• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Mii Gunner Competitive Discussion Thread

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I've been playing Mii Gunner a whole lot, and I think we need a seperate thread for each type of Mii, so here it is.

Here's some stuff I've found involving which specials to choose:

The fox/falco-blaster neutral b (neutral 2) is pretty awful from what I've experienced so far. It's a halfway point between fox and falco, but unfortunately it takes the worst parts of both. Pretty slow, but deals no knockback. It has a slight windbox sorta thing, and it deal decent damage, but it's overall not worth it at all. The only way I could see it being useful is against slow characters you can stay safely away from.

The other two neutral B's are pretty good, but charge shot (neutral 1) is easily the best as far as I can tell. The grenade launcher (neutral 3) is much slower than in 4, but you can't charge it to make mixups at all, so it's overall a pretty weak option. It might be good if you have stealth burst, since it would really be your only option for a zoning tool. Charge shot is the all-around best choice. Charge shot is great at breaking shields (especially paired with missiles) and is generally a good kill option.

As for Side B, Stealth Burst (side 2) is bad for zoning, but similarly to Zelda's side b, it's a pretty good kill option. It can't be reflected back at you, which can be useful against anyone with a reflector. It's decent, but charge shot is usually better for getting kills, and it leaves you pretty defenseless. It also has much less range and control than Zelda's side b, you can't angle it upward or downward. It's kinda useless most of the time.

Flame Pillar (side 1) was something a lot of people were excited for, because of combo potential, but it's not nearly as good as Robin's arc-fire like most of us were hoping. It's still a very good move if you hit it. Very good option for matchups where your opponent has a good ground game and/or bad jump.

Gunner Missile (side 3) seems like the best one, it's strong, fast, and has no huge downsides. It has basically no endlag at all, which is fantastic. It's similar to Samus' missiles, but faster and stronger(?) and great for zoning out your opponent. It can also get some cheeky shield breaks really easily combined with charge shot. The two projectiles end up right next to each other, and the opponent has too much shieldstun to avoid a shieldbreak by dodging. There's no REAL downsides I can find, other than the homing missiles being garbage.

All three Down B's are equally good, they really just depend on the matchup. Reflector (Down 1) for characters like K Rool/Belmonts, or really anyone with a strong projectile or two. Vortex (down 3) is basically the same thing as PSI magnet, and is great against characters with weak projectiles or energy based projectiles, like the mother boys and metroid girls, etc. It has a hitbox, but I'm not sure how useful it is. Bomb Drop (down 2) is a great choice for an extra, closer range zoning tool, but I'd personally only use it against characters without projectiles, or with projectiles that can't really be predicted/reacted to.

As for Up B, I haven't really used much other than Arm Rocket (up 3), which is easily the best for recovering. The other two are worse for recovery, but they have hitboxes. Lunar Launch (Up 1) shoots downward, and Cannon Jump Kick (Up 2) has a hitbox on the way up. Gunner has a lot of good options for killing and zoning outside of these, so I think the best one is arm rocket, simply because it's the best move for recovering. The jump kick might be good if people try to spike you while you recover, but arm rocket moves so fast it's not likely. Also, uncharged up-smash kills earlier than jump kick, making it even less useful as a kill option. It's pretty flashy though.

TL;DR:
Don't bother with Neutral 2, Down-B is matchup dependent, all 3 side specials are good.
If you go with Side 2, pick neutral 3 or down 2 or both. You probably shouldn't use side 2 though.
Up B 3 is best for recovery, Up B 1/2 are worse for recovery, but have niche uses for damage.
The best sets are 133X and 113X.
If you're a TO reading this, having these sets already on your setups is a good idea. 1331, 1332, and 1333 are the most important.

If you have 13XX, there's a really good shield break combo. A smash-side-b (non-homing missile) immediately followed by a fully charged charge shot will break a shield, and the opponent can't parry or escape after getting hit by the missile. If their shield is 100% fresh when hitting them with this, it might not entirely break it, and if their shield is fairly weak, the charge shot might shield poke. Either way, your opponent will be in a very bad spot if they try to shield a missile.

When you get a shield break, charging neutral b and then using down smash is usually the best choice, but depending on the height of the blastzones and their position on the stage, up smash may be better. Side smash is a decent choice, but it has slightly less knockback and will probably be stale if you use it a lot in the neutral.

-Use shorthop (SH) fair when the opponent is close to you, and spam missiles when they're farther away.
-Charge neutral B at every opportunity when the opponent can't challenge it.
-If you suspect the opponent will shield a missile, immediately send out your charged shot for the shield break. Don't worry about holding onto it.
-When they approach, Nair OoS is the fastest/safest option, and FSmash is a great way to punish somewhat laggy moves from a reasonable distance.
-Mii Gunner is, obviously, a zoning character. The farther away your opponent is, the better.
-For shorter characters, SH Fair will likely miss, so rely more on Nair, and consider taking Down B 2 to keep them away.
-None of Gunner's grabs are kill throws, so go for the throw that is best for positioning, or try down throw for some follow-ups.

When to use what Down-Special:
-Reflector (1) is the all-around most general choice. If you don't know what you're about to fight, pick this.
-Otherwise, reflector is great against any character who could possibly out-zone you, or has difficult to deal with projectiles.
-Notable characters for Reflector are the Belmonts, King K. Rool, Duck Hunt, Links, Olimar, Villager, Inkling, and Greninja.
-It has uses against other projectile characters, but most of them are better done with Vortex.

-Vortex (3) is the best choice against anyone with energy-based projectiles, or explosions.
-Basically, if they have a move you can heal from with Vortex, DEFINITELY pick Vortex.
-Using this can make your opponent afraid to ever use any attack you can absorb, crippling most of their set.
-Make sure you know what you can and can't absorb. You can't absorb water shuriken.
-Notable characters for Vortex are Samus, Pit, Snake, Ridley, Robin, Mega Man, Ness, and Lucas.
-Certain characters get absolutely invalidated just by having this special move, particularly Snake and Mega Man who have extremely limited options against you with this.

-Bomb Drop (2) is the best choice for any matchup where the opponent doesn't have a prominent projectile, or any character who relies on ground movement.
-Bomb Drop is also a good choice against small, hard to hit characters.
-As an extra zoning tool, it's important to not overuse it, or use it when they're close enough to punish you.
-Notable characters for Bomb Drop are Little Mac, Incineroar, Sonic, Mii Brawler, Every single swordy in the game sans Cloud, etc.

Certain characters can be difficult to choose what down b to use, here's some info about a few of them.

-For Pokemon trainer, Bomb Drop is best against Squirtle, Reflector is best against Ivysaur, and Vortex is best against Charizard. Generally, Pokemon trainer mains will tend to have one character of the three they use most, so figure out who that is and adjust accordingly. For scouting purposes, Bomb Drop is usually your best bet. Squirtle is easily the most dangerous of the three to Gunner.

-For Diddy Kong, Princess Peach/Daisy, and a few other similar characters, their projectile may be annoying to deal with, but reflecting generally isn't going to be the best choice. Bananas/Turnips are too fast to react to, so having bomb drop will help a lot more.

-For Snake and Mega Man, you might be tempted to pick reflector, but absolutely pick Vortex. Mega Man's neutral b can't be countered with it, but the ability to heal from about half of your opponent's moveset is way too powerful to ignore. Snake's Down B can't be reflected, but it can be absorbed. His forward smash can also be absorbed, which heals for an inordinate amount.

(This post will be edited with more combos/setups/kill confirms/etc once they are found)

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Reserved post for Gunner frame data. PM me if you have it or are able to get it.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Im currently at 1,169.595gp with mii gunner using 1112. i REALLY like flame pillar. Even over missile. It can chain into itself most of the time then lead into dash attack which is great damage and its basically a free charged shot everytime it connects. Also the bomb for down b turns him into a mini snake. That along with flame pillar and charged shot if u play him campy he's pretty hard to approach.

Hope we can get some good discussion going on here for mii gunner. But i know smashboards not what it used to be in terms of sharing knowledge. Discords are pretty much where its at now.

Last edited:

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
Been running standard 1111. I too like charge shot and flame pillar a lot. Reflector (Down1) has a lot of overall utility, especially against the Belmonts :ultsimon::ultrichter: and :ultkrool:. Occasionally you can catch other characters by surprise.

Personally I found Lunar Launcher (Up1) to be the best compromise between recovery and attacking. I found Arm Rocket (up3) difficult to get the trajectory right on.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Is flame pillar that good? I've used it a few times and honestly it never really helped at all, maybe I'll have to try it again. Missiles have just been way too useful for me to give them up any time soon.

Personally I found Lunar Launcher (Up1) to be the best compromise between recovery and attacking. I found Arm Rocket (up3) difficult to get the trajectory right on.
Has the shot of lunar launcher been useful at all? It shoots straight downward, so unless your opponent is also offstage it doesn't seem very helpful. Also, you might already know this, but arm rocket can be redirected mid-flight, which is the main reason I like it.

Hope we can get some good discussion going on here for mii gunner. But i know smashboards not what it used to be in terms of sharing knowledge. Discords are pretty much where its at now.
Is there a Mii Gunner discord? I might make one if not.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
Is flame pillar that good? I've used it a few times and honestly it never really helped at all, maybe I'll have to try it again. Missiles have just been way too useful for me to give them up any time soon.
My thought is that, having both missiles and charge shot is redundant. But I can see why you'd want both. Flame Pillar is great for applying ledge or platform pressure, and on the ground can combo into dash attack or charge shot.
Has the shot of lunar launcher been useful at all? It shoots straight downward, so unless your opponent is also offstage it doesn't seem very helpful. Also, you might already know this, but arm rocket can be redirected mid-flight, which is the main reason I like it.
My problem is that I found it too easy to input a bad direction with arm rocket, leading to a lack of recovery at all. Lunar Launcher's downward shot isn't terribly useful in an Out-of-Shield situation, but is fairly useful for gimping recoveries, if you can get the timing and angle right.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
My thought is that, having both missiles and charge shot is redundant. But I can see why you'd want both. Flame Pillar is great for applying ledge or platform pressure, and on the ground can combo into dash attack or charge shot.

My problem is that I found it too easy to input a bad direction with arm rocket, leading to a lack of recovery at all. Lunar Launcher's downward shot isn't terribly useful in an Out-of-Shield situation, but is fairly useful for gimping recoveries, if you can get the timing and angle right.
Ah yeah I never thought about using flame pillar on ledge. Charge shot and missiles are definitely not redundant, you can keep a wall of explosion in front of you pretty much at all times, and the sheer versatility of them is great. Charge shot isn't great for keep away, it's really only useful for killing/strong punishes. Uncharged, it's terrible. Missiles are good for keeping distance, great for using offstage to distract them from edge-guarding you, etc. They don't really lead to any strong combos aside from charge shot though, since they're going to be far away from you when they hit.

You should definitely try to get used to using arm rocket, you can recover from 8 miles away with it, it's ridiculous. I've survived things I had absolutely no right surviving. I literally got spiked to the blastzone and still made it back.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
Ok, so I'm sold on both Missiles + Charge Shot, and Arm Rocket, as a viable set. Though I think Missiles vs Flame Pillar is match up and stage dependent.

I'm now leaning towards 1331 as the best balanced set, with 1131 as a near second.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Ok, so I'm sold on both Missiles + Charge Shot, and Arm Rocket, as a viable set. Though I think Missiles vs Flame Pillar is match up and stage dependent.

I'm now leaning towards 1331 as the best balanced set, with 1131 as a near second.
Welcome to the dark missile side. Flame pillar is great, but missiles are just WAY too good to give up 90% of the time. Unless some ridiculous combo is found with flame pillar, I'm sticking with missiles.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I've run 1122 since Smash 4. The reason I prefer the Canon Jump Kick (or Canon Uppercut as it was called in Smash 4) over the other 2 options is because it can spike and has a hit-box on top that can also kill. So it's a recovery that also grants 2 extra kill options.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I've run 1122 since Smash 4. The reason I prefer the Canon Jump Kick (or Canon Uppercut as it was called in Smash 4) over the other 2 options is because it can spike and has a hit-box on top that can also kill. So it's a recovery that also grants 2 extra kill options.
Up Smash kills earlier and has better range and is safer, though. Not to mention that arm rocket can recover from about 8 times farther away and is way easier to mixup with. Gunner has better kill options, a better spike, and a better recovery. It's really not worth it at all.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
How do you deal with short characters, namely Squirtle, Pikachu and Pichu?

And for that matter, Olimar is a royal pain in the butt.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
How do you deal with short characters, namely Squirtle, Pikachu and Pichu?

And for that matter, Olimar is a royal pain in the butt.
Any move that hits low to the ground is good. Forward smash is great, charged shot won't miss, missiles can probably miss but are still pretty reliable. Basically, don't try to use short hop fair against small characters. Ftilt and Dtilt are also decent. The only reliable aerial against tiny characters is nair. Down-B 2 can also help quite a bit.

lordsusaki

Smash Rookie
So I wanted to share somethings I found about mii gunner. I really like him/her a lot honestly. Coming from playing robin in smash 4.

Well anyway here goes:
Combos: If you use up throw into short hop uair you get a true combo at low to mid percentages. From zero it will do something like 40% so its a good starter combo. Also, if you use 1111 (which may or may not be the only tourney legal build so I have been hesitant to switch from it), you can do falling flame pillar into short hop fair for a true combo if you landed close enough or if they DI upward (works best at 50% or higher percentages because they will naturally DI upward). Lastly and best of all, but hard to do with a gamecube controller, if you catch them in a flame pillar and short hop and fire a charged shot you get a true combo that does around 50%. Would also kill at high percentages. I have had some success with a mix-up doing flame pillar -> short hop fair -> land into charged shot. This often catches opponents off guard the first time and may result in kills. Again though this works best at higher than 50%. I've tested all of these in the training room and confirmed they are true combo's (except the last one I mentioned which is just a mix-up).

Recovery: Also I do like the 1 (up b) because it doesn't meteor smash but you can often kill people who come to gimp you off stage. As most robin mains would know you can flame pillar someone who comes to get you off stage and it will stick on them forcing them to air dodge. If they opt to guard the edge from on land you can land a flame pillar on the edge before recovering as well to force them to back off.

Anyway hope that helps you guys! Let me know if you find out any cool tricks too!

P.S. whats yalls opinion on fair vs bair? I think bair is the stronger option but the fair is just so fast and safe. Also is nair safe? it seems unsafe but I've not been punished so I can't tell for sure.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
So I wanted to share somethings I found about mii gunner. I really like him/her a lot honestly. Coming from playing robin in smash 4.

Well anyway here goes:
Combos: If you use up throw into short hop uair you get a true combo at low to mid percentages. From zero it will do something like 40% so its a good starter combo. Also, if you use 1111 (which may or may not be the only tourney legal build so I have been hesitant to switch from it), you can do falling flame pillar into short hop fair for a true combo if you landed close enough or if they DI upward (works best at 50% or higher percentages because they will naturally DI upward). Lastly and best of all, but hard to do with a gamecube controller, if you catch them in a flame pillar and short hop and fire a charged shot you get a true combo that does around 50%. Would also kill at high percentages. I have had some success with a mix-up doing flame pillar -> short hop fair -> land into charged shot. This often catches opponents off guard the first time and may result in kills. Again though this works best at higher than 50%. I've tested all of these in the training room and confirmed they are true combo's (except the last one I mentioned which is just a mix-up).

Recovery: Also I do like the 1 (up b) because it doesn't meteor smash but you can often kill people who come to gimp you off stage. As most robin mains would know you can flame pillar someone who comes to get you off stage and it will stick on them forcing them to air dodge. If they opt to guard the edge from on land you can land a flame pillar on the edge before recovering as well to force them to back off.

Anyway hope that helps you guys! Let me know if you find out any cool tricks too!

P.S. whats yalls opinion on fair vs bair? I think bair is the stronger option but the fair is just so fast and safe. Also is nair safe? it seems unsafe but I've not been punished so I can't tell for sure.
Nair isn't particularly safe on shield, but if your opponent can't shield (like if they're in the air) it's 100% safe. It's perfect as an OoS option. Fair and Bair are both completely different tools tbh. Fair is great for spacing, though it's not super easy to hit on small opponents. Bair is a decent kill option, and a little easier to hit with, but obviously has less range.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I'm having a hard time deciding on preferred specials for the Gunner.

I like charge shot for neutral B for obvious reasons.

I have yet to try missiles, but plan to soon. I use the flame pillar otherwise and it's been ok at most, so I'm willing to swap over.

Up-B I've used the 3rd one that launches you stupidly far. They all seem useful though, and I'm trying to reason with myself what matters most for the gunner. Recovery, attacking, or equal. I'm feeling the good recovery still, so it's hard to say still.

Down-B I use the reflector. The magnet seems too niche, and the bombs I have tried but didn't remember much success with. I'd like to try them again though, since others in this thread have made it sound like they are better than I remember.

lordsusaki

Smash Rookie
I'm having a hard time deciding on preferred specials for the Gunner.

I like charge shot for neutral B for obvious reasons.

I have yet to try missiles, but plan to soon. I use the flame pillar otherwise and it's been ok at most, so I'm willing to swap over.

Up-B I've used the 3rd one that launches you stupidly far. They all seem useful though, and I'm trying to reason with myself what matters most for the gunner. Recovery, attacking, or equal. I'm feeling the good recovery still, so it's hard to say still.

Down-B I use the reflector. The magnet seems too niche, and the bombs I have tried but didn't remember much success with. I'd like to try them again though, since others in this thread have made it sound like they are better than I remember.
So far I'm super happy with the flame pillar. Its a great zoning tool against fast enemies. You can also get people to dodge/roll through it into your fsmash. I may try out missles, but I'm still worried about what I'm hearing that there will be a soft ban at tourney's for non-default mii's.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The area under the stage where aerials would not kill, but the offensive up B's would spike kill, is coincidentally very similar to the area under the stage where upB 3 would grant survival, and the other two upB's would not.

I'd rather take the thing that doesn't give me a chance to mess up offstage gimps, in that case.

I've found the down B bombs really useful in neutral but I agree I don't want them against projectile characters. I'm optimistic for a liberal moveset that lets you counterpick whichever down B is relevant.

Mostly based on the previous game I see flame pillar as a tool that is used in neutral for "soft reads" about your opponent's movement. It's pretty narrow. I haven't tried missiles yet, I might be an easy convert.

I have definitely experienced Nair working in neutral and thinking "this doesn't look safe enough for this to work like this". I think it's just because Mii Gunner's movement is so insane, and because projectile play can condition opponents in ways that makes it easier to land it. It looks like it should combo in certain cases, but even when it doesn't it has a tendency to result in the spacing Mii gunner is interested in.

Flapjack87

Smash Rookie
Let me start by saying I am in no means considered super good at this game but I tested around and this is what I saw from mii gunner (as a beginner gunner player)

The reason I am really interested in mii gunner is partially because of the move set and mostly too do with the versatility of the character. Every character has its bad matchups but with mii gunner i just change my moves and can potentially make an even match up leaned towards you.

I also just like my dumb character where I gave it an isabelle body and a cat hat and named him isacat and gave him the super squeeky voice.
I just wanna troll my friends with him but here are some of my minimal play time combos and useful stuff i found.

Grenade launch neutral 3 seem to go farther when you jump however it has to be a full hop becuase if you try to do it out of a short hop it will land you on the ground before the move is launched. I have found it can gimp players if you angle it right and hit them offstage too so its a pretty safe ledge guard. It is also good for covering players that are trying to short hop arial you or people whose spacing is too far out.

You can B reverse absorbing vortex and it also has a hitbox and can potentially combo at low percents in the air since it also slows your fall speed and has little knockback when you do it, you can do it multiple times in one jump too so good for mixups and potentially confusing your opponent for overall better landing if used right.

Flame pillar can combo i think at certian percents it can combo into a forward air since it knocks them back with the fire and the added range and speed of forward air helps combo it but your timing has to be good becuase there is a lot of lag on the move.

Back air has little landing lag and seems to come out pretty quick with pretty good kill power so you can rapid throw them out if you land before the lag hits (I Think idk this part is a bit strange) Either way its good for landing and kills

For up special I just use Arm rocket Up B 3 its the most consistent but there may be matchups where the other one are better if the person your fighting has a particular gimping tool that the Arm rocket is weak against

Its forward tilt doesnt really combo and can be used well for a get off me tool or zoning since it has decent range and is safe on sheild (I believe)

Up tilt at least from my view looks like its best tilt (too me) it comes out pretty fast, ends decently fast, combos into itself at lower percents, kills at high percents, and can lead into a up air or fake into up air with mixups at higher percents

up air is just fantastic, it goes really high up so avoiding most arials that can be thrown, kills, can be fast falled and potentially lead into tilts on the ground and is overall just a solid move

forward air in my opinion isnt very good since it does little damage, has no follow ups, and to be quite frank looks like a little stupid boring lazer so yea

neutral air good for covering all round you

My stupid beginner set that I had with mii gunner was 3133 3(grenade lauch) 1(flame pillar) 3(arm rocket) 3(absorbing vortex)
I would try and bait them to either approach me high or approach me low by spamming flame pillar or grenade launch and then catch them when I saw them go for whatever option and i ever got really scared i would use both kind of as a wall however both are pretty punishable especially grenade launch

So yea this is my impression on mii gunner this is my first post and if you agree or disagree or have more to add let me know

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
Let me start by saying I am in no means considered super good at this game but I tested around and this is what I saw from mii gunner (as a beginner gunner player)

The reason I am really interested in mii gunner is partially because of the move set and mostly too do with the versatility of the character. Every character has its bad matchups but with mii gunner i just change my moves and can potentially make an even match up leaned towards you.

I also just like my dumb character where I gave it an isabelle body and a cat hat and named him isacat and gave him the super squeeky voice.
I just wanna troll my friends with him but here are some of my minimal play time combos and useful stuff i found.

Grenade launch neutral 3 seem to go farther when you jump however it has to be a full hop becuase if you try to do it out of a short hop it will land you on the ground before the move is launched. I have found it can gimp players if you angle it right and hit them offstage too so its a pretty safe ledge guard. It is also good for covering players that are trying to short hop arial you or people whose spacing is too far out.

You can B reverse absorbing vortex and it also has a hitbox and can potentially combo at low percents in the air since it also slows your fall speed and has little knockback when you do it, you can do it multiple times in one jump too so good for mixups and potentially confusing your opponent for overall better landing if used right.

Flame pillar can combo i think at certian percents it can combo into a forward air since it knocks them back with the fire and the added range and speed of forward air helps combo it but your timing has to be good becuase there is a lot of lag on the move.

Back air has little landing lag and seems to come out pretty quick with pretty good kill power so you can rapid throw them out if you land before the lag hits (I Think idk this part is a bit strange) Either way its good for landing and kills

For up special I just use Arm rocket Up B 3 its the most consistent but there may be matchups where the other one are better if the person your fighting has a particular gimping tool that the Arm rocket is weak against

Its forward tilt doesnt really combo and can be used well for a get off me tool or zoning since it has decent range and is safe on sheild (I believe)

Up tilt at least from my view looks like its best tilt (too me) it comes out pretty fast, ends decently fast, combos into itself at lower percents, kills at high percents, and can lead into a up air or fake into up air with mixups at higher percents

up air is just fantastic, it goes really high up so avoiding most arials that can be thrown, kills, can be fast falled and potentially lead into tilts on the ground and is overall just a solid move

forward air in my opinion isnt very good since it does little damage, has no follow ups, and to be quite frank looks like a little stupid boring lazer so yea

neutral air good for covering all round you

My stupid beginner set that I had with mii gunner was 3133 3(grenade lauch) 1(flame pillar) 3(arm rocket) 3(absorbing vortex)
I would try and bait them to either approach me high or approach me low by spamming flame pillar or grenade launch and then catch them when I saw them go for whatever option and i ever got really scared i would use both kind of as a wall however both are pretty punishable especially grenade launch

So yea this is my impression on mii gunner this is my first post and if you agree or disagree or have more to add let me know
You aren't the first person I've seen use Absorbing Vortex. How do you feel about it over the reflector? Personally I think its too situational or matchup dependent, whereas Reflector is universally more useful.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
You aren't the first person I've seen use Absorbing Vortex. How do you feel about it over the reflector? Personally I think its too situational or matchup dependent, whereas Reflector is universally more useful.
One thing to remember about vortex is it absorbs explosions, too. You can't absorb physical projectiles, but it's very useful against snake because you can heal from pretty much all his attacks.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
One thing to remember about vortex is it absorbs explosions, too. You can't absorb physical projectiles, but it's very useful against snake because you can heal from pretty much all his attacks.
Does the heal trigger if you are directly hit by Snake's projectiles? Ie his controllable missile or his up/side smash

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Does the heal trigger if you are directly hit by Snake's projectiles? Ie his controllable missile or his up/side smash
I believe if the physical projectile hits you, you don't heal, but if it explodes next to you, you do. His forward smash will ALWAYS heal you, because it isn't a physical projectile. If the up smash/side special hits you it will hurt, but if it lands next to you it will heal. Down B will always heal iirc.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I would anticipate reflector having the fewest 20-80 matchups. Mii gunner has good normals for leveraging projectile superiority into other advantages but I don't think s/he has the best projectiles in the cast, so s/he doesn't guarantee projectile superiority. I expect a lot of the toughest characters to be the ones that have a better set of projectiles, and none of the ones I'm thinking of are exclusively energy projectiles (that's how the backstory of the characters works in most cases, energy weapons is behold my valiant charge that I fire straight and true, physical is "look at all this crazy illegal stuff I keep in my shed")

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I would anticipate reflector having the fewest 20-80 matchups. Mii gunner has good normals for leveraging projectile superiority into other advantages but I don't think s/he has the best projectiles in the cast, so s/he doesn't guarantee projectile superiority. I expect a lot of the toughest characters to be the ones that have a better set of projectiles, and none of the ones I'm thinking of are exclusively energy projectiles (that's how the backstory of the characters works in most cases, energy weapons is behold my valiant charge that I fire straight and true, physical is "look at all this crazy illegal stuff I keep in my shed")
The only characters I can think of giving Gunner a hard time with projectile superiority are the Belmonts, so I'd agree with you there. For Elite Smash or just Quickplay in general, reflector is definitely the best. In a tournament though, if they allow counterpicking specials, it's definitely worth it to change it up depending on who your opponent mains.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
The only characters I can think of giving Gunner a hard time with projectile superiority are the Belmonts, so I'd agree with you there.
The Belmonts give me some trouble, but if you can catch them off guard with reflector, that helps a lot. Same with :ultkrool:, reflecting his crown disrupts him so much its rediculous. Most K. Rool players simply don't know what to do once they lose their crown against Gunner.

For Elite Smash or just Quickplay in general, reflector is definitely the best. In a tournament though, if they allow counterpicking specials, it's definitely worth it to change it up depending on who your opponent mains.
Agreed, if you are going into a match blind, Reflector has the best overall utility.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I was just fooling around online with different setups, but the bombs seemed useful against Dedede. The reflector is probably useful for Gordos, but since you can reflect them with regular attacks as well, you don't really need it. Whereas whenever Dedede would sit there with Inhale anticipating missiles or a charge shot, you can drop a bomb on him. Either it will explode on him (if you dropped it from above him), or he'll have to react and do something else, or he'll inhale it, but he gets no distance, it spits out and explodes directly in front of him so he gets no benefit from it (and you can possibly followup with a different projectile since his Inhale is no longer active).

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Do you know if it can absorb the damage from Pikmin? There's a really good Olimar player from my area who likes to play campy.
No, it can't. Pikmin are physical projectiles, and none of them explode. You can reflect them if he uses side B though. My advice for fighting Olimar is to kill the Pikmin that particular main likes using, but don't try to kill the others. It'll make him waste more time trying to get the ones he wants. Most Olimar mains tend to go for Purple/Blue pikmin, as they're typically the strongest. White pikmin are the ones they tend to try and throw away, but if they side b a white pikmin onto you it's super dangerous, so I'd suggest killing those ones too.

Basically what I'm saying is: commit mass genocide on all carrot people.

Down tilt and down smash are great for killing all the pikmin types except red, so use those a lot.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Yeah, absorbing vortex can't absorb damage from Pikmin when they hit you, nor when they're clinging to you. Reflector is probably the better move there. They both can damage Pikmin who are sticking to you.

lordsusaki

Smash Rookie
Can someone explain to me how upb 3 is better I can't seem to figure out why. I did testing between upb 3 and upb 1 and 1 actually goes higher up vertically, just not as far horizontally. (Plus as mentioned upb1 has the hitbox). But I never had too much trouble with air movement and using air dodge to travel horizontally before using upb1 to grab the ledge. Am I missing upb3's other advantages?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Can someone explain to me how upb 3 is better I can't seem to figure out why. I did testing between upb 3 and upb 1 and 1 actually goes higher up vertically, just not as far horizontally. (Plus as mentioned upb1 has the hitbox). But I never had too much trouble with air movement and using air dodge to travel horizontally before using upb1 to grab the ledge. Am I missing upb3's other advantages?
Having Up B 3 basically lets you recover from anywhere. I'm pretty sure the vertical distance is higher, but even if it's not, Up B 3 has so much more movement it's insane. You can go all the way to the right blastzone to chase an opponent away, and still recover. Not only that, it's pretty useful ONstage, because it's a lot faster and less laggy when you land. The hitbox is really overrated when you move so fast that they have trouble hitting you out of it.

It's like comparing Bayonetta's recovery to Pikachu's. Sure, Bayonetta can recover from pretty much the bottom blast zone, and has a hitbox to protect her on the way up, but it's nothing compared to the versatility and speed of Pikachu's quick attack basically letting him go wherever the **** he wants, whenever he wants.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
At low percents I find that down throw can lead to a Nair follow-up, but I've yet to find a use for it over up throw after mid percents, due to the backwards angle it sends opponents. Is there a good use case for down throw?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
At low percents I find that down throw can lead to a Nair follow-up, but I've yet to find a use for it over up throw after mid percents, due to the backwards angle it sends opponents. Is there a good use case for down throw?
Nair is the only true follow-up 90% of the time after down throw, upair can hit sometimes but it's a DI read. None of the other throws are really all that great anyway though.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I might be in the minority: Arm Rocket (3) is the only Up-B I don't really use. It's really difficult to choose an Up-B, I think all 3 of them have their uses. 1 and 3 both go pretty far. I really like 1 (the lunar one), because it has by far the greatest vertical range plus its hitbox makes it hard for the opponent to edgeguard you and can lead to sneaky early kills.
Up until now I've mostly used Cannon Jump Kick: Up-B 2 is probably my favourite, it has great kill potential, often my opponents simply don't expect those hitboxes and properties (catch your opponent in the air and you can get kills at 80% or so - it's insane!). Also the spike hitbox is pretty nice. However, Cannon Jump Kick limits your other edgeguarding options, you just can't afford to go far offstage, since your recovery isn't as good as the other two. Stil, I really like Jump Kick and think it's an underrated move.

Last edited:

hobiew2000

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I'm new to Smashboards, in fact I created this account just so I could stay up to date on Mii Gunner information. While I am by no means a good player, I think that I should chip in what I have found (aside from stuff not already said). I've been using 1331 online, while switching Down B when I know who I am playing against, and this seems to be the best set of specials. Regarding Up Specials, I find that Arm Rocket (3) is in general the best, and works really well against characters without stellar recovery, while specials 1 and 2 are more generally useful against characters that go for the edgeguard against you (particularly Jump Kick). If anyone has recommendations for a beginner please fire away, I'm always looking to improve.

P.S. Is there a Discord server for Mii Gunner, because if not I would be more then happy to make one.

Top Bottom