• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: The Reboot (Signup Thread, 13/13)

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
"Welcome strangers! Glad you are all able to stop by for your nice retreat to the town of Degamesia! However, there have been a few... changes recently, to say the least. Let's just say the mafia have been acting up again. I, Poyzin, will be your tour guide today."

"Wait a minute Poyzin, I thought I was supposed to be the guide!"

*sigh*. "Are we really going to do this in front of the guests Utopian? They want to learn more about what's been going on in the town. I'm sure that your petty bickering isn't exactly beneficial to their tour."

"Well it isn't that hard to tell what's going on. After all, your 'strangers' as you put it are already wrapped in the crossfire of this conflict!"

"Oh yeah? Well in that case, I'll let you do the talking for the introduction. However, I'm holding you accountable for the quality check."

This story stars the Neapolitan, who is the "protagonist" in this town, trying to uphold justice and keep violence to a minimum. They recently were relocated to the town of Degamesia to help with the growing tensions that needed to be kept at bay. And everything was just fine... until... the uprising! *dun dun dun*

Town Neapolitan: Investigates a player each night; will be told whether that player is a Vanilla Townie or not.

There has been a large conflict in Degamesia. Two opposing groups have emerged amidst the shadows; the mafia and the masons. The first group we will look at is the mafia, a violent faction that has devoted themselves to killing off members of the town of Degamesia. The town has historically had mafia outbreaks that ended with several civilian casualties. But this time, the mafia has a few tricks up their sleeves that give them a distinct edge from a normal game.

Mafia Odd-Night Roleblocker: Selects a player on odd nights to roleblock; that player can not perform any night actions for that phase.

Mafia Even-Night Rolecop: Investigates a player on even nights; will be told the name of the role, but not the alignment.

Mafia Goon: Can perform the factional mafia kill, along with the previous two roles.

The second group, the masons, are the self-proclaimed "Heroes of the People". They have garnered a massive support from the town, and have committed to put a stop to the mafia for the final time. They are designed to counter the mafia as a town-aligned faction of their own. However, they too remain as a "secret society" of sorts, where nobody know who the members are. They communicate with each other, just as the mafia do, and the two opposing factions have an incredible rivalry. The mafia may be stronger than the masons, but the masons have a whole town to back them up. It would be in the town's best interest to use their abilities wisely.

Town Tracker Mason: Checks a player each night; can learn who that player targeted, but not what action they used.

Town Voyeur Mason: Checks a player each night; can learn what actions were performed on the player, but not who performed them.

The Neapolitan has been doing research on these two secret organizations for quite some time. They are currently on a long train ride to Degamesia, so there is plenty of time to prepare for their case. They do not know who the mafia or the masons are, but their ability can help figure out whether a player is a part of either faction. However, the Neapolitan is still fully aware that this is a brand new town they are arriving in. They will not know if there is anybody else who could be lurking around in the alleyways. There may be other fishy suspects in the town.

Town Visitor: Can visit a player each night. The target will not know they have been visited. The visit has no effect on the target.

Chocolate Townie: Functionally the same as a Vanilla Townie, but is not a "Vanilla Townie". Does not have any night actions.

Mafia Traitor: A player who is separate from the main mafia contingent, and has no factional night kill or other night actions.
(Main contingent does not know the Traitor's identity, but the Traitor knows who the rest of the mafia are.)

The Neapolitan is very aware that not everybody who looks suspicious really is. Each of these roles may or may not actually show up in the town. There should be 7 vanilla townies, but there's a 50% chance that one of the townies is a Visitor, a 50% chance that one of the townies is a Chocolate Townie, and there's a 50% chance that one of the townies is a Mafia Traitor, where each role's chances are all independent of each other. There may be 0-1 Chocolate Townies, or 0-1 Mafia Traitors.

It is also known that the number of ninja shots that the Mafia have. If a visitor is present, the Mafia get 2 extra ninja shots. If a Chocolate Townie is present, then the Mafia get 1 extra ninja shot. If a Traitor is present, the Mafia get 1 less ninja shot. The game will never contain a Mafia Traitor without a Chocolate Townie or a Visitor.

(x-Ninja): Can choose to make the kill invisible to the tracker and voyeur a variable number of times.

Will the town be able to eradicate the mafia once and for all? Or will the mafia finally get their revenge and destroy the town? That's all up to how the game is played. And YOU are a part of it!

"Hey, not bad Utopian. I think they have a good idea about what sort of business has been happening in town."

"Well Poyzin, they had better know. The Neapolitan is among your tour group, as well as all of the roles. THEY are the town you were previously describing!"

"Huh, so I've been introducing everybody into a town that they've been living in for quite some time now? Neat. In that case, we can probably cut straight to the rules and the setup then!"

"Finally! I'll let you cover these bits."

Town:
[1] Tracker Mason
[1] Voyeur Mason
[1] Neapolitan

[0-1] Visitor
[0-1] Chocolate

[4-7] Vanilla

Mafia:
[1] Odd-Night Roleblocker
[1] Even-Night Rolecop
[1] Goon

(0-3 shot Ninja as a faction)

[0-1] Traitor

Rules:
1. No personal attacks against any of the players or the mods.
2. No editing posts. Double posting is fine if you need to make a correction.
3. No quoting any of the mod or factional communication of any kind into the game thread. Paraphrase if need be.
4. No screenshots of any kind.
5. Once you are dead, you can no longer post in the game thread. Use common sense.
6. No talking about the game with players who are dead or those who are not playing.
7. No talking about the game anywhere outside of this game thread.
8. Factional communication (mafiatalk, masontalk) is restricted to the night phase only, so faction talking is not allowed during the day. (This rule may be redacted before the game starts.)
9. No hidden codes, messages, or other text that cannot easily be read. This is includes posting in other languages. This rule is much less strict for the mafioso and masons, but there is still a rule of thumb. If there is a hidden message that not even your faction partners can read, then it's not acceptable.
10. Enjoy yourself while playing the game. It's a g-a-m-e.
11. Don't break the rules. Or else I'm gonna have to break you do something that may involve you being warned or modkilled, depending on how it affects the gamestate.

Other Information:
1. The first Day phase will last 7 full days, and night phases will last 2 full days. Every subsequent Day phase will last 5 full days.
2. Only bolded votes will be recorded. (Ex. Vote: Ryker, Unvote)
3. You can vote for a No Lynch. (Ex. Vote: No Lynch)
4. The hammer to end the day phase is met when over 50% of the town votes to lynch one player. In other words, a majority.
4.5.1 If the hammer is not met before the end of the day phase, then the player with the most votes is lynched.
4.5.2 If there is a tie for the most votes when the day phase ends, then a No Lynch occurs.
5. Prods WILL be issued for not posting in 24 hours. Players with 3 prods will be replaced.

Game Moderators:
1. UtopianPoyzin

Player List:
1. 3DSNinja
2. Jackrito
3. Trisscar
4. Fontisian
5. #HBC | FrozeηFlame
6. Chaco
7. Somitomi
8. Darkpit54
9. Raxxel
10. BoomFrog
11. Xivii
12. LaserGuy
13. NonSpecificGuy

Replacements:
14. Z25
15. Osieorb16

Spectators:
0: Spak
0:

Tracker Mason
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are the Tracker Mason.
Abilities:
  • Private communication: You may talk with your partner [Player Name], the Voyeur Mason, at any time here [Conversation link].
  • Track: Each night, you may check a player to learn who that player targeted, but not what action they used.
Win condition:
  • You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

Voyeur Mason
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are the Voyeur Mason.
Abilities:
  • Private communication: You may talk with your partner [Player Name], the Tracker Mason, at any time here [Conversation link].
  • Voyeur: Each night, you may check a player to learn what actions were performed on your target, but not by whom.
Win condition:
  • You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

Neapolitan
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are the Neapolitan.
Abilities:
  • Investigate: Each night, you may investigate a player; you will be told whether or not that player is a vanilla townie.
Win condition:

Vanilla Townie
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are a Vanilla Townie.
Abilities:
  • Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.
Win condition:

-----------------

Town Visitor
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are the Town Visitor.
Abilities:
  • Visit: Each night, you may visit a player. This action can be detected by the Tracker or Voyeur, but has no effect on the target.
Win condition:

Chocolate Townie
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are the Chocolate Townie.
Abilities:
Win condition:

Mafia Odd-Night Roleblocker
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are the Odd-Night Roleblocker, and are a member of the mafia faction along with your partners [Player Name] and [Player Name].
Abilities:
  • Factional communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partners here [Conversation link].
  • Factional kill: Each night phase, you or one of your partners may perform a nightkill.
  • Roleblock: If you are not committing the nightkill, you may instead select a player to roleblock on odd nights; that player will not be able to perform their night action.
  • Ninja: You and your partners may choose to make your night action be undetectable by the Tracker and Voyeur. This ability may only be used [xxxxxx] times for your faction.
Win condition: You win when at least half of the living players are mafia, or when nothing can prevent this from happening.

Mafia Even-Night Rolecop
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are the Even-Night Rolecop, and are a member of the mafia faction along with your partners [Player Name] and [Player Name].
Abilities:
  • Factional communication: During the night phase you may talk with your partners here [Conversation link].
  • Factional kill: Each night phase, you or one of your partners may perform a nightkill.
  • Investigate: If you are not committing the nightkill, you may instead select a player to investigate on even nights; you will be informed of that player's full role and alignment.
  • Ninja: You and your partners may choose to make your night action be undetectable by the Tracker and Voyeur. This ability may only be used [xxxxxx] times for your faction.
Win condition: You win when at least half of the living players are mafia, or when nothing can prevent this from happening.

Mafia Goon
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are the Goon, and are a member of the mafia faction along with your partners [Player Name] and [Player Name].
Abilities:

-----------------

Mafia Traitor
  • Welcome, [Player Name]. You are a Mafia Traitor. You are aware that the rest of the mafia faction is made up of [Player Name], [Player Name] and [Player Name], but they are unaware of your existence.
Abilities:

None yet?? What?? How??

Special thanks to Lore Lore , Tom Tom , and Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa for checking and improving the game balance last year!

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Stealing the first post in case I need it.

Yes, I am still saying that I'm on my mafia hiatus from here. But hosting mafia is a different ballgame, and this game has been on hold since last summer. Plus, I'll get a first-hand look at some high quality gameplay as it happens, so it's a win-win.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
The game isn't going to start for at least a week but I'll just get my pinging out of the way. (If you're wondering why you're on the list it's because you played in the last couple months or you're marshy.)

osieorb18 osieorb18 Wiisp Wiisp Xivii Xivii Trisscar Trisscar Deadbananas Deadbananas Spak Spak Malakandra Malakandra ranmaru ranmaru Cuthalion Cuthalion Pythag Pythag Z25 Z25 fontisian fontisian Handorin Handorin LogicoftheVI LogicoftheVI BoomFrog BoomFrog Jackrito Jackrito Sabrar Sabrar bessie bessie LaserGuy LaserGuy Pokechu Pokechu Maven89 Maven89 Raxxel Raxxel giraffelasergun giraffelasergun #HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | marshy #HBC | marshy funnier6 funnier6 ExLight ExLight

Join... or not. I-it's not like I want you to play or anything...

Trisscar

Smash Ace
....sure? I'm not certain if I'll still be in the process of moving house when this procs, people may need to poke me on other internet based social things. But if that's all cool then /in.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
....sure? I'm not certain if I'll still be in the process of moving house when this procs, people may need to poke me on other internet based social things. But if that's all cool then /in.
No worries! If it means anything, this game should ideally start when Sumting Sumting ends, or potentially a bit before that. My logic for putting these signups up early was because there hasn't been any new signups since early April, leaving us in a month and a half drought with no new games popping up. Plus, because summer is just around the corner, I figured that people will be more likely to have extra time on their hands. The EARLIEST possible day that this game will start will be June 5th, but I would also rather not start the game if some people are still playing osie's, so hopefully you'll be finished moving by then.

Last edited:

Trisscar

Smash Ace
Fair, thankee for the consideration as well. I hope to be settled and ready by the time this procs.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The game isn't going to start for at least a week but I'll just get my pinging out of the way. (If you're wondering why you're on the list it's because you played in the last couple months or you're marshy.)

osieorb18 osieorb18 Wiisp Wiisp Xivii Xivii Trisscar Trisscar Deadbananas Deadbananas Spak Spak Malakandra Malakandra ranmaru ranmaru Cuthalion Cuthalion Pythag Pythag Z25 Z25 fontisian fontisian Handorin Handorin LogicoftheVI LogicoftheVI BoomFrog BoomFrog Jackrito Jackrito Sabrar Sabrar bessie bessie LaserGuy LaserGuy Pokechu Pokechu Maven89 Maven89 Raxxel Raxxel giraffelasergun giraffelasergun #HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | marshy #HBC | marshy funnier6 funnier6 ExLight ExLight

Join... or not. I-it's not like I want you to play or anything...
I’m not really sure I want to play these currently but I guess put me down as a sub

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
We'll see... I'm really busy right now, but if nothing else put me in as a spectator!

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Actually 11 is good too. I ask because those slots are going to be town and #2 is going to be a PR specifically.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
That's what I had thought. They use environmental data and I am connected to that data. If you go on and select 0 - 10, the first number you will roll is 4.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
More Proof: The Signups is currently 5/13

5/13 = 0.3846154
0 + 3 + 8 + 4 + 6 + 1 + 5 + 4 = 31
3 + 1 = 4

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Here is the addition - reducing method I am using if that's not making sense.

Also, there's no need to prevent environmental data from impacting the roll. The environmental data is what causes the randomness. It is as random as you can get. It's just that my consciousness is open to the ethereal field and thus open to perceiving the flow chaos and its products.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin so does the mafia team get to know whether there is a traitor? I'm guessing not.

I'm also assuming that the numbers in the setup are not decided at random?
The mafia team is uninformed of the presence of a traitor.

The numbers will be random, but the setup is currently suffering from some balance problems where the game is scumsided, which will be fixed before the game starts and the players will be notified of any changes made.

(Note: The presence of some roles will also influence the power of the opposing team. I.e. if a visitor is randomized into the game, the mafia team will get an extra ninja shot. However, this interaction is subject to change.)

Last edited:

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
blergh I dislike masons in small setups but I should also play mafia at some point...

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
blergh I dislike masons in small setups but I should also play mafia at some point...
I could run a different setup. I’m working with a third party at the moment because the setup as is is currently scum sided, and the Watcher Mason / Follower Mason could lead to an unintentionally boring play style where the Watcher just sits on the other mason to see what happens to them. So I believe if this setup were to be run, we would need to make the masons be Tracker and Voyeur, reduce the scum’s power, and make sure that the semi-open aspects are fair to both sides. With that being said, if people would rather run a different setup, I can start from scratch and host a new open setup instead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom