• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midna ! Out of the Shadows ! (New DLC means a new chance !)

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Hello people ! I think that, like me, you probably all saw the Direct, and the hopes that it bring with it !
While we don't know who in ARMS is picked yet, I have high expectation on Springman due to him being the Mascot for a reason, and Smash beneficiating from that reason, as well as them never putting in a non-Mascot/Protag before to represent a new series
If it is indeed him, the limitations for ATs and Spirits are completly gone for the next 5 fighters ! And that mean that we could completly get a Midna DLC this time around ! HYPE !

In the meantime, I made a little something after the annoncement hehe
It look like a certain Twilight Princess is trying to sneak around with the rest of the ARMS fighters ! It really is "Midna's Desesperate Hour" uh ?

View attachment 267191

Hope that you guys will enjoy what came out of it hehe !
Today is a good day to be a Midna fan !
Ngl , even if Kosuke Yabuki , the producer of ARMS , said that he didn't wanted guests characters in ARMS... It would still be super fun to see Midna sneak into the roster. She would be kind of a mini Helix in concept , only having one arms , but having super good dodges and movement overall.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Ngl , even if Kosuke Yabuki , the producer of ARMS , said that he didn't wanted guests characters in ARMS... It would still be super fun to see Midna sneak into the roster. She would be kind of a mini Helix in concept , only having one arms , but having super good dodges and movement overall.
TBH, she would DEFINITLY be a fun guest, one of the few Nintendo characters that would suit this universe, and well, if they managed to make her dodge being merging with the shadow, and make it balanced, she would def be super fun to play as ! And I would absolutly buy a copy of ARMS just to play Midna haha

By the way, something I made a couple of months ago, that I was asked to re-make recently by the Assist Alliance, it's a shortened version of my "Case For Midna" that feature in the OP, I figured that it would make it easier to read, and more accesible if it was a shorter 3 pages Document instead of the 20 pages one that I have in the OP haha, if anyone wanna read and give me their opinion on it, you're all welcome to do so ! Hope that you guys will enjoy it hehe
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e83vww-iCSL6mvIU0F3jESoWMHtZPjizEF48kQGW_fU/edit?usp=sharing

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Heh. Just imagine the Arms devs randomly drop a trio of guest stars without any warning.

- Midna
- Lanky Kong
- Inkling

It'd be the most pleasant of surprises, no?

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Heh. Just imagine the Arms devs randomly drop a trio of guest stars without any warning.

- Midna
- Lanky Kong
- Inkling

It'd be the most pleasant of surprises, no?
That would Definitly be a welcome surprise ! I would love to play any of them, even if I have trouble seing Inkling working since they don't really stretch you know, but dang, if they make it work haha
Would also be funny to have like ... Mario with the Spring Powerup from Mario Galaxy to do his ARMS haha

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
So ... I was a bit curious, apart from the one I included in the OP that I made myself, any of you have any cool Midna moveset you would like to share ?

And alternatively, what did you think of either of the two movesets I included hehe, I'm a bit curious about what you all think of it

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I made a Fighter Pack with the help of Violet. (she decided most of the spirits , all the music tracks/classic route ect , I just putted everything on a template)

Midna_Fighter_Packl_Loliko.jpg

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I posted this in another thread.

But what do you think?

Honestly I think Zelda only has one problem.

There's no clear front runner.

There are lots of popular Zelda characters but there are so many choices that demand is fractured. Compare things to K. Rool and Ridley where they were far and away the fan favorite character to add next. Who do you add next? Skull Kid? Midna? Ghirahim? Impa? None of that is helped by those who believe Zelda shouldn't have anyone outside the main trio (which I think is lame).

I think if a Zelda newcomer is gonna see any success, the fandom's gonna have to rally behind one character and push them hardcore (while still supporting their favorites).

If I had to choose, I'd say Midna and Skull Kid would be our best bets for that, but who knows...

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I posted this in another thread.

But what do you think?
I will say that a lot of people are discouraged when it come to just any new LoZ rep.

Ever since we got a lot of characters back in Melee (:ultzelda::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf:) we... Never got much afterwards. Not only does the 3 Links are pretty much semi-clones/clones (Like , a ton of Yink's animations are copy and pasted from adult Link) , but Ganondorf is still to this day... Both a joke competitively , and not an accurate representation of the character.

And starting with Brawl , they were clear opportunities to add characters that were ignored. Brawl has a big Twilight Princess redesign for the LoZ cast , and Midna would have been a perfect addition and... She just got a trophy. Granted , we got Tink , but he was a later addition due to the game's release beeing delayed , and Yink was removed.
Then we have Sm4sh , and Skyward Sword and Wind Waker HD were the latest zelda game and... We got a Midna , Skull Kid and Ghirahim AT. On top of that , the only significant change to the LoZ cast was spliting up Zelda and Sheik due to technical difficulties. So well , the intended design of the character got killed.
Even with Sm4sh DLC , we had a ALBW , there was even a fake Ravio trailer wich was pretty well done.
And with Ultimate , we got an overhaul of the LoZ cast with... Weird changes. Zelda's moveset is great , but her personnality isn't Zelda anymore , they slapped Ganondorf's sword from a 2000 E3 Space demo with Ike and Cloud smash attacks and called it a day , and... They wanted to give Adult Link a Botw treatment but didn't do much in the end. I'll give them credit for giving Ganondorf his OOT design. I like his TP design , but his OOT design is great.
Also , making the Moon and Skull Kid separate ATs is still a baffling move to this day.
And finally... Obvious missed opportunity with Both for Midna (TP HD and Hyrule Warriors) and any Botw rep.

So I will agree that now , the only way to get a LoZ rep is through fan demand. Sakurai doesn't seem to be very interested in simply adding another LoZ rep , and don't want to change the current movesets of the characters already in game , by fear of allienating the players.

---

And yes... Support for a new LoZ rep is extremely split up. I will say that I notice 4 characters that always come back :
-Midna
-Skull Kid
-Tingle
-Impa

Skull Kid got his popularity from his last man standing effect from Ultimate pre release ; People were in the right to find it weird that the Moon became an AT , and that the Skull Kid AT wasn't there ; On top of that , both Dark Samus and Isabelle got promoted from their previous AT status. So I don't want to say "it's bandwagonning" because you have a lot of genuine SK fans , but it did indeed help his popularity.

Midna has always been a reccuring request for a new LoZ rep , ever since the teaser for TP was revealed. Sadly , she tend to get disconfirmed rather quickly with each game ; The Brawl Trophy , the Sm4sh Trophy , and revealing her Ultimate AT very early. (If she wasn't revealed early , she would have easily been the second Skull Kid of Ultimate speculation) Her popularity is slowing coming back tho.

Tingle is... I have the bad feeling that people don't understand something about Tingle : He's a joke character. While he has his own games , they came out 10 years ago , and only one got a worldwide release. My issue is that beside sellings maps and stealing ruppees , he doesn't do much in mainstream Zelda. While I understand that he's a recurring character , and that he has a big memey energy , it would feel weird to wait 18 years... For basically a joke character.

Impa has some real things going for her ; She's honestly the only recurring character I see having genuine stuff going for her. While her appearances are... Diverses , to say the least , she has a lot of moveset potential , especially since Shiek doesn't use much sheikah stuff. On top of that she seem like an important character to LoZ , and she really affect the story , even if she's more secondary.

So yeah , while I think 3 out of 4 of them have strong reasons to be added , they all have their own fanbase , and while there is some overlapping (some people simply want several of these characters) a lot of people think we could only get ONE new LoZ rep , so people can get pretty defensive with their pick.

Hence why I think it became impossible for everyone to rally behind one character , because you have several characters with strong stuff going for them. People can't "choose one".
However , I'll agree that fan demand , at this rate , is the only thing that will get us a new character. (And honestly , LoZ could use 2 new characters...)

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
Well with the last presentation of min min we can definitely say that AT are possible if the director or Sakurai want, right? Sakurai was thinking in spring man and in the end was min min cuz the director want her, right? So Minda still has a chance, also skull kid and the others. Do you still think midna can make it, either twili form or with wolf link or even alone? I think wolf link could be an option as there is an amiibo already and with the moveset could be really original as min min and the duo characters are something in smash (banjo and Kazooie, ice climbers, etc) so I really hope maybe this time we can have her it is my most wanted character, my second is geno and then Dixie kong

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well with the last presentation of min min we can definitely say that AT are possible if the director or Sakurai want, right? Sakurai was thinking in spring man and in the end was min min cuz the director want her, right? So Minda still has a chance, also skull kid and the others. Do you still think midna can make it, either twili form or with wolf link or even alone? I think wolf link could be an option as there is an amiibo already and with the moveset could be really original as min min and the duo characters are something in smash (banjo and Kazooie, ice climbers, etc) so I really hope maybe this time we can have her it is my most wanted character, my second is geno and then Dixie kong
I personally think just about any video game character's on the table. While Spring Man was passed over, we're still not sure how Sakurai will treat Assists compared to Spirits, but at the same time he never mentioned anything about the Assist Trophy being a detriment to Spring Man and based his decision for adding Min Min on developer (and likely fan) preference.

We'll see how they'll handle the DLC in this Fighter's Pass going forward, before we can make any presumptions. The only real chance we could have for getting Midna is if Sakurai and Nintendo decide they want a Zelda character and happen to pick Midna, but I'm not sure how likely that could be, but we shall see! I like to keep my expectations in check because who the heck knows who we're getting going forward.

Welcome to Smashboards btw!

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Midna is still one of my most wanted. However, since she is still on the unlikely side (unfortunately); I'm hoping for Officer Howard from Astral Chain.

If Midna does get in; I'll be very hyped! I'm hoping for either Imp Midna (alone) or Twili Midna.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
I personally think just about any video game character's on the table. While Spring Man was passed over, we're still not sure how Sakurai will treat Assists compared to Spirits, but at the same time he never mentioned anything about the Assist Trophy being a detriment to Spring Man and based his decision for adding Min Min on developer (and likely fan) preference.

We'll see how they'll handle the DLC in this Fighter's Pass going forward, before we can make any presumptions. The only real chance we could have for getting Midna is if Sakurai and Nintendo decide they want a Zelda character and happen to pick Midna, but I'm not sure how likely that could be, but we shall see! I like to keep my expectations in check because who the heck knows who we're getting going forward.

Welcome to Smashboards btw!
Those are pretty much my thoughts too, I have to admit that it doesn't look that good for her this time around, but ... In anyways, I'll keep on supporting her, and on gathering the support for this character that we all hold dear here !

It's definitly not impossible for this time either, but if it's not for this game ... Then it will be for the next one ! But in anyways, I'm keeping up the passion and support going, because I strongly believe that if we stay passionate and vocal, then one day our voices will be heard hehe

I'm very happy some more activity happened here By the way, it's always nice to meet new fellow Midna fans, and to talk with the one I already know hehe, thank you all for coming here !

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
It's hard to gather support for a single Zelda character. Nobody has clear which character should be added because not even the fans know.

BTW I finally bought the Wolf Link and Midna amiibo, it was hard to get at decent-high price but oh boy it's precious.

I think I'm going to replay Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors to imagine a moveset for the Twilight Queen. It's been a while (And I have never played a non-mirrored TP so it's going to be weird at first).

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to gather support for a single Zelda character. Nobody has clear which character should be added because not even the fans know.
TBH, that's to be expected with a series that have a rotating cast, and get none of their popular picks in 20 years, the demands are BOUND to stack up, it would seem less spread out I believe if we got something like Pokemon, where Zelda had a new spot every new game, so like .. Midna in Brawl, Ghirahim or Impa in 4, and Skull Kid in Ult, but as it is, it's totally expected to see that
Though I'll have to say, the Zelda fanbase is also really wholesome to each other, I rarely saw Skull Kid Vs Midna Vs Impa escelating as anything else than a friendly rivalry, where other fanbase that DO get new characters can sometimes be at each other throats when talking about new characters

BTW I finally bought the Wolf Link and Midna amiibo, it was hard to get at decent-high price but oh boy it's precious.

I think I'm going to replay Twilight Princess and Hyrule Warriors to imagine a moveset for the Twilight Queen. It's been a while (And I have never played a non-mirrored TP so it's going to be weird at first).
Nice ! I wish you good luck in your new playthrough hehe, I bought my Midna & Wolf Link amiibo really near the release of the game, so it was still pretty cheap, and one of the best Amiibo I ever bought, even utility wise it's pretty awesome

Oh, since you're planning on making a moveset for her .. What do you think of the existing one I made and posted on the main page ? I'm curious to see your take on the Twilight Princess though hehe, a lot of things can be done with such an awesome character !

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
TBH, that's to be expected with a series that have a rotating cast, and get none of their popular picks in 20 years, the demands are BOUND to stack up, it would seem less spread out I believe if we got something like Pokemon, where Zelda had a new spot every new game, so like .. Midna in Brawl, Ghirahim or Impa in 4, and Skull Kid in Ult, but as it is, it's totally expected to see that
Though I'll have to say, the Zelda fanbase is also really wholesome to each other, I rarely saw Skull Kid Vs Midna Vs Impa escelating as anything else than a friendly rivalry, where other fanbase that DO get new characters can sometimes be at each other throats when talking about new characters
Yes, if a single new Zelda character was announced I think most of the Zelda fans would be happy. Finally getting a new character after 18 years, wow, that even makes the treatment DK and Kirby get sound good, yikes.

Oh, since you're planning on making a moveset for her .. What do you think of the existing one I made and posted on the main page ? I'm curious to see your take on the Twilight Princess though hehe, a lot of things can be done with such an awesome character !
It's good (Except I think the jab is a bit too exagerated? I mean, you are just pressing A, the opponent doesn't deserve a giant punch to the face), but I think I'll focus on Midna + Wolf Link, since the solo Midna's moveset made me realize how similar she would be to :ultbayonetta:, Dixie Kong and Shantae.
We are scarce of quadruped fighers (:ultduckhunt:, :ultivysaur:). And that way, Midna would be even more unique. Also Wolf Link is the perfect opportunity to bring back :4link: to action, yay, another Link, but it's a dog Link so no one is allowed to complain.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Yes, if a single new Zelda character was announced I think most of the Zelda fans would be happy. Finally getting a new character after 18 years, wow, that even makes the treatment DK and Kirby get sound good, yikes.

It's good (Except I think the jab is a bit too exagerated? I mean, you are just pressing A, the opponent doesn't deserve a giant punch to the face), but I think I'll focus on Midna + Wolf Link, since the solo Midna's moveset made me realize how similar she would be to :ultbayonetta:, Dixie Kong and Shantae.
We are scarce of quadruped fighers (:ultduckhunt:, :ultivysaur:). And that way, Midna would be even more unique. Also Wolf Link is the perfect opportunity to bring back :4link: to action, yay, another Link, but it's a dog Link so no one is allowed to complain.
I mean, it's kinda similar to Ganondorf TBH haha, he also have a pretty powerful jab for an attack where you only press A

And what do you mean about Solo Midna being like Bayo, Dixie and Shantae ? I'm a bit confused ? I mean, they obviously all use their hair, but for Bayo it's more aesthetic than anything (It doesn't litteraly come out of her hair), for Shantae it's not really her main thing, only her basic attack in her games as far as I got, and Dixie Kong doesn't mainly use her hair either from what I got + it doesn't have magic proprities like Midna ...

So I'm gonna have to disagree there haha, they have a similar weapon on surface level, but all use it so differently .. That if Solo Midna is similar to Bayo, then Wolf Link have to be similar to Duck Hunt, I don't think either are fair comparaison TBH
Hope I don't sound mean or anything with that, as I'm frankly not aiming to say it like that haha, just wanted to share my opinion on what you said, reguardless of my moveset actually, just any Solo Midna moveset wouldn't be similar to those 3 IMO

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
And what do you mean about Solo Midna being like Bayo, Dixie and Shantae ? I'm a bit confused ? I mean, they obviously all use their hair, but for Bayo it's more aesthetic than anything (It doesn't litteraly come out of her hair), for Shantae it's not really her main thing, only her basic attack in her games as far as I got, and Dixie Kong doesn't mainly use her hair either from what I got + it doesn't have magic proprities like Midna ...
I don't think I thought that comparison well. There are so many things you can do with Midna's hair punching / grabbing and her magic. But I think she can stand out even more if she was accompanied by Wolf Link since that opens up more moves they used together in TP. I didn't mean that she would be copying those ladies. It's about making her stand out even more.

BTW with Bayo it was the hair punching and with Shantae and Dixie I have seen hair-grabbing ideas for their movesets so I think that sparked the comparison in my mind. But it's just superficial. None of them actually have a third hand anyway.

Last edited:

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513

I just received my wolf link\Minda amiibo last Friday, it is beautiful. Midna it's my most wanted, really if midna and Geno make It I could die really happy.
I don't see midna similar to bayo or Dixie Kong. I mean their move set could be similiar like palutena and Zelda, but are way different to play

Last edited:

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I thought that comparison well. There are so many things you can do with Midna's hair punching / grabbing and her magic. But I think she can stand out even more if she was accompanied by Wolf Link since that opens up more moves they used together in TP. I didn't mean that she would be copying those ladies. It's about making her stand out even more.

BTW with Bayo it was the hair punching and with Shantae and Dixie I have seen hair-grabbing ideas for their movesets so I think that sparked the comparison in my mind. But it's just superficial. None of them actually have a third hand anyway.
I'll be honest here and talk about my personal opinion, even if I respect anyone who like them that way, and I would still be happy with any forms of Midna, Midna & Wolf Link is probably my least favorite way to represent her .. For the simple fact that Wolf Link is just a normal wolf, all the cool things he can do come from Midna, so .. In my opinion, Wolf Link would just weight Midna's potential down (quite litteraly too since Wolf Link would probably make her an heavy weight)
As I often say ... I prefer Shadow Punches and Shadow Magic over Barks and bites haha

But once again, I respect anyone who want them like that, and I'll look forward to your take on them ! Thank you also for coming back on your comparaison

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm pretty open to Midna getting into the game in almost any capacity.

Solo Midna in her imp form would be cool and give her a good opportunity to show off all her abilities. I could almost see her working as a smaller version of Mewtwo in a way, she'd be a decently fast light character that plays keep away most of the time.

Wolf Link & Midna I find to be interesting because Wolf Link's physical abilities would be both a contrast and a compliment to Midna's magical abilities and a good balance between the two would make the character super fun to play I believe. Midna can easily use her abilities in conjunction with Wolf Link's more basic attacks.

Twili Midna who would most likely play as an echo fighter for Zelda. Instead of having a lot of the light magic that Zelda uses she has her Twili magic. Instead of summoning a Phantom like Zelda she could summon either a Shadow Wolf or one of those Twili Hands from the game that could grab the opponent and hold them in place for a punish. Side B could be a reference to the Sol's from Twilight Princess as well. While I do believe it's possible they could come up with a unique moveset for Midna in this form, an echo fighter would be the most likely way of adding her into the game.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty open to Midna getting into the game in almost any capacity.

Solo Midna in her imp form would be cool and give her a good opportunity to show off all her abilities. I could almost see her working as a smaller version of Mewtwo in a way, she'd be a decently fast light character that plays keep away most of the time.

Wolf Link & Midna I find to be interesting because Wolf Link's physical abilities would be both a contrast and a compliment to Midna's magical abilities and a good balance between the two would make the character super fun to play I believe. Midna can easily use her abilities in conjunction with Wolf Link's more basic attacks.

Twili Midna who would most likely play as an echo fighter for Zelda. Instead of having a lot of the light magic that Zelda uses she has her Twili magic. Instead of summoning a Phantom like Zelda she could summon either a Shadow Wolf or one of those Twili Hands from the game that could grab the opponent and hold them in place for a punish. Side B could be a reference to the Sol's from Twilight Princess as well. While I do believe it's possible they could come up with a unique moveset for Midna in this form, an echo fighter would be the most likely way of adding her into the game.
Me who came up with a Twili Midna moveset that is also featured in the OP : Y-Yeah, I really don't see what they could do .. Not a single idea on that one

More seriously, Twili Midna have a lot to work with, but the thing is, if they wanted to make her an Echo, it would be SO much work to make her work with that, that it wouldn't even be worth, like, the goal of echoes is doing low effort clones on top of the fighters, but here with Midna, no matter the form, you would basically need as much work on her echo, as you would need on an unique character
She have very different height and model from Zelda (Zelda's legs are mostly in the dress while Midna's are bare), you have to repurpose and change every single one of her specials, all the aesthetics of her normal attacks while taking into account the very different model (For exemple you can't just keep the Up Smash as it is, because different height would mean it wouldn't touch as well as Zelda's), make a new model for her down special too, etc ..
I just don't think it would work in any shape or forms, and it would be especially bad and ironic to just copy paste the moveset without changing the aesthetics, because the Twilight Princess using the spells from the Golden Goddesses that banished her people in what is basically hell, would be quite litteraly spitting on the character, even more than what Dark Samus did

So .. Yeah, I don't really see it working, apart if they pull a Ganondorf, and then again, Ganondorf was because the model fit over Captain Falcon, which isn't the case here

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Updated the Home page with a redraw of one of the drawing that I just made, pretty proud of how it came out, especially since it was really outdated, so I thought to replace here too hehe
Hope you guys will like it too !

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While Midna isn't my most wanted Zelda rep, I think she would be cool. Twilight Princess is one of my all time favorite Zelda games and I love Midna's character. Put me on the support list please.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
While Midna isn't my most wanted Zelda rep, I think she would be cool. Twilight Princess is one of my all time favorite Zelda games and I love Midna's character. Put me on the support list please.
Sure thing ! It's alright to not have her as your Most Wanted, as long as you would support her inclusion in Smash, and want a place to talk about it, her moveset potential, or her character at large, we'll be happy to have you hehe

Personally TP IS my all time favorite out of all the Zelda games hehe, it's pretty much peak Zelda to me in a lot of way, second would be Wind Waker, and Third Spirit Tracks (I know, unpopular choice, but I love that game to death TBH), and Midna's character was a big part of why I loved TP so much hehe, she's just a really great character, of a really great game
Her powers are also really cool, and would make for an awesome moveset !

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Was inspired to do this today !
People often see us and the Skull Kid fans as sort of .. In a war or something, when we're mostly chill to each other really, so I thought that the best way to show this, was to make something to bring both of our fanbase together ! I hope that you guys will like it hehe
Skull Kid & Midna.png

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Was inspired to do this today !
People often see us and the Skull Kid fans as sort of .. In a war or something, when we're mostly chill to each other really, so I thought that the best way to show this, was to make something to bring both of our fanbase together ! I hope that you guys will like it hehe View attachment 279975
I very rarely see any animosity from any Zelda character supporters to another (except towards Tingle mostly) Most people that support one or the other are generally ok with the other.

Heck after Midna, Skull Kid is probably my second most wanted Zelda newcomer, between him and Impa.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
I very rarely see any animosity from any Zelda character supporters to another (except towards Tingle mostly) Most people that support one or the other are generally ok with the other.

Heck after Midna, Skull Kid is probably my second most wanted Zelda newcomer, between him and Impa.
Yup, like I said we are mostly very chill with each other, and very rarely have I seen fans going at each other throats in term of Zelda character talk, heck, the owner of the Skull Kid thread is one of my personal friends too, so .. We get along for sure hehe
It's just how outside people usually see us, a lot of people call the Zelda fanbase "the most divisive fanbase of Smash" etc ... So, it didn't cost me anything to do that, and if it can spread a bit of positivity .. Why not do it ?

After Midna, my personal MW are Tetra and Vaati for Zelda, I don't actually really want Skull Kid, but it doesn't change that I can respect the character for what he is hehe

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
In the ideal world, Midna and all the other Zelda reps requested could be in, whether they be Impa, Skull Kid, Tetra, etc.
Ah I would love to live in this world, a world where Zelda, just like Pokemon, have one warranted spot for each new game, we would have had Midna in Brawl, Ghirahim or Impa in 4, maybe a Tetra DLC, and a Champion or Skull Kid for Ult, that would have definitly be a future I would have wanted ...

But for now, I honestly think that both Midna and Skull Kid can be warranted for next time, which is why I never saw it as a "them against us" kind of deal if you get me
(Also dang I love those renders in your sig)

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yup, like I said we are mostly very chill with each other, and very rarely have I seen fans going at each other throats in term of Zelda character talk, heck, the owner of the Skull Kid thread is one of my personal friends too, so .. We get along for sure hehe
It's just how outside people usually see us, a lot of people call the Zelda fanbase "the most divisive fanbase of Smash" etc ... So, it didn't cost me anything to do that, and if it can spread a bit of positivity .. Why not do it ?

After Midna, my personal MW are Tetra and Vaati for Zelda, I don't actually really want Skull Kid, but it doesn't change that I can respect the character for what he is hehe
I think the 'division' stems from the fact that Zelda fans are generally split between characters as opposed to being toxic towards others.

Some people want Midna the most

Some want Skull Kid the most

Sone want Impa tge most

Linkle, Tetra etc...

Unlike for say DK when it was pretty much almost unanimously King K Rool across the board (with Dixie Kong being the absolute second). For Zelda there wasn't any clear cut stand out that was THE popular Zelda character for Smash. Its pretty evenly split. As a result none of them really stand out amoung other Smash hopefuls from other series.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
I think the 'division' stems from the fact that Zelda fans are generally split between characters as opposed to being toxic towards others.

Some people want Midna the most

Some want Skull Kid the most

Sone want Impa tge most

Linkle, Tetra etc...

Unlike for say DK when it was pretty much almost unanimously King K Rool across the board (with Dixie Kong being the absolute second). For Zelda there wasn't any clear cut stand out that was THE popular Zelda character for Smash. Its pretty evenly split. As a result none of them really stand out amoung other Smash hopefuls from other series.
Yeah, which make sense when we're putting in perspective the series we're talking about, and the number of reps we actually have, but yeah, I understand

Though there was a time where Midna was pretty unanimous, with Vaati in second, and she continued to be popular after ... But none ever got in, so of course it piled up, it's pretty logical TBH

Anyhow, I'm happy to see activity in this thread, so while I'm at it, I finally completed this a while ago, my illustrated Midna Moveset, taken from the one I wrote in the OP, thoughts on this everyone ?
1595624384398.png

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
An interesting theory regarding the BotW sequel.

If true, it could bold well for our beloved Princess of Twilight.

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
An interesting theory regarding the BotW sequel.

If true, it could bold well for our beloved Princess of Twilight.
Honestly, I share a lot of the belief and know of the hints that were presented, and it did open my eyes to some connections I didn't see before between TP Dorf and the Corpse, it's really interesting indeed, even if I think that the last bit had some ... Leap in logic, yes I believe that the Twilight Mirror being in BOTW is made on purpose, and that it hints at something, but ... The whole thing about the Hero and The Princess creating the Mirror, and re-connecting with Midna thanks to that ... I dunno, I just think we would have seen trace of such an event in Four Swords Adventure if true

I think this video make a lot of valid point, and as I said in the Rate Their Chances post I made this morning, I do believe that Midna could totally come back in BOTW 2, because there is just a LOT of connections that were made between the two, but, I think that the story won't be completed until we get BOTW 2 in hand, and while the story he made isn't bad, I don't think it have much legs to stand on as his, it's not a guessing game we can win yet IMO

Still thank you for posting it ! And I do believe things bod well for her, so let's cross our fingers on that one hehe

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Hey.

So I'm making my own Smash game concept, and Midna's on the roster. Thing is, I don't know how'd she fight. Seeing as this is her support thread, I'd imagine you guys are the go-to place for Midna pointers. Got any ideas for me?
Midna could potentially have a few ways to fight if she were added to Smash. One of the appeals of the character (besides being an amazing character as is) is that she has quite a bit to work with as far as her moveset potential or how she can play conceptually as a fighter.

Three of the most common that come up:

Solo imp form
A Featherweight Grappler. Mostly floating off the ground. She would have the ability to teleport as a recovery and possibly as her dodges as well. She has a slew of various Twilight magic that could be implemented into her moveset as projectiles disjoints, etc. Most importantly her hair can transform into a massive fist that can punch and grab and toss opponents. It could act as a command grab or as a tether grab/recovery which gives her a decent amount of physical range despite her small stature. Think of her as almost a character that's a mix between Incineroar and Mewtwo but as light and floaty as Jigglypuff. Some would argue this is the ideal way to bring Midna to Smash so she stands on her own as a character, instead of sharing the spotlight with 'yet another Link' and I definitely understand that sentiment. However I do prefer the next idea since I feel there's even more to work with than having her as a solo character. Although I wouldn't in now way be upset if this were how she was added into the game, afterall this is how she's implemented as an Assist Trophy.

A Mounted dual character with Wolf Link
She'd still function as a grappler with projectiles and Twilight Magic but paired with Wolf Link's fierceness as a beast using bites, charges, and scratches for some physical damage. He can also dig and possibly dig up some useful items with luck (maybe similar to Peach's turnips). Now whether they'd work like Duck Hunt where both characters act as one hitbox or something like Ice Climbers/Rosalina where there's two separate characters with independent health values could determine how unique they could play as a fighter. However unlike IC's or Luma if Midna gets separated from Wolf Link she can instantly teleport to Wolf Link's back instead of having to chase after Wolf Link and possibly be blocked by obstacles or other players. Doing the Duck Hunt approach would be simpler and easier to implement but the other way could possibly make for a more interesting. Maybe it could be possible to control either Wolf Link OR Midna depending on who gets KO'd first and their movesets could be drastically affected by the absence of the other. As a pair they'd have some moves that could be utilized together such as the Dark Energy Attack where an AOE surrounds Wolf Link while Midna targets any opponents in the area with Wolf Link charging at each enemy targeted that gets targeted. Or Midna floating over an enemy or ledge with Wolf Link charging towards where she was, possibly damaging any opponents that get caught. Some attacks my even be changed depending on who's present. ex. side B Wolf Link could do a command grab similar to Diddy where he pounces on the opponent but if Wolf Link's been KOd then Midna could use her Hand to grab and toss the opponent instead. And some attacks may fail altogether such as the aforementioned Dark Energy Attack.
Myself personally this would be the ideal way to implement her into Smash as I feel there's a lot of interesting dynamics to work with between Midna and Wolf Link as a pair and having a true mounted character is something Smash doesn't really have outside of Duck Hunt. And anything she could use on her own as a solo character she could potentially use along side Wolf Link. That said I'm not stingie if this isn't how she'd be implemented.

True form (echo of Zelda)
Simplest and easiest as far as development goes. Replacing a lot of Zelda's magic with Midna's Twilight Magic, possibly using something similar to Zant's Hand as a replacement of the Phantom, perhaps also implementing the Sol as a side B projectile instead of Din's Fire. Not much else needs to be said since here Midna's an echo fighter.

On top of all this you could look up her two iterations of her Hyrule Warriors movesets that can possibly derive even more ideas of how she'd play. Such as using the Mirror of Twilight as a unique moveset for her true form and summoning Shadow Wolves.

Lastly her Final Smash pretty much speaks for itself; The Fused Shadow. She summons the other pieces of the Fused Shadow as they form around her transforming her into this squid/spider like beastly abomination of Twilight as she summons a massive Twilight spear.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Midna could potentially have a few ways to fight if she were added to Smash. One of the appeals of the character (besides being an amazing character as is) is that she has quite a bit to work with as far as her moveset potential or how she can play conceptually as a fighter.

Three of the most common that come up:

Solo imp form
A Featherweight Grappler. Mostly floating off the ground. She would have the ability to teleport as a recovery and possibly as her dodges as well. She has a slew of various Twilight magic that could be implemented into her moveset as projectiles disjoints, etc. Most importantly her hair can transform into a massive fist that can punch and grab and toss opponents. It could act as a command grab or as a tether grab/recovery which gives her a decent amount of physical range despite her small stature. Think of her as almost a character that's a mix between Incineroar and Mewtwo but as light and floaty as Jigglypuff. Some would argue this is the ideal way to bring Midna to Smash so she stands on her own as a character, instead of sharing the spotlight with 'yet another Link' and I definitely understand that sentiment. However I do prefer the next idea since I feel there's even more to work with than having her as a solo character. Although I wouldn't in now way be upset if this were how she was added into the game, afterall this is how she's implemented as an Assist Trophy.

A Mounted dual character with Wolf Link
She'd still function as a grappler with projectiles and Twilight Magic but paired with Wolf Link's fierceness as a beast using bites, charges, and scratches for some physical damage. He can also dig and possibly dig up some useful items with luck (maybe similar to Peach's turnips). Now whether they'd work like Duck Hunt where both characters act as one hitbox or something like Ice Climbers/Rosalina where there's two separate characters with independent health values could determine how unique they could play as a fighter. However unlike IC's or Luma if Midna gets separated from Wolf Link she can instantly teleport to Wolf Link's back instead of having to chase after Wolf Link and possibly be blocked by obstacles or other players. Doing the Duck Hunt approach would be simpler and easier to implement but the other way could possibly make for a more interesting. Maybe it could be possible to control either Wolf Link OR Midna depending on who gets KO'd first and their movesets could be drastically affected by the absence of the other. As a pair they'd have some moves that could be utilized together such as the Dark Energy Attack where an AOE surrounds Wolf Link while Midna targets any opponents in the area with Wolf Link charging at each enemy targeted that gets targeted. Or Midna floating over an enemy or ledge with Wolf Link charging towards where she was, possibly damaging any opponents that get caught. Some attacks my even be changed depending on who's present. ex. side B Wolf Link could do a command grab similar to Diddy where he pounces on the opponent but if Wolf Link's been KOd then Midna could use her Hand to grab and toss the opponent instead. And some attacks may fail altogether such as the aforementioned Dark Energy Attack.
Myself personally this would be the ideal way to implement her into Smash as I feel there's a lot of interesting dynamics to work with between Midna and Wolf Link as a pair and having a true mounted character is something Smash doesn't really have outside of Duck Hunt. And anything she could use on her own as a solo character she could potentially use along side Wolf Link. That said I'm not stingie if this isn't how she'd be implemented.

True form (echo of Zelda)
Simplest and easiest as far as development goes. Replacing a lot of Zelda's magic with Midna's Twilight Magic, possibly using something similar to Zant's Hand as a replacement of the Phantom, perhaps also implementing the Sol as a side B projectile instead of Din's Fire. Not much else needs to be said since here Midna's an echo fighter.

On top of all this you could look up her two iterations of her Hyrule Warriors movesets that can possibly derive even more ideas of how she'd play. Such as using the Mirror of Twilight as a unique moveset for her true form and summoning Shadow Wolves.

Lastly her Final Smash pretty much speaks for itself; The Fused Shadow. She summons the other pieces of the Fused Shadow as they form around her transforming her into this squid/spider like beastly abomination of Twilight as she summons a massive Twilight spear.
Yeah, I'm kinda torn between solo Midna and rider Midna, because on one hand, I already have two Links, but on the other hand, they're different individuals, and in Wolf Link's case an entirely different type of animal. I'm leaning more towards solo, since then I wouldn't have to balance their attacks too much so one doesn't take control over the other.
That being said, it's an entire game concept, so I can bend rules and do some weird **** that wouldn't work in an actual game. Maybe I'll make Wolf Link a unique Assist Trophy that you can ride on and partially have a moveset of his own. That way we can have our cake and eat it too (And also we can have Link riding Link).
Thanks for the feedback!

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm kinda torn between solo Midna and rider Midna, because on one hand, I already have two Links, but on the other hand, they're different individuals, and in Wolf Link's case an entirely different type of animal. I'm leaning more towards solo, since then I wouldn't have to balance their attacks too much so one doesn't take control over the other.
That being said, it's an entire game concept, so I can bend rules and do some weird **** that wouldn't work in an actual game. Maybe I'll make Wolf Link a unique Assist Trophy that you can ride on and partially have a moveset of his own. That way we can have our cake and eat it too (And also we can have Link riding Link).
Thanks for the feedback!
Sorry I'm suuuuuuuuper late to respond to that, kinda forgot to check my own thread for a while .. That's my B ..
But, if you want some help with that sort of thing, I often do movesets for characters I love, and I actually made two Movesets for Midna, one for her Solo Imp Form, and one for her True Form, which are available to read in the OP !

Honestly I share a different opinion than Aethiri here, as I personally think that Solo Imp is the way to go for Midna, it's just that IMO, Wolf Link would just kinda .. Weight her down, Midna have a lot of cool stuff, while the only reasons Wolf Link isn't just a normal wolf in battle, is because Midna is here to assist him, so on a personal matter, I prefer not bothering with him, and instead focus on the Main Star, our Twilight Princess herself hehe

In anyways, don't hesitate to ask more questions about that, I'll be more than happy to help with anything you need ! I wish you good luck in making that game !

Top Bottom