• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Challenge! South Bend, IN, August 9th (Snex approved!)

jv3x3

Smash Champion
D@mn...

Sorry prime (and everyone else, squared in partic too cause we had a money match) but it looks like i aint gonna be able to make this. Prime dude i feel bad, i had stuff all worked out, and then i ****ed up and thought the price priceline offers last for whenever but for the last 3 days i tried its was gonna cost me a ridiculous amount to fly ($1016 on p-line, 500ish on expedia). I tried man, trust me. If you can find another partner take it. Im still trying to pull some strings, but its frickin remote. Dunno what else to say, sorry man i owe you some pizza or something.

I hope you guys hold another one, as i was looking forward to this one.... shoot i even practiced for a bit. Money matches are still on for then, and based on this baring something major i will be there.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Ack... Alright then, I hereby enter myself in the team tourney. I'll take you all on. Details to come... To everyone else, CHECK THE FIRST POST FOR THE FINAL DETAILS. YES, EVERYONE CAN COME AT NOON. I HOPE CAPS DRAWS ATTENTION TO THIS POST. Maybe I can still convince Andy to come...

Oh, and we'll take care of VCR tapes...

KishPrime

BRoomer
snexus 2 results...

Hmmmm...my computer rankings are done. Though they are not thorough enough to be called rankings when a tourney is all the data I have, they are really more of a weighted win value, in other words, the higher you are, the better players you beat.

Recipherous 3.0996
Isai 2.8037
Eduardo 0.8692
Smog 0.658
Eddie 0.5064
Doug 0.4449
Joshu 0.3608
KishPrime 0.3327
KishSquared 0.2618
KishCubed 0.2522
Iggy 0.2338
Bob 0.2129
Andy 0.1885
Snex 0.1745
Fusegen 0.1744
V 0.1744

Some interesting surprises on there. Joshu and Smog got some extra props, while Eddie and I seemed to have easier roads.

x1372

Smash Ace
holy crap! by weighted stats I was in the top 12??? that hardly seems right... oh well I'm not complaining :chuckle: although I'm a bit worried that this will seed me into a first or second round battle with someone near me on that list, none of which I'm particularly eager to play.

also, keefer apparently can't come (he just IMed me and said he lost his form of transportation). this means a) I've got at least one more slot open for my sheik challenge, b) I'm suddenly in need of a partner again, and c) the cwru crew is down to 3 members. I don't know what I can do about #3, but it appears I'm again hunting for a partner. I realize it's late, but anyone playing as yoshi, sheik, link, or jigglypuff (after looking at counter-stage options jiggly suddenly is a nice looking partner) would be an excellent character to pair with my peach. anyone else would be welcome too, and I'm willing to team with a level 9 falco if necessary to compete in the team games (assuming I don't have to pay his entry fee :chuckle: )

well, not much more to say... tomorrow I get up at 6, get picked up at 7, and head out for a long fun day of smash. good luck everyone, hope this goes well.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
x13 you and prime should team up

Edit: Oh and good luck to everyone there.... im gonna get 2 play one of the big 2 from chicago one of these days.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Hmmmm...Bob in top 12, eh? I think I see what happened there. Because of the weird circumstance of you and Andy beating each other, your wins helped Andy's rating and thus helped your rating...though I think it would level off at some point. The same effect is there with Reciph and Isai. I think it is still legit though. Barogrei, I found a partner for you. I think I have a partner now, but I'll find out for sure later tonight. Bob, I still think there'll probably be someone there without a partner, but if it turns out that I still don't have one after tonight I'll team up with you.

Edit: No seeding will be done by these rankings, we actually have enough cubes to do a pretty nice round robin seeding round for 1v1. Yay!

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
OK I've got 1 confirmed and 1 more possible. Also, where is Trinity Church? If I remember right, its about 3-4 miles South of Scottsdale mall.

Wuhubettur

Smash Apprentice
"Maybe I can still convince Andy to come..."

I actually decided to go to some dinky Springfield tournament with Grid tomorrow, which is something like an hour away. There's still no way I'll be able to make it to South Bend after my exam, which ends at 10AM. If I left straight from there, I'd either starve, or faint, or perish, or something terrible.

By the way, Jiggs and I are back together, so we're still on for teams for whatever next tournament.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Yeah... bummer to all who've had to cancel. Jv3x3, I'll take you on someday. Don't chicken out next time!
And Brahma, yes, it's actually about a mile and a half south of Scottsdale Mall, although Scottsdale mall is currently in a state of being demolished... I'm gonna miss that mall... Anywho, if anyone runs into a demolishion site, you're almost there!

Pacn99

Smash Cadet
Man.. you guys confuse me with your speak. Guess you really take this seriously. Hmm.. Hope I don't get stomped too badly. I'll feel awful if I've put all these years into Smash and turn out to not even be a threat to any of ya. ;)

I'll consider this a learning experience. I've been to tourneys before, but this sounds really pro. Can't wait to face up with some of the best.

fe50roy

Smash Cadet
But I suck...

I'm Nick's friend (and I'm pretty sure you Kish's know who Nick D. is) and I live next door to him.

Okay, I don't own a GameCube nor do I ever play it. I've played Smash Melee about 4 times and I suck at it pretty much. So if I go to this tournament with Nick will there be anything for me to do after I lose other than watch people win my entry fee money?

Is this a newbie-friendly tourney (no)?

KishPrime

BRoomer
Hey Nick's friend, it will definately be tough. For the 1v1s, you are guaranteed about 6 matches because of the round-robin stuff. That will start after the team tourney is done, anywhere between 3:30-5. The team tourney will be double elim, but there will be spare gamecubes for people to be playing friendlies while the real matches are going on. So yes, there will be stuff for you to do. Newbie friendly? Well, you won't win. But you will learn lots of tricks and get a ton better. Feel free to just hang out too, you don't have to enter to hang around and play.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Hyrule and Yoshi's Island 64 are banned at these tourneys because it is too easy for someone to camp far away and just shoot projectiles. Basically, this goes against the spirit of the competition, and that's why they are banned.

snex

Smash Master
eddie and i got some hardcore practice in today, none of you stand a chance!

good luck to andy and grid in springfield, last tourney's champs didnt look to be too much of a challenge in their vids.

edit: oh and tell grid to send me my **** av cables heh.

Fusegen

Smash Cadet
Smog and I will be making our way there shortly. Hopefully his van doesn't break down on the way there.

Haven't heard from Pimp in over a week, so not sure if he will be attending or not.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Teams:
1. Hail to the Chimp (Joshu +Iggy)
2. Snex and Eddie
3. Dan and Bob with the easiest bracket ever.......

1v1
1. Eddie, surprise there
2. Cube, this actually is a surprise
3. Squared
4. Joshu ( I think)
5. Me ( I think)

Me and Joshu were in losers in team, but got a skillfull and lucky, mostly skillfull, comeback.

Star Wars 13

Smash Apprentice
Congradualtions Eddie, and everyone who was able to go. I would have been there, but I had to go to a party my friend was having. Since I owed him for when he covered for me, I could not say no.

Fuse, Pimp has been working 50 hours a working for packaging at JC Penny. That is why no one has been able to talk to him for so long. Work is such a...

Pacn99

Smash Cadet
Thanks to everyone who held the tourney. I had a great time. The last tourney I went to was a year ago, and I did much better then because techniques like wave dashing, dash dancing and L Cancelling were minor things. Now they're serious advantages. It takes a tournament like this to really teach you that. I was in complete amazement watching most of the matches that took place there. Guess I got a lot of practicing ahead of me. And I guess Game & Watch will always have to remain as just a fun character to use. ;)

Still, thanks again. Everyone was really friendly there and I've learned a lot. Hopefully for the next tourney, I'll be able to be a bit more of a roadblock than a measely speedbump. :p

x1372

Smash Ace
well, that was fun... I wasn't particularly pleased with my showing, but it was very fun nonetheless.

first, teams. yes, dan and I had quite possibly the easiest bracket EVER. I'm willing to bet that as a team we were probably just BARELY in the top half. however, I'm still relatively happy with my showing, and I'm really hoping that for the next major tourney I go to I can actually have a partner who I've played with for more than an hour before the tourney starts. I think that if I have someone I've practiced with considerably and who knows my playing style, I can do as well as I did this time without the lucky bracet. oh, and in the second battle with snex and eddie, I got eddie 3 times. I was pleased :chuckle: .

secondly, my games against sheik (one against eddie, and the peach sheik challenge with kishcubed). Eddie, I've never seen anyone pull off 5 L cancelled short hopped slaps in a row before. holy ****. the fact that I dragged you to 90% on your last life and screwed up my jumping... you won, but I think I could have had that. Kishcubed... what can I say, you're the better adapter. I win two on FD and dreamland, you manage to come back to defeat me soundly on fourside (for my first loss to a sheik there EVER), pokemon stadium, and what I later found was your FAVORITE LEVEL, jungle japes. Frankly, I can't believe how well you managed to keep me off the edge. oh, and your little klaptrap buddy got me twice, but considering how you were doing in those later rounds, it hardly mattered. I didn't do nearly as well as I was expecting for these, but I didn't really get stomped either. I want a shot at recipherous :chuckle: .

third, we did a 5-game seeding round, in which I played twice as well as I did in the tournament. After winning my first two games by a decent margin, I ran into fusegen, who had simply beaten my *** at the central ohio tourney. not today, and I won two straight (both were rather close) on corneria and his pick of battlefield. All the fancy moves in the world can't give falcon priority over the dress and running attack. looks like I have a "round 3" to deal with for both you and pimp now. kishsquared won 2-1 against me, and proved that I need a **** lot of practice against fox. random gives us FD, which I usually consider massively in favor of peach for this matchup, but he still pulls out the victory (how you managed to shine me 3 times before I could get up I still don't know). I counter-staged with mushroom kingdom 2, and won a rather unconvincing battle for the second game. knowing I was in for an extremely uphill battle, I waited while he picked his counter-stage, and was extremely surprised when he picks great bay. well, any level that forces your opponent to either risk one hit death or attack fox from above to avoid constant laser spamming is going to be a **** good fox level, and me suiciding didn't help any. All I'm thinking is good, since we were so close together in this, we'll be on opposite sides of the main bracket. after two relatively close wins against dan, my former partner, and a stop at arby's, we entered the singles tourney.

I almost did a double take when I saw that bracket. due to a bizarre seeding thing (they had 3 people tied for the last by spot) I had the potential to have my first opponent be lazynova (fortunately he won the by spot so it wasn't). if I won that one, I was up against either snex or V, or more likely kishsquared. yeah, squared. only one who beat me in seeding is my second opponent in the real thing. after a convincing first win (second with the bye) it ends up that squared faces me. first stage: great bay. at this point I'm about ready to just leap off the side four times just to end the pain, but I slugged it out for a legitimate loss. apparently mushroom kingdom 2 wasn't going to do it for me this time, so I was headed into the losers bracket. first opponent: snex. I'm thinking this will be difficult but not impossible. not impossible, I think, until he kills me at 40% with a throw into a apparently unavoidable tipper smash attack, killing me instantly. on kongo jungle I dragged him to his last life, despite him killing me at an average of 60% and me killing him at an average of 120, and counter-stage on a coin flip with fourside (which apparently is just my best stage). massive stalling tactics abound this match, and I eked out a victory on my home turf. now snex, being the single most evil ******* in the world, chooses ICICLE MOUNTAIN, the stage I'd removed from random select every time, for his final matchup. I get first kill, then within a second of the final hit screw up a hover and die below the stage. I get the second kill, and do the exact same stupid thing. I get the third kill, and take a 50% tipper off the side. another tip shot seals my fate, and I'm outta the tourney. snex, I don't know how you hit those tip shots - even eduardo didn't pull them that consistently on me.

after the tourney, I got in a few friendly massacres with eddie's ganondorf. the fact that I was unsafe in the air anywhere near the guy meant that half of my strategies were worthless. after being severely beaten on fourside, big blue, kongo jungle, and poke floats (actually got him down pretty far on blue and floats) I switched to ice climbers and (despite his not fighing the grab much at the end) pulled off the freeze glitch while down two lives. I lost the match, but I'm the only one who can say he did 3 times the damage to eddie as he took in a match against him.

ah well, it was a very fun tourney, despite my rather pathetic 1v1 showing. everyone had a good time, except for the 5 hour car ride home that started at 1:00 eastern time. let's hope for another snex-approved kish tourney come winter vacation.

Supernova

Smash Ace
secondly, lazy and V, you cannot beat me and a good sheik. supernova and I proved that.

wow, i've been recognized...and i wasn't even that good. nerves were shot, being my first tournament and all. that and i've never played teams prior to that.

now why is there no interest in my tournament?

fe50roy

Smash Cadet
I Sucked

Man, I didn't do too good. I sucked on team playing too. (I was with Barogei) The only time I did good was during our dinner break and at the end. Well, congrads Eddie.

KishPrime

BRoomer
First off, you are all probably more interested in getting the brackets posted than anything I have to say. Blame Squared, he took the comp I had them on to play War3. Anyway, my thoughts on the tourney. I'm sorry for neglecting to mention central time in the post. Poor Ohio guys getting there before even we did... I think it went well after our late arrivals made it, everything seemed to go really smoothly for the 1v1s too. Thanks to Jeff for taking care of most of the facilities issues, our mom and dad for staying there the whole day so we could have the supervision we required, and to Joshu, Iggy, Daniel and everyone else who helped with the set-up and tear down. As for the games themselves, I did well in the pools. Turns out my Sheik is semi-decent after all, I took down Snex's Marth and Willis' Mario that beat my poor Jiggly. LazyNova gave me two tough ones. I don't really even want to talk about my performance in the tourney...bleh. Highest seed to go 2 and out by far, lost to Snex after beating him in the pools, lost to Fusegen. Crazy Ohio guys keep beating me, or at least the Fusegen and Smog tandem. Eventually I'll learn how to play against characters whose names begin with Falc-. After that I got in some Ganon practice and Eddie got his Jiggly practice. Didn't take long for him to adjust, after one match that I won, he won about 5 straight before I could get another, then he won a couple more. It was fun though. Teams, I didn't have my Jiggly partner, so I teamed up with a neighbor. Jiggly and Falcon don't make a great team... We lost 2 after pulling off 2 wins. Puff Stuff will return I am sure! TG6, perhaps... Joshu and Iggy actually managed to pull of 2 straight 2-1 victories. I was quite thrilled for them, though I think Squared and Cubed could've done it too. Other than that, Cubed and Squared put up some decent 1v1 fights against Eddie, Cubed moreso than Squared during the tourney, Squared afterwards. But none of us were able to do more than take him to 3 games though. Alas...next time maybe. MC2 is on the horizon...far off, unfortunately. Honestly, holding one during the winter is a very risky proposition, what with Lake-effect snow and all making travel so difficult. So if we were to hold one at that point it would probably not be one we'd try to make into a major tourney. We'll see. Anyway, congrats to all and thanks for coming! Brackets will be posted shortly...

BigGman

Smash Journeyman
it was a fun tournament. i want to thank the kishes for holding it in a really nice place. i was impressed. i would definitely travel back to play there. the team tournament was a little disappointing for me, but iggy and joshu pretty much beat us at the end. even though we lost, it was fun because those battles were close and intense. as for the singles, i didn't want to play cubed again. our first match in the double elimination was pretty much ugly. i commited suicide on the first map, and on the second map, he commited suicide. that match could of definitely went either way. squared surprised me. i wasn't scared of him before the tournament, but now he shines like crazy and can hit it pretty well. i was glad to get jiggly practice with prime. i never really fought a jigglypuff, so i was able to learn some techniques and strategies. i wish i would of played him before TG. i got to play joshu's captain falcon. that surprised me because i never seen him play anyone other than luigi. i only played iggy in friendly battles. i also liked the crew battle, but i do think it will be better with lives than with matches. i know the chicago crew would want to play that versus the indiana crew.

snex

Smash Master
ugh our loss in teams was totally my fault. we beat joshu/iggy in the brackets pretty easy 2-0, but i just totally choked in the finals. i think every death i had was at 40% like 20 seconds after i spawned. im afraid to even watch the tape..

i was totally off my game for a while after that, losing most of my RR matches, and then to V in the first round. fortunately the prospect of getting kicked out gave me the motivation needed to work my way up to 7th in the loser's bracket, beating prime and bob to get there. i played pretty well against cubed, but it wasnt enough (i beat him in friendlies too =P). i also got V back later in friendlies, so its all good.

im starting on the snexus 2 team vids first, and if im still awake later ill get to work on the MC ones.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Brackets...

Here's the links:
www.nd.edu/~tkish/MC1team.htm
www.nd.edu/~tkish/MC1ind.htm
or replace htm with xls if you want excel format

Just so you all know, the placement into pools was done by splitting all people up into the crews they came with, then selecting no more than one from each group for each pool. One crew had 5 people, and they had 2 in two pools. After that, the games to play were written on the sheet, and all pools played the same games. Pool 1, since we had to use the records between pools to compare we had to knock out the extra games you played, sorry for any confusion that was caused there. Just so you all can see, tourney placement was done as follows in this priority:
1. By seed earned (seeds within pools determined by record, then head-to-head, then random)
2. By record
3. By pool location, as in, you don't play against poolmates
4. By crew
5. Random

There you have it...

superpichu

Smash Journeyman
This was a very successful tournament-- good job running it Kishes; you should definitely make this a serial event. What I liked best was the round robin idea because it was a good way to warm up against the competition. It helped me in preventing bad character choices for the real thing. For example I played Joshu with Fox the first time and it didn't work out. In our real match though, Marth proved to be a much better choice, and although I still lost, it gave me a much better chance to win.

It was fun watching Eddie's, KishCubed's, and KishSquared's games in the finals. Not only that but it gave a lot of insight into their character strategies and general tournament strategies. So much work and energy is put into these things that I would feel like a traitor if I mentioned them here without their consent.

Of course I'm disappointed in my performance at this tournament, but from what I learned I'm pretty sure I know what to work on to get better. So next time I will be looking forward to taking revenge on the people I lost to in gameplay/combat; it's a pretty long list. Unfortunately it won't be anytime soon, since school just might get too much in the way.

snex

Smash Master
snexus 2 team vids are up, but they look horrible. whatd you do to my tape joshu???

also a few midwest challenge vids are up, but im stopping now because the A/C is broken and its getting very hot in my room. very bad thing for a computer compressing movies.. more to come tomorrow.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Time for the next insanely long post... posted by your favorite Square! I really enjoyed hosting the tourney. Thanks to all that Prime mentioned, as well as all who came. We had roughly half of what Snexus 2 had in a gym about 10 times the size of that comic book store. All things considered, I'd say it was a success.

Okay, so 2v2's. Darn our luck is all I have to say. At snexus 2, our first match was against Eddie and Eduardo. Here, it was Eddie and Snex. Ah well, same result as S2. Lose 1, Win 1, Lose another. The last match would've been awesome if I hadn't killed myself twice, once thinking I had my jump left after an attack by Eddie and not reacting in time, the other was me trying to spike-shine and missing the platform, plummeting myself into the abyss. I don't think Cubed forgave me for that one.
So loser's bracket came, and go figure, it's probably one of the next toughest teams there: Smog and Fusegen. You guys are great, you represent your state well. Unfortunately, they played Joshu & Iggy first round, and us the second, so maybe they had worse luck than us. So what I would say was the fourth best team out of 14 was out in the first two rounds. Sorry guys.
After that, no problems until Joshu and Iggy (sorry everyone in between, it was all a big blur). That was an awesome fight. It came down to the last match on Onett, Joshu with 90% or so, me with over 100%. Joshu has more patience than me, I charge him, he throws me in the air, and one evil kick-of-death later, it's over for us. Props to them for beating Eddie and Snex twice for the win in the team tourney.

Whew, okay, 1v1's. I really liked the Round Robin method, it gave everyone a chance to play a lot and with many different people. Admittedly, the group with Eddie, Joshu, and Cubed was probably a bit unfair, but that's how random goes sometimes. Trust me, I know... Anywho, Bob and Fusegen are the ones who stand out in my mind in the Round Robins. Fusegen and I had quite a match. I won the first one due to a Porygon claiming his undamaged life at the end. Second match was Fusegen's due to a darkness Togepi claiming one of mine (nice hit with the Falcon punch during that, BTW), and the third ended with a bomb appearing close to me combo-ing Fusegen. Needless the say, it was a perfect end to the combo, and Fusegen suffered for it. Great matches, we need to make sure we fight each other again, hopefully with less randomness.
Bob, your Peach is great, but as I've said many times before, Iggy has prepared me well for them. The fact that she is supposed to be a counter character to Fox means little-to-nothing anymore, and I owe that to him. Well fought matches all around, and you proved in my mind that you are a player worth fearing.
And Brandon, a gamefaqqer attendant, surprised me with his skill. Keep working on it, and you'll be a real threat in no time!

Brackets. I had never fought V before, and was thrilled to finally be able to do so. We had a great Fox on Fox match, which I managed to win. He then switched to Dr. Mario, which didn't do so well, thanks to the practice Cubed has been giving me with him. Admittedly, Cube's Doctor is much worse, but there weren't many surprises with how V handled him compared to Cube. Sorry to send him to the loser's bracket so early, but at least he did well there.
Then Bob again. Followed immediately by Iggy. Yuck, two really good Peach's in a row. Fortunately, I took Bob out again, and Iggy had an off night against me, suiciding multiple times, at least once per match. I hate Peach, especially since my new shining doesn't do anything to her when she hides under her umbrella. Anywho, having beaten Iggy, I was rewarded with a chance to play Eddie.
Honestly, I thought I stood a pretty good chance. Lol, but everyone says that... until they play him. Anyways, that was a fun match, and I had hoped to have a chance to play him right after I took out whatever loser had made it to the end of the Loser's bracket. And it turned out to be The Cube... No comments here. He beat me first match, I suicided twice the second and still almost came back, but I didn't quite make it. So I gave up my chance to fight Eddie again.

Overall, this tournament was awesome. I loved the crew competition at the end. Yeah, next time we'll go by lives instead of losses, but it was still fun despite how long it took. I was just thrilled to be able to beat Eddie at the end when the Cube failed. Eddie, you're amazing, and I can't wait for the day I beat you in a bracket tourney. Until then, farewell all!

KishCubed

Smash Apprentice
Hey all, Cube here! What can I say, that tournament was awesome! I knew the church facility would work out to be a great place to host it! Yeah, like Squared said, our team's luck hasn't been so hot lately. We got kicked out the first round again by Eddie and Snex this time (as opposed to Eddie and Eduardo at Snexus2). After that we dominated most teams in the loser's bracket, the only one I can remember having trouble with was Fusegen/Smog's team, they are very good, but also had horrible luck, being put up against two of the other best teams there first. We won until we had to fight Joshu/Ignatius's team (after they also got kicked out by Eddie/Snex's team), and it was very close until Squared decided to charge Joshu, I don't know what he was thinking, anyway we lost and were permanently booted from the team tourney.

Now onto the 1v1's. Everyone did great. I was booted to the loser's bracket after a great fight with Eddie (almost had you then!) After that I had to work my way up by scraping up wins from Lazynova first (great fight by the way, I won easily the first time and underestimated you the next time which almost cost me our match, I love shiek vs shiek mathces!) then against Snex, who always puts up a good fight, but has never beaten me in a tourney match, after that against Ignatius. I would have lost against him had I not played my Shiek Challenge against Bob's Peach, which is where I learned how to effectively combat a Peach.

BTW for the Shiek Challenge, if you ever do that again, you should pick levels that aren't perfect Peach levels, the ones with super high ceilings and far left/right barriers. It would make for better results of you did even levels, I don't think I ever killed you below %150.

Anyway, I won against Iggy's Peach because of Bob, so thanks Bob ^^. After Ignatius I had to fight Joshu, ugh... I hate fighting Joshu, we are practically 50/50 even. It can go either way every match we play. Again I managed to beat him (barely) and moved onto the next match, Squared. Me and him go back and forth all the time at home, it's anyones match when we fight. Thankfully, he killed himself a couple of times and gave me a fairly easy victory so I caould move onto the finals against Eddie again. I personally think I played better against Eddie in the first match we fought when he first booted me into the loser's bracket. But I managed to win 1 match against him, but he won the other 2 and won the set which made him the champion. Our matches are always close but I just can't manage to beat him in a full set, oh well, hopefully now I can be considered a threat, I'll get you next time Eddie!

All in all the tourney was great, afterwards we played the crew competition, which I personnally played horribly in. I need tension and competition to play well, and it was mostly friendly afterwards. Eddie beat me squarely 3 times in a row, but Squared was able to finish him off and the Indiana crew managed to pull off a victory, nothing official or anything, just building of Indiana pride. Thanks to everyone who came and everyone who made this tournament possible!

x1372

Smash Ace
well, I have a little more to add...

squared, your fox is just insane. your timing is so perfect, and you managed to avoid me far better than anyone I'd ever seen. it's gonna take a lot of practicing with V before I feel even the slightest bit confident against foxes again... ironically, in my first melee tourney ever, V destroyed my (then) sheik with fox. now I have to re-train for him again... feh. peach as a fox counter my ***. fox can juggle and run away better than peach, and all peach has is the extremely predictable and avoidable downsmash. I think most people have that relationship backwards... especially considering how many stages help fox more than peach.

cubed... I wasn't directly trying to give myself a huge advantage for the sheik challenge. dream land is a peach advantage stage, but most people consider all the others neutral if not sheik advantages (although they probably haven't seen my fourside strat, heh). the only thing I was trying to do with that setup was avoid stages that blatantly suck for peach, like depths, yoshi island, rainbow, icicle, flatzone... and many others. if you've got suggestions for stages that make it more fair, I'm listening. oh and um... you're welcome? squared said the only reason he beat me was because of practice against iggy, you say the reverse...

oh, and before you gloat about crushing me in the crew thing iggy, know two things. at the point we played that match, I had slept for one hour in the past 32. also, that was my 7th and 8th peach mirror matches, all previous ones having been against V. that's another thing I'm gonna have to practice for, but since lazynova seems to have taken a bit of an interest in playing as peach for a fun character, the outcome might be a bit different next time we battle. I realize those aren't particularly good excuses, but expect a decent fight next time.

one final thing - I hope the match of mine against eddie's sheik got taped. I really do. despite me losing a close one, that was probably one of the best matches I've had in a long time.

LazyNova

Smash Journeyman
whew... well, I just got internet access back. So now I finally post.

I thought it was a very good tournament. My one complaint comes from how people were put into the losers brackets. I'm pretty sure that you guys did it randomly, but I think there is supposed to be a system for how you do it. In teams V and I faced a gamefaq team, then Joshu+Iggy (they won the whole thing remember), then faced a different gamefaq team, then the first gamefaq team we already beat again, then Joshu+Iggy again. So our team can say that we only lost to the team that won, so we could have technically been 2nd best. Of course in all honesty we definitely weren't. For one thing, V and I really need to get our act together on picking charachters and stages. You'd think that being able to play a number of charachters pretty well would be a good thing, but we always seem to choose the wrong ones, and bad maps.

In the pool I did decently well, beat the only person who I consider to be good that I managed to beat (snex), and had some close ones with prime and some not so close ones with Iggy. Prime, you deserved the wins, but I really wish my jump had worked there at the end of the first match, cause I thought I should have taken at least one game from you. Iggy... I'm still working on facing peach. I used to be able to handle Bob's peach, but now I really struggle with that, so... I'll have put lots of work into that by the next time I face you. In the double elimination part, I did manage to win a short face off to get a bye (which I was in a 3 way tie for), so then I faced Cubed first, and lost pretty badly. Then I beat a run away fox 2-1(sorry, don't remember your name), which was REALLY REALLY annoying, but you gotta learn, you can only laser when you have a lead, or at least the same number of lives. Then I faced Cubed again, and after a HORIBLE first game, decided to get my act together. I won a close fight on whatever it was I counterstaged with, then lost a close fight on whatever he counterstaged with. So basicly, I lost twice to the guy who got second. Again, I don't think I would have done much better otherwise, I'd say I was probably only in the 50th to maybe 70th percentile there (70 would be really pushing it), but it was rather frustrating to have only lost to 1 team and 1 opponent in the double elimination portions, without going far and facing them in the losers bracket semis or finals or something. Additionally, I'd like to complain about eddie... stop being so freaking good and sending people I've already lost to to face me again.

By the time the crew tourney rolled around, I was really tired. I was actually tired all day, much more so than I should have been from 4 hours of sleep, and I'd like to apologise to V and my opponents for not playing to my potential. Anyways, for some reason I was selected to go first for the IL OH combined team, and I lost to Iggy again. There were certainly lives where I took the advantage, and then I reverted to sucking again. I think honestly if I hadn't been so tired I could have taken a game off of him, especially if I hadn't gone first and gotten a random and a counterpick instead of 2 counterpicks.

So in conclusion my excuses are:
1. I had to play people who were better than me.
2. I'm not that good.
3. I'm even worse when I'm tired, which I was for some stupid reason.
4. Hmm... can't complain about maps, cause I think I won all the crap maps I got on random select.

I'm definitely interested in attending another tourney, but I'm all smash tourneyed out for now (sorry supernova), so nothing before october. Well... that was a comparitively long post.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Yeah, Lazy, the loser's brackets were done randomly. So I'm sorry you got stuck against the same people, but I think I did prevent the repeats through the first three rounds of loser's for 1v1, two rounds for 2v2, which was the goal. After that, some people are going to have to face each other twice eventually. Eddie had to fight Cubed twice too... Also, the 1v1 tourney thing that Bob complained about, due to ties in all the seeding categories you wouldn't have had all three of you in the same section, but since the primary method for placing people was seeding, I suppose we could've allowed one of you to take a lower seed to move away. The region thing was dropped down to the round-robins because I knew we wouldn't be able to do much with it in the tourney since we were doing seeding.

*POPPA*

Smash Apprentice
man guys thanx for having us it was a fun tourny and i would definitly go there again, i learned alot from you guys and will never underestimate my oponent again, i didnt think some 1 could be so skilled with peach,marth,or jiggly puff i was suprised but next time il be back and better than ever.

p.s. WHENS THE NEXT TOURNY IL BRING EVEN MORE PPL!!??

-New smash boards member -Brandon-a.k.a.poppa

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Originally posted by x1372
well, I have a little more to add...

squared, your fox is just insane. your timing is so perfect, and you managed to avoid me far better than anyone I'd ever seen. it's gonna take a lot of practicing with V before I feel even the slightest bit confident against foxes again... ironically, in my first melee tourney ever, V destroyed my (then) sheik with fox. now I have to re-train for him again... feh. peach as a fox counter my ***. fox can juggle and run away better than peach, and all peach has is the extremely predictable and avoidable downsmash. I think most people have that relationship backwards... especially considering how many stages help fox more than peach.

cubed... I wasn't directly trying to give myself a huge advantage for the sheik challenge. dream land is a peach advantage stage, but most people consider all the others neutral if not sheik advantages (although they probably haven't seen my fourside strat, heh). the only thing I was trying to do with that setup was avoid stages that blatantly suck for peach, like depths, yoshi island, rainbow, icicle, flatzone... and many others. if you've got suggestions for stages that make it more fair, I'm listening. oh and um... you're welcome? squared said the only reason he beat me was because of practice against iggy, you say the reverse...

oh, and before you gloat about crushing me in the crew thing iggy, know two things. at the point we played that match, I had slept for one hour in the past 32. also, that was my 7th and 8th peach mirror matches, all previous ones having been against V. that's another thing I'm gonna have to practice for, but since lazynova seems to have taken a bit of an interest in playing as peach for a fun character, the outcome might be a bit different next time we battle. I realize those aren't particularly good excuses, but expect a decent fight next time.

one final thing - I hope the match of mine against eddie's sheik got taped. I really do. despite me losing a close one, that was probably one of the best matches I've had in a long time.
1. I don't like to gloat, I think I'm too mediocre of a player to do it.
2. It will be noted that you being tired is a factor of why I beat you.
3. 7th and 8th matches? I think you may have me beaten in that reguard, I think I have less than that, but I'm not sure. At any rate, Joshu's Peach normally manages to beat mine I think. I just don't know how to fight against a Peach.

Though, lack of sleep is a fairly good reason to give.

Bumble Bee Tuna

Dolphin-Safe
BRoomer
Yes, guys, for the next one there IS a set way to do loser's brackets so the only possible way to get double jeapordy is if you hit the team again in the final match of the tourney. See: TG5 bracket, Matt had it all planned out as a template, I think. Though I don't think the required technique is anything different from just placing the losers on the opposite side of the bracket from their original place.

-B

Top Bottom