• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii Swordfighter costumes - Why we cant use Rex Outfit

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
When using Forward smash with any of the costumes which have a shorter sword model at max range. (Rex was used in my testing) the swords model will not touch the opponent but will still get hit by the swords original hitbox from the default costume. This ends up being deceptive and is a strong argument for the default costume only.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
When using Forward smash with any of the costumes which have a shorter sword model at max range. (Rex was used in my testing) the swords model will not touch the opponent but will still get hit by the swords original hitbox from the default costume. This ends up being deceptive and is a strong argument for the default costume only.
Oh dear. How big of a difference is it? Also, are there any costumes with a LONGER range perhaps? If the range difference is small enough it probably won't matter, but I'm curious.

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
The range is the same for all costumes, it just look shorter on rex and probs longer on a few.
The shorter range ones are the bad ones because you think youre not gonna get hit, then the model of the sword doesnt even touch you and you die

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
The range is the same for all costumes, it just look shorter on rex and probs longer on a few.
The shorter range ones are the bad ones because you think youre not gonna get hit, then the model of the sword doesnt even touch you and you die
So it's really more of a disadvantage for the opponent, it sounds like. People inexperienced with the matchup won't know your actual range.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Id prefer if the they just banned those specific outfits then. Would be a shame if everyone else had to pay for one characters deceptive costume.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Id prefer if the they just banned those specific outfits then. Would be a shame if everyone else had to pay for one characters deceptive costume.
For tournaments, all of the setups would likely have bought the fighter pass anyway, so it wouldn't particularly matter, but for online tourneys and such this kinda thing being banned would make sense.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Isn’t it just your opponent’s responsibility to know Mii Swordfighter’s range? A competitive player needs to know the game inside and out.

For example, they didn’t ban :kirby64:‘s up tilt for having a nonsensically massive hitbox, it was just something players had to know about.
1545469692628.gif

I can understand people being frustrated by it, but, yeah... besides, everyone can get a chance to practice against Miis in Ultimate since they’re allowed online properly, unlike in Smash 4.

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
Isn’t it just your opponent’s responsibility to know Mii Swordfighter’s range? A competitive player needs to know the game inside and out.

For example, they didn’t ban :kirby64:‘s up tilt for having a nonsensically massive hitbox, it was just something players had to know about.

I can understand people being frustrated by it, but, yeah... besides, everyone can get a chance to practice against Miis in Ultimate since they’re allowed online properly, unlike in Smash 4.
Im saying the hitbox vs the animation is different for each sword fighter skin.
Aka the regular skins animation matches the hit box. while the rex skins sword animation is shorter.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Im saying the hitbox vs the animation is different for each sword fighter skin.
Aka the regular skins animation matches the hit box. while the rex skins sword animation is shorter.
I know, I’m just saying that it’s the players’ responsibility to know about this before attending a tournament so that, if they play against a Rex Mii and get fooled by the length of the sword model, it’s their fault for not doing their research beforehand.

That said, it’d be better if Nintendo were to slightly alter the Rex Mii model so that this isn’t an issue anymore, but for now we’ll just have to deal with it.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
My wife made Ross from Friends and we just had to give him the business suit lol.

He's running 1132 in case anyones curious. The sad expression just makes him that much more fun to use.

Attachments

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
I know, I’m just saying that it’s the players’ responsibility to know about this before attending a tournament so that, if they play against a Rex Mii and get fooled by the length of the sword model, it’s their fault for not doing their research beforehand.

That said, it’d be better if Nintendo were to slightly alter the Rex Mii model so that this isn’t an issue anymore, but for now we’ll just have to deal with it.
I totally agree with the notion that it's the responsibility of the opponent to know. Smash Bros games have had weird misleading hitboxes that extend passed their perceived range forever. No one wanted to ban Dedede in Smash 4 because his Back Air had a weird and confusing hitbox.

Shakyy

Addicted to Ice.
NNID
Shakyy
Mr. Grabs Mr. Grabs Its not a character thing though, its costume based.
The rex costumes sword is shorter than the default costumes sword.
Unless you're implying we have to know the length of every costumes sword which is ridiculous.
It would be more like if d3 had a costume where his back air hit even when his hammer didnt but his default costume had the hammer hit.

Top Bottom