• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midair momentum pivot involving B moves - Update

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npHX8BkXYCI

There seems to be some sort of technique to quickly changing your momentum used in this video. I don't know anything about it so far but I hadn't seen it posted yet so I thought I would point it out.

Update -
To do a midair momentum pivot you have to be in the air and moving in one direction. From there push B first then quickly (and I MEAN QUICKLY) tilt the control stick in the opposite direction and you can do this at any time in the air.
In case there are any doubters, Nimkip is correct.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
That has a bit of a resemblance to DJCing aerials. In SSB and SSBM you could use a double jump cancel to completely change your momentum and direction. It should definitely be a useful maneuver.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
That has a bit of a resemblance to DJCing aerials. In SSB and SSBM you could use a double jump cancel to completely change your momentum and direction. It should definitely be a useful maneuver.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I was watching it.

platnum

Smash Lord
WOW...This needs testing, It could be the most usefull advanced tech.(so fare) in brawl.

BTW, I say we call it A.D.I(Aerial directional influence).

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't seem that useful if it's for B-button only. Maybe it could be used by projectile spamming characters though.

Habanero Pepper

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be a great idea to find out if you can do this at any point in your jump.

And don't worry guys, the first person who sees this who already has Brawl will check it out immediately. OoNoiRoO should be on it pretty quickly I'd think.

EDIT: I also didn't really look to see if there was any lag after the attacks. If there wasn't, man are there going to be some interesting applications.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Good, changing directions with the B button is still in.

I heard some people saying on the boards that it could be done but it's nice to finally see a video. Anyways the fastest way to figure out how to do this is to talk to the person who put it up.

Anyone knows Japanese?

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I saw something similar to this in another vid.. but I though maybe only that specific character could use it so I ignored it, but it looks really useful

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I ran it through Google's translator and it says:
"B landing next to the air when his dash"

Looks like he's just describing what's happening.

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
I think he jumps in the air, double jumps but uses the starting frames to cancel into a behind special.

That's just my theory

shanus

Smash Hero
I think he jumps in the air, double jumps but uses the starting frames to cancel into a behind special.

That's just my theory
he does it from the ledge, meaning it can be done while only having 1 available jump. I agreed with you till he did it with young link and so on...

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
WOW...This needs testing, It could be the most usefull advanced tech.(so fare) in brawl.

BTW, I say we call it A.D.I(Aerial directional influence).
Call it "Aerial Influence of DirectionS" so the acronym will be A.I.D.S.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
This hardly deserves a name, but just in case, I think the name "air pivot" would work. It describes the technique so it's easy for new players not to get confused, plus you can't do a regular "pivot" in the air anyway.

Nimkip

Smash Rookie
To do a midair momentum pivot you have to be in the air and moving in one direction. From there push B first then quickly (and I MEAN QUICKLY) tilt the control stick in the opposite direction and you can do this at any time in the air.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
It's funny how a group of people thought this game wasn't going to be good just because there wasn't any "advanced techniques". Well now they can add one more to their list. Good find.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how a group of people thought this game wasn't going to be good just because there wasn't any "advanced techniques". Well now they can add one more to their list. Good find.
Yeah. I'm sure that these discoveries will slowly but surely build up and we will have ourselves a new competitive game.

Also - Nimkip, do you know what you're talking about? And where did you get that?
I don't deny that that's probably close to the way it's done, but I would immediately question the credibility of anyone with less than 10 posts (sometimes there are exceptions, of course).

MprisM

Smash Journeyman
In case there are any doubters, Nimkip is correct.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
fantomkitsune - Hover over the word "this" in the first line and you will see that it's hyperlinked to a video.

MprisM - I will update the first post.

Micahc

Smash Ace
Yeah, you could do this in Melee with most if the characters, it was hugely useful with Sheiks needles since you could cancel them so fast.

IronGorilla

Smash Cadet
Isn't this just the reverse B from Melee? Its really not a new technique >.>
It looks a little different. For starters, When doing a reverse B in Melee, you didn't have that much control over your aerial momentum. It also appears that some characters can reverse their momentum without actually changing the direction their character is facing.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
It's not just a reverse B. Look at Lucario in the video at around :15. He runs forward, jumps forward, does a forward B but suddenly shifts his momentum backwards. That's the main point of the video.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Wait, if this is just for discovering reverse B, I want credit for that, I found a vid of it a while ago(Oddly enough while I was looking for proof of L-canceling)
Who cares about who gets credit for it? You didn't even discover the technique. You found a video of someone else doing it.

Besides, unless you name it after yourself, which will bring much flames, no one will even remember that you came up with it.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
It's not just a reverse B. Look at Lucario in the video at around :15. He runs forward, jumps forward, does a forward B but suddenly shifts his momentum backwards. That's the main point of the video.
Thats called Directional Influence. Welcome to Smash boards >_>

And I don't really want credit for it, I just didn't know anyone was looking for this or else I would have bumped my old thread. I just assumed that it wasn't anything new so I let it die.

Top Bottom