pretty powerful too and catches rolls and airdodges.

Up-B 3 we already know and love <3

I haven't played much with down-B 3, I chose 2 just cuz having a reflector makes projectile matches a bit more manageable, and 2 also screws up recoveries when it turns the opponent around, so it has that added benefit too.

Also, I'm pretty happy overall with the Swordfighter in this game, the buffs to aerial attack landing lag reduction are very welcome to him, air dodge mechanics also let his moveset work better. And wow those range buffs too are very welcome. He's a solid character overall.

Last edited:

oinKnio

Smash Rookie
Trying to Falcon Punch successfully in doubles
I prefer either 1112, 1111, 1312, or 1311.

1. Gale Strike is a solid move that allows for range, while not having a windbox anymore (sniffle), it still is a move that doesn't require getting too close to your opponent. I have noticed a trend that if you don't have at least one or two projectiles in Ultimate, you may fall to the low tiers. Meanwhile, having more projectiles helps (unless you are Bowser Jr.).

2. Airborne Assault isn't used to attack much if you are me, just to recover. But when it hits, it is a great move. Also, can we talk distance? You can travel about three quarters the size of Final Destination.

3. Scabbard. Great upwards recovery, and one of the few Mii moves that has good vertical recovery. I annoy my brother with this move when he thinks he'll hit me with K. Rool's 'spot dodge'. Fast, which is good in Ultimate.

4. Reversal Slash. I just love screwing with people's horizontal recovery, don't you? Also, remember what i said about projectiles making a character good? Yeah, being able to reflect projectiles makes you great.

5.Blade Counter is just a run-of-the-mill counter, but this is still a great move when facing the likes of K. Rool online.

6. Chakram can combo, but I'm not too great with it. I play with it for the versatility of Mega Man's... uh, gear thing? I don't know the name of the move.

Sometimes, if I want to goof around, I'll use Shuriken of Light. Whenever you use it, you scream, "SHURIKEN OF LIGHT!" Very spammable move.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Chakram is side special 3, not 2.

I've been playing 1312 and 1112.
Gale Strike (NSpec1) is a potent combo, damage, stage control, and kill confirm tool. This move is a key factor in determining the Swordfighter player's playstyle.
Chakram (SSpec3) is incredible for stage control and zoning. Quite frankly it just allows Swordfighter to control a wide area in front of them pretty effectively, even if it lacks priority versus a lot of attacks. The knockback and damage it deals is also effective for edge guarding a variety of characters. This is not even considering light Chakram, which is useful for interrupting opponents that land a hit in from behind, combos, and again edge guarding.
Stone Scabbard (USpec1) is a pretty incredibly recovery tool, as long as you keep your jump you can pretty much make it back from anywhere. Albeit, at the expense of being a bit predictable in where your going to recover. I think being able to hold down and land on stage to punish foes attempting to land a 2-frame punish is very good too, the move deals some crazy knockback on the landing hitbox similarly to Super Dedede Jump.
Reversal Slash (DSpec2) is just a good option to have for varying match ups. Whether it is to reflecting oncoming projectiles, or to send Gale Strike back to the opponent. It also allows you to stall recovering a little, which can be a big help in certain situations.

As a side note, I think Aerial Assault (SSpec1) has a lot of potential that does get slept on. The fact that it can be acted out of with a jump or aerial is huge, because it can be used again afterwards. I think there is a lot of utility that is untapped for edge guarding with it, especially with the new air dodge mechanics at work. It's just hard to drop Chakram for it because it allows Swordfighter to effectively control the pace of the game in a variety of MUs.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had much time yet with MiiSwordfighter but I played the character a little in Smash4 and am really loving the buffs to the majority of the specials. Currently I'm using Reversal Slash, Shuriken of Light, Airborne Assault, and Skyward Slash Dash. From my gameplay so far and seeing others opinions I'm convinced all of these moves are viable and actually work quite well together despite it not being whats currently popular. Mainly I use them cause they are the funnest specials for me that compliment my playstyle.

I love pressuring from afar with the shurikens and encouraging an approach or gimping some character's recoveries with the move because of how fast you can put them out. Many of the characters I enjoy have a projectile similar to this one.

Airborne Assault can KO at reasonable percent, punish, be used for recovery, and is overall a fun move to use! Pairs with Shuriken of Light nicely.

Skyward Slash Dash is not only a versatile recovery but a highly damaging attack, doing around a whopping 25%! It reminds me of the 'Dancing Blade' move that many FE characters use and I enjoy moves of that nature.

Reversal Slash helps to cover for the rest of the moveset by effectively combating powerful zoner/projectile characters while also hilariously gimping some characters offstage.
Overall I probably like MiiSwordfighter and these specials because they fit what I look for in a character and seeing as the fighter is reminiscent of :ultfalco::ultpit::ultdarkpit: I don't think thats hard to see. Fortunately, MiiSwordfighter still adds a unique take to that style with these similar but somewhat different specials and normals.

Mr Wilson Gaming

Smash Rookie
I haven't had much time yet with MiiSwordfighter but I played the character a little in Smash4 and am really loving the buffs to the majority of the specials. Currently I'm using Reversal Slash, Shuriken of Light, Airborne Assault, and Skyward Slash Dash. From my gameplay so far and seeing others opinions I'm convinced all of these moves are viable and actually work quite well together despite it not being whats currently popular. Mainly I use them cause they are the funnest specials for me that compliment my playstyle.

I love pressuring from afar with the shurikens and encouraging an approach or gimping some character's recoveries with the move because of how fast you can put them out. Many of the characters I enjoy have a projectile similar to this one.

Airborne Assault can KO at reasonable percent, punish, be used for recovery, and is overall a fun move to use! Pairs with Shuriken of Light nicely.

Skyward Slash Dash is not only a versatile recovery but a highly damaging attack, doing around a whopping 25%! It reminds me of the 'Dancing Blade' move that many FE characters use and I enjoy moves of that nature.

Reversal Slash helps to cover for the rest of the moveset by effectively combating powerful zoner/projectile characters while also hilariously gimping some characters offstage.
Overall I probably like MiiSwordfighter and these specials because they fit what I look for in a character and seeing as the fighter is reminiscent of :ultfalco::ultpit::ultdarkpit: I don't think thats hard to see. Fortunately, MiiSwordfighter still adds a unique take to that style with these similar but somewhat different specials and normals.

I started using this combination as well. I'm glad someone else is using it. Because the way I see it is people just need to explore every aspect of a character.

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Since I main Dark Pit, I’m interested in maining another character from the Kid Icarus Franchise. Of course I use Pit from time to time, and he’s too similar to count as a true secondary. Palutena is too brain dead, seems to be a representation of toxicity. Also I don’t like being bandwagon either. And that leaves Viridi. Viridi Mii Swordfighter. With that being said, I’ve been being suffocated by rush down, particularly from Lucina and Ness. I feel like I’m being out-frame data’d in close range combat. There are basically no serious guides for Mii fighters, and I’m looking to improve. While I know the Tornado’s potential, it feels too slow and predictable, even if the opponent will slip up eventually, I may get more reward from Shuriken of Light. I also struggle with consistent
U-Air kill confirms, you have to be precise in the timing, to avoid the end-lag as well as buffering a short hop. As for Chakram, I struggle with “slow” chakram’s confirms, as in even pulling it off in the match. Both of these things I could improve on, but maybe I can try the unconventional route with different specials.

Can someone explain Mii Swordfighter’s game plan to me? What you want to condition, how you ledgetrap/edgegaurd, how you approach and how you escape pressure? Thanks.
Edit: Gale Strike is too good.
Edit 2: Got Viridi Swordfighter to Elite. Swordfighter is so good, very fun to play.

Last edited:

DEMIURGEf66060

Smash Rookie

Side B's include 2 good options for recovery and punishes (1/2) and another projectile, which as far as I can tell is worse than shuriken. It might have some combo potential, there was an infinite with it in 4, but otherwise I think it's between the other two.

None of the up specials are particularly amazing for killing, so I think Skyward Slash Dash (up 2) is the best choice, but Scabbard (up 1) might be better because of horizontal recovery being taken care of by side b. Hero's spin (up 3) isn't really good for anything, except maybe pulling your opponent offscreen for an early kill, but then SD'ing as a result.

The best set I would say is 2222. Honorable mention to 2122, 2212, and 2112.
Why is gale strike useless now? Isn't it just high-risk, high-reward? If not, I may need to change my specials...

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
The reason people use power thrust is Mii Swordfighter struggles to kill. The problem all three Miis share is lack of kill-power. The mobility of the Miis is also sub-par overall, Mii Brawler is a bit better but has a terrible initial dash. For Brawler and Swordfighter they both really need stronger kill throws, and Gunners need to connect more consistently into laser. But enough explaining these weaknesses, now I’ll speak of strengths. What makes Miis any good is their specials, their normals tend to get the job done but are nothing special (lol).

Mii Swordfighter is a zoner ultimately, not a sword character at all really, so if you want success with this character you ultimately have to choose those projectiles specials. I feel Gale Strike is outdated, for online cheese it may get away with a lot but the move is just so slow and god forbid when it gets reflected on you. It is decent for catching jumps/landings though. I’m thinking of the potential Shuriken of Light May have as a good zoning tool different than Chakram, and for the poster who spoke such heresy no way Shuriken of Light outclasses Chakram, in fact I’m more worried about it being vice versa as the only thing Shuriken has over Chakram afaik is the faster startup. The other side specials are just for use if you don’t know how to use Chakram. Hero spin I mainly see it as an Oos kill option but it is not a very good recovery move. Skyward slash dash and stone scabbard are both pretty good recovery moves, Skyward slash dash is slow Oos but deals a ton of damage and can even be used as a tool in the neutral, and scabbard is effectively useless Oos from my experience, just doesn’t connect consistently.

For down special I feel one is going to cry if they lack the reflector against Pikachu, as well as it proving useful against the many zoners in this game. The reflector is also ludicrously powerful being the second strongest in the entire game only behind Ness’s Forward Smash. This is not Mario Cape, it’s more like Mario Cape+ at least when it comes to reflection capabilities. The counter is useless and power thrust is just used because it can get so difficult to ko as Mii Swordfighter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom